hickstick 11-Sep-18
Will 11-Sep-18
mrw 11-Sep-18
hickstick 12-Sep-18
Come november 12-Sep-18
Jimbo 12-Sep-18
hickstick 12-Sep-18
06-Sep-18
I've grown up an endurance sports and human performance junkie. So, even though by my standards, my 10-12hrs of sitting at a computer working (ironically, on training plans for endurance athletes) has helped me be far less fit than I once was, I still cycle roads or trails several times a week, hike, paddle, xc ski, snow shoe and hit the gym. It's just random now given Im not racing at this point.

That said, I find it pay's off during deer season. Be it long hikes with a climber or dragging a deer a good ways, with a climber and gear.

The other thread discussing open or closed face climbers got me thinking about this a bit...

I know via FaceBook that BWB22 is a fitness junkie, as is Hickstick... but how about the rest of you? Anyone else enjoy working out consistently and see the benefits during the hunt?

06-Sep-18
Not a junkie but I do watch my nutrition. You cannot out-train a bad diet. That said, I do enjoy shooting my stickbows and a couple of them are heavyweights. Daily pullups are the only targeted exercise I do and they do they help my shooting. Highly recommended. Tekoa

06-Sep-18
I mostly target abdominals. You know, meat and potatoes deserts, chips etc.

06-Sep-18
I know a lot of you like to climb . I have a couple but i like to just go out and sit. I have limited time slots to hunt . I have about 10 stands that I brush out in the summer months, move a few that don’t produce every year. I love the workouts I get squaring away stands. I crank up the fitness before Bow season. Winter months I snow shoe, cc ski and hike regularly.

06-Sep-18
Haha I wouldn't consider myself a fitness junkie Will. I actually have not been to the gym in years. I do however have a ton of active hobbies. I just get bored in the gym. So instead its hockey, moto, mtn biking, and hiking pretty much every week for me. Stuff that keeps my entertained. I do eat pretty well, despite eating a lot. I pretty much cut sugar out of my diet although I do cheat on that from time to time. I believe sugar is one of the absolute worst substances you can put in your body. But yes, being in shape definitely pays off come hunting season. Being able to get up a tree without sweating is huge. Along with those long hikes carrying a stand/gear and hopefully the drags back out.

06-Sep-18
Been jogging for 31 years now 3 or 4 times a week. Rise and shine at 4:45 on jogging days. On the off days a few sets of pushups.

06-Sep-18
Well... I'm almost 67 years old, too heavy, and I love my ice cream, Pepsi and bread.

That said, for over a month now, my wife and I have been hitting the gym at the local YMCA every morning where I get a workout on a recumbent bike for anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes. The first week was rough even making it for the half-hour. But, now I find myself regularly pushing to increase my time, the resistance setting and the distance I go via increased rpm's. The trick for me will be making this a true lifestyle change and doing whatever it takes to not miss days. I've already lost a little weight, and my energy level is much higher. But, I'm finding it is much harder to get the weight off than it was just 10 or 15 years ago. Oh well... gettin' old ain't for sissies.

06-Sep-18
I work out about 5 days a week in the morning. It's light. Do a bit of a crossfit variant 3 days and run 2 days.. more so to force myself to get out of bed every day @ 4:30 so I can get on the road (to my desk in Bolton) and avoid traffic. Played hockey through but rarely lace them up anymore because of time constraints so had to figure something else out. Cut out sugar and a whole lot of carbs about a year ago... helps w/ the energy! Tracking up north in the snow is probably the most strenuous hunting I do these days. Helps with that.

06-Sep-18
I do these little desk-exercises every day. It’s pretty pathetic, but I think better than nothing.

06-Sep-18
I try to turn everything possible into a workout. Instead of renting a backhoe or stump grinder, I do it by hand, shovel, ax, chainsaw or whatever.

Last year there were several major landscaping events that involved moving earth,( a lot of earth) Removing trees, digging trenches, moving a shed, building stone walls new gardens and clearing land. Of course, there is the regular maintenance on a home to keep me moving as well.

Most days I do my pushups, several sets ( usually during commercial or on pause). I often walk/jog when I can't find anything of profit to apply myself to. This year I decided to not replace the riding mower and grass cutting has become a new workout.

Diet and bad habits... I decided to drop some poundage ( about 25 or so) and did so with my 5-2 plan: 5 days a week I eat like a Mediterranean rabbit, Low carbs, low sugar@ salt, lean protein, oodles of veggies and lots of water. No booze of any kind all week. Weekends are more relaxed but not excessive. I need a new belt and pants.

I was flirting with high BP when I decided to go the other way. I haven't felt this good in a long time. Still strong but running light and clean.

