Brick 12-Sep-18
ShlongMaster 12-Sep-18
Thornton 13-Sep-18
01-Sep-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
First scrape off the year.

01-Sep-18
Looks like she was just pawing around for some grain.

01-Sep-18
Does not look like a scrape to me!

01-Sep-18
Yup looks like scrounging for some grain. Scrapes more than not have a licking branch or some other feature the deer like. I have seen scrapes year round in NY and other states, again that does not look like one. Rubs are just starting to appear here in NY, bucks coming out of velvet now. Shawn

01-Sep-18
Well what do I know. Only have ohh maybe 20+ deer from 160-210". Not only was this on a field edge there was also a licking branch above it. Again but what do I know. I should know to never post anything on bowsite because the amateurs will come on here and be evident that they are amateurs.

01-Sep-18
No amateur here bud.

01-Sep-18
Just my opinion of your opinion that a deer will paw for grain mid summer on a fresh picked corn field. Never mind that I followed his trail until I came to his scrape. Again just my opinion.

01-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I sat this wallow all day...nothin

01-Sep-18
Nice one (Insert Smile Face Here) Did you get stuck in the next mud hole? Is that why you sat there all day. LoL.

01-Sep-18
Ha! No my brother has a "rock crawler" it will go pretty much anywhere.

Just adding some brevity bud, good luck this Fall

01-Sep-18
Shawn and I have had a few disagreements on here but he is no amateur. He can speak for himself Matte but I would venture to say he has killed more deer with a recurve than most on here have with a compound. Just doesn't look like a scrape from the picture.

01-Sep-18
Ya I figured. I thought it was hilarious.

01-Sep-18
Be careful, don't tick off Thornton, he'll shoot you in the throat.

01-Sep-18
West you see that's what is wrong with people. They automatically want to discredit anything someone posts. Like I said followed the track in the gumbo as it just rained Thursday night, Corn was cut Monday. Stopped to take a picture of the scrape in hopes people would get out and maybe do scouting.

01-Sep-18
Again, looks can be deceiving and I know of Matt and also of some of the deer he has killed. Just don't look like a scrape. Shawn

01-Sep-18
Shawn it is clay loam soil. Thus it is more like play dough. Sandy loam is what most are use to where the line from a hoof maybe easier to distinguish. Maybe I'll go out Sunday and make a video as my phone camera isn't the best.

01-Sep-18
I'm not trying to discredit you, I was just suggesting what it probably is more likely. Regardless of how many big bucks you have, that looks like a doe print to me. Even if there was a "licking branch" it could well be a branch they ate.

02-Sep-18
Thonton - Making friends and winning people over since birth.

02-Sep-18
"West you see that's what is wrong with people. They automatically want to discredit anything someone posts. Like I said followed the track in the gumbo as it just rained Thursday night, Corn was cut Monday. Stopped to take a picture of the scrape in hopes people would get out and maybe do scouting."

Matte people simply stated it did not appear to look like a scrape. No one insulted you or discredited you, you did all that by yourself calling everyone "Amateurs". Post a better a picture next time.

02-Sep-18
Hey you guys care to hear an opinion from a Jersey guy ??????!!!!!

02-Sep-18
Well I would, and I won't call you an amateur if your opinion differs!!!!!!!!!!!

02-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Just MHO

02-Sep-18
Well, You all can take this to the bank, as what I am about to say is the absolute truth and can not be taken in any other context no matter dhow you look at it. You can smell it, taste it, take some to be analyzed, but this is fact, "There once was a deer standing there, and now there is not, it may be back, and it may not". Arrowspear.

02-Sep-18
Deer utilize scrapes year round to scent mark boundaries. Scraping intensives in the fall for breeding purposes. So, for as much as it hurts, I must agree with the gentleman from New Jersey. Oh, and also Chief, there was a deer there. Bottom line just about time to hunt, good luck to all.

02-Sep-18
Deer dig on dry dirt for minerals when my pond goes dry. Sometimes it's actually better to hunt than the cut bean field in front of it. Those cobs are bare so maybe she missed two kernels?

02-Sep-18
Yea I hear you Jason. I guess Matte would know a little better because he was there. All good makes for a good post.

02-Sep-18
Drove by today but didn't stop. We had been on the river Kayaking all afternoon. I'll try to get by there tomorrow and either do a video or more pictures. Since I could tell the deer was walking from following his track ( noticed it is splayed) in the first picture and about four fingers across I guess the deer to be around 200#. Bucks are heavy in the front end this the splayed track when walking. All running deer will have a splayed track. The track that looks like a doe is probably when the buck stood there scraped the ground set the foot down gently and never put his full weight thus not splaying the front track. Tracking is a lost art and something I have instilled in my kids since they were young. From stride tracking a wounded animal to figuring out where to hunt tracks tell a story especially in fresh snow and mud.

