Ksgobbler 01-Sep-18
BowhuntKS 01-Sep-18
Westksbowhunter 02-Sep-18
Rich 02-Sep-18
Quailhunter 02-Sep-18
01-Sep-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
I went to Fall River this morning for our annual dove hunt. The first two fields were so crowded, I took my dogs to a different field that only had ten trucks instead of 20. Long story short, some idiot shot me twice after I warned him he was shooting at birds flying at sunflower stalk height. One pellet hit me in the throat, and the other in my leg. Both shots were straight on, and not fall-out, fired from about a hundred yards away. I walked across the field and gave him an ultimatum to his face and he left shortly after. I know KDWPT monitors this site so I have some things to point out:

First off, why only plant 4 fields on 10,000 acres? The land manager has one job to do, and out of the 4, only 1 field was good. The others were overgrown in weeds because no herbicide or tilling was done. In the 1990's the land manager new what he was doing and planted up to 7 fields, thus giving the birds more of a chance as well as keeping hunters spread out. In 2014, a guy left one of these fields in an ambulance.

2nd: Sept 1 is some people's only opportunity to hunt the entire season. I have friends who are parents and public servants. Between gas, steel shot, food, HIP stamp and hunting license, $100 is easily spent for a poor opportunity that will sometimes determine if a kid even wants to hunt ever again or not.

Just some things I wanted to point out. And yes, I got my limit by 0830

01-Sep-18
102 degree's here yesterday and mid 90's today. No dove hunting for me, not safe at all for the dogs.

01-Sep-18
My dogs gave up all excitement about the 4th bird in. It was too hot and humid.

01-Sep-18
That’s crazy imagine if it was your eye. DAM

01-Sep-18
Cooled off tonite and shot them up. Little female had a blast. Mosquito's are bad here in the tropical part of Kansas.

01-Sep-18
Killed 5 down at my pond this morning. Friends dont let friends hunt public dove fields on the opener.

01-Sep-18
Took my 10 yr old Lab out tonight, ended up just 13 short of a limit. However it was plenty for the dog and I didn't get shot in the throat.

02-Sep-18
Rained out this morning!

02-Sep-18
Glad you're OK. Everybody be careful out there. I haven't gotten out, but I hope to soon.

02-Sep-18
Went up to Kansas and hunted this weekend. We had a blast. Every puddle had birds coming in. Killed a lot of birds. We hunted near a small town that is a popular pheasant destination. Had a couple of guys on the property adjacent to us this morning. Other than that, all quiet.

• Sitka Gear