>>---CTCrow---> 20-Sep-18
N8tureBoy 20-Sep-18
jax2009r 20-Sep-18
Blatch 21-Sep-18
N8tureBoy 21-Sep-18
jax2009r 21-Sep-18
jax2009r 21-Sep-18
19-Sep-18
I always did.I shot it I tag it..I've even tagged the ones I didn't find.its my decision to pull the trigger and my responsibility to own up to it...maybe I'm old school

19-Sep-18
IF he is a hunter, Yes ! go on a hunt you draw blood your done ask PAT .

19-Sep-18
Absolutely!! He killed the deer so the tag is filled. Just because something happened AFTER the deer was dead doesn't eliminate the fact that he killed it.

19-Sep-18
He’s not legally required to tag it in CT. It’s his decision morally and/or ethically.

Does it even matter in CT....he can just print up as many tags as he wants. :(

19-Sep-18
I'm sure they didn't eat the entire deer...couldn't he salvage some meat? I had this happen b4 and just trimmed off the chewed area making sure to remove all meat that was touched. I dragged the deer out since leaving it will only attract more mutts. Better to get a little meat than none!

19-Sep-18
I would call a CO and let them make the call. They "may issue" (i.e. tell him to print another) another tag. I probably wouldn't literally tag it, but I've never shot 4 deer with my bow either. I would just stop at 3 if I was lucky enough to get that many shots.

19-Sep-18
This could be a situation where you just operate with the assumption you now have 3 tags, if it was a buck you now have one less antlered tag.

Knowing I killed it, I'd probably call either a EPO or the state and just say: Here's what happened, I feel that tag is used, so I'm setting it aside, but I wanted you to know so that the "kill" report reflects reality.

20-Sep-18
The tag means NOTHING until you call it in. You can print a thousand tags. That doesnt mean you can shoot 1,000 deer.

20-Sep-18

N8tureBoy's Link
If you kill it the right thing to do is use your tag. Doesnt matter who eats it, yotes, homeless people at the shelter, mother in law or neighbors, etc.

20-Sep-18
Legally if your not in possession of the deer it does not have to be tagged

21-Sep-18
I had same situation years ago where I shot deer at dusk, had faint blood trail, and found deer half-eaten by yotes. Called EnCon and was told I had to tag it and bring to check station. At that point, EnCon had my name so it was an easy paper violation for failure to teport/check if not done so within 24 hours. Brought head and neck to check station. Got some weird stares from othet hinters and biologist said "what the hell is that?" To which I responded, "my deer." She attempted to call EnCon officer as she disagreed with reporting obligation. I thought an exception should have been made by ENCON (indeed, how often does this happen and what us real impact to herd), and disagree that "drawing blood" constitutes a kill for reporting purposes. Drawing blood is not a kill if you never recover the deer and thus I don't believe under those circumstances that the hunter would be legally required to tag the deer.

21-Sep-18
So just to play devils advocate Jax does that mean I can shoot an unlimited number of deer if I never bother to follow up my shots and posess the deer? I think some degree of common sense has to come into play. Same with what Blatch said. If an arrow nicks a deer and “draws blood” but it is obviously not a mortal wound I think that would be different.

21-Sep-18
Nature boy...the deep factors in lost deer in the amount of tags they allot....its part of the deal.....killing deer not recovering and not giving all your effort to retrieve is also against the law

I am not calling in a deer I can't find however I only shoot one or two a year

21-Sep-18
The law clearly States what needs to be tagged

• Sitka Gear