03-Sep-18
The biggest buck I have ever hunted was in Canada and he had very small hoof prints. He would have scored over 210" and weighed 300+ lbs. Bowsite Sponsor Craig McCarthy and I both followed him through a swamp in Manitoba.

03-Sep-18
You guys act like experience, effort, woodsmanship, and bowhuntin skill means something. Heck just get a crossgun and a few bags of corn and wallah, instant bowhunter. Don't know why I threw that in the conversation, but I always like to get it off my chest at least one time every year.

03-Sep-18
Never liked baiters, master or not. I say come hunt up here in NY in the mountains or anywhere else in NY. Tough to show woodsmanship in places that have very few trees!! LOL!! I would love to live in Kansas or Nebraska or other plains states and hunt whitetails for the next 20 years!! No better place to become and expert in the world. P.S I am working on it, hopefully in 2 years I will be hunting ll those great whitetail states. Shawn

03-Sep-18
Never liked baiters, master or not. I say come hunt up here in NY in the mountains or anywhere else in NY. Tough to show woodsmanship in places that have very few trees!! LOL!! I would love to live in Kansas or Nebraska or other plains states and hunt whitetails for the next 20 years!! No better place to become and expert in the world. P.S I am working on it, hopefully in 2 years I will be hunting ll those great whitetail states. Shawn

03-Sep-18
If Kansas would make baiting illegal we would see land open back up, outfitters going out of business, and our trophy deer rebound. Most new age hunters have no idea how to hunt without sitting over a pile of corn.

03-Sep-18
Finally something we agree on. I still remember in the 80's when a NR landowner relative of a rancher friend brought his big Texas tower stands to our county and feeders followed some years later. Soon there were towers and feeders everywhere. Feeders disrupt the natural deer movement and I hate them. Not to mention they make deer nocturnal in some areas.

04-Sep-18
I do agree on no feeders. I really like the no cams after seasons start as well. Seems to be working great in Montana.

04-Sep-18
Good grief, I opened this thread hoping to see a bunch of pics of scrapes and massive rubs, instead I found this back and forth... I’m REALLY glad season is almost here, we all have cabin fever!!

04-Sep-18

Brick's embedded Photo
Brick's embedded Photo
I found a line of massive rubs while I was hiking with my kids on Labor Day. I suppose you all will try to rain on my parade and tell me its too early for rubs too.

04-Sep-18
LOL, Thorton will tell you how many inches the deer that made those were GREAT STUFF

04-Sep-18
Now that's funny right there...

04-Sep-18
Very good, that buck must have a bunch of stickers around his bases and huge brow times!! LOL!! Shawn

04-Sep-18
Id say 210'' and 300lbs

04-Sep-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
Luckily for me there's another soul that watched this buck and he can vouch it's the biggest buck he's ever seen in Manitoba. It was palmated and bigger than this 200"

04-Sep-18

And bigger than this monster that I saw the other night

04-Sep-18
Always bigger when you don't get them. You know the weight and score but did not get him. Now that is funny right there.

04-Sep-18
I've shot plenty of big ones and guided a hunters to a few as well. I tend to guess too low. The last big one I shot grossed mid 180"s and when I shot him I thought he was 160"s

04-Sep-18

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Brick....Rubs can be “killer” spots, the right time of the year.

Iowa nontypical ;-)

05-Sep-18
Settle down Jason were just havin some fun bored i guess not really picken on you, but you do seemed to be concerned alot about inches? You dont have really small feet and hands do you

05-Sep-18
Yes but my nickname in college was "Tripod"...

05-Sep-18
Must of used the same tape as you did on the 200" buck above...LOL

05-Sep-18
I guess its just always so over the top. Best long distance shooter(but he missed the 350 pound 290 incher that one time), Best skeet shooter, Biggest buck, Hardest worker ever, biggest pecker ever etc.......on and on and on.....never ends. We call that a Narcissist where I come from. A true legend in his mind.

05-Sep-18
Did you measure that one Matte? I was up to 170" when my calculator crapped out and I had to get to work from the taxidermist's. I still had 4 diameter measurements and several points left to measure. He said it is an old kill from years ago. The beams were 26.5", 27", and inside spread was almost 24"

05-Sep-18
NCK - I've never said I was the best at anything but I did point out what I've accomplished when trash talkers like you started running their mouths. I can prove everything I've said about shooting.

