mike315 12-Sep-18
TCTORO 12-Sep-18
HDE 12-Sep-18
Madman88240 13-Sep-18
Hog37 26-Sep-18
Muddyboots 26-Sep-18
Jgrossetete 28-Sep-18
27-Aug-18
Well boys its almost that time of year... That time where we get to hear the first bugle fly. I know its a little early, but am planning to be up in the mountains this weekend with hopes of hearing the little guys starting to chirp up! If you're hearing them let us know!

27-Aug-18
I'll be there Thursday through the 14 th. If I don't hear bugles I guess he'll froze over hahaha

27-Aug-18
You're a lucky guy Splitlimb! I can't go until the 5th, have to come home the 10th and then planning on going back up the 12th if needed.

27-Aug-18
Trophy went down last weekend but didn't hear any bugles but did hear some other elk sounds so they are moving into the area.......Yee Haw!! I am also going for the whole 14 days and I am sure at one point I will be in the middle of some big bugling bulls, just need one to make a mistake!

Hopefully it doesn't freeze over until I get one killed

27-Aug-18
They're bugling early mornings down in the gila.. Good luck guys.

27-Aug-18

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
Been hearing them bugle for over a week now. Live right next to the wilderness so I can sit on the deck with a cold one every night and listen for bugles . Just like every year cows are starting to show up...bulls won’t be far behind !!

28-Aug-18
Hate being here at work knowing I can't leave until Thursday to be able to listen to that glorious sound.

29-Aug-18
Tomorrow noon. IM OUTTA HERE!!!

29-Aug-18
Heading up this weekend for deer and the following weekend. Be hunting deer and elk sept 15 through 24th. I will be up there the whole time.

29-Aug-18

Jgrossetete's embedded Photo
Here is a buck from last weekend

29-Aug-18
That's a good looking deer!

29-Aug-18
Had small 5x, 4 spikes and 15 or so cows n calves come visit my apple tree and lawn at 3am Monday morning. They were about 20ft from my bedroom window and a spike squeal at 3am that close will definitely get you up and ready for the opener! Lol tried to get them to talk a little but only the cows n calves would talk back. Put me into the rut but my lead cow wasn't having it either!! Lol

30-Aug-18
LOL, sometimes it takes a little more aggressive nudge

31-Aug-18
Got some family hunting deer and elk up north. I'm hunting deer up north then 2nd hunt elk in Gila area. Elk are definitely talking up north. Less so in He-la area. Did see good numbers in the south and even 2 wolves trying to make a move on an elk herd. Lots of elk on cameras. Looks like the drought adversely affected antler growth this year.

05-Sep-18
Anyone seeing bulls or hearing some good bugles? Game on tomorrow up around Datil.

07-Sep-18
Northern NM bulls just starting to talk in early morning and just before dark. Bulls still together and smaller bulls trying to start to gather cows. Hunted last 6days with very little activity .

11-Sep-18
So was out in C this weekend few miles west of continental divide and heard absolutely nothing. Surprised how quiet is was!

11-Sep-18
What’s everyone’s theory on why they are not bugling?

11-Sep-18
Heard nothing in 15 from day one to couple days ago - water everywhere, no bull groups and only small cow groups. Terrible is how long time outfitter down there described it - said rut may no come on until October - the muzzy guys will love it.

11-Sep-18
They were screaming like hell on the VC last weekend while I went fishing. Tapered off by 830 or so and then heard a few more mid afternoon.

12-Sep-18
If it continues to be like this, the muzzle loader and rifle hunts are going to slaughter some elk!

12-Sep-18
12days straight in 53 and I've heard maybe 15-20 bugles. Cows, calves and small bulls are still herded up and I haven't seen bit 1 decent bull the whole time. I've spent time on the Valle Vidal and Sandia borders and it's dead quiet, thats usually my go to to hear elk talk. Muzzy hunts should hopefully be better, daughter has VV.

12-Sep-18
Several things trigger the rut. One is amount of daylight. Another is diet. If cows have not had the proper diet, it could affect the estrus cycle. This past year has been extremly dry and that may be a reason there is not much action right now.

Good luck to your daughter on her VV hunt - should be good!

13-Sep-18
They are bugling in 34. Heard bugles all morning up until around 9:00 and then late in the evening.

26-Sep-18

Hog37's embedded Photo
Hog37's embedded Photo
Bugling good in NW New Mexico

26-Sep-18
Hunted 24 days in Colorado and heard one bugle. Was out yesterday morning here in NM and found 5 bulls bugling non-stop, probably 75 bugles in the 20 minutes I was near them. The nice herd bull was really worked up and letting the little guys know who was boss. The cows didn't give a care in the world what the bulls were doing.

28-Sep-18

Brother called this one in at 16 yards

• Sitka Gear