Arkansas 05-Sep-18
Les 05-Sep-18
bigwoodsbucks22 05-Sep-18
Les 05-Sep-18
DeanMan 05-Sep-18
Les 05-Sep-18
Arkansas 05-Sep-18
29-Aug-18
I've decided to buy a climbing stand for this season but still trying to narrow down brands and features. I'm curious if anyone is using one with a bar on the front if it gets in the way of their bow. Or if the bar can be removed on your climber? I have a ladder stand and during gun season it's nice but I always flip it up when I have my bow.

29-Aug-18
I had, still have as backup, a summit climber with the open front mainly because I used to shoot with a recurve and longbow along with my compound...needed it for those two bows...Now I have a closed stand summit Goliath and never had issues with bottom cam or limb hitting it...

29-Aug-18
I love the front bar for many reasons... 1) climbing up the tree, its a lot easier when you can sit down on the bar, plus its helps to be a lot quieter. 2) I rest my bow across the front rails/bar while im sitting so I can grab it immediately without anything hanging up if I need to. 3) you can get a lot more shot positions from it. You can use the bar to lean against and get out further to make tough shots. and shoot around limbs if need be 4) great gun rest if you are gun hunting. I get my elbows right into the front bar corners and its rock solid. 5) It just feels way safer. I honestly wouldn't by any climber that didn't have a front bar. But some people love the open front, not sure why, but they do. Interested to hear from those that do like it.

29-Aug-18
Much prefer the closed front. Feel much safer and agree with bigwoodsbucks thoughts

29-Aug-18
I've never used a closed front.

I've had the same Summit Bushmaster for years and years now. Ive never found it tough to climb with, or climb quietly with. The "seat"/"handclimber" portion is decent sized and feels pretty easy to grasp while also making me feel a bit safer - important for a dude who does not like heights.

All that said, I'd consider a full front - if I feel safer up there that would be great. My suspicion is that they are made so you can shoot without the bar being in the way.

All that said, if you are reasonably fit, climbing with just the hand climber and no bar to sit on is not a challenge.

29-Aug-18
Check out Treewalker stands as they have removable front bars. I like mine a lot.

29-Aug-18
The front bar is great. I keep the base and seat close enough that in a standing position it clears easily and otherwise one can lean out a bit if needed. For seated shots, you may want to have the seat as tight as possible to give the extra clearance. I don't shoot sitting down.

29-Aug-18
I have both types of climbers and there are pros and cons to each. I find myself using the climber with the bar in front just because of the ease of climbing and seat comfort. It has one of the sling style seats and I can take a nap in it if I want to. I do have to make sure the distance between the top part and the lower part are not to far apart. If it is too high you can’t swing the bow around and shoot under your stand the rail will be in your way.

I do prefer the open shot once settled in the tree because of the 180 degree shooting capabilities while seated. Also the abilty to shoot in tight and close without worrying about that top rail. It is like sitting in a fixed stand. A real pain in the butt to climb with though.

29-Aug-18
I guess I will be the outcast of the group and say the less bars the better in a stand. My climber has no bar in front. It is a 15 year old summit. Very easy to climb with it. Just rest your arms on the side bars, grab them and up you go. I would hate to have a bar in front while bowhunting. I even find the side bars to be a pain at times because it limits mobility when seated. But it is mighty comfortable. I fall asleep in that thing all the time. Safety is a non-issue as long as you are tethered.

29-Aug-18
I prefer the closed front... safer and easier to climb. I've been using one for 20 years and never had it interfere with a shot.

30-Aug-18
I would choose a closed front climber. They feel safer, if you set it up to your height and bow length you should have no worries getting a shot off. I usually use the bar during "prime time" to lean/sit on facing my tree. I usually set up so deer approach from the rear of my tree anyway. It conceals you way better and by the time you are noticed/skylined they are usually within range.

30-Aug-18
Prefer open. Lighter and quieter. I want the lightest possible stand. I'll sacrifice the bar and a larger base.

30-Aug-18
One thing hit me thinking about this last night... One aspect of the open front that I like, is that I can get started on a tree that's really ridiculously fat for the first 2-4 feet, like so many old oaks. Those trees that are perfect 6 feet up, but look like a cypress, with a huge fat base. My stand goes on, barely, and is at a crazy steep angle... One inchworm up the tree and it's perfect. with the bar, can you get started in a situation like that or is it to hard to get onboard?

For those who like the "bar"... How do you set your seat? I like to set my seat high, so I'm almost "leaning" against the tree vs really sitting. That's not 100%, but it's generally what I'm after up there, so I have minimal motion prior to standing for a shot (I've never been a seated shooter)...

Do you find you get busted more if you are caught "flat footed" and "have" to stand to shoot with the bar?

30-Aug-18
Will, I use a web seat stretched fairly tightly across the side bars of the upper section. It slides back out of the way when I stand. When fully set up, the upper section is just high enough for the top of my knees to be level with the top section while standing. I always lean back against the tree when I'm seated.

When I see a deer while sitting, I wait for opportunities for incremental movement until I'm standing... I do the same thing when it comes to grabbing my bow, putting my release on the string, and of course, when drawing the bow. Basically, I wait for the deer to be looking at something else and then make small incremental movements. Even when I've dealt with a skittish deer, this method has served me well. One thing to keep in mind - especially during archery when there are still leaves on the trees - is that a little wind can offer some terrific "motion cover." If leaves, limbs and treetops are fluttering and swaying, that motion will allow your movements to blend in. Of course, if it's perfectly calm, you have to be that much more careful with your movements.

