Thornton 03-Nov-18
Thornton 03-Nov-18
Thornton 03-Nov-18
Genesis 05-Nov-18
Thornton 05-Nov-18
17-Sep-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
I took my time this evening and sneaked in to an area I've never sat before. The wind was SE so I went to the NW corner of the property and climbed a hedge tree on a creek bank. Nothing for the first few hours but heat and humidity.

17-Sep-18

I went old school and didn't even take a stand. The buck I've been watching all summer is very twitchy and I didn't want a stand clanking around. He's been coming out in several areas across a 3/4 mile stretch and I wanted to be mobile.

17-Sep-18

About an hour later my cousin's dog started barking insistently and I figured the deer would wait till dark. About 30 min later some does came out with their fawns. When my cousin came down the road I watched their heads pivot on a swivel as they listened to him come up his drive. A minute later I hear him shut his door and throw something in the truck bed. Then a torque wrench, then another door...then the stupid dog again. I figured my evening was over so I climbed out of the tree only to find a doe staring at me. She took off with her twins I started the mosquito infested walk back to the truck.

18-Sep-18

I got to the ridge above the field just in time to see a ten point come out into the field about 400 yds away.

18-Sep-18

It was late and I couldn't get my phone to focus. He was nice but not quite what I'm looking for.

18-Sep-18

I'd like to see this one again.

18-Sep-18
Pretty cool hunt Thornton. Yea that is definitely some old school hunting. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on that big boy.

20-Sep-18
Nothing much better than a hedge tree to stand in. Most likely will be the same old tree until long after you croak. Good Job Jason, I loved that kind of HUNTING.

20-Sep-18

21-Sep-18

700 yds. Maybe this cool front will enable me to use a stand close to where they are coming out. Scent dispersal has been terrible with the heat.

22-Sep-18

I decided to sneak into a stand by wading down a creek. It worked too good. I got to my stand and there was a spike and doe bedded under it. The spike ran across the creek at 20 yards after staring at me for several minutes

22-Sep-18

Within an hour the deer were in the field. I had at least 6 does and several small bucks under me

22-Sep-18

Shortly after, the does and fawns filed past to feed elsewhere. Some turkeys came out out and a fawn tried to play with them. One old hen returned the favor by jumping in the air and tried to kick the fawn in the face. The fawn ran off with his mother

22-Sep-18

Sunset came with several nice 8 point bucks and a small nontypical that came out several hundred yards away. I could not get their picture due to all the foliage. An armadillo came by shortly after. The three hens walked directly underneath me and roosted about 70 yards behind my tree. I stood up on my seat to get a better look at some does in the corner and a huge deer blew less than 40 yards from me in the dark timber. It ran off snorting and it sounded very heavy. I'm guessing it was one of the bucks I'm after and I may have screwed up a very rare opportunity. Hopefully it was a different deer.

23-Sep-18
Thanks for taking us along!

23-Sep-18

Glad you're following! I went out this evening and hung a new stand where the nontypical and 8 pointers were last night. When I got to my stand, I looked at my tan camo and there were over 60 Seed ticks on the legs. I immediately went to the creek and put them in a pool and weighted them down with a rock. I hung the stand in only my underwear. When I was done, I retrieved my pants and wrung them out on a rock. I hung the pants on a limb in the tree and hunted in my underwear for about two hours until the first mosquito hit. Shortly after, a young spike came out.

23-Sep-18

A herd of does and a small buck fed down the other side of the field. At dark two does came out and fed under my tree. The biggest coon I've ever seen walked between them and went back into the woods. One of the does came under my tree and began eating leaves. She had her head down like she was feeding but she wasn't chewing. I could see her listening to me bat mosquitoes. I finally got tired of the standoff and made some noise so she'd leave. She bolted off about 20 yards and watched me get my pack ready to climb out.

23-Sep-18

23-Sep-18

27-Sep-18

I'm back to observation mode. The giant buck I watched during late summer has learned my tactics and has probably went nocturnal with the moon. I watched the three hens that walked under me last week leave the farm this evening. Just saw does and a spike.

