Kicker Point 08-Dec-18
sitO 08-Dec-18
Genesis 14-Feb-19
Kicker Point 14-Feb-19
cherney12 14-Feb-19
writer 15-Feb-19
keepemsharp 15-Feb-19
20-Sep-18
If you don't like this one, there's another "meatpole" for you ;?)

20-Sep-18
lol

22-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

22-Sep-18
Awesome......

22-Sep-18
Whoa! That didn’t take long!

22-Sep-18
Come on now Sito, did you take out a momma, or are you done early again this year??!!

22-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

22-Sep-18
Awesome man. Those things are super tough to hunt. I have always said the guys that sit on feeders do not know what they are missing by getting off the stand and getting it done. Congrats buddy.

22-Sep-18
Antelope is on my list. Nice one.

22-Sep-18
Hell yeah! Great pic! I’m headed out there Monday for a long awaited September return.

22-Sep-18
Good look in goat. But I wish like hell you guys weren't so obsessed with feeders does every post have to be negative

22-Sep-18
Bodyman,

Hunt how you want as long as it is legal and with the right tags. It is just another level when you hunt from the ground and make it happen. It's an intensity thing with a huge shot of adrenaline which to me makes it a hell of a lot more fun. I think what Sito is saying most of the time is "guys you don't know what your missing"

22-Sep-18
Awesome job man! Beautiful animal. Well done.

22-Sep-18
Matt you don't have a clue how I hunt or have hunted congratulations sito

22-Sep-18
Congrats. Nice goat Sito!

Pretty sure I recognize that Kansas "mountain" . :)

22-Sep-18
Very Nice, A story would be nice!! Congrats!! Shawn

22-Sep-18
Congrats Sito!!

22-Sep-18
Nice goat.... congrats

22-Sep-18
Kyle: I am jealous. Great start to another great year, get after 'em.

22-Sep-18
Kyle is that the decoy you lost a year or two ago ? Nice goat.

22-Sep-18
Sit it might be nice to respond I guess ur just leten her soak

22-Sep-18
Come on sit show me the water hole or the sit up

22-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks fellas, spent the rest of the day trying to get a young man on his first...close but no cigar.

Charlie you've got one helluva memory...that's the deke.

22-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's his last view Frank, I'll tell the story later...to the cool guys.

22-Sep-18
Pretty pic sit wish we could get along would love to hunt with you off the top of the doller store in sedan lol

22-Sep-18
Pretty pic Sit

22-Sep-18
We'll get along just fine Franky...follow the truth my friend.

23-Sep-18
Beautiful creature. That hunt is on my bucket list for sure, congratulations!

24-Sep-18
Can’t believe someone would resort to using a decoy to bring an animal closer. And use one of those wheeled bows and wear camo to hide themselves. Totally unfair advantage. Real men use a flint spear and wear an animal skin loin cloth!^D

24-Sep-18
C'mon now John...you can't train an animal to come to camo, or a bow, or a decoy on a consistent basis...but if you want to eat one of those I'll gladly prepare it ;?)

Cheaters gonna cheat...I just hope they get to actually hunt someday, cause I'm betting they'd like it.

24-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's what was for dinner tonight...free range fair chase "goatalope"

24-Sep-18
Hey sit I ate some of that back in the 70s my buddy's hunted up around Jackson wy. I remember it was totally different from deer elk or anything else. They mainly fed on sage up there do the ones you guys hunt in ks. Eat a more diverse diet or is the taste the same

25-Sep-18

Thornton's embedded Photo
Doesn't matter if they eat sage or shortgrass prairie , they are delicious IMO! I rifle killed this one in NM a few weeks ago

25-Sep-18

Interestingly enough, we saw quite a few antelope using large wooded areas that had hundreds of acres of cedar, and juniper trees on top of huge canyons. This one was out on a pasture eating cactus

25-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

25-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Some on here are experts

25-Sep-18

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Expert of baiting in many forms.

25-Sep-18
Nice pronghorn Kyle! I hope to hunt them some day.

25-Sep-18
They are fun to hunt Tony. With or without the bait.

25-Sep-18
Very nice job fellas. Some awesome antelope! That decoy looks pretty sweet Kyle. Wish I had one like that for the winds we had this past weekend. I think that cost me a bit on getting a few to close the final distance. It is truly an unreal accomplishment to get it done with a stick and string out there. Close but no cigar for me this year. If you are bored I would like to share a story I'll surely not forget of one very memorable encounter this past weekend. I'm definitely sore and hurting today after being roughed up pretty badly by the country and those amazing animals.