A couple of times, I've had deer look right up at me when in the process of standing, and I just froze for as long as it took for the deer to look away and go back to their normal behavior. I guess when you're in full head-to-toe camo, they don't realize what you are so long as you hold perfectly still.

30-Aug-18
Somewhat unrelated.... i NEVER pull my bow or gun up with a pull cord after I'm up the tree. I always have my weapon with me at all times. I have shot 3 deer on my climb up the tree. Having a bar allows me to climb in a way that i can have my bow in front of me between me and the tree so i can use it at any moment.

30-Aug-18
I always pull my bow or gun up. Much safer. I want all my concentration on the stand as I climb and my hands free at all times. Have had stands slip in the past and I wouldnt want my scoped gun or bow taking a tumble.

30-Aug-18
I am a Bar guy,.. both for treestands and drinks. I put a lot of stuff on the bar. I have a small hip pack that I attach to the bar once in position,.. you can lie your bow on it. I have considered hanging some small strips of ghillie on mine too but have not done that yet. I also have a bow holder attached to mine.

30-Aug-18

Will's Link
Ok, now I'm going off the rails... but the ideas of where to put a bow make me do this. If you dont have a 3rd hand bow holder on your climber, get one... or the copy cat's made by Saunders and other similar companies like Allen.

You can climb with the bow in it, though I choose not to. When in the stand, the bow is right there, ready to go. Minimal motion to grab it and it's vertical, so no big arc of motion to get it upright.

Some of my best "ROI" for a hunting gizmo ever, beyond a bow or treestand itself...

http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=10

30-Aug-18
I prefer open front, but I also have a Lonewolf sit n climb so its the best of both worlds the "front bar" that you sit on while climbing swings beneath the seat to get it out of the way for shots...but again I'm mostly shooting trad bows.

bwb22...thats dangerous man, not recommended at all, rather miss a shot opp than impale myself on broadheads or shoot myself. Always use a haul line for gear and hunting implements.

30-Aug-18
Same bowholder I've been using for years, Will. You're right on the mark about it keeping the bow at the ready.

01-Sep-18

SloMo's embedded Photo
SloMo's embedded Photo
Hawl line and bar for me. I use a summit SD and lay my bow across the bar . I will never get caught with my bow on a hook again lol.

04-Sep-18
To respond to the climbing with my bow thing... it would be impossible for me to get impaled on a broadhead and to drop anything for that matter. I guess it depends on the bow you shoot but my bow fits inside my stand rails and then I strap it to the stand. I should take a pic of it. Its the perfect set up. I don't even touch it when im climbing. It is literally impossible for it to fall or affect how I climb the tree. And my gun, it is always slung across my back (only hunt with a muzzleloader so I also don't prime it until im settled). 100% safe method and allows for a shot if need be when climbing up the tree. I'll take some pics this season and post my method.

05-Sep-18
I am a big fan of the Lone Wolf sit and climb. It gives you the safety of climbing with a bar, but you can also have a fairly open front while sitting. I have never felt as unsafe in it compared to their regular hand climbing model, which sits mostly like a lock-on. Years ago I had a cam hit a Summit closed front and swore them off from then on. Of course I should have been more careful, but it cost me a good shot at a good buck nonetheless.

05-Sep-18
Oh man, I was just about to pull the trigger on the Summit Viper and then I read your post Arkansas!

05-Sep-18
Les, don't be afraid. Yes your cam can hit it but just practice from it. Its very avoidable. I made the same mistake when first practicing from it. But I have shot a deer at less than 5 yards from my tree (essentially straight down) and as long as your conscious of it, theres many ways to shoot and not hit it. Simply not setting the top half too high makes it almost impossible to hit. Your cam can hit your knee in a regular lock on too. Hell, I was shooting from my lone wolf lock on this morning and my cam hit my knee. That's why I practice before the season. Your cam can hit something in almost any situation. This is why I like having the front bar. I can lean out against it and easily avoid hitting the rail. Using the front bar allows you to shoot almost 360 degrees around the tree simply by leaning against it in certain situations. Watch this video... jump to the 2:50 mark. His cam is no where near the bar. I would actually have my top half even higher than that so I can lean out better and its still wouldn't be close to hitting. Again, practice is everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLheAwBVxQ

05-Sep-18
That's a great video bwb! Thanks! Makes sense to keep the upper and lower closer together. I'm thinking I'll keep the bar somewhere above my knees enough that it won't trip me and I can lean a bit but low enough to get out of the way of my bow.

I never shoot my bow sitting down in my stand so that shouldn't be an issue.

05-Sep-18
Les are you near zone 5 if so we can get together and you can try my summit with the closed front

05-Sep-18
Thanks for the offer DeanMan, but I'm all the way out in zone 9 north. Very kind of you to offer.

05-Sep-18
I will add two more things about my Lone Wolf experience.

1) I put the Summit seat on my Lone Wold sit and climb. The Summit seat is hard to beat for comfort and it works like a champ.

2) The cast construction makes for a stand so much quieter that you would be shocked. I have not looked at recent Summits, but my old ones (and other brands) with hollow tubing were much louder when going up the tree—especially if the tree is hard. If your Lone Wolf is on the tree correctly it makes no noise at all.

Still, do what is best for you. Summits are safe and comfy for sure. The only other thing worth mentioning is the thickness of the load on your back if packing very far. I keep the Lone Wolf hand climber for that reason as well. If you have a short walk then it matters far less.

• Sitka Gear