Slate 06-Oct-18
CSAL 06-Oct-18
cherney12 06-Oct-18
LesWelch 03-Dec-18
Quailhunter 03-Dec-18
Bodyman 04-Dec-18
Thornton 04-Dec-18
08-Sep-18
I know rut will occur during November no doubt, no debate. I'm off the week that includes 14th and 17th..have always been my lucky days. Who else has consistent lucky days?

08-Sep-18
I like the five days either side of the last full moon in October and opening weekend of pheasant season. Then I'll wait till the week of Thanksgiving.

08-Sep-18
Thanksgiving week can certainly have the big guys cruising. However if my freezer is empty I'm feeling the pressure by then to let an arrow fly. My Labrador is giving me the stink eye to kill something and get the decoys loaded.

08-Sep-18
I think it varies a bit from area to area but I too like Nov. 12th through the 18th. That being said I also like the first 4-5 days of Nov. lots of chasing starting to show up that time. This is for where I hunt in Kansas not here in NY. Shawn

08-Sep-18
Relative to moon phases, do you see the same effect full vs new when there is cloud cover. I hate walking to your stand in the morning when you can see your shadow from the moon. But with clouds I don't really know if it has a big impact on movement.

08-Sep-18
The 10th-12th of November have always been great days for me. I never have luck late season like so many guys talk about. I also love Late October into the first days of November for calling and rattling. Bucks seem to respond like crazy. Never followed the moon much because I’m always off and hunt but for moon guys it looks awesome this year

08-Sep-18
Agreed on late October rattling. After that I rarely get a response. Rarely even rattle from mid November on. And only grunt if a buck is headed the wrong way.

08-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

08-Sep-18
Matte do you actually stay out of the woods till thanksgiving?

08-Sep-18
No I'm generally out there everyday working and hunting somewhat. Where I hunt is often 5 hours away either in NW or Sw Kansas. So it depends on Mule Deer itch or if something new shows up here in Central Kansas. I see in both places lock down or lack of sightings of Mature Whitetails on these dates normally 6 days after the Hunters moon for about 8 days before the Beaver moon. With that being said a hot doe changes everything.

09-Sep-18
In NW Kansas where I hunt and have only hunted 3 times the deer seem to go on lockdown around the 7th of Nov. up til about the 12 or 13th. I have killed my 3 bucks from the 12th to the 15th. This year I am hoping to kill one around the Nov 2nd or so that way I can go to Nebraskas and give it a go. Shawn

09-Sep-18
Yea Shawn I have experienced that lock down around that time also. My first day in the tree this year will be October 30th. I have killed one on November 3rd. Would be nice to get one early then head to Nebraska.

09-Sep-18
I like the single digit days in November....and then the week leading up to Thanksgiving

09-Sep-18
19th

Did twice as many true “monster buck” articles about 19th- 26th as any other 7 days.

That said, the 11th has been my son’s favorite on three of his four P and Y bucks.

09-Sep-18
Ok, in addition to lucky days, who else has experience related superstitious. I don't put much faith in moon phases when there is cloud cover. And here's the superstition, I hate seeing a falling star when walking into a morning stand.. Purely superstition or is there some kind of science behind this?

09-Sep-18
Should have added I rarely see deer after seeing a falling star.

09-Sep-18
Always thought a falling star was supposed to be good luck. None really for me.

09-Sep-18
I cut the throat of the deer from the year before and drain his blood into a mason jar. I then freeze it until opening day and take a sip every time I go out. Hhahahah just kidding. I always take my frame pack on any stalk as to save miles of going back to the truck to get one when in areas of WIHA or farmground I don't want to drive on.

09-Sep-18
Yea me too, thought it was supposed to be lucky. Guess I'll just wear my lucky hat and walk to the stand with my eyes on the ground.

09-Sep-18
I always try to have a cup of super hot tea and a couple cookies before I head out on my afternoon sits. Did that for years with my Dad as he got older and now he is gone I try to continue it. I think it helps!! :-) Shawn

09-Sep-18
That’s a cool tradition Shawn. Yea if you don’t see those stars Scott then no worries right lol

09-Sep-18
Bowhuntks, You are supposed to "catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day". that's what Perry Como, said.