Words cannot describe the pit in my stomach from what could be my biggest bow-hunting blunder to date. Four years ago, I would have cared less, or thought I couldn't get that worked up about a shot at a pronghorn. Well, let's just say I missed a slam dunk opportunity at what I believe to be a once in a lifetime chance at an absolute monster on Sunday evening. I thought I shot a good one last year, and I am still ecstatic about that experience, but there is probably only one other pronghorn that I have seen in the four years of being out there, that was bigger than the one I am about to tell about.

We had trouble finding lone bucks out seeking and we luckily found this giant headed for a familiar drainage. He was angling to us, so a buddy and I tried to figure out exactly where he might enter the small winding creek. He was not on the line to end up where I had a hunch he might, so I trusted my gut and made a bold move as my buddy hung back to where it appeared he was headed. As soon as I got low enough into the drainage, I sprinted over 200 yards below his vision in a creek drainage just trying to cut him off. I guessed right as he crossed into the perfect funnel in the creek where it turned and had a dream setup of yuccas and a bank cut to hide in. He dropped straight in where I had hoped. I now kick myself because I could have taken a shot as he drank from that small creek for what seemed like an eternity as I drew my bow and contemplated. I made the tough decision to be patient and let him come to the pre-ranged trail I had in front of me at 40 yards. As he drank, I was guessing he was 50 and quartered away perfectly, but I just didn't want to kick myself if I missed him, knowing he was probably about to be on that trail I had ranged.

He left the water on that perfect cattle trail and as I shifted my bow, I realized my riser was stuck in the edge of a yucca bush that had me concealed. When I was able to break it free, he heard it and didn't stop, he actually flinched/jumped and darted off the trail he was on and took a higher route out of the drainage. It all happened in a blur but I had to mouth grunt at him loudly, due to the wind, as he started into a trot that I was sure was about to be a run. He finally stopped and I had to make a quick range adjustment.

I was absolutely sick as that arrow left the bow, as I somehow didn't account for the gusting winds and I helplessly watched my arrow drift just right of the magnificent buck. Many things can get you panicked and frantic but this cuts deep after you practice relentlessly every night all summer preparing for that one shot, but you all know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm definitely glad that error in judgement didn't end with a wounded buck, so it definitely could be worse.

I was later consoled by the buddies out with me, and maybe a stiff drink, but they reminded me of all of the different scenarios that you just can't control. They are correct in the fact that a lot of different variables come into play when bow hunting. That's why we all do what we do. It's tough to explain to those that don't feel the defeat and have the drive to conquer a challenge. I respect every harvest photo I see of these guys. It's crazy how you can be so deflated and worn out and here it is the day after being home and I wish I could be out there for another chance. Congrats to all and good luck to everyone this year.

25-Sep-18
Checking in from PA. I love to see the nice bucks you guys take each year.

sitO - I enjoyed your season-long hunt journal in years past. Please don't tag out too soon this year.

Best of luck to all

25-Sep-18
SitO, LOL! Just wanted to remind everyone that we ALL need to support each other no matter how one may like to hunt.

It’s OK to separate ourselves in sub groups to better our knowledge and fun of how we, as individuals, prefer to hunt. A good example is th traditional forum on Bowsite. However...it is not OK for any of us to attack a fellow “legal hunter” on how he/she prefers to hunt. It is critical that we all stick together! Spear, stick & string, compound, X-gun, air gun, black powder, rifle or running dogs...if it is legal in that state ir province we MUST support each other! If a person as an individual doesn’t like it, then simply don’t use that method. But please...let’s respect all legal hunters and make 2018 and beyond a little more enjoyable for everyone! Good hunting to all of you!!!

25-Sep-18
John that is one of the best post I've seen here. Good luck this year

25-Sep-18
You said it perfect John and this is how we have to educate the kids in our youth hunting programs. The future of hunting depends on it.

25-Sep-18

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Here’s my contribution. Snuck through the yucca maze to 47. He stood and fed a little closer. Waited until his head was below line of sight and had all day to anchor in for a great quartered away shot.

That’s a bummer Dylan! Your buck last year was a dream buck, so I can’t imagine what this guy looked like. One of my first years out there a buddy and I decoyed one in to 30. I drew and settled in only to realize I didn’t have an arrow on. The yucca I was tucked into had pulled it off the string when I drew. So I know your pain!

