Heartshot 22-Sep-18
Wild Bill 22-Sep-18
longbeard 22-Sep-18
Wild Bill 22-Sep-18
Passthrough 24-Sep-18
Tall 1 24-Sep-18
20-Sep-18

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Here is the blood trail I wanted to take everyone on.
Here is the blood trail I wanted to take everyone on.
Took a shot yesterday, the doe was quarting hard away. Shot was a little forward. Only caught one lung. Going out now to try to find her. Was in the wood by myseld on my hands knees until almost 12am last night. I ran into coyotes on her trail. She went onto private property also. Here is where I do my due diligence. I will exhaust every effort. Even thought I didnt sleep, had leg cramps all night and pulled my shoulder blade muscle while searching and my mother ended up in the e.r. yesterday(shes fine). This is who we are. This is what we do. The sign is there just need to be able to read and follow the directions. Wish me luck because I damn sure need it. I feel sick to my stomach over this.

20-Sep-18
Been a real long time since I been on here, but wishing you luck my friend. I’ve been there and know what you are about to go through , I hope it ends different for you than it did for me. Yotes enjoyed mine. Still gets me fired up when I look at the picture. But I took and learned from it.

20-Sep-18
good luck keep us posted

20-Sep-18
Good luck

20-Sep-18
its a tough deal but remember, nature wastes nothing, she will feed many animals and fertillize many trees. punch your tag, lick your wounds, and wait for a better shot.

20-Sep-18
GL

20-Sep-18
GL finding her bud!!!

20-Sep-18
if you got one lung with blood like that and you didn't push her last night you will find her .good luck

20-Sep-18
Hopefully it was a lung, and not far enough forward to just be meat mostly. Tough to know for sure without the body... Good luck man. Sucks to experience, hoping to see after shots!

20-Sep-18
Gl pass been there done it hated it but I agree with Steve that kind of blood from one lung I think ull find her read the sign not just blood u know the drill. Hoping u find her fingers crossed dude. Let us know

20-Sep-18
Well guys.. this journey ended one of the 2 ways I would have liked. Shes alive. Coyotes did not get her. After searching all morning on my hands and knees following a drop of blood every 20-30ft. I found a bed with only 2 drops in it and it was warm. So i followed the tracks and sure enough after following her track 80yards past the bed... there she snorting/blowing at me and stomping only 35-40 yds away. Not much blood by her wound from what I could see. I tucked the arrow along the just inside of the shoulder bone by the look of it. I wish it ended with her in my freezer, but this is just as good. She looks like she will survive. Man deer are tough. Thanks for the optimism guys. I shoot my bow almost every day to avoid this situation. Only issue is im a human. I make mistakes. I plan on learning from this and every experience I have in the woods as should everyone who hunts. Time to ice my damn knees and back. Maybe a nap... and just maybe ill go back out tomorrow or Saturday.

20-Sep-18
Bummer, but, amazing tracking. Well done.

20-Sep-18
Good follow through. She'll be fine

20-Sep-18
That's a good amount of blood and matter! Does a lung repair itself?

20-Sep-18
nice effort, glad she will survive. They are extremely tough!

20-Sep-18
Doesn't sound like a lung hit to me. Maybe you raked along the rib cage and under the leg . Sounds like that one will live on..

20-Sep-18

Gene there were bubbles in the blood, froathy at times. She will definitely live judging from what I observed. Typical single lung hit. No blood for 30yds then alot of bubbly blood for 100yds. Then just drops of blood after that.

20-Sep-18
Looking at the blood again. It's not pink and frothy, no bubbles. Equals, no lung. Without being there through out the whole experience, always hard to give a fair evaluation. Unfortunately the rest of the world doesn't think like that.

20-Sep-18

You cant see the bubbles? I circled them. Are you serious I even circled the spot!?!? Well let me zoom in for those tiered eyes. ANY Bubbles would indicate lung. We generaly do not have random bubbles in our bodies. Either do deer. Lungs and Esophagus. The blood was not as light as what ive seen in the past but, its a single lung followed by muscle in the neck. Which would mix the blood. There were spots that were straight foamy in the 100+yds of heavy blood.