I think dropping weight ( reducing calories and getting off of sugar/carbs, bad fats, and booze ) is the greatest boost behind feeling healthy and energized. Which in turn makes exercise less burdensome and more profitable.

I'm sure Will can provide the science behind this.

06-Sep-18
Martial arts 4-5 days a week. I'll bike for cardio as it's better for on my joints.

06-Sep-18
The military keeps me in shape (not by choice) by mandatory fitness requirements. Def pays off during a long heavy drag. Or climbing multiple trees in one day. Hiking ridges, bush whacking, etc. Deer season is where my sleep goes away so by December 31st I'm ready to hibernate.

06-Sep-18
I've been lifting for about 20 years. I used to be quite large back in my powerlifting days. Now, due to nagging shoulder and knee injuries, I can't quite lift like I used to. Getting old sucks. 40 years old now. I still weigh around 250lb. I usually only lift 3 days a week and do 3-4 days per week of cardio. I would love to get down to 225lb though.

06-Sep-18
I run 5 days a week. 5 to 7 miles during the week. One longer run on the weekend. My marathon/triathlon days ended when the kids were born. Now that they off to college, maybe I will get back into it. I like running, but I love pizza and craft beer which forces me to like running. Most days I am punishing myself with exercise only to give it all back in the kitchen. But its a fun journey.

06-Sep-18
I hate to exercise, so I have to do fun things. I was mountain biking but since my my riding partner, my dog, has been having some leg issues, I have not been out. I do not have the heart to leave her behind. So we hike and canoe more. I do some push ups and sit ups each day, and have spent a boatload of time climbing trees as I try to master my new hunting technique. I am 6 feet tall and weigh 175lbs, which I think is good for a guy closing in on 52 years young.

06-Sep-18
Pretty much only while I’m working, yard work, scouting/hunting. I don’t really watch what I eat either. I’m not fat but not skinny. Ten pounds less would be perfect.

06-Sep-18
Awesome to see how active everyone is. And Jimbo - that's awesome man. Keep at it!

Pi, it's amazing how positive exercise is on literally every aspect of your wellbeing - physically and mentally. Not exaggerating when I say that there is science for example showing that aerobic (think hiking, running, cycling, kayaking, digging a ditch for 3 hours etc) exercise is more potent at reducing depression in many folks than meds, as one example.

Taken further, increasing workforce fitness reduces the cost of insurance and lost productivity to sick time for employees significantly. I dont have the data for those at my finger tips, but anyone interested can find it in a flash if you google pubmed, which is the National Institute for Health's research data base on line.

End point, it's awesome. And it's really cool to see so many of you being healthy as part of your daily life. AWESOME!

06-Sep-18
"but I love pizza and craft beer which forces me to like running"

X2!

06-Sep-18
I lap swim1/2 mile 2-3 days per week for my cardio, sit-ups, medicine ball, small weights and rubber band exercises daily, including bow pull exercises.Also play tennis and pickleball in my sport chair few times per week.

STAYING healthy for me is a full time job as a result of my spinal cord injury.

Interesting topic- guys cannot tell you how much I miss hunting from a tree stand. Getting to my blind with my Bow and quiver in a chair across cornfields is a workout though.

06-Sep-18

Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
Dthfrmabove's embedded Photo
I do lots of 12oz curls. Does that count ???

06-Sep-18
Seriously though. I own a painting business so I climb ladders all day. On average I will climb around 150 flights of stairs a day On top of that I play hockey 2 times a week and now I started back at the gym in the weight room with my step son. So I do get more exercise than most but not as much as I used to

06-Sep-18
im fat....lol.....and i pay for come hunting season. thats said by end of shotgun season im usually down 20lbs lol

06-Sep-18
I don't do any formal working out, but I stay very active year round. I ski like a maniac in the winter. It's not uncommon for me to scout 5-10 miles a week in the off season. Many miles of walking beaches and rocky points surf casting for stripers. Today I made my second trip to re-bait bear sites. That's 4 mile long trips, so about 8 miles total, 4 of which with 80~ pounds on my back. This bear insanity definitely helps whip me in shape for deer season.

06-Sep-18
I jump to conclusions and run around avoiding responsibility - does that count?

06-Sep-18
Joe, out of curiosity what are you going to do if you shoot a bear? That’s a long damn trip. mrw- Yup that counts lol. I get up and walk to the fridge for a beer. Don’t laugh that’s 12 long trips.

06-Sep-18
great conversation piece, Will! I will make the motion that you should organize the first MA Bowite Spartan Race!.. .I will bring the craft beer and pizza! Let's all be fit enough to make old bones and enjoy the journey!