09-Sep-18
Y'all can put the falling stars in your pocket. Those suckers are bad luck.

09-Sep-18
I’ve always preferred Nov. 8th -16th . If not then , I wait til late season but have to suffer with the busted up racks etc. This year however I’m going to be tagged out before Oct .1 st

09-Sep-18
Before October 1st dam Dmac you ain’t messing around lol. I hope you are brother.

10-Sep-18
The 20th through 25th are good for random roaming mature bucks. I feel the most predictable target buck sightings have been the 7th to 10th evening hunts on whatever food plots the big group of does are hitting consistently before they disappear into hiding.

10-Sep-18
Double Post

10-Sep-18
Triple Post

11-Sep-18
Thanks Slate, I made the mistake last year of waiting til the time was right and then my hunting was limited due to work . Tag sandwich was mighty costly .lol

11-Sep-18
Apparently they have been making scrapes all year this year due to overhunting and increased usage of corn feeders. The rut will actually be over by Halloween.

11-Sep-18
What part of the state you hunting Dmac?

11-Sep-18
SE , Montgomery County

11-Sep-18
I’m not far from you. Will send you PM

04-Oct-18
Found a couple fresh rubs and scrapes yesterday one seemed active. I often see early rubs but not active scrapes.

04-Oct-18
I see scrapes all year

04-Oct-18
Im sick of hearing about this supposed time of "lockdown" that hunters keep blaming their lack of deer sighting/ deer movement on. There can be a buck bedded, waiting on a nearby doe and half a mile away there might be 4 bucks chasing a doe all over creation.

04-Oct-18
You are right Thornton. But the bucks running around chasing a doe all over creation are generally young deer while the big boy is doing the breeding. That is why the best time to kill big deer is later in the rut after most of the does have come in. Then he has to go out searching. Until then, the mature buck has them lining up, and not just the skanks. Lockdown happens, sorry if you are sick of hearing about it.

04-Oct-18
Time for both of us to worry, West. I say the same thing, often, and it’s true. A friend shot one that netted 187 typical about Nov. 26. He’d spent most of the rut about 2 miles away, with a lot of does. Last I knew, it’s still the largest archery typical for a woman.

04-Oct-18
Witch is after what most call lockdown. I know bucks are chancing all fall long but I have seen big bucks lock down not moving over and acre for two days it does happen. Not meaning that smaller bucks arte still cursing

04-Oct-18
Dang'ol "cursing" bucks

04-Oct-18
Sorry I mis spelled

04-Oct-18
Damn sit are you and English professor

04-Oct-18
I thought it was great, and no...but mom was ;?)

04-Oct-18
I am a PE teacher so I guess that explains my shortcomings.

04-Oct-18
That doesn't hold water either. The biggest buck in 5 miles might be 140" and I've seen plenty of them chasing while everyone else was complaining of "lockdown"

04-Oct-18
.The biggest buck in 5 miles might be 140" and I've seen plenty of them chasing while everyone else was complaining of "lockdown"

04-Oct-18
You're starting to sound like Matte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't start calling us amateurs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lockdown happens every year. That doesn't mean that you won't see a big buck. Just that while the rest are doing most of the chasing, the big boys are doing most of the breeding. When a big buck gets with an estrus doe he is with her for 48 hours give or take. Staying bedded and tight to her. When he is done, he is off to the next, and the cycle repeats itself. Mature bucks spend more time breeding than chasing when the first does start coming in and remains that way til most of the does are bred. That is lockdown my friend, whether you like it or not. It isn't a 5 minute process.

05-Oct-18
Lockdown is also a function of the buck to doe ratio. The more does the more the biggest are hard to find. the term lockdown is the issue. It isn't impossible to kill a big boy, it just that your odds are down especially if you don't change your tactics.

05-Oct-18
You're not getting my point. I already described what you just said, my difference is that it doesn't affect all bucks at the same time, nor does it affect specific ages of bucks at the same time. If you think it does, then climb out of your stand and stalk 3 miles while glassing. There can be a booner locked down with a doe and the next valley over there can be another booner chasing does all over.

05-Oct-18
Boomer sooner?

05-Oct-18
Dang auto correct.