28-Sep-18
What are your thoughts on spraying your outer clothes down with permethrin for early season hunts? Reported to be scent free, I am doubtful, but the stuff really works.

28-Sep-18
Enjoy your posts Thornton. Good Luck.

28-Sep-18
I could try it but I soak my boots in DEET and those Oak mites or seed ticks, whatever they are just hang right on

28-Sep-18
Try the permethrin. Spray on outer clothes and let dry. Just about guarantee no more ticks or skeeters. I've been using it for a least 10 years with no ticks. Turkey hunting or working stands.

28-Sep-18
I treat with permethrin. It knocks the ticks back but doesnt get rid of them. I am talking 95% reduction.

28-Sep-18

Tired of the bugs so I took my dogs dove hunting at the family farm in Butler County. I had a horse pen full of doves a few days ago but none today. Only saw about a dozen while hunting and shot 1 flying out of the neighbor's corn field.

28-Sep-18
Where does a guy order this permethrin? I wonder if you can treat a dog with it? I lost a good lab to a tick borne illness a few years ago.

28-Sep-18
Buy it at bluestem in emporia or get it off amazon.

28-Sep-18
I bought several spray bottles at a Wal-Mart somewhere for $2.50ea bud, I'll give you one.

28-Sep-18
Or google elimi tick, and get clothing, mostly camo, that’s treated for life. You don’t need Lyme or RMSF again. A good vet can sell monthly tablets for ticks for your dogs.

29-Sep-18
I've got it at Walmart, Cabela's, and Amazon. Follow the directions about spray only on outside of clothes and gear. Don't spray it on your skin or your dog. It is an insecticide not just a repellent. It will make you sick if sprayed on your skin.

29-Sep-18
Not entirely true. If you get scabies they prescribe permetherin cream.

29-Sep-18

Thanks guys. Today I volunteered at a youth mentor day that a ER doctor I work with puts on. We had 34 city kids that we taught how to shoot sporting clays. Some did really well for having little or no experience with a shotgun. 2 of my group shot 27/50. it was a very rewarding experience.

29-Sep-18
Thanks Jason, we need more of that!

29-Sep-18
VERY cool! Good job!

29-Sep-18
Heard about a guy who sprayed permethrin on his bald head because the skeeters were bad. He was puking in 5 min. So, we've been looking for another data point, any volunteers?

29-Sep-18
Well Ive had to use the cream twice with no ill effects. We used to run alot of nursing home calls when I worked EMS. I was in the district with the most. Come down with scabies. Had to miss work and see a couple doctors. A week later the front page of the paper is about a huge outbreak of scabies at a nursing home we would go to a couple times a shift. Work comp wouldnt cover it.

29-Sep-18
Permethrin is also what is on thermocell pads. Therefore you stand the chance of breathing in the vapors. I would suspect the spray, cream, and pads have differing concentration levels. I would still recommend following the directions on the bottle and not apply to skin.

30-Sep-18
Permethrin treated pants and socks today cutting firewood. Ive still pulled a dozen tiny ticks off. Most Ive ever had with treated pants. Cant imagine what it wouldve been like without.

30-Sep-18
Come on cold weather.

01-Oct-18

Fished a few ponds this evening after mowing. This big one stole the lure from a small one I was reeling in. Pretty sure I caught her this same time last fall. This pond only has a few large bass and hundreds of small ones.

01-Oct-18

Broke off another 4 pounder in the weeds right after I caught this one on a popper on 4lb test line and a 10 ft crappie rod.

01-Oct-18
Great way to spend and afternoon

01-Oct-18
Very relaxing. When I was a kid I fished several times a week. Now that I work so much, I only get a few good trips a summer. I've caught almost all my big bass in the fall and they were all caught on Mepps spinners.

01-Oct-18
My favorite kind of fishing. Very nice bass.

01-Oct-18
Thanks! I never can seem to catch any over 4-5 lbs but I'm glad when I do and I always release them.

01-Oct-18
Not much time left to do that, better wet a line while you can!

02-Oct-18
It's been pretty warm here the last few years. It's pretty easy to catch bass in these ponds all winter long anymore.