20-Sep-18
I've read stories of hunters harvesting a deer with a broadhead in its lung and a cyst like bag around the head. So it is possible for the lung to repair and re-inflate

20-Sep-18
I don’t think it was a lung hit , bubbles don’t look right

20-Sep-18
Now that you zoomed in on the picture I see a few bubbles. I just turned 48, my eyes are old, true. Just not a lung hit. Probably got a small artery carrying blood away from the heart/lungs, which is oxygenated blood, hence the few bubbles that you see.

20-Sep-18
Nice job tracking and not giving up on the blood trail. Deer are tough critters. I have read stories about them surviving single lung hits. Muscle can also bleed a lot and then clot up. Either way, the deer lived to see another day.

21-Sep-18
"80yards past the bed, Not much blood by her wound from what I could see."

Possibly you saw a different deer.

21-Sep-18
Wild bill. So your saying another doe shot in the exact spot on the same property conveniently at the end of the bloodtrail/tracks I had been following? I guess its possible but, I could see her wound and there was blood around where the arrow had entered. Why i wrote "Not much blood". Just not as much as one would have thought. You can see the pictures it was really coming out at one point. Also take into consideration I saw her 19 hours after the shot. She has clotted up by this point. She also had crossed a stream twice on the tracking which I would think may wash some blood away.

21-Sep-18
I didn't know those were bubbles until you circled them..on my phone it looks like camera flash and when it's expanded it looks like blahhhh...nice track job!!

21-Sep-18
It always amazes me how tough these animals are. How they can lose so much blood and still be alive. I know I could tell a bunch of stories like that and it just blows my mind how they still survive!!

21-Sep-18
So did you follow her onto the private property? Or did she come back out? Or...?? I'm guessing you didn't have permission to hunt there, or it seems like 35-40 yards would be good distance for a follow-up shot.

How it is that she could leave a blood trail through a coyote-infested area and not get hauled down is beyond me, though....

Hope she did/does make it through OK.... But she's going to turn into one of those smart old biddies that make life hard on us hunters!

22-Sep-18
I did have permission GF to go on the property. Im not going to put up a story up where I knowing break the law on a public forum. The land owner said I could track the deer not hunt the land. So I did not have my bow. She will definitely be one of those old deer thats looking up in the trees for the monster that bit her. She kept going in and out of state property and private property. I am very confused how the coyotes didnt tear her apart. She kept crossing from state land to private land. Alot of zig zagging 90° and 180° hard turns once the blood turned to just droplets. I have out cams so hopefully I can get some pitures.

22-Sep-18
I did have permission GF to go on the property. Im not going to put up a story up where I knowing break the law on a public forum. The land owner said I could track the deer not hunt the land. So I did not have my bow. She will definitely be one of those old deer thats looking up in the trees for the monster that bit her. She kept going in and out of state property and private property. I am very confused how the coyotes didnt tear her apart. She kept crossing from state land to private land. Alot of zig zagging 90° and 180° hard turns once the blood turned to just droplets. I have out cams so hopefully I can get some pitures.

22-Sep-18
That sucks pass hope u can get some pics of her maybe even get a chance at her again bad that same thing happen about 6 yrs ago thought for sure I’d find her well I did a week later still alive and doing her thing they r amazing. Great job on the tracking.

22-Sep-18
I would estimate the volume of blood in your first picture to be about a tablespoon, no more than that. Blood spread out always looks like a larger volume, especially on snow. There are 64 tablespoons in one quart, and multiple quarts must be lost to cause death by bleeding.

In my experience, I have bumped other deer while blood trailing, and the initial thought that that deer was my deer, did occur to me.

Blood loss from a deer wound tends to fall from the moving deer, rather than cling to the hair, but it will saturate close to the wound.

22-Sep-18
True WB but what you see on the ground is obviously only the blood that came out of her. She could be filling up inside

22-Sep-18
As I recall, the first order of blood trailing is to find the arrow for more information of the hit. Did you ever find the arrow? What condition was it in?

24-Sep-18

For comparison. My watch to finger tip if 7inches. there were other spots with more blood. This was the first one.
For comparison. My watch to finger tip if 7inches. there were other spots with more blood. This was the first one.
Top 10-12 inches of the arrow was found broken off about 150yds from shot. Blood was coming off the arrow. It was soaked.

24-Sep-18
Dayyyum!! Looks like massive blood loss. I'm sorry you couldn't recover it and I hope she survives. If not, she will not go to waste out there.

• Sitka Gear