06-Sep-18
Ha - J - you need a longer season :) You all do a lot of hiking around Z5 and 6, not surprised that helps.

Brook trout - that's awesome. Cut corn is tough to walk through... a chair would be brutal.

Ill ditto Spike, HFSC... Be a heck of a challenge to pack a bear out that sort of distance.

07-Sep-18
spike, you gotta include the bathroom trips... it all adds up.

07-Sep-18
Im a systems administrator I sit at a desk all day but I do some cardio and weightlifting at nights and I have active hobbies like hiking, mountain biking and kayaking.

Been tough for me this last year though. Last summer I was mountain biking at Lake Tahoe and I went down in a corner and broke my ankle. I needed surgery and now have 9 titanium screws and a plate. Took a long time to recover from that and I further injured a tendon while going a little too hard working out a little too early.

So this year I gained about 15 lbs and I'm having a bitch of a time losing it. Ankle is about 90% healed. I'm hoping in the next few months I can get back in the shape I was last year.

07-Sep-18
As a relatively new (2 years) older hunter (58 years), I have to say I was really surprised how 'athletic' deer hunting can be. Bush wacking for a mile in the dark with a stand on your back is much more than taking a hike with the wife and kids. I always went to the gym in the winter to prepare for the extra exertion/aches and pains involved in doing gardening/landscaping in the spring. Hunting up the ante on that for sure...

But hunting requires a certain mental fitness too.... Keeping one’s composure when you fall and bang your knee and get muddy or bloody or when when you become disoriented and lose your way hiking in or out, dealing with bugs (see recent yellow jacket thread in the CT forum), sitting quietly for hours on end.

A lot of people don't understand this and would not consider it fun. But I am like a pig in mud! My hat is off to you guys who have been doing this forever....

07-Sep-18
Took up hunting at 56—that’s pretty awesome. I would be curious to know what got you started. I have 56 on the horizon and will mark on my calendar to take up something new.

07-Sep-18
Well, I always wanted to hunt as a kid... Loved archery and climbing trees... but grew up in NJ suburbs in the 1960s in a non-hunting family

Fast forward 45 years, the nest started emptying (3 daughters) which meant more time.... And my parents started dying which told me it is now or never for a lot of things...

So hunting is filling a personal/spiritual gap. I get to climb tree again, do archery, see wildlife and be present in nature. And helps be keep physically fit. As I said, I'm like a pig in mud.

BTW, Really like this forum because I know people understand all this.

Thanks for asking, Jeb.

07-Sep-18
Scout - I LOVE it. That's awesome, and such a great spirit related to hunting. Really cool that you took the signals and made the decision to give it a shot! Hope you have a great season! Will

07-Sep-18
Brad and Will, I think I did a poor job explaining how far the baits are, missed a comma I think. Each bait is about a mile from where I park, both requiring 2 trips to the bait with weight on my back, so 4 total miles with weight. Not 4 miles to the bait. I'll be solo, so if I get one I'll break it down and hike it out in 2-3 trips. Not too bad, especially compared to how far guys out west pack elk.

11-Sep-18
Well, as my name says it all, I'm a fat kid, AR 38 years old. I do physical therapy 2 times per week and a lot around the house. Wife is pregnant with 3rd kid due in 3 weeks and my other 2 are lazy. But don't get it twisted. While I have a gut, I have legs that can break your ribs if it kick you. My buddy goes to the gym 3 to 4 times per week and I can drag him and the deer up the hill. I have. So I'm fat, bald, and love to eat, but my legs are powerhouses. Thank goodness for genetics. I haven't been to a gym in over 7 years, since I left the MA DOC. But I can leg press like I didn't miss a day. Secret for fat guys in Hu ting is get a deer cart. Or an ATV. Or hunt out of your back yard and have your friends fetch the body. Lol. Enjoy.

11-Sep-18
Sorry I've been away, but at least my new "hunting blind" is almost done. 16 feet by 24 feet, full power, mini frig, keurig coffee maker, TV with a amazon firestick, and a few windows. Don't forget the couch. Looking forward to Hunting this year. Right out of my back yard.

11-Sep-18
So,Your thin as a stick and have legs like a small girl. You like ribs and have a fort. You skipped gym class because you were producing illegal children and hiding from Ice.

They say I have a derning lisability. Crap dat. I'm smaat.

Hey kid. Good to have you back.

11-Sep-18
FatKid! Good to have you back!

11-Sep-18
I will say this, I underestimate the fitness thing every year. I am 48 in good shape (do not work out) and an avid freediver so I think my legs are good shape going into the season. But, I spent last Saturday hanging a couple of stands solo and my legs have been aching since Sunday morning. I guess I use different leg muscles for climbing trees than I do for everything else. Pass me the ibuprofen.