25-Sep-18
Slate I thought you were a little crazy when you first got on here but you made me realize how wrong I was. I think we all just like to hunt for all kinds of different reasons I started hunting ks.39 yrs ago it was the best bird hunting anywhere I would still be doing it if my body let me

25-Sep-18
Nice one KB congrats

25-Sep-18
Thanks Frank I am a little crazy but, who isn't. My wife might agree with you. Your right though we all hunt for different reasons and that is a good thing. It would be a pretty boring world if we all thought and did the same things. Dam Frank I thought you where my age. God bless you 39 years that's almost my age. You coming out this year to deer hunt at least?

25-Sep-18
Tough deal Dylan, but I'm thinking you might make another run at them...you know the first segment runs through Sunday ;) Kaleb as I told you earlier that's a great buck and to get it done on public makes it even better, can't wait to see all the heads you drag to the Convention bud!

Now, as for you Slate...we had a "gentlemen's agreement" and I knew you were no gentleman, but I also now see that you have no honor, surprised? Not really, but considering your profession I must say I'm disapointed.

You may be the least intelligent person I've dealt with in my years on this site, and that's saying something! You kinda remind me of one of my ex-girlfriend's except she was full grown, and her frontal cortex had developed properly...you're both whiners so maybe that's it?

If you or any of the others here aren't smart enough to tell the difference between a decoy, call, blind, scent, bow, camo, etc...and a 50# sack of failure well I may not be able to help. I'll offer you the same deal I've made here before: Take a trail camera and put it on one of each of the aforementioned items...if the sack of failure doesn't get the most pics I'll give you a shiny $100 bill...wanna try me?

Of course you don't, you and all the others know the answer and that's why people bait...it's easy and it trains animals to come to a pre-determined spot on a consistent basis. It's not hunting in any sense of the word, and you and all of the others know this as well...but you continue to do it because it's easy. None of the other methods involve sustenance and there is no other drive for a wild animal that outweighs the need to eat. Now I'll give you a few minutes to go and look up some of those words so that you can follow along.

Got it? Ok, so as for "sticking together", well that's a load of you know what. I stand up for actual hunting in any situation or forum I take part in...but only actual hunting. There are sound reasons as to why baiting has been banned in so many states and on KS public lands. Slate definitely isn't smart enough to know anything about that, but many here are, and have studied these reasonings. Ask some folks who don't hunt, not "anti's" just folks who don't hunt, how they feel about taking an animal at a feed pile and get back to me with your results. Then ask the same people how they feel about a spot & stalk hunt, or decoy hunt, or rattling antlers, or calls/scents, and listen to the difference...do you think you can you remember the questions?

I'm fighting to preserve something I care deeply about, you may not agree with me or my tactics but that makes me no difference...I will continue fighting. I want you, and all of the other cheaters to realize full well that when they look up on the wall at that buck they shot over a failure pile, or at a sadness spreader, it had nothing to do with hunting. I want them to feel it... and I want them to actually go hunting the next time, cause I really think they'd enjoy it!

25-Sep-18
Good read Dylan

25-Sep-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I did do a little "baiting" myself today...but all on jigs so...

25-Sep-18
Awesome buck and photo Caleb! You are having one heck of a year. Kyle, how the heck do I get your job and is that top pic from a cell phone? Unreal if so. It's amazing how far image quality has come over the past few years.

25-Sep-18
Sit do you have a job? Or is it huntin and fishin?

25-Sep-18
Kyle I get to hunt maybe eight days out if the year any more getting older with no retirement sucks so I can't sit up or spend time in the field like I use to I hunt trails that bucks have been using for years . If your a hunter and I know you're a good one you know these trails are used yr after yr but I don't have time to scout. If I do set a feeder witch sometimes I do its to get deer into the land were hunting. Anyone who has set a feeder will tell you that they are the spoikiest deer in the world and not many mature bucks come in at daylight. So it's not in my advantage to hunt a feeder

25-Sep-18
Come on sit where are you when I need you

25-Sep-18
By the way sit use to fish lake fork fifteen times a year. Fished one February it dropped to thirty degrees witch was not normal I switched from artificial to water dogs if you know what they are caught four over eight in one hour. My buddy fishin down there that weekend told me I was unethical for using live bait. I caught 27 fish that day four over eight lbs in under and hour turned them all loose

25-Sep-18
You muse be cleaning fish

25-Sep-18
Yep Dylan, from a new LGthinQ...my third one in three months...they have some glitches lol.

25-Sep-18
You never answer

25-Sep-18
Hey sit for the people that don't know you prove your not a prick answer some questions . I forgot your a prick

25-Sep-18
Do you work?

25-Sep-18
Are u a prick?

25-Sep-18
Frank" you ar pickkinon a good man.

25-Sep-18
Thank you Dave, it's all good. Frank and I get along fine when he's in his right mind...unfortunately that's only from 8-noon.