04-Oct-18

Caught several big bluegill and a bunch of small bass yesterday before the cool front hit

04-Oct-18
Jason I hope you kept a mess of those. Best eating ever

04-Oct-18
That’s not a true bluegill.

04-Oct-18
Well, unless he chooses to identify himself as a bluegill. Or a marlin, or...

04-Oct-18
It's what they call a war mouth bluegill are rounder and have a very small mouth . But still very good eating writer

04-Oct-18
We call them black perch and use them for bait, not that big. I might eat that one.

04-Oct-18
I know ks. Guys don't know much about fish in I fished lake fork 15 Times a year err caught 20 bass over eight I know what a bluegill is

04-Oct-18
There are twenty kinds of Pearch it's ok that Thornton didn't know that most people dont

04-Oct-18
Sorry frank but these are a hybrid bluegill. They lack the red eyes and larger mouth. I am very familiar with warmouth since I have fished and scuba dived in Missouri since I was a kid. This one is not a "black perch" either. It is hard to see from this pic, but all that we caught had bright yellow bellies and some were speckled with yellow sides.

04-Oct-18

Here's the green sunfish we call black perch.

05-Oct-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I caught a few of these at a golf course pond last month...bet you can't identify?

05-Oct-18
Is that a Tilapia?

05-Oct-18
Well dang, you're too smart Scott

05-Oct-18
Didn't think they could survive a Kansas winter.

05-Oct-18
I stocked 250 hybrid bluegill and 50 channel cat in my 1/3 acre pond. Checkerboard pattern on the side is a dead giveway for the hybrid. Tilapia spawn a bunch and grow quick. Alot of folks stock them for bass forage. I thought they die below 50 degrees.

05-Oct-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Full disclosure, I wasn't in KS...and we caught these in a bigger "pond" nearby.

05-Oct-18
Looks like a wallygobler

05-Oct-18
I couldn't seem to catch anything when I went to Hawaii so I pulled out the speargun and went diving.

05-Oct-18
Ornate Wrasse

Black triggerfish

08-Oct-18

Went out to my farm tonight. I was hoping the rain would help me get in without all the noise. Saw a nice flock of turkeys cross the road near Reece. Two weeks ago I saw a rooster pheasant in this area which was only the second pheasant I had seen in Greenwood County in my 37 years. Lots of doves on the roads moving ahead of the rains.

08-Oct-18

I set up on a creek crossing where I have seen some of the biggest deer on my place in the past. In 2014 I clipped a branch with an arrow from my longbow when I shot at a 150" ten point.

08-Oct-18

About 6:30, I saw two does dart across my back pasture from the neighbors. The young one crossed 300 yards in a minute, hit my scent trail due to the east wind, a ran back to the south.

08-Oct-18

After that, I saw nothing so I climbed down and waded down my creek to see if I could see anything at the other end of my ten acre beanfield. The rushing creek and wet undergrowth kept everything so quiet, I stepped into the field edge just as a small buck did the same 35 yards to my south.

08-Oct-18

After a few minutes he decided it was best to be on his way.

08-Oct-18

I headed over to the 40 acre field and encountered a doe at 50 yards. I was trying to get a look at a buck on the south side but it was really dark. Pretty sure he is a 3 year old 8 point and I was able to leave without spooking him by wading up another creek. He was still in the field when I left but I couldn't get a pic.

08-Oct-18
Jason, not to hijack your post, but, do you remember that conversation we had about an area down at Fall River WA about how spookie it felt just to be in the area, especially around that old rock house foundation? Well I took a 4 o'clock hike a few days ago just to go there to see if I got that same feeling, well, it's worse now. I swear that place has something going on that ain't natural. I don't hunt anymore, but managed to watch a very nice wide 8, lots of mass, rip up some brush. I would like to know if you go there this year, give me a heads up on how it feels to you, if you will please.

It was my favorite spot, but damn it was hard hearing stuff that ought not be hearing.

08-Oct-18
I like to hear your input Chief but I really wish you would have never told me about the noises because I stopped hiking in there in the dark after that lol. I haven't been back since 2011 or 2012 when I shot that antlerless buck there. I have seen some really big bucks north of there on private land in that draw with all the dead aerial sprayed trees. I'll send you a PM.

