BC173 31-Aug-18
bill v 31-Aug-18
Rut Nut 31-Aug-18
Jeff Durnell 01-Sep-18
rust4brains 02-Sep-18
bowkevin 02-Sep-18
BSKED (mobile) 03-Sep-18
31-Aug-18
(I didn't realize the guy was tangled up in his harness until after I posted the article. I thought he fell out of his tree stand.)

An Oregon hunter is in critical condition after falling from his tree stand and getting tangled in his harness over 20 feet in the air, hanging upside down for two days. The man identified as Eddie Voelker, 70, suffered critical injuries and is in a medically induced coma after being airlifted from the area near Umatilla National Forest to a hospital in Richland, Wash., KTVZ reported.

The Union County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release Voelker was found by another hunter around 11:15 a.m. Tuesday north of Highway 244, northwest of the Frazier/Four Corners area in eastern Oregon. Upon discovering Voelker, the witness had to drive to the highway in order to get cell service so he could call for help. Sheriff's deputies from Union County and nearby Umatilla County, along with U.S. Forest Service and medics from La Grande and Pendleton, were dispatched to locate Voelker.

While crew members were getting him down with a bucket truck, Voelker lost consciousness and his heart stopped beating because blood flow that had been cut off to his lower body was suddenly restored, according to KTVZ. He was then taken by ambulance to a makeshift landing zone where he was then transported to the Life Flight helicopter that took him to Kadlec Regional Medical Center, according to the press release.

A Voelker’s family friend, Jeanette Jacoby, told the East Oregonian he was put in a drug-induced coma Wednesday after doctors performed a procedure to relieve pressure on his brain. While Voelker was breathing on his own for a while, he had to be placed back on a ventilator Thursday.

Jacoby said Voelker had been alone on the hunting trip, aside from his dogs. His family has since retrieved them along with some of his gear. She also said the family is thankful to the rescuers and everyone who helped Voelker

31-Aug-18
That will be the first of many this season.

Some will not survive, some will be paralyzed forever, and some will be lucky.

31-Aug-18
A young man fell in Fayette county 2 wks ago, after the stand was set. He left something on the seat, and climbed back up to retrieve it. He slipped and fell, and now has a broken back.

No deer is worth that. Think and be safe.

31-Aug-18
Yea I saw that to. 2 freaking days in that tree ???????

Never, never , never climb a tree without someone knowing where you are(exactly) and when your feet get back on the ground when your done, Period!!

Bill v

31-Aug-18
I’m amazed he lived for 2 days hanging upside down!

Hope he recovers!

01-Sep-18
That sucks. Screw that hanging upside down for two days crap. I've been hunting from the ground for years. It's more fun, easier AND more challenging anyway.

The guy is 70 years old too. Geeze oh man. I don't like to hear that stuff. Use your heads folks. Nature's pretty, but she SURE ain't forgiving.

02-Sep-18
I'm headed out today to work on a few stands, will have my harness on. Always do!

02-Sep-18
Hey jimbo do I know the guy from fayette county

03-Sep-18
Bill V and I have a system in place. We always know where the other is hunting. If we don’t hear from each 15-20 minutes after shooting hours, a text goes out. Can’t be too safe. We both have families to go home too. Be safe this year guys.

• Sitka Gear