Mullins, where's your goat?

25-Sep-18
That’s pretty funny CJ

30-Sep-18

Matt Palmquist's embedded Photo
Matt Palmquist's embedded Photo
Well upon review it was declared that even though this buck died in a corn field it was ruled 'bait free'. Have a great season gentlemen!

30-Sep-18

cherney12's embedded Photo
cherney12's embedded Photo
Same here

01-Oct-18
Nice work fellas...how bigga corn field's was they lol

01-Oct-18
Nice goats. Congrats

01-Oct-18

The Kid's embedded Photo
The Kid's embedded Photo
Congrats guys, great goats!!! I was lucky enough to spot and stalk my first pronghorn. I shot him at 32 yards in the wheat stubble. I am looking forward to seeing everyone's hunts this fall!

01-Oct-18
Heckuva Pronghorn CM, I know how hard you worked for that opportunity too...earned!

We may have to rent another room at the Convention just for goats ;?)

01-Oct-18
All of these from western Kansas? Certainly a dream of mine to shoot one in Kansas.

01-Oct-18
Yes

01-Oct-18
How does it eat? I've heard differing opinions. I'm sure like most wild game, it all depends on how you cook it.

01-Oct-18
IMO, they are better than WT...but you cannot overcook! The KS Pronghorn eat mainly grass/wheat/stubble...so they don't get that "sage" taste some of the animals from further western states do.

01-Oct-18
Congrats, Chris! Nice job.

01-Oct-18
I have consumed meat from WY and KS and don't taste much difference. Kyle nailed it, dont overcook! Also, try to get skinned and cooled ASAP. Some of my favorite meat!!

01-Oct-18
Thanks Patrick! I enjoyed your pictures with KB! The banquet beer celebration at Mount Sunflower was hilarious and a great way to celebrate!

03-Oct-18
Enjoying the “non conditioned” hunts guys, Congrats....

03-Oct-18
Nice goat Chris. Congrats. Some of these guys make it look like it must be easy but I know it is NOT.

07-Oct-18
Only one fresh track in the mud. All that was needed. Nice big fat doe. 1/2 drag out sucked but she will be well worth it.

07-Oct-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo

07-Oct-18
I guess I don't understand one track in the mud?

07-Oct-18
How far from the one track was the deer

07-Oct-18

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
This guy almost baited me into thoughts of rifle hunting and running to town for a jug of whiskey. Four stalks over two days and finally got it done at last light. Nebraska Sandhills buck.

07-Oct-18
Man "a fire"! Congrats bud, helluva deer

07-Oct-18
Great great buck KB. Wow deep fronts and length.

Bodyman to answer your question. When ground hunting i follow tracks, after a good rain it's like tracking in the snow. On a new spot tracks matter. Alot of tracks are a good thing. One track is not always a good thing. This deer was shot twenty yards from where a j turn started.

Again great job KB.

07-Oct-18
Great buck Kaleb Congrats. There will be lots of nice stuff in the trophy room this year.

07-Oct-18
killer buck kaleb

07-Oct-18
Thanks guys. Nice shootin’ Matt!

07-Oct-18
That's a really nice buck especially for the Sandhills!

07-Oct-18
Bait free!! I love it!!

07-Oct-18
Put yours on here Michael...heck of a deer and especially considering the circumstances, a self-bow, and your "camo"!

07-Oct-18
Great mule deer for anywhere, but then best I’ve seen from the Sandhills.

08-Oct-18
Hell of a mule deer KB congrats

09-Oct-18
Congrats KB! Taxi bill may be hefty, but keep it up. Fantastic season!

26-Oct-18

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Snuck in on this guy in my buddy’s 280 acre food plot. He was bedded with a doe. Weighed 250lbs field dressed.

26-Oct-18
Another awesome specimen Kaleb, congrats brother...what's next?

26-Oct-18
Nice buck. Sounds like it was a neat hunt. Better head to South Dakota for the rut...

26-Oct-18
Glad to finally see a whitetail on this thread! KB, locked down with a doe or a coincidental bedding party?

26-Oct-18
Still a Colorado tag in my pocket Kyle! Have a buddy coming in from Alaska for two weeks to hunt the Flint Hills first. So I’ll get to play guide for a bit... I think locked down Heartshot. He had every reason to bolt between the pickup being in view when he stood and hearing me at one point. Pretty sure he wasn’t going anywhere without her. Also saw two 3.5yo bucks cruising nose down yesterday.

26-Oct-18
What part of the state?

26-Oct-18
West

26-Oct-18
My greatest conclusion in all my years bowhunting about the rut is that I overthink the rut......

