South Farm 18-Sep-18
Tonybear61 18-Sep-18
SD BuckBuster 25-Sep-18
rodb 28-Sep-18
MN_Bow_Hunter_1980 10-Oct-18
MN_Bow_Hunter_1980 10-Oct-18
Tonybear61 14-Oct-18
12-Sep-18
Still nothing in the mail.......assuming anyone who applied must have drawn a permit?????? 1,299 permits left over for the first weekend – WOW!

Camp Ripley archery hunt

Hunters who missed the lottery deadline for the Camp Ripley archery hunt can purchase surplus permits on a first-come first-served basis beginning at noon on Friday, Sept. 14.

Hunters who already received a permit will not be allowed to purchase a surplus permit.

A total of 1,299 permits remain for the first hunt which runs Thursday, Oct. 18, and Friday, Oct. 19, while 75 permits remain for the second hunt which runs Saturday, Oct. 27, and Sunday, Oct. 28. A person may only purchase a permit for one of the hunts.

13-Sep-18
Its definitely lost its draw for lots of people over the years

16-Sep-18
I got my permit and my son's permit before the weekend.

17-Sep-18
we both got our permits last week also.

17-Sep-18
I got my permit online today. I have only done this hunt once so I don't remember the good ole days but am fine with having a go at this hunt again. I did see a few really nice deer while in the woods so I am going to give it another shot. Does anyone know if we can still rent a room in the barracks?

18-Sep-18
What area of Ripley is there a smaller concentration of hunters? I've never hunted it before.

18-Sep-18
And while we're at it I need to know what lake has the most 17" crappies!??

18-Sep-18
No fishing allowed but you can take a canoe to those more remote spots, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more....

25-Sep-18
"What area of Ripley is there a smaller concentration of hunters? I've never hunted it before."

Well, I'd say that would the spot that looks the crappiest. And quite honestly, probly not a bad idea to give that a shot!

28-Sep-18
Use google earth, find a good looking spot. Don't worry about it being close to a road. Have several spots picked out, if there are several vehicles there when you get there move on to the next spot. If you get lucky and very few are there wait till light then go in and find a spot to sit. Don't be in a big hurry to get in the woods, 2000 hunters are all running around trying to get in their stands. Two hours later a lot are moving around to find a better spot that's when you need to be in a stand.

10-Oct-18
I am going to do the hunt this year. I was planning on getting a room on base. Just call the billeting office for a reservation. I am hunting alone so if anyone wants to "team" up. I would be all for that. Just shoot me a PM.

10-Oct-18
There are no more rooms available on base. Camping or off base apparently is the only option right now.

14-Oct-18
Just got back from the youth hunt. Cold, windy and some snow. Some deer were taken but not many given the lousy weather conditions. The volunteers there do a great job. I was surprised how comfortable the barracks were. Meals were great.

Also have the first hunt, not sure we will be going if the weather is the same. Long drive to see almost nothing while in the woods. Yes Ripley still has the big guys (we at least saw one on the way in on Friday). That said the wild card is the amount of people in the woods. Keeps hunters and the deer moving.

Saw some scrapes, rubs in the woods so they are just starting to think about it.

• Sitka Gear