Brian M. 07-Sep-18
N8tureBoy 07-Sep-18
Oneeye 07-Sep-18
bigbuckbob 08-Sep-18
HolePuncher 09-Sep-18
jax2009r 10-Sep-18
Jmill 10-Sep-18
07-Sep-18
All, I own, live and hunt on 15 acres of heavily wooded forest. The land is comprised of oak, pine, ash....etc. My property is surrounded by 100+ acres of the same. Wondering if anyone has any experience in hunting land pre or post logging. I've done research and have read both sides.....how it improved the hunting or ruined it. I usually harvest 1 deer a season and see a few more than that. The surrounding area has produced some real nice bucks but I've never seen one. The $ is tempting, but I wouldnt want to ruin the land for whitetails. Any thoughts/comments/advice Thanks

07-Sep-18
If done correctly it should not only give you extra $$, but in terms of deer it should improve the deer habitat. Depending on how much of the mature trees you cut out will dictate how thick the new growth returns. New growth provides both food and shelter for deer. Both should increase the number of deer using your property

07-Sep-18
Agree with longbeard

07-Sep-18
My hunting land was logged 5 years ago. It sucked for Deer first two years then they came back to browse. The Bears showed up every rasberry and blackberry crop. Overall I think it was the best for the long term

07-Sep-18
Selective logging/clearing will also give small game a better habitat to live in. More rabbits, and maybe even the non-existent grouse.

07-Sep-18
If there are a lot of big bucks on adjacent property that you never see you might want to take an acre or two in the center of your land and make it a sanctuary where you dont hunt. Hinge cut a bunch of smaller trees to create some nasty cover and they will seek refuge there when hunters invade the property next to yours. Will also make good cover for fawns to evade the yotes in june/july.

Maybe consult a forester with regard to the logging. You could clear cut a few patches on the edges and after the new growth begins you can hunt between there and the sanctuary.

07-Sep-18
Pm me and we can discuss some specifics

08-Sep-18
I would take the ash trees out since the the emerald ash borer will kill them anyway, and it's great fire wood.

09-Sep-18
first cut and remove the large ash and birch trees (great firewood), then hinge cut smaller birch and ash to direct their movement, and provide cover and browse. leave the oaks. hug the white oaks.

10-Sep-18
once logged hunt the edges...

10-Sep-18
Thanks all

• Sitka Gear