Fatkid1979 12-Sep-18
Notme 13-Sep-18
Will 13-Sep-18
Notme 13-Sep-18
Moons22 13-Sep-18
fisherick 13-Sep-18
fisherick 13-Sep-18
02-Sep-18
So I have most of the obvious scent sources tackled.

I have read that the human mouth is the largest source of odors when hunting. Personally I have brushed with baking soda the morning of the hunt. I have always thought that could be improved upon somehow.

What do you guys do? I almost wish there was like a long lasting vanilla hunters gum or something?

02-Sep-18
I use Trident original gum flavor.Seems to help. At least I think so.

02-Sep-18
Baking soda sounds right. I also use a breath spray I picked up at cabella's, I think dead down wind makes it , but who knows if that works. If it might help, and cant hurt, I'll eventually end up trying it. Hell, in the last year I've taken up saddle hunting, bought the extinguisher , and started reading a couple of books based on this crew's suggestions. If anyone is selling a bridge, just go ahead and give me a call! Lol

02-Sep-18
Breath is probably the most important variable in scent stream - that is the scent moving away from you in the tree. That and actual cell shedding. Deer have noses that are sensitive enough to detect that. More sensitive than tracking dogs.

02-Sep-18
Dead Down Wind makes Scent Prevent tooth paste. Also the wife and i grow spearmint plant for ice tee and mojitos pop the leaves in mouth before hunt. Coffee is a killer for deer stand hunting leave it at home...

02-Sep-18
So Ged agreed but how do you prepare,.. ?

I was thinking this year of doing a major listerine dose. Ya know they recommend swishing for like 30 seconds,.. they say kills 99%. So figure like 3 minutes and there should be nothing alive left in my mouth! My lips might fall off too,.. but at least I will get a shot at my buck! LMAO!

Anyways I can hear you other guys saying yah, I use chewing tobaccki and spit off the stand! :)

How about Capt. Morgan Rum,.. smells like Vanilla! Hiccup!

02-Sep-18
i brush and often chew green apple flavored gum

02-Sep-18
I breath through my nose :)

02-Sep-18
Ok I’ll go ahead and make the obligatory “I hold my breath” joke.

02-Sep-18
I chew tobacco and pee in bottles when in my stand. I tried not puttin a dip in when on stand and don’t notice a difference in deer sightings with or without. I do spit in a bottle and keep a tight lid on it but I still seem to see and shoot deer every year. Just use the wind to your advantage and everything should work out alright

02-Sep-18
I move stands all the time. Play the wind, thermals and drop milk weed.

Simply put, I don’t think you can beat a deers nose.

02-Sep-18
Stop. Nothing except a filter will do diddly squat. Take a charcoal filter - mask (one used for chemical filtering) and use it for the walk in and until a deer shows up. ( bring a large, ziplock bag) . Or use it until shooting light and switch to a charcoal filter dust mask.

Wouldn't hurt to brush your teeth now and again but it's your tongue that needs brushing. Gargle often with water. You will have less sickness and keep your mouth bacteria to a minimum.

If you want to go all the way with being scent free then a full chemical suit is your best bet. I Don't think they come in camo but you could strip down after your up your tree.

Or don't exhale.

02-Sep-18
The day the hunted can smell my breath, they are in range !

02-Sep-18
Good point Xi . I feel the same for trails that are downwind. By the time they smell something its too late.

02-Sep-18
Pi, by the time we think it's going bad, it's already gone bad. Hope all is well Brother.

02-Sep-18
Xi, spot on. Play the wind and enjoy. That said, if it feels good and boosts confidence, swish, chew gum, etc... I'll admit to having tried "Gumoflauge " in the past, and chewing winter green... at this point though, I just play the wind.

03-Sep-18
Xi, well said. Im doing very well thanks. Slimmed down to my fighting weight. Feeling good. Hope your doing well too. Xi- Pi sounds like some great sport Chanel.

Will , I admit to having chewed on pine branches . yuck. Filling my pockets with dirt too. And of course I have sprayed the sent killers, made my own and brewed an all earth tea as well. Maybe an earth Cologne would sell.

03-Sep-18
I just brush my teeth after my coffee and go hunt.

03-Sep-18
Apple Fritters from DD`s with Pumpkin Spice Latte`.

03-Sep-18
It depends if new girl is sleeping I might take a taste

of her Molson xxx toothpaste... ; )

They're gonna smell you no matter what you do..They might not figure it out but they'll smell you

03-Sep-18
I like to bring differs kinds of snacks to eat throughout the day like trail mix, peanut butter and jelly, and apples. don't know if it helps but my belly is full.

03-Sep-18
"It depends if new girl is sleeping I might take a taste ..." We have a winner. Thanks, Notme... Charming.

03-Sep-18
Major nutritional weak point for me as well SloMo... My name is Will, and I like Pumpkin Spice...

03-Sep-18
Hello Will,... Glad you could join us .

Step 1:You must first admit that you have a problem ...