11-Sep-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
This is good to see.

Here's my story. My father, though 'portly' all his life was always athletic. Played College baseball at Holy Cross, after college he coached & refereed/umpired every sport under the sun. He was always heavy, being 5'4" and Italian it's hard not to be. However AFTER he stopped moving, he ballooned to well over 300 #s, got type II diabetes, lost nerves in his legs, and eventually had a massive coronary event in his sleep in 2011.

I could see myself trending in that direction. Even though I did martial arts, and played beer league hockey...i was way out of condition and borderline obese (according to BMI). After my dad passed, I hit 230 pounds and hated myself. I resolved never to let myself go down the same road my dad went.

Though Im DEFINITELY still a work in progress, I feel better than I did in my 30s (just turned 50 in july). I hover around 215, now but much more of it is lean mass compared to where i was 5 years ago. Diet, metcon, running, mobility work, rock climbing, recently discovered Stand Up Paddleboarding....i do it all.

Just this passed Saturday I ran the US Navy SEAL operated Bonefrog Challenge. An Obstacle course race similar to Spartan, however real retired SEALs greet you at the finish line with a finisher medal. It was awesome.

Climbing ropes, doing monkey bars 20' in the air, all kinds of grip strength "ninja warrior" type obstacles...on top of the running....i could never do any of that 4 years ago.

11-Sep-18
I want to hate Hick, really I do...

... but nice job!

I am 56, past couple of years I came 10# shy of 300#. Used to dive a lot, and that always burned off my winter fat. Lately kids (yup, I'm an old Dad), and work (another computer/network geek here) have got me sitting and driving and not swimming and hiking. Hell, one of my last dives was 2 years ago with BowandSpear and Qdiver when I had a White Shark swimming with me. Fight to keep active, sucks fighting your way back!

11-Sep-18
59 and not hickstick fit but doing OK. Short guy at 5'6 but now at 145lb down from close to 200. Blood pressure 110/70 and all other metrics are very good. Total convert & believer in a Paleo diet and an ancestral lifestyle/fitness routine. I hunt the same areas that I did since I was in my late twenties and honestly I feel way better than I did then. The hills are easier at 59 than they were at 29. As Hick said it is never too late but you definitely need to pay attention as the years pile on. Even a few weeks of eating poorly or not moving enough and I know it.

Tekoa

11-Sep-18
Hate, Mark? Really? LOL

I didn't show you the 'before pics'. Lol.

I will say that I am naturally 'big boned' ie I'm just a wide guy...so even at my heaviest I still 'looked' like a power lifter. The lightest I ever got as an adult was in the 90s when I competed internationally in shotokan karate...i was 176 and I just looked weird LOL...wide shoulders & hips with no mass.

And to relate this back to hunting. It definitely helps....especially trying to run while dragging a buck off commuter rail tracks so it doesn't get hit by the train, (Will.) LOL. Climbing is way easier without a gut in the way. If I get bored or cold in my saddle I do pullups off a branch or a Stepp-Ladder step.

I also like to do 'off trail' scouting runs (fells running). Cover way more ground, get a real feel for the lay of the land -elevation, wetlands, saddles...you start thinking more like a critter looking for the path of least resistance which in turn helps find deer runs. I can draw & hold my 65# recurve way longer than I could a 65% let off compound 10 years ago.

Not to mention 'dead lifting' a deer onto my hitch-haul.

11-Sep-18
Love the positive stories here - very cool!

Marc - super awesome to hear about your race last weekend. Very cool!

11-Sep-18
Hick, Will and the rest of you over-achievers,

A. keep up the good work.

B. thanks for the inspiration.

12-Sep-18

Bonefrog pics just posted last night. here is the Obstacles "Black Ops" - monkey bars 20' up in the air, "the Chopper" - the four way handles are attached to a plate that spins 360 deg, with a ring inbetween each, and "Brute Force" - probably a 50# sandbag that you had to carry and work your way through the walls with 18" square holes. lol

12-Sep-18
Geeez hick. I got tired just looking at those pics. You can drag my deer any day!

12-Sep-18
That's awesome, hick. I'm betting you were feeling pretty good when those SEALs gave you that medal. Congrats on your self discipline and motivation!

12-Sep-18
Absolutely Jimbo. Ever since my best friend from highschool went thru BUD/s in the 90s, knowing how demanding it is mentally & physically just to get through that phase...i have the utmost respect for SEALs (as well as Rangers, Green Berets, MARSOC, AFSOC, PJs). It was a honor just to shake their hands and get to thank them personally for their service AND for being there.

• Sitka Gear