Fine tuning broadheads
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
peterk1234 03-Sep-18
spike78 03-Sep-18
peterk1234 03-Sep-18
Will 03-Sep-18
03-Sep-18
So I was screwing around with my new broadheads this morning and I think I leaned something.

The bow is shooting good. Does not matter what broadhead I put on there they are shooting identical. However, this morning I found that my shots seemed a bit right. Not horrible, but could be better. I have been shooting a lot lately, so I am able to tell if it is me or something else when the shot is off. Field points have been pretty much spot on, not off enough for me to fuss over....until now. I started to adjust the sight a bit to get the broadheads right on target. Then I shot the field points. Well, no surprise, the field point location moved over as well. So I sighted the field points back to bullseye, being careful to make sure they are dead on. I thought to myself, maybe just maybe, the rest needs to be moved in the direction I need the broadheads to go. I moved the rest left, maybe a 1/64th of an inch. And just like that field points and broadheads were shooting identical.

So I learned a couple of things. Close enough with field points will not be close enough with broadheads. Even after walk back tuning I need to plan to tweak it even more with broadheads. Then go back to field points for the final test. The only thing I can think of is that if it is only a tiny bit out of tune, I may not pick it up with field points because the fletching will correct it immediately. Whereas it will take just a little bit longer for the fletching to correct a broadhead, and as a result it will end up hitting the target in a sightly different spot.

So, is my theory flawed, and was this all just dumb luck? Pete

03-Sep-18
Are you left handed?

03-Sep-18
Right

03-Sep-18
Peter, so you were shooting tight, then noted a slight difference between BH and FP... doing a little bit of a move of the rest got that eliminated? correct?

I'd say that's just good broad head tuning done well if that's the case.

• Sitka Gear