06-Sep-18
I better go re-score my deer from 2 years ago I guess 140-ish but heck it had big feet that maybe through me off. Good thing I've got a pen an paper an can add measurements...… Anyone else ready for some treestand/duck blind therapy ?? Hey Thorton what ever happened to your Ranch in Oklahoma ?? Are you gonna hunt it this year.

06-Sep-18
Yes I am. I hunted antelope with the owner in NM last week and he told me to bring him a roast when I come back this winter.

06-Sep-18
What part of okla are you hunting?

06-Sep-18

06-Sep-18
What part of the state Jason

06-Sep-18
Now we got pecker measuring contests too? OK to lighten the mood, I was a kid 17 years old and worked after school at a huge Owens Corning plant cleaning and dumping trash. I was in the locker room and about 20 guys were going back and forth throwing money down. 20 dollar bills and saying who ever had the biggest gets the whole pot. Over 400 bucks, so I say what the hell and throw in 20. I only made 60 a week. All of a sudden a guy walks up throws down a 20 and says I will go first. They had a concrete block laid out at about waist height. He lays it out in the block, laughed picked up the money and walked away. No one said a word!!! I said who the hell was that? His name was Octavious Dubois, they called him OCK THE COCK!!! LMAO!!! True Story!! Shawn

06-Sep-18
Guys I was trying to lighten the mood, apparently nothing I say works. Luckily there is the "debate free" option for my next hunt.

06-Sep-18

06-Sep-18
Lord have mercy

Please more weather threads, or something from that midget in New Jersey again?

"Debate Free" is for cock cinder blockers

06-Sep-18

06-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

06-Sep-18
"Like & Knee" shouldn't be capitalized, and you forgot your period.

06-Sep-18
Well how did the elk hunt go?

06-Sep-18
Matte you must be talking to me because SiTO can’t afford an elk hunt. My elk hunt is not til next year with Wagonhound Outfitters. I finally have the 10 points but still buying the special license to make sure I draw.

07-Sep-18
Guy like you definitely needs an outfitter.

07-Sep-18
Does every thread on this forum turn into this kind of crap??? Lol

07-Sep-18
It does but it should not. Men ribbing men I guess. I like to come on here to post outdoors updates of what I see in the field. With my job and land I'm in great habitat 7 days a week. I also like to read about other hunters ideas and success. Four more days and I get to go on another Elk hunt and hope to share some good pictures.

07-Sep-18
When you have 2 ass hats like Thornton and sitO yea. Clearly 2 guys that need a good clean ass kicking.

07-Sep-18
Matte I thought about you the other day Scouting. I found a really good scrape. I left phone in truck or I would of taken pics

07-Sep-18
Sit is really a pretty good guy, i think Jason just never had any friends growing up to teach him how to get along with other people but i dont think hes a bad guy

07-Sep-18
Matte, it may be of concern that Todd was thinking about you, and also about clean ass's as well as ass's made into hats he could potentially put his head into? I was hoping for some more of his tiny jokes...they're so cute...I'm betting with his sisters ID and a couple tattoo's he could pass for 22?

Many may not realize that Todd made all of his money acting in the 80's, even made it onto SNL(see video). Good luck on your staged "hunt" Todd, a Duiker chasing an Elk would really be something to see.

07-Sep-18
We are all bad guys but some are better at it than others!! Shawn

07-Sep-18
As a serial killer, it's very hard to find friends

07-Sep-18
I know what you mean and when we do they dont stay around long

07-Sep-18
You're all "AMATEURS"!!!!!!! Right Matte?

07-Sep-18
I must be an amateur for sure. I don't own a paintball course and I didn't inherit any of my family's land, and I wasn't taught how to track deer across mud fields to a "scrape" and ...

07-Sep-18
Geez, and most years Kyle and I are the biggest jerks on the Kansas site. I’ve been de-throned and Kyle’s losing ground. ??

07-Sep-18
I love this site the okla site is only about hunting so boring

07-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Pretty funny shit. I can’t get to angry. Bora Bora is just too dam nice.

07-Sep-18
Thorton, One of the Paintball parks only encompasses 15 acres but I sit on 580 the other is a little larger. Family ground use to amount to 24,000 acres but with Grandma and Aunt Martha passing away a lot of it was sold. The scrape I showed here is actually on WIHA as I hunt a lot of public as well. It is ok that you disagree with me it doesn't affect my ability to track and hunt game. I hope you enjoy yourself this fall. As they say never stop learning.

07-Sep-18
Matte don’t even bother with that pussy Thornton he doesn’t know shit, we know it’s a scrape. Hope he breaks his leg ;-)

07-Sep-18
You finally replied after a jab. Good response and good luck yourself. As for Slate, maybe you should buy some hair and start lifting weights.