27-Oct-18

LuckyStrike's embedded Photo
LuckyStrike's embedded Photo
Gotem'

28-Oct-18

boothill's embedded Photo
boothill's embedded Photo
Tag filled...now what to do? Heard plenty of yotes this evening that need thinned out.

28-Oct-18
Very nice bucks KB and boot hill! Congrats those are smoker archery bucks pre-rut or whenever too!

28-Oct-18
Congrats Brian, great lookin buck...and good luck on the "fur's"!

28-Oct-18
Great buck boothill. Congrats

28-Oct-18
Nice boothill! That picture makes me miss Dodge City!

28-Oct-18
Awesome buck Boothill!

28-Oct-18
What a dandy!

28-Oct-18
Nice job! Great looking buck.

29-Oct-18
Very nice boothill congrats

29-Oct-18
He's got some mass! Great buck congrats man!!!

29-Oct-18
It looks like you guys are all off to a good start this year! Saturday can't come soon enough!

29-Oct-18
Attaboy Brian....congrats!!

05-Nov-18

Schmizzle's embedded Photo
November 3rd 2018, 5:30 p.m.
Schmizzle's embedded Photo
November 3rd 2018, 5:30 p.m.
Was fortunate enough to tag this buck on the evening of November 3rd - turned him back towards me with one turn of a bleat can. I've had that move get plenty of looks before, but it ended up fooling this guy to the end!

05-Nov-18
Great pic Scott, and an awesome specimen...congrats man!

05-Nov-18
He looks huge in that pic for sure.

05-Nov-18

Fulldraw's embedded Photo
Fulldraw's embedded Photo

05-Nov-18
I love how that pic turned out. Yes, it is very complimentary of the rack. He is definitely not as big as you would guess from that picture, but still my best buck to date.

05-Nov-18
That's one old warrior Dan!

13-Nov-18

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

13-Nov-18
Congrats all!

13-Nov-18

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
My buddy rattled in this unique 4x4 with stickers around the bases.....over 20 scoreable points. He purchased a little 20 acre tract close to Hutchinson and has several big bucks in the area that he may only get pictures of a couple times each year. He and his daughter rattled in four different bucks over a 2 hour period and he actually videoed her shooting the buck with a cross bow while it was trotting by at close range.

13-Nov-18
Oh man, she's spoiled now! Great smile, and thank him for passing it on please!

13-Nov-18

KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo
My little buck from last week in KS. 23 inch main beams with a 16.5 inside spread

13-Nov-18

KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo
KC's embedded Photo
My little buck from last week in KS. 23 inch main beams with a 16.5 inside spread

19-Nov-18
"Bait free-meat pole". LMAO!

21-Nov-18

Genesis's embedded Photo
Genesis's embedded Photo
Musta missed this thread he is my little “free bird” .Right at 41” of mass short beams but grossed 162 6/8

21-Nov-18
Great buck Steve, that left side is crazy!

21-Nov-18
Huge!

21-Nov-18

Travis's embedded Photo
Travis's embedded Photo
Had a great morning in the stand today...this big ol bodied 8 came in after he whooped a young 10pt...had a 6pt chase the hot doe through then the 8 came in on her..been 4 years since I tagged a buck...felt good..

21-Nov-18
Congrats LT...earned!

21-Nov-18
Congrats Lonny.

21-Nov-18

Orlando's embedded Photo
Orlando's embedded Photo
Cold and windy Sat 17th, I decided to sleep in until a buddy texted saying he missed one. Got me out of the house and into the stand about 8:30. 9:00 this guy comes trotting down the trail. Didn’t have much time to look at rack but my inner green light was on. Stopped him at 23 yards with a “meh”. The shot looked good. He did a half circle to about 70 yards, stopped and tipped over. When I walked up on him, I realized it was a lot better rack than I thought. Easiest hunt I ever had...if we don’t count the other long days freezing on stand.

22-Nov-18
Thanks guys...congrats to all the other folks above...the next 4 or 5 days are some of the best days for big bucks..good luck to those of ya who are still trying to get tagged out..

22-Nov-18
Reed, that guy has the mass! Congrats sir!

22-Nov-18

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Congrats on some great bucks guys!

Eventful November so far. Hosted an Alaska buddy for the first two weeks and he took his best buck on the 6th (originally a Michigan guy). Then we spent a week shooting yotes and roosters. After he left another friend and I headed for eastern Colorado. He took his first buck and I got it done on the one I was after the next morning! We spent a couple days looking over some friend’s ground on the way home and found two legitimate giants. So I get to go play guide for the rifle opener next week.

