Proline 14-Sep-18
Notme 14-Sep-18
TT-Pi 14-Sep-18
Fatkid1979 14-Sep-18
Public land hunter 14-Sep-18
xi 14-Sep-18
hickstick 14-Sep-18
13-Sep-18
So I'm getting old and losing my mind. I obviously lost my game calls. Time to buy new ones. Any thoughts? What does everybody think? Do I just buy the same ones I had? Or do I go for new ones? I had the flextone adjustable game call. That was a pretty fun one. And I had some buck one as well grunt tube. Not sure what to get now. Feel free to post links. Amazon is always preferred. I hate going to a store.

13-Sep-18
Get the extinguisher worked for Will!

13-Sep-18
Ha - moons is dead on. I'd pondered that thing for a year or two, but when Moons say's something works, I listen :). Bought it, literally feeling like one of Barnum's "sucker born every minute" types.

Then had it call in deer a few times, but I'm convinced, 100%, that it called in the 9pt I shot last year. Good call the extinguisher.

I do like the can as well and the primos roar grunt. but, based on last year, I only need the extinguisher now.

Thanks again Moons :)

13-Sep-18
I’ve called in a lot of deer with that thing. One time I hear one in the distance can’t see it so I give it the fawn bleat a few times. This doe literally comes flying in full speed and just about skids to a stop ten yards in my shooting lane. She tasted good!!

13-Sep-18
Green can call. I carry at least six with me at all times. Even to church.

13-Sep-18
I was a big rattle / call guy before but last year I made a very large effort not to use them. Keep in mind that I would blind rattle and call a lot during the rut. There have been times that it has worked like a dream, but how many other times has it alerted deer to my horrible imitation of a deer. I think there has to be a time and a place for everything. Deer density numbers and doe to buck ratios come into play here !!!

I noticed a large increase in the amount of sightings from my stand by not using any type of call. I don’t know if it had to do with the deer density numbers in the areas I hunted or just the fact of not alerting them to the fact there was a sick deer up a tree!!!!!

Over the course of time I would have to say I have only had a call / rattle work a handful of times. These were on smaller bucks who I think were just curious as to what was going on. The few times I have grunted to try and get the attention of a mature buck that was not coming my way resulted in complete failure !!! He would either run to the hills or turn tail and bolt for a few yards and stop. Maybe over calling on my part, also within 70 or so yds I will never give a grunt or challenge again. I feel they already know what is there and if something doesn’t sound right they are gone

This year there will be not a peep out of me in my stand unless it’s a new area and I don’t plan on going back again. New set ups with no action I will do a go for broke attitude at the end and pray that I find the one deer that is in the mood

Just my .02 take it for what it’s worth. If I actually knew what I was talking about I would put a monster on the wall every year. Lol

14-Sep-18
Maybe not the best but this is a true story.

Several years ago in a land far away. ( one hour drive) . I brought a friend for a bow hunt. (Happens to be where I am now hunting full time) I was just getting over a cold and had that vicious "tickle-cough" that there is no stopping. I thought a cough drop would do the trick... It didn't.

I was doing well for a while and then, just as that magic hour was approaching it began. I was turning blue trying to suppress it. Then it got out. I was thinking that the only thing that it could remotely sound like in the deer world is a short wheeze or some twisted deer sex so I followed up each fit with a sad sounding grunt noise and a doe bleat. What could I do? I covered my mouth with my hood, hacked a bit and then gave a low bellow and a bleat. I waited, sneezed, hacked, coughed and then again with the sounds ... crap.

My hunting buddy was only about 80 yards away but had a good view to the action. In came a nice 9 point Buck ( estimated at about 125-130" and big bodied ) Along came a mature Doe from the other direction and followed by a younger buck and a small doe behind them. I barely saw the movement but couldn't tell what it was. He had the right spot.

Maybe it's not so much that sound doesn't work (Especially when they get worked up) but that they come in from far enough away that we don't always see them. So, unless you can throw your voice, think about having a second person coughing and hacking in a tree, just up the trail a bit...

14-Sep-18
THE EXTINGUISHER!! I bought one last year and was amazed how well it worked.

14-Sep-18
Spot on dthfrmabove

14-Sep-18

Notme's embedded Photo
Notme's embedded Photo
I've been after this pig for a couple of years now..last year after a night of drinking and working all day I just wasn't in the mood to hunt ,but after work I did decide to go sit on a bluff over looking my stand about 70 yrds away and maybe practice some rattling/bleating..a half hr before sunset I see the tall grass at the swamps edge moving and this guy walks out..slowly he makes his way to about 25 yrds from my stand and like an ass I don't have my bow!!!..I hit the can,nothing,not even a flintch...I lightly hit the antlers, he just picked up his head and looked around..I hitem harder, same reaction...he was just happy to feed,slowly walking back into the swamp..

I learned a couple of lessons that day.

14-Sep-18
I think I get it Notme.

No need to stop drinking, it may be an attractant. But have a friend do the belching and other hangover side effects while you sit sober in your stand... Be about 75 (our average) yards from where you want them to be and still be in your stand as well. You could play the trumpet, sneeze, cough, puke or fart a lullaby ... they don't give a sh*t, so long as there is food or sex. And just for kicks bring your weapon. Thank you, Buddha.

14-Sep-18
Lol, lots of good stories and tips. I bought the Extinguisher and the Flextone Bone Collector. I'll change it up and go for broke. Thanks everyone

14-Sep-18
How you call is more important. The right call during the right time is way more important than the brand. They wouldn't sell if they didn't work, and I've called in many more deer than I've shot. If I was as good at quick reaction and shooting as I am finding/calling deer, I'd have an impressive collection on my wall.

14-Sep-18

14-Sep-18
PLH. "They wouldn't sell it if it didn't work"? Lol. Really

What about 'activated charcoal? Biscuit cutter broadheads? Deer cocaine? As Will said, there's a sucker born every minute. Lol

That being said, I love calling deer in almost as much as I love calling turkey. My favorite calls are open reeds where you use your teeth to lengthen or shorten the reed instead of an o-ring. Way easier to make bawls & bellows.

I like to switch to a can inside my pocket when they get close so there's less movement.

Rattling? Nothing beats puppet rattling...2 sets of real antlers tied to a rope running from ground to tree. Lift up and drop the antlers to the ground imitates the pawing and stomping, the antlers bang off brush, and when you lift them again they all swing together and crash like the bucks fighting. Best of all worlds. You can make one holy racket with this and all the sound comes from ground level.

• Sitka Gear