Huntcell 03-Oct-18
Cheetah8799 03-Oct-18
cubdrvr 04-Oct-18
JMG 04-Oct-18
PatrickK 06-Oct-18
Huntcell 09-Oct-18
BigOzzie 15-Oct-18
12-Sep-18
Drew Montana Moose Unit 315 after like 18 year of applying I finally drew a Montana moose tag, in the year that I have retired , thanks Montana.

this triangular shaped moose unit 315 is located in southwest Montana with the north boundary being the interstate between Bozeman and Livingston and the east boundary the Yellowstone river and the south and west boundary is primarily the Bozeman creek area. It is part of elk & deer units 314,301 and 311 for reference as most are not too familiar with moose units and as this unit has only allocated 2 tags per year. Montana is extremely generous with the length of the season. I will be concentrating my efforts, late Sept.-early Oct., as the rut will have the moose up and about. Which should make it doable with archery and calling them in. the population is down from historic levels but is on the rebuilding upswing from what I read.

Anyone know of packers in the area? as lots of trail heads appear to be gated at the lower elevations. which will make for a long pack out on foot. Is Dry ice available in either Bozeman or Livingston? What is and where to buy the best bear spray?

from my weather app sure has not rained much in this area during the summer, is this normal for summer moisture or lack of and how are the water flows in the area.

This unit has two drainages that flow into the Gallatin River and four that flow into the Yellowstone River, Bozeman creek looks big enough, it must flow year round and and Eight mile creek in the south. One named Dry Creek that does not sound to promising. there is Bear creek, Limestone Creek, Pine creek and Sourdough creek to name a few, is anyone familiar with these in there hunting for elk or other wanderings? Do any or all of these creeks support good willow browse? My map app shows lots of what appear to be ponds though some look dry. And I see one lake, Mystic lake, that looks moosy to me.

If you have hunted or hiked or camped in these areas PM me, would like to talk. Seen any moose lately?

The lower elevation is mostly private so I can scratch that off unless some landowner would like a moose removed. Doug

12-Sep-18
Pm sent

18-Sep-18
Not familiar with area at all, just jealous that you drew a tag. oz

02-Oct-18
8 days into hunt finally seen A moose. Shot it . in process of getting it out.

03-Oct-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Only moose I seen in 8 days!
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Only moose I seen in 8 days!
Here is a pic Thanks to twoo guys that responded to my original post .

Ever little bit of intel helps. Met an archery elk hunter from Belgrade Mt on the trail one morning that gave me hot tip on some rutting Bulls he heard but didn’t see. I worked over that hot tip area for five hours and finally crossed paths with this bad boy. It is the only moose I seen in 8 days of traversing the mountains of unit 315 moose . I had a packer bring him back to the trail head . Killed him 2.75 miles in and around 1,500 of total elevation change . That area is restricted to horse, foot and bicycle only. I believe there are very few cyclist that could ride that trail. 99.9% would be walking there bike up AND down.

Cursed Montana these past 18 years for recieving Unsuccefull In the Draw for sheep,goat and moose, This year I am Praising Montana G&F. And a thanks to Montana Game Warden for putting me in contact with his friend that knew a portion of this unit very well. All G&F Area 3 personel at Bozeman were extermly helpful. Oh ya it’s a gun kill. After the first I day put the bow away. The actual being there feet on the ground, The terrain being what it is, the low population what it is, the rarity of obtaining a moose tag these days (only 2 for this unit) and at 65, that what I decided for the kill tool. And I promised the couple bowsiters I met on the trails that I would post a pic on the Montana forum if I got one. Doug

03-Oct-18
Nice bull, congratulations!

04-Oct-18
Congratulations!

04-Oct-18
Congrats on a very nice bull moose.

06-Oct-18
Great job. After 8 days were you getting nervous?

Patrick

09-Oct-18
Perhaps after 18 years of applying but to wore out to be nervous. Figured I had 3-4 days left in me to climb the Mt trails . I had two more “hot spots” to check out after that one . I was sure glad and happy I got him when I did, my packer was in the process of transitioning from guideing archery elk hunters to rifle elk hunters and Mt. goat hunters and would not have been available the next day.

Shot one 18 years ago in Wy with the bow. Back then that unit didn’t have enough NR apply for 6 tags, one of the NR tags was sold to resident. Two my buddies drew following year with zero points and killed two archery bulls in 3 days.

How things have changed. This year only one NR tag was available and a NR drew it with 19 points.

Ouch

15-Oct-18
Congrats, beautiful bull. I have not been seeing very many up here in the NW corner either. We get 10 permits in our section, and I have not seen 10 moose this year, more like 6 from spring until now. Oh well, not my turn to kill one yet anyway.

oz

• Sitka Gear