05-Oct-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
This buck was locked down with a doe. They wouldn't move and watched me walk by with no camo on at 200 yds. This is an area that when they see you, they usually run a mile before they stop.

05-Oct-18

1 mile away, another buck of the same age, was chasing does and had his nose to the ground for the 30 min I watched him. If I had made the statement "the bucks are on lockdown today" after seeing the first one, I would have been very incorrect.

05-Oct-18
Your argument is the same as saying there is no breeding phase if less than 100% of the bucks are breeding all times.

05-Oct-18
Pre-rut doesn’t affect all bucks at the same time, either...

05-Oct-18
Refer to my semi live hunt last year for proof these photos were taken in late November.

05-Oct-18
My biggest problem with lockdown is at home. I come home two or three days, ,without calling, late from a hunt,or trade the filled China hutch from her mom for a new bow, and my wife goes into lockdown...but sometimes for more than just a week!!!!

05-Oct-18
I saw a young buck chasing on 11/3/17. Was certain the seeking/chasing phase was on, but by golly there was an older buck acting like nothin was happening. Guess the rut was over, or hadn’t started, or something

05-Oct-18
I think that’s called locked out (of the house)

05-Oct-18
Was it the young buck you shot? Maybe the old buck didn't have a hot doe nearby?

05-Oct-18
Can’t think right now. Busy grinding up a bow killed antelope. Not that you would know what that’s like. You keep posting fishing pictures until you can get the rifle out. I’m sure there will still be a mature buck for you that’s hungry after lockdown ends.

05-Oct-18
I was shooting bucks that size with a bow in high school. I passed on an antelope last year with a bow that was older than the one you shot this year. You are partially right, I'm headed out on an elk hunt shortly and I can't wait! I would think you waited a bit long to process that antelope.

05-Oct-18
Meat goes bad in the refrigerator in 5 days and there is no lockdown. Got it.

05-Oct-18
My bad. Didn’t know you bowhunted. Haven’t seen any pics of anything you’ve killed with anything but a rifle since I started bow hunting again 6 years ago.

05-Oct-18
I'm wearing an ankle braclet...does that count as "lockdown"?

Seriously though, they ain't "antelope" you DA's

05-Oct-18
Don’t get me wrong, rifle hunting is cool. They probably have their own site, though?

05-Oct-18

Heres my late season bowkill last year and I shot a turkey this spring by stalking

05-Oct-18
Should we start referring to each other strictly as Homo sapiens? Or would you be less annoyed with American antelope, prong buck, pronghorn antelope, prairie antelope? Stop being so all-knowing, DA. You are starting to sound Thornton.

05-Oct-18
Should we contact KDWPT and suggest a name change on the website. Says there is an antelope season open right now. The horror.

05-Oct-18
This is so much fun!!!

05-Oct-18
Nice buck, congrats!

05-Oct-18
Do you hate it when people call a football a pigskin? When someone hits a home run and calls it a dinger or big fly or round tripper it must drive you nuts.

05-Oct-18
Hell, I guess you probably say American football every time you are talking about that tackling game.

05-Oct-18
Let's change the name of the site to the "Matte and Thornton Forum".

05-Oct-18
I've been on the okla site reading about hunting got board this is so much more entertaining

05-Oct-18
Patrick...oh Patrick...Fitz-Gerald

I'll give you and "slight" a moment to look that up ;?)

06-Oct-18
That’s a nice buck there Jason.

06-Oct-18
I have to agree with Thornton to a point. Bucks may stuck with the same doe up to 48 hours. Does the pair not est for 2 days. Once they are done he moves on to look for the next one. What if you have e 2 mature bucks in your area. They both may pick up does a day a part. One would be done and searching while the other is locked down. He picks up another doe and "locks down" the other just got done with his first and is on the search. I think it's really difficult to say that every mature buck is with a doe for a week straight and that none of them eat for those days at all....

06-Oct-18
Who said that?

03-Dec-18
Geez you guys :)

03-Dec-18
Frank, our site is boring... maybe some of these guys need to move to Oklahoma. Or, better yet, I can move to Kansas and hunt their birds and deer all the time.

04-Dec-18
Aaron I heard Thornton was moving here because our deer hunting is so good

04-Dec-18
I might, you never know. Land is cheaper down there

• Sitka Gear