22-Nov-18
Great deer. I never get tired of looking at other people’s deer and reading their stories. ...gotta get after a mulie someday...

22-Nov-18
Unbelievable season Kaleb, my buddy has the old KBA trailer if you need to borrow it for Feb ;?)

22-Nov-18
Must be maturing a little. Just skulls for me this year. I think I can squeeze the herd in the Sierra, but I’ll keep you posted! ;)

22-Nov-18

doubledrop's embedded Photo
Congrats all. I'm glad to finally get on here and catch up with your seasons. 2018 will go down as one of the toughest seasons I have ever hunted. The hunting season began in western Kansas after the elusive pronghorn. I made a costly mistake and missed a 45 yard shot on a once in a lifetime opportunity at an unreal buck out there that left a pit in my stomach well into the fall. Sometimes something like that can leave a bad feeling in your gut for the remainder of the year.

Going into the fall, I knew my whitetail season could be a grind as I did not have a lot in the upper age group to hunt. Trail cameras continued to run and the endless projects and work kept me plenty busy. The mock scrapes proved highly effective as every buck roaming the properties I could hunt visited them regularly. The real issue was that there were just not many bucks to hunt that were fully mature. I passed 5 1/2 yr. old buck in early November that I began to regret passing. I only gave him the free pass because he made a substantial jump from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2. The number of bucks I passed was higher than normal and a few I would have released an arrow in prior years. The future looks bright though and this hunt was one of a couple firsts for me.

This was the first time I had ever taken a buck on Thanksgiving and also a first while using a decoy. I have always been a bit hesitant of using a decoy, but this season was such a grind, I was willing to try just about anything. After enduring multiple days of brutal cold weather and endless west winds, then very strong winds, I was ready for an encounter with a target buck. This buck was one of two that I was willing to put my tag on and only after I had to make a very tough decision to pass what I believe will be an exceptional deer in 2019, if that buck can survive. I had decided to swing for the fences on an ancient buck in this same area, who was not a local, so I knew it was a real gamble that could end in heartache. The only security was this buck was a resident in the area and I knew, if given the opportunity, that I would be glad to try for him.

November 22nd was a very calm and bright morning with the full moon overhead. I pulled in to my spot and immediately heard a train approaching. I often use these to cover my entrance noise and this particular morning was going to absolutely require it due to the calm South winds. I scrambled to finish getting dressed, grabbed my bow, and assembled the decoy. The train was barreling down the tracks and I knew I only had about 5-10 minutes of cover noise and I had about 3/4 of a mile to cover, so the race was on. Luckily it wasn't near as cold and I wasn't overdressed. Regardless, a sweat was unavoidable, but I knew the stealthy entry was much more important than a load of laundry after the hunt. I knew the wind would be calm to start but would be in my favor. I got in very clean and the train noise faded as my camera gear was setup and the bow pulled up to the stand.

It was a beautiful morning and it's always magical watching the woods come to life. I had just gotten enough light to pan the camera and do a quick intro when I heard heavy footsteps approaching from the trail I had entered. I quickly turned the camera on while scrambling to pull up my binoculars for a confirmation. It was indeed a buck and what appeared to be a good one. I only knew of two 10 pointers in this particular area and when I confirmed it was the buck I thought it was, I went into auto-pilot and attempted to setup the video camera and appropriate setting. Unfortunately the lighting was pretty low, so the footage isn't as good as it would have been even 5 minutes later, but watching that buck approach the decoy bristled up and stiff-legged was something I will never forget. Shockingly, he approached from behind the decoy and that caught me off guard as they will typically approach to the head side and downwind, which would have put him between me and the decoy. I was a bit nervous as he circled the decoy and immediately faced towards me just a few feet from the decoy. I came to full draw after positioning the camera where I thought he would swing. Unfortunately he did not continue his wide swing and he was ready to charge the decoy as he slowly postured and turned his body more broadside. I knew it was now or never as he exposed his vitals and I settled the pin and released. It was a relief to watch that arrow bury in the perfect angle just in front of the shoulder angling behind the off shoulder. He quickly retreated and did not make it out of the field.

It was a great moment, just soaking in the struggles of the season. I am a firm believer that the only way to find success is to work through the tough times. It was truly a Thanksgiving with plenty to be thankful for. I have a very understanding wife, who puts up with the marathon that a season can be, year in and year out. I hope to get Lane out going forward and the timing couldn't have been better. Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck to everyone still afield.

23-Nov-18
Great buck Dylan.