08-Oct-18
Yea, the aerial spraying of that draw and up the hill west has sure changed the look of things. Good luck!

08-Oct-18
I haven't been able to send or get a PM for about a week now. Give it a go see if I get it.

08-Oct-18
Chief, I sent you two private messages.

08-Oct-18
Got the first one, no second, tried to reply and nothing happens when I hit send.

09-Oct-18
I want to know more on the spooky area at Fall River. To muddy to hunt, so expand on your haunted hunting ground.

09-Oct-18
There are several church camps in that area. Maybe you were just hearing some kids goofing around?

09-Oct-18
There are no church camps in 10 miles or more and they rarely have any visitors anyway

09-Oct-18
Keep talking Thorton, this is no time to get shy.

09-Oct-18
My bad, Thornton. For some reason I thought you guys were talking about Kaw WA. I don’t know how I got that idea. I was all ready to post a screenshot to prove you wrong. Oops.

Actually, I do know how I got that idea. There are some strange concrete ruins at Kaw WA also.

28-Oct-18

A few buddies and I went to western Colorado last week for the second rifle season

28-Oct-18

It was amazing how many elk tracks we were seeing. Apparently, the elk were running between a refuge and an irrigated hay field 3-4 miles away. Western Colorado has been in a drought all summer.

28-Oct-18
That’s a great elk track. We were in that area of Fall River last year and can agree, that place is down right spooky. After dark lots of screeching noises even though we we probably the only non residents in the area.. hopefully you find out what is really going on there? Please let us know what you find,

28-Oct-18

This was big canyon country

28-Oct-18

We found a herd opening evening with a dozen cows and a young bull that was bugling from 5:30 til dark. When I left the canyon he was still bugling only 257 yards away. The next day I walked the length of a neighboring canyon and found 4 old elk carcasses

28-Oct-18

Day 2 I missed a running bull in the morning . We found him and his cows about an hour before sunset. As we were planning a wait to catch him coming back off private land: a family of hunters decided to cross the fence and stalk him. I drove up to their guide and he informed me the bull was on public land according to On X maps. I told him the bull was across a U.S. Boundary and beyond a private land fence and I had personally encountered it that morning while tracking the bull after I shot at him. His partner texted the hunters but they were already across the fence and well into the private land. All we could do was watch and hope the bull didn't get poached. Dark came and no rifle shots. The bull and his cows were nearing the public land boundary.

28-Oct-18

The trespasser's guide (the guy in Kuiu camo). I texted the local warden that evening but the hunters were back the next morning

28-Oct-18

We continued to hunt ravines an canyons putting on up to 6 miles a day. There were elk highways everywhere. I still hunted to within 30 yards of a large bedded cow elk on day 3. She jumped to her feet and we were eye to eye and then she disappeared in the junipers like she was never there

28-Oct-18
Too bad bad you couldn’t of connected on that running shot on that bull. Those are always good ethical shots to take.

Good luck to you in getting that poacher prosecuted.

I’m really surprised you didn’t hit him with all the bulls you have killed with a rifle over 1/4 mile away. Was the turet slightly off on the scope or did your range finder not give you the proper running distance and lead amount?

28-Oct-18

Went to a spot on the river where I've killed two bulls in the past. We got to watch biologists shocking fish for testing purposes

28-Oct-18

We hunted up to the end of the Black Canyon. If you've never seen it, it's the second biggest canyon in the United States. it only gets 33 minutes of sunlight a day in the bottom and there are mercats down there.

28-Oct-18
The mercats are awesome if you can catch them during daylight, they seem to only come out when the sun isn’t shining most of the day. The stonefly hatch can be awesome in the spring if you hit it right.

28-Oct-18

We encountered lots of mule deer. I thought this was a good picture with the old volcano in the background. I followed these does for several miles and they picked up 4 more

28-Oct-18

Hunted above a town where I shot my mule deer last year. We saw some nice bucks and a big bear. On the way down the mountain, a hunter started shooting at us. I was looking at him in the binocs when I realized I could see the ruby lens of his scope and then ...snap...boom..thud as the bullet hit below us not once, but three times. We wondered if it was possible we pushed an animal over the rim and we were in the wrong spot at the wrong time. The shooter disappeared over the far ridge. I encountered a witness in the ATV parking lot later and he said he didn't see any animals while the shooting was going on. Unnerved, my friend and I went back to the cabin

28-Oct-18

28-Oct-18

Mule deer hundreds of feet below in a canyon hayfield.

