mrw 07-Sep-18
peterk1234 08-Sep-18
Proline 08-Sep-18
TT-Pi 08-Sep-18
Cougar 09-Sep-18
07-Sep-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
peterk1234's embedded Photo
So I am two for two on kicking up deer on my latest scouting runs. This one was bedded in a low area not far from a creek and swamp. The swamp area was above him, which was feeding the creek. The sides of the creek are very steep on both sides but flatten out nice as the pitch crests. I attached a pic of the area. I have marked a tree that is near the higher ground. I am afraid to go in to the low area to set up, figuring I will never get in there without being picked off. I am hoping that when they decide to move, they will work their way up to the high ground to feed on the oaks. Good idea or bad? Should I go in to the low area?

Btw, that pinch point in the pic that goes between the two points I have marked is actually the creek I am talking about. Interesting that the topo did not pick the it up. Thx Pete

07-Sep-18
Pete i got no good advice for ya but will bump your thread for some of the more skilled folks ta see

Good luck and please tell us all how the saddle works for comfort this year ( least that is my interest)

07-Sep-18
Low areas are bad news to try and set up on. But there are exceptions to the rule. The wind will blow consistently one way in the valley. Remember the thermal rule. Up in the morning and down in the evening. Now remember the rule “ the wind will blow consistently one way in the valley “. If the wind hits the thermals then it will circle and go crazy!! Confused yet??? Lol

If it was me I would follow the creek till either you see a crossing or a run leading to some sort of food source. I hunt an area like this, a low lying swamp (bedding) that has a creek running to it. The creek starts at a field edge ( where they go to eat ) and runs downhill to it. A bitch to hunt because I can’t get in there early enough for the morning hunt and the evening hunt has the thermals pushing down the hill. I have noticed that deer will follow a creek and eventually meander off from it. Find where the wind is favorable to you. It will be a crosswind and it will probably be tight to their noses, but there will be a place that works.

That’s all I have for you. And if none of the above works then ditch the area and find a new one. Remember it for the rut, if you are jumping does from there it will be a good spot to setup 2/3 of the way to the top of the hill ( there should be a plateau somewhere up there ) to wait for bucks to come cruising

I don’t hunt hills that much because of this problem. In Ohio it was what we called. Stickers,Prickers and Hills. That’s all there was out there and it was a bitch to hunt. But when you find that one spot where they consistently go it starts to make sense.

07-Sep-18
Peter, that looks some what familiar - is that the area we discovered we both hunt, west side of the rd vs east? If so, Ill PM the answer to you.

It depends on the winds and how they circulate through the area.

My gut would be cherry pick day's that you feel the wind is right, and hunt high, but as close to the low as you can so you can get some long range viewing if possible to see how deer are using the low (if possible)... If that does not work, I'd wait till November and then go for it when you feel the wind is as ok as it could be for the spot.

The waiting is solely to minimize risk of turning a buck or older deer off on the area during daylight... That way you hit the area when bucks, at least, are at their least (relative) level of alert, and may be able to get away with a hair more.

07-Sep-18
I think if you come in low as the thermals rise any deer above you that didn't watch you come in will smell you. Is there a way you can approach from on high, and not with the wind in your face, but play the wind from the side, if you catch my drift.

08-Sep-18
Will, it not that spot.

mrw, I can definitely approach it from the high spot and not have to trample through the low area where they are bedding. I think the way I would be walking in is from the east. Good direction because it rarely blows from that direction.

I think Will's advice as well is sound as well to stay high in a spot with some decent visibility. It is surprisingly spread out where the ground is higher, so I should be able to see a fair distance.

This is a new section of public land that has become available so I am not familiar with it yet. Getting too close to the season for me to spend several days in there. I found another spot here as well. Sort of a mid ridge between low and high ground. I could not go ten feet without seeing deer droppings. It is pretty thick in there and shooting "lanes" are limited, but I can get in here for sure.

08-Sep-18
Lot of advice above. Only thing I will add is first and foremost what are you seeing for sign in there beyond kicking the deer up and wat do you see for sign from prior years? I say this only because with the heat we have had it could be a spot they were using because of the shade and proximity to water. They may not use it when things cool off. If your a gun hunter watch that spot on very cold very windy day. Deer love to seek those low spots with steep hills around them to escape the wind

08-Sep-18
Stay up high, just outside the zone and to the East. Look for White oaks and a good trail or area of movement out of the bottom thickness that brings them to the food (Oaks). Move in on them if you are too far out but don't rush it. Stay downwind and you will keep it fresh.

If it is a Buck your after then look from that high point where you would be standing in order to see and smell the girlies. Then look for cover in that area. That's where-from they will be coming to the game. If there is heavy cover in the northeast then enter from the south-east or opposite depending on where Mr. Buckloid is likely to be setting up camp.

You can't kill 'em without taking some chances. Mix it up if you are getting busted. Pick a New tree and enter on a new timeline. Hunt off hours too. Don't neglect Late morning for the rut into midday.

09-Sep-18
Hard to tell the scale but for an evening hunt you need to find the tree where ur thermals pull down over the 150 mark instead of down the drainage/ creek, but where you can still shoot to the trail. Assuming north is up, in the pic, I'd hunt it on a SSW wind just east of the ridge crest. Give the deer security of the wind being in its favor to move in daylight.

• Sitka Gear