07-Sep-18
My bald ass would gladly meet up for a drink Thornton at your gay little place where you watch airplanes 15 minutes from your house. I will be in Kansas soon.

07-Sep-18

One Arrow's embedded Photo
One Arrow's embedded Photo
Okay, let’s get this over with... Who’s first?

07-Sep-18

NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo

08-Sep-18
Still an amateur.

08-Sep-18
Depends on whose tape measurer you use.

08-Sep-18
I am in but someone has to be first and not me. My coke can won't make it for length! Shawn

08-Sep-18
This is gettin sick.

08-Sep-18
Hey guys bowhunter's should be the class act of hunters. Time to act like it and get back to preseason hunt talk.

08-Sep-18
Tiny Elvis is classy...and cute...I don't care what anyone says

08-Sep-18
See what happens when you call everyone "Amateurs"!!!!!!!!!! When Matte goes low, the "Amateurs" go lower.

08-Sep-18
Ok, ok, ok this all played right in Pavlo's theory of classical conditioning. I rang a bell with the posting of a scrape. Amongst my peers I am fairly well respected as an accomplished hunter. I do not know if is was resentment, jealousy or just plain disrespect of questioning my findings in the field. Those comments cleary made me form an opinion which has not got out of hand. Maybe this thread will get everybody's cabim fever cleared out before Archery season opens for all of us and rifle season for some. From here on out we need, as a group to be positive. I still believe there are people who frequently look at this page needing advice and some know how. One of my favorite sayings of all time "Don't guide the guide" which means even if your Jim Shockey on a guided hi t in Iran and you think the guide is wrong don't say anything out of respect for the guide. We are all Amatuers in the shadows of great hunters but only when the sun is shinning.

08-Sep-18
Ok, I went out and prepared a ton if stands today. Here in NY I saw a couple scrapes that are there every year and I believe a year round scrape. I saw very few rubs even though most of the bucks here have shed. Shawn

08-Sep-18
You make a good point Matt but many have a hard time with that. I am who I am today from learning from others. Still learning and I love it.

08-Sep-18
Matte you seem to have a very high opinion of yourself. Now we are resentful, jealous, and disrespectful of you.

09-Sep-18
Hahaha well I guess some days I do and some days I don't. Depends who I'm conversing with.

09-Sep-18
I am learning new things constantly, that is why I like this forum. Hunting deer in Kansas is nothing like here in the Northeast. It is harder to kill deer here in the Northeast period but in Kansas it takes a different type of approach and I am learning that. I cannot wait to move out that way! Shawn

11-Sep-18

Watched this chicken kick Slate's butt and then it disappeared into the cornfield. Being an amateur, I was still able to track it across a muddy field where I'm fairly certain I watched it make a scrape (see photo). Not to mention, the guide told me the chicken was definitely making a scrape, so that confirmed it. The guide was unlicensed, but he said he had extensive experience even though he graduated from high school last year. He assured me that he had hunted on his Aunt Maude's 10,000 acres since he was 3 and he had seen this kind of chicken behavior many times before. Since I've only used a bow since 1987, I was uncertain if I was up to the task to try with an arrow so I opted for my trusty 7mag. After I killed the chicken at 507 yds, I scored him at a whopping....I don't know what. I forgot my good tape measure so I figured he was a solid 150" and the guide agreed.

11-Sep-18
Now thats some funny stuff ( props Mr. Thorton )

11-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

11-Sep-18
Jason are you sure Sito didnt help you write that

11-Sep-18
Nope, I was bored at work and high on M&Ms

11-Sep-18
You must have been eating the red ones they make me more creative. That was the funniest thing ive read on here in a long time read it 3 or 4 times. Heck i think ill read it again

12-Sep-18
Hi guys I’m new on this bow hunting fad. I am very excited for the opportunity to bring in some good rubs. Any advice for a noob?

12-Sep-18
Ask slate i think he knows alot about that kinda stuff

12-Sep-18
I've heard you should get things tuned in with bare shafts when you're just getting started.

12-Sep-18
Oh perfect. For guidance, maybe I’ll hang with Slate and Thornton when they figure out what a scrape is. Whatcha think bowhuntKs?

13-Sep-18
I wouldn't be any good for guidance. I've never killed anything with a bow or without a guide. I don't even know how to track deer, much less know whether they are taking a dump or making a scrape. I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that might be able to point you in the right direction. He can track, and judge, a buck's weight just by seeing his print in a muddy cornfield. I could hook you up with his number but I'm an amateur at this whole thing and I can't figure out how to text the guy that has his number.

• Sitka Gear