" I am powerless against the muffin ."

Step 2 : the muffin has destroyed my mid section ...

Step 3: muffin is the Debil.

03-Sep-18
I have it! I am going to gargle with Doe Estrus! That should do it!

03-Sep-18
OK, at first that sounded good BB. But then I thought, What if a buck caught up with you. Let's say you fell asleep in a natural blind.

What do you think would be the flavor of the day after that?

03-Sep-18
Not gonna touch BBs post, he's a good guy. Say what you want, warm pistachio muffin and a hot pumpkin spice coffee in the duck blind on a cold morning. We're talking good living !!!!!

03-Sep-18
Pi. Now that’s funny!!! A little disturbing, but funny

03-Sep-18
Pi, nah, no muffins, but coffee... Seconds please. My poor pancreas gets a real workout from Sept to xmas thanks to pumpkin spice coffee ha ha ha.

BB - I got it. Deer LOVE to eat pumpkins (for real). There for, pumpkin spice coffee is like using Acorn cover scent. Wooo woooo! I've got cover folks!

Will

03-Sep-18
1: I am powerless against the (pumpkin spice) coffee

2: The (pumpkin spice) coffee has made me nervous and apparently destroyed my pancreas

3 : Coffee (especially the pumpkin spice) is the juice of the Debil.

See you at the next meeting. But, I think you're in denial... now you say, " No I'm Not"

04-Sep-18
No offense meant to the good guy BB. Just funnin'

As a peace offering, I say bless the wind turbine and love the solar fields. Coal is dirty, dirty, dirty.

That hurt.

04-Sep-18
Play the wind. Don't worry about scent too much, just get in the woods. Become a mobile hunter so you can move anytime anywhere, its been a big plus to my approach and the deer sightings and shot opportunities have proved it. Also good oral hygiene on a daily basis will knock odors down significantly. I'm a "basic bitch" at heart as well guys. Pumpkin spice coffee and apple fritters are wonderful.......Don't judge me!!

04-Sep-18
You doods don't believe me about pumpkin donuts, huh...

04-Sep-18
I gotta say, I'm proud of you pumpkin spice guys. It takes cajones to admit that you're connoisseurs of the international beverage of the millennial female;)

04-Sep-18
And I look damn good holding my coffee in a cute pink Yeti Rambler... ;) ha ha ha!

06-Sep-18
I have tried chewing on chlorophyl tablets I got at a healthfood store to try and minimize breath odor.

Pumpkin muffins are the bomb, but no flavored coffee for me.

12-Sep-18
I brush with peroxide. Read that online on some website. Then I will eat an apple in the stand, or chew some pine needles or sassafras

12-Sep-18
Chew pine needles,.. ? damn never tried that one. If the Lady hears of me doing this,.. which she will,. She will surely have me committed

Thanks PLH

12-Sep-18
I am giving up on scent covers for this year. This 1 guy I hunt with is 73, smells like a pack of cigarettes, has long nails, and reminds you of a hillbilly. Other than that, he is super nice and a great person to chat with. But he gets deer. So I guess it depends on where you hunt and what those deer are used to. I have deer that come to my back yard when I do laundry or make coffee. So I'll hunt from my man cave garage out back while drinking my coffee and sitting in a sofa. I'll leave the windows open and take my 10-12 yard shots. They love going back there. Hoping it works. Since I have a.new baby due 2 days before the season opens, my back garage is about as far as the wife Wil let me go to hunt this year. I might just take the new kid in there with me, weather permitting.

13-Sep-18
Fat kid, deer do what deer do and act accordingly to there surroundings..if they're used to your backyard go for it..least the drag won't be long!!!

Congrats on the new addition!!!..my stepson started to take his kid out at 8 months old..he would wrap him up in blankets and hot water bottles and stick him in his back pack..funny as shit and now at 2 the kid has no fear of heights.

13-Sep-18
FK - congrats on the future hunter entering the family! Hope everything goes smooth for the kiddo, and your spouse.

Notme, you just blew everything for me. I had you in my mind as a 35 YO free swinging bachelor... Now I am to realize you have a grand kid old enough to have a 2 year old. Admit it, you're just "Steve" from CT's alter ego :) ha ha ha!!!! Bahhhhhh I'm dyin over here man, dying!!! ha ha ha.

13-Sep-18
Will,LMFAO!!! I wish bud I wish!!!...going on 58 in Dec but the mentality of a 15 yr old..he's my x's kid but were still tight..he's actually the one to blame for me getting into this squirrely sport..oh and did I mention I'm slammin a 5'1" size 4,36dd, 41yr old hottie... ; ))))

And yes any way you look at it, Steve's way older than me...lol

13-Sep-18
Lol!!! Notme you animal

13-Sep-18
After brushing my teeth with A&H baking soda toothpaste, eat an apple on stand to freshen breath. YMMV

13-Sep-18
After brushing my teeth with A&H baking soda toothpaste, eat an apple on stand to freshen breath. YMMV

• Sitka Gear