28-Oct-18
Apparently they are actually Ringtail Cats or "Civet Cats". My grandpa was an avid trapper and houndsman and he spoke of them being in Kansas back in the 20's-40's. I've actually never seen or heard of one in my lifetime. He also spoke of catching eels in the streams of Greenwood County before the dams were built.

28-Oct-18
We caught eels in Fall River above the lake in the 60's fishing for crappie with minnows. Have not seen one since then.

28-Oct-18
Ringtail and civets are different animals. “Civets” are spotted skunks, which both of our grandfathers used to find plentiful in Kansas.

28-Oct-18

I appreciate you two weighing in on this. I got my info from the Internet Writer but now that you mention it, I think he was talking about a skunk. I've never seen one of those either.

28-Oct-18
I’ve seen one spotted skunk and was just lucky. Ringtails occasionally show up in Kansas, but not often. Old timers tell me “civets” smell a lot worse than striped skunks.

28-Oct-18

On the way out I spotted 3 huge, full curl, bighorn sheep bedded a few feet from the bike path near Glenwood Springs. I was unable to take their photos due to traffic on I-70. On the way home I was ready but there was only 1 big ram with several smaller ones. A neat sight nonetheless

28-Oct-18
Got me curious. I never heard of a ring tail or civet. So i had to look them up. It says a ring tailed cat is also called a civet cat

28-Oct-18

writer's embedded Photo
Some online sources say the ringtail is native to eastern Kansas, but I’m not aware of any in the past 30 years. There was one about 20 years ago, in Kansas, but I can’t remember where. But enough — Thorton, did any of your crew get an elk?
writer's embedded Photo
Some online sources say the ringtail is native to eastern Kansas, but I’m not aware of any in the past 30 years. There was one about 20 years ago, in Kansas, but I can’t remember where. But enough — Thorton, did any of your crew get an elk?
According to the Kansas furbearer biologist -

28-Oct-18
Very interesting. I wonder how many other species we are destroying? The older I get, the more concerned I am with conservation. We brought home a big 6x6 and assisted our roommates, a father and son from California with getting their first bull.Saw lots of elk this year.

30-Oct-18

I mowed all day and decided to fish at one of my customer's creek. It is very small but I managed to catch 8 bass, several big enough to fry. I used the time to scout for deer sign as I have seen a very large buck here before. Only a few tracks from does and no rubs or scrapes. I did notice some very large koi carp in the stream.

30-Oct-18

30-Oct-18

There were two koi messing with a floating hedge apple in the background when I caught this nice bass

30-Oct-18

Set up in a stand I hadn't hunted in two years on a ridge with tall bluestem on one side and timber on the other. The neighbor's dog started barking and 5 minutes later a spike crossed about a hundred yards away with his nose to the ground. Mark that up next to Squirrels announcing the arrival of deer. My ADD kicked in about 10 minutes after sunset and I began my sneak back to the truck. I encountered a 140" 10 pt buck and 8 does on my way across the beans.

31-Oct-18

I chose to use a blind this evening due to the poor wind direction for my spot. 4 does were the first to arrive.

31-Oct-18

31-Oct-18

After sunset, a young 8 point showed up with his nose to the ground. He wasn't a very good hound because he lost the doe's trail

31-Oct-18

03-Nov-18

Beans aren't cut yet

03-Nov-18

Found a 3 pt shed I missed from last spring. Not bad for a 1 1/2 year old buck

03-Nov-18

15 minutes after I got in my stand, I big nontypical came by at 55 yds. His brow tines are 10" apart and he has a split G2. Very nice buck and I could tell he is very smart.

05-Nov-18
Give him two weeks and he will have lost his thinking cap.

05-Nov-18
He is a nice buck probably about 150" but I keep hoping he doesn't give anyone a shot and makes it to next year.

• Sitka Gear