onX Maps
DIY Camera pivot mount...
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Will 13-Sep-18
13-Sep-18

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Someone had a pic of thier DIY pivoting trail cam mount the other day, thanks! I tried, and discovered my moultrie's are 3/16 vs 1/4 sized mounting holes. The same concept applies, but it taught me that bringing the cam to the hardware store is a good idea so you can be sure the size is correct.

I used 3 washers per mount which helped keep the screws lined up better. Either side and in the middle of the eye bolts.

The axle is a 1/4" eye bolt and wing nut. I stuck with this size because you can clamp down tighter to reduce odds of the cam slowly rotating down. With that larger size, its frigging tight!

I put two up and they worked solidly, but next time out I'm going to put some cloth camo tape over the washers so they are not so shiny. For the current set I just put some leaves around the to camo them up.

Worked great and both cams are nestled about 11 feet up, I forgot to snap a pic on the tree!

Take 30" to assemble, cost like 2 to 3 bucks per mount... just bring the cam when buying parts so u get the right size...

One edited comment, while the size needed for the mounting nut on the cam may be modifiable based on your camera, after mounting these to trees, I am going to bring some 1/4" wood screw eye bolts with me next time, and try them. It may just feel a bit more durable. These are fairly small, and while I'm sure they are strong enough to hold the cam, I think they may break after a few uses if the tree is tough and "grips" them well - as an oak or what not would. I dont want that to happen, so I'm thinking the part which attaches to the tree may "up size"...

• Sitka Gear