Colorado Unit 21 Help
Colorado
Contributors to this thread:
Rackchaser5740 19-Sep-18
Trophy_Taker 19-Sep-18
Big-Al 19-Sep-18
Rackchaser5740 19-Sep-18
19-Sep-18
First off I wanted to Introduce myself as being a first time poster here! I have lurked a long while but never took the plunge until this morning. I do play lots on Rokslide Forums but being more archery centered Im planning on playing here more often.

I spent my archery season this year up in Unit 21/30, carrying an OTC either sex Elk tag and a rifle Bear tag. I never did not come across a bear in the two full 4 day weekends I hunted, and ran into one elk I spooked from a nasty, steep, downfall north facing slope. Didnt even get a good look other than the rear of it running high speed away. FWIW however, I did come across both some harvested and still moving bruiser bucks and I would definitely share where if anyone is interested.

With all that said, I'm curious if anyone has actually been successful in this unit on an elk hunt? It was super dry, couldn't find water where I was told to look and overall it was hot. Didn't hear a bugle, and only had elk within archery range on one occasion, a few cow calfs on the first morning I was there. I traveled most of the southern half of the unit, from Douglass Pass to Baxter pass and along the divide road. My first pick of hunting spots turned into non accessible land due to a private gate blocking my ability to get to Rat Hole Ridge along the Utah border. I later found out the only way to hunt near Utah/Colorado is to travel through Utah and into Colorado. This is an extensive drive and was told by Utah DOW that it can be treacherous, especially as I was hunting solo. My next spot took me along the divide road east of Douglass Pass where I bumped the unknown elk, and this area is basically as steep as it gets and hard to glass.

I'm willing to work for a hunt, and put boot the miles on I did during my weekend trips but came up empty handed. As I have a muzzleloader tag for Pronghorn next weekend my archery season is over, however I'm already thinking of next September and wanted some professional advice if I should return to 21? Just an add in is that I have been collecting points for many years so my limited area options basically fall at the graces of the leftover list which we all know how that goes.

Thanks for reading and happy to be here, look forward to any thoughts or success stories from 21 you all may have!

19-Sep-18
PM sent!

19-Sep-18
PM sent.

19-Sep-18
Thanks Taker and Big Al.......Big AL I didnt get a PM, would you mind sending over again!

• Sitka Gear