23-Nov-18
Heavy old warrior, great write up and deer buddy

24-Nov-18
Great bucks KC, Travis, Orlando, Genesis, Doubledrop and KB. Glad to see most of us can still kill good KS bucks without bait piles. Thanks for posting!

Roughcountry, your buddy's daughter 's buck may be the best one on here! Congrats to her that's awesome!

I just can't see baiting where we hunt and would never want to. We have have 50,000+ acres of standing corn that's just now getting cut. How do you compete with that?

Love the bait free meat pole thanks Sito.

25-Nov-18
Has anybody noticed the huge increase in crossbow kills on social media.

25-Nov-18
Quinn, it is definitely a different hunt with crops in the field. I think more for the added cover than food and look forward to the crops coming out. I've always felt pretty lucky to be in Kansas where there are a lot of natural funnels due to fields, creeks, etc. I think hunting states with large timber would intimidate me. KB is my new hero...seems animals always fall when he's around!

25-Nov-18
Crossbow kills will continue to increase. I know quite a few older gentleman that were tried and true rifle hunter's now they all own crossbows and hunt the rut and rifle season.

25-Nov-18

I stalked to 30 yards of this buck after spotting his back half in some cedars. It was a north wind with some spitting snow which made for some quiet walking in the snow. Fastest kill I've ever seen. The Rage 125 broke the opposite shoulder and fell in his face about 30 yards away. The whole thing lasted a few seconds.

25-Nov-18
Nice!

25-Nov-18
Congrats !!! Were you in a stand when you spotted him?

25-Nov-18
Nice deer!

25-Nov-18
No I like to simply walk and stalk when I hunt a new property. Seems like I always have to know what's over the next hill. I've found snow and rain are ideal stalking weather.

25-Nov-18
Way to get it done before the blaze orange shows up.

25-Nov-18
Nice buck Thornton congrats

25-Nov-18
Isn't that the buck you killed in oklahoma? On ks. Meat pole

25-Nov-18
Kinda weird isn't it? An Oklahoma guy, on the Kansas forum, complaining about an Oklahoma deer while other non residents that shot Kansas deer post on the same forum.

25-Nov-18
Great Buck anywhere. Congratulations Sir!

25-Nov-18
Wasn't complaining just wondering , I'm sure those guys thought you killed it today in ks. Since you didn't mention that it was ok

25-Nov-18
Nice deer and doesn't matter fwiw. But, yeah, I thought it was shot today in Kansas...actually I was thinking I couldn't even see to stay on the road today to go check cattle ...and he was out hunting...not all Kansas' weather must look like NC Kansas.

26-Nov-18
Thank you. Trust me, if I hadn't been working today, I would have been stalking some brush or cedars somewhere. This whole sitting all day has never been my first choice. If I think a buck is on a schedule I'll sit a couple hours. If not, I'm out walking miles trying to find something to put a stalk on. You can get away with a lot of movement and the noise is dampened when their is heavy precipitation and wind. I've shot several does doing this and I have passed many small bucks over the years.

26-Nov-18

26-Nov-18

26-Nov-18
Great buck Jason, congrats!

26-Nov-18

KSNimrod's embedded Photo
Grunted this one in Thanksgiving morning just after first light. He read the script! Grunted at him from about 150 yards away and he came at a trot. He circled downwind of the buck decoy and finally stepped out where I could get a clear shot at about 15 yards. I got to watch him fall over in the pasture about 50 yards away! To perfect of a scenario for me to pass up for sure.

26-Nov-18
Congrats to all who have tagged out. There are some great bucks on this thread! To all who are still chasing them, best of luck and can't wait to see some more pics on this thread.

26-Nov-18
Congrats and great deer guys! I love decoying, great to hear the stories from you guys that are tagging out with decoys.

26-Nov-18
There are a lot of big, old deer on here this year. Congrats all

29-Nov-18

Bowharvest2018's embedded Photo
Bowharvest2018's embedded Photo

29-Nov-18
Looks like a big old warrior Jared, congrats!

29-Nov-18
Got a pic to post tomorrow, not much signal or data is about gone. Anyway, it was a good morning, took rifle season to bring one into bow range for me. Nice bucks Harvest and Nimrod!

29-Nov-18
Thanks guys it was a tough season this year but well worth the time invested. Lots of good deer taken this year I'll be rooting for everyone still out there from the duck blind! ;-)

30-Nov-18

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
I've hunted hard since November 1st, and it wasn't until a week ago today that I saw the first mature buck from the stand. Since then though, I've seen several; and yesterday morning one finally got in bow range. We've had pictures of this buck for a while now, and he was one of the main deer I wanted to shoot on our property.

