archeryhunter1977 21-Sep-18
Traxion 22-Sep-18
SD BuckBuster 25-Sep-18
20-Sep-18

archeryhunter1977's embedded Photo
A bad picture but a nice mulie I saw while elk hunting
archeryhunter1977's embedded Photo
A bad picture but a nice mulie I saw while elk hunting
I drew a Black Hills any deer tag and am looking for some help finding a mulie buck. I have seen some real nice ones right behind Trails Head Lodge while elk hunting, but lately have been seeing more whitetails. I was wondering where in your opinion are most of the Black Hills mule deer concentrated these days? Not looking for a record breaker, just an opportunity at a good South Dakota Black Hills mule deer.

20-Sep-18
In my experience they are spread out throughout the hills. I saw a really nice buck last year just NE of Trailshead Lodge. From what I have seen though there is a much higher density of mulies down around Custer. Especially south and west of Custer. It seems like when you cross south of Hwy 16 you start seeing more mulies than whitetails.

21-Sep-18
Thanks Griz34! I appreciate the help. That's kind of what I have been hearing from people that are more familiar with the area than I am.

22-Sep-18
South is better for numbers. Otherwise, there are just pockets here and there that have decent numbers. Never know when you will run across one...

25-Sep-18
Good question. I've seen them in pockets like that before too. The north side of the Hills holds some good quality though if you can get into them. As in, where the trees meet the bare land up north. I've had luck digging a shallow hole and just sitting in it all day long. Sooner or later a nice Muley seems to make it's way past me.

• Sitka Gear