Jebediah 01-Sep-18
spike78 01-Sep-18
Will 01-Sep-18
arch2112 02-Sep-18
Buckshot89 04-Sep-18
31-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Well I gave the new Deadmeat head a shot but I don’t think so. I got a free sample from G5 to try out and first shot no blades opened. Second shot one blade opened. I will be sticking to fixed.

31-Aug-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I thought first shot was cuz bullseye is getting worn out so I put it in a less worn spot and still nope.

31-Aug-18
When they work they're great but... I'll stick with fixed blades.

31-Aug-18
wow that's pretty bad

31-Aug-18
Oh by the way this Block target sucks! Been a month and it’s pretty destroyed for $95!

31-Aug-18
Spike - those layered targets do stink for BH's.. Morrell's broad head target is awesome, lasts, but not easy to pull arrows. Wild on the head. I've never had one not open, amazing to see that.

01-Sep-18
You're an animal spike!! Luckily it was a target and not a deer..I shot a doe a couple of years ago..when I found what was left of her the next day I could clearly see the exit was a perfect hole the size of my shaft (he he)...no mo mechanical for me

01-Sep-18
I used Nap Spitfires for years and they worked. However the blades would occasionally break and they were always twisted and mangled. With that said, I am done with mechanicals. Just another thing with a bunch of moving parts with the potential to fail. Broadheads cannot fail. And if they do not fly right, it is because the bow is out of tune; it is not broadhead. I have a few different broadheads that have been saved in my tool box. Every single one of them shoot the same for me out to forty yards. None of my hunting lanes require a shot past 25. I decided this year to shoot the wasp drones. Fairly inexpensive and they have been around for ever. Simple, sharp.....done.

01-Sep-18
I shoot the dead meat mechanicals. The problem is usually a bur or other obstruction. They use a new positive locking system and that might be the culprit also. all are easy to find and correct . Work the blade very carefully from closed to open and if it hangs up anywhere a very small file can be used to correct things. They should open . I work each blade until its smooth as silk . After shooting the BPM practice head and zeroing the arrow I mount the dead meat put it away and in my hunting quiver. PS YouTube videos were also somewhat helpful also.

01-Sep-18
Alright so I took a lot of hell in the Big Game forum over these heads and decided to retest. I used a folded up heavy duty leaf bag and put it in front of the target and shot it 6 times. All 6 times it opened except for one blade did not open up all the way but halfway on one of the shots. I do like the head for a mechanical vs other mechanicals for a lot of reasons. I may try it out as I like the sleek design and it puts a hell of a hole in stuff. When the holes were measured against my 1 1/4” Exodus it was slightly bigger. I’m not sure it was a full 1.5” but close.

01-Sep-18
Interesting. Wonder if one blade has an issue spike? Have to admit, the design is intriguing, but 3 blade slide back heads make me more nervous than two or over the top designs.

01-Sep-18
Will, they seem like a no fail design and I’m more of a fan of the clip they have then an o ring or rubber band. They seem to take some force to unclip blades. I tried Rage in the past but it opened up constantly so I stopped using them. The only reason I’m even considering a mech is due to my torquing issue. Who knows I may be a fan of these we shall see. I do urge you to give an Exodus a shot as they are one stout nasty head. I really wish I could use them but the solid wide blades make them off course on slight torque.

01-Sep-18
What draw weight? Speed? Over all weight of the arrow? Do you have enough KE to open them up reliably? I've shot sling blades and the new Sevr's into the same type of target. No problem. They open up every time. That being said I have Exodus as well. Most likely shoot the Exodus at first. Will try a mech this season too.

01-Sep-18
No expert here, but I saw a video with NAP mechanical blades where they used a kids toy bow and they opened fine. Their point was that not much force was required. Spike I wonder if it may be related to the nature of the target (even an unused portion of it). If those blades have a way of sneaking between the target layers, then the target may not be providing much resistance of the sort useful for opening the blades. Of course, if this were the case, then you’d expect it to apply to other mechanical types also.

01-Sep-18
Jeb, the blades are closed good on these heads and I do believe the foam is too soft. I’m actually glad they held as I doubt they will open in flight.

01-Sep-18
Spike, the rages with the new shock collars, maybe 4 to 5 years now, will not come open accidentally.

02-Sep-18

arch2112's Link
This guy tests a lot of broad heads. He has found the Deadmeat bh has had some opening issues and maybe has to do with burrs remaining on the broad head where the blades rests before deploying.

04-Sep-18
All mechanicals have a slight chance of failure. None are 100% guaranteed to open eveytime even if placed properly. Fixed blade heads or even hybrid heads are 100% guaranteed to do their job everytime if placed properly. Why take a chance? Even if its less than a 1% failure I'm out of the mechanical game. Properly tuned fixed blade broadheads outperform mechanicals in every test I've seen or conducted. Your properly tuned bow/set up should be able to shoot a quality fixed blade BH in the same spot as your field point or practice tip. I sharpen my own BH's so I practice with them a lot. This brings me to another point. Have any of you ever built your own BH target? I was going through $100 dollar targets every year between me shooting my bow and my father shooting his xbow. So my father made us a broad head target that works pretty well. He took four 2"X12"X24" lumber drilled holes in each corner and placed threaded rods through with big fender washers and nuts on one side. With the initial nuts and washers facing the ground and the lumber and clean rods sticking up he stacked cardboard in between the rods and kept compressing it with the remaining boards over the threaded rods on top of the cardboard evenly until it was roughly 24" thick and so tight he felt it would stop an arrow. He is a crossbow guy due to surgery and this target stops his bolts with broad heads pretty consistently. Stops my bow with ease and has a 2'X2'X2' dimension. The only draw back is that it wears out quickly and cardboard replacement is necessary. With my families amazon addiction and order by mail way of life cardboard is easy to come by so it doesn't bother us. I imagine it would work with foam material as well, never tried it though.

• Sitka Gear