30-Nov-18
Nice job, James. Congratulations!

30-Nov-18
WIDE load, congrats JR!

01-Dec-18
What a dandy! How good it feels to connect after hunting that hard ehh??

01-Dec-18
You got that right bowharvest!

06-Dec-18

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Since Oklahoma's forum doesn't have a bait free nor a non high fenced thread, I'm posting where bait free is applauded... plus I'm so fn proud of this deer, I want to put it on every state forum!! lol.

;)

06-Dec-18
You should be awesome Deer

06-Dec-18
Glad to have him here Rick, and hope to see him this Feb in Hutch! You built it and he came...one of the best stories, and hunts, ever!

07-Dec-18
Great buck Embryok!! And way to take a picture that does him justice too!

07-Dec-18
Looks like it will be the new "Jack Harris" buck. Nice buck.

07-Dec-18
Jack couldn't put his buck on this "pole"

07-Dec-18
Maybe I should put him on the Colorado forum? :)

Edit: the post below me won't make sense.

07-Dec-18
Hate? Who’s hating? Seems just like the last time you jump to conclusions. Guess that’s what happens when you drink too much soy milk.

Guess you missed my “jack humor” so we will leave it at that.

Oh, I’m not worried too much about your list.

Nice buck all the same. Savor it.

07-Dec-18
And my apologies... I did take it wrong. Don't know what you're talking about with "last time I jumped to conclusions ", but okay. You're a hater of trailcams, correct? By the way... what is soy milk?

07-Dec-18
“Hater of trail cams. “

Dislike is a better term. The other thread you popped off and lumped me in with the “young guys have no Woodsmanship mafia”

In which I replied with the following

“I am anti-cam, but I don't think I've ever said anything about "young guys and lack of woodsman-ship". On the contrary. Just look at many of the photos posted by guys on here, they don't have a gray hair on their chin. I'd saying they're doing well and I too would take offense to the "Young guy/woodsmanship" crap. Especially since there are some personalities on this site that talk a good game, but are so full of excuses on why tags don't get punched it's hard to keep a straight face yet they're resident experts. If you can't see through their smoke, well, you're not reading the sign. I will stand by my attitude that cameras are not fair chase. If that makes me "Anti-Cam" so be it, but I'm young enough to know better.“

Enjoy your year and success. You earned it.

07-Dec-18
"The other thread you popped off and lumped me in with the “young guys have no Woodsmanship mafia”

Got to be someone else you're thinking of. I've only had issues with your "dislike" of cams. We even exchanged PMs over it. But, I've also slept since then and could be that I let it roll right off my back. No worries though, I'm beginning to dislike trailcams too. Because they suck in quality.

Anyhoo... come to Oklahoma and I'll let you kill some pigs, no corn, no fence and no cams. We can drink some soy milk too. :)

Have a good season. :)

07-Dec-18
Nice buck, Rick. Congrats and I'm sure it was hard-earned and well-deserved. Who doesn't like cameras? I ain't never seen a camera one that deer came to or that killed deer.

07-Dec-18
Helluva buck Embry... get him scored if you want. And the score don’t matter, he is an awesome critter. But otherwise, put him on the wall, crack a cold beer, and set back and remember the day it happened.

Congratulations

07-Dec-18
Embry was that south east ok deer

07-Dec-18
Many on here could not kill nor have the drive to hunt an area unless their cameras told them to. I prefer scouting and I probably walked 15 miles this year doing so.

07-Dec-18
Good job, Thornton.

08-Dec-18
I'm surprised there aren't designated "Decoy free", "Trail cam free" and "Tree stand free" poles!! LOL.

08-Dec-18
Can't train an animal to come to any of those consistently Tony...and they don't need any of them to survive...but I know you know that ;?)

08-Dec-18
Sure thing Kyle. I know you're passionate about your argument.

I'm still surprised there aren't more designated meat pole threads.

08-Dec-18
Not really an argument, and I'm not so sure you are surprised about other poles.

"One of these things is not like the other things"

14-Feb-19
I’ve never bought or set up a trail cam in my life.Wouldnt know what to do with the information and just don’t feel right peeking in on nature if I ain’t there .

Kinda like wrapping Christmas presents with cellophane to me.However,if others want to that’s fine .

14-Feb-19
Good point Genesis. Come to think of it, next year we need to have a "Kansas Trail-Cam FREE meat pole."

14-Feb-19
Do they have trail cams that draw in deer now? What brand?

15-Feb-19
Starting to read like the “he-man woman-haters club.”

15-Feb-19
Think all the heman women haters are in San Fran.

• Sitka Gear