Mad dog 02-Mar-19
pogo 07-Mar-19
T ZEKE 07-Mar-19
T ZEKE 07-Mar-19
pogo 07-Mar-19
pogo 11-Apr-19
Mad dog 13-Apr-19
20-Sep-18
For the last four or five years, I've chronicled my hunts for everyone to read and comment and I wasn't going to do it this year........ but...... I'm pretty sure that this will be my last year to hunt.

I'm still physically able to hunt and I still want to but I'm pretty sure I will be heading south with my wife in early October next year to spend our winter in warmer conditions.

With that in mind...... let me tell you some more of the story which might help you understand. My wife was diagnosed with Uterine cancer. She's had surgery and is in remission. But she wants to work until she becomes medicare eligible which will be on October 01, 2019.

We've purchased a used class A motorhome and we plan on traveling the country together and weve started a YouTube channel which will show our family, friends and followers our adventures. It's entitled...... This is how we roll.

But..... on with the hunt.

Today...... I went down to the farm and checked my trail cams. I've got them set up in the thicket on the north side. All I'm getting are pictures of small bucks and does. So I took them down and walked around to see what I could see.

As I got down to the oaks I was shocked with all he sign. Yep.... they are eating acorns...... red and white. Within easy bow range there were also several rubs..... a couple are very impressive. I'll post some pictures soon.

I've decided to hunt on opening day this year to maybe get a look at the guy that have rubbed up this area. I decided to hang a couple of trail cams. One is pointing at a monster rub to the south of my ladder stand and one is overlooking a clear area just northwest of the stand that is loaded with deer crap and acorn shells and caps. And the trees are still loaded.

So follow along with my adventures. I promise we are going to have fun!

20-Sep-18

pogo's embedded Photo
This rub is about 35 yards south of my ladder stand.
pogo's embedded Photo
This rub is about 35 yards south of my ladder stand.

20-Sep-18
There are actually three trees rubbed in that photo.... but I think the big boy has made the big rub.

20-Sep-18
My trail cam is now on the tree in the upper left hand side of the picture. I mount my cams about 6 1/2 feet high angled slightly down.

I wont be checking that cam untill after my opening morning hunt.

21-Sep-18
Good luck with your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

21-Sep-18
Thanks for letting us follow along one more time.

23-Sep-18
Tom; best of luck to you and your wife. I hope you kill a monster this year!

24-Sep-18
Thanks for the kind words friends....... I'm fighting the urge to check my trail cams this week before our season opener but I know I should not disturb the area. But I'm real excited for this season.

My buddies farm has got soybeans planted this year so between a great acorn crop and soybeans, the deer are going to be real chubby!

28-Sep-18
Hi everyone..... today is my preparation day for my first hunt on Monday. My clothes have been washed, descented and packed in scent free zip locks containing my old favorite...... baking soda. Yep...... I'm old school.

Today I packed my descented safety harness and my descented hunting back pack into my scent free storage box in the back of my pickup truck. I've also filled both of my spray bottles of scent killer..... one for my pack.... and one for my truck.

My bow has been zeroed in for 30 yards and less..... although I'd never shoot at a whitetail over 25 yards or so. All of my broadheads are tuned and I think I'm finally ready.

I've kept a keane eye on the weather forcasts for Monday morning and changed my mind on which stand to use for the opener. I'm hoping for any variations of west wind so I can use my ladder stand in the oaks but I'm prepared to sit near the bedding area on the northwest corner if the is any east wind that morning.

Good luck to all hunting on Monday morning. Hunt safe....... wear your safety harness and bring home some venison!

28-Sep-18
Good luck to you and all as well. I'll be out on Monday in 3A making it happen.

30-Sep-18
After further review........ the weather is NOT conducive to hunt on Monday at all. The worst possible wind, northeast, is forcast along with rainy conditions. I will hunt in a light rain but a northeast wind direction is the worst possible wind for this farm.

I golf on Tuesday so Wednesday will be my first hunt.

30-Sep-18
Good luck to you when you finally get a chance to hunt. I will keep you and your wife in my prayers. Best of luck on your road trip through life.

03-Oct-18
Wow! Wow! Wow!

My first day in the woods is one of the best I've ever had! So many deer..... they were everywhere.

My morning started at 4:45am with an alarm set on my phone. I had to leave the clock radio set for my wife for 6:00am so she could get to work on time. My shower was quick and thorough and I was dressed and on the road to the farm. The drive was smooth and I pulled in about 20 minutes after.

I made sure I had everything sprayed down with scent killer before I left my truck and made my long walk down to the oaks. My anticipation was extremely high.

I was up and settled in way before I needed to be. In fact...... I sat in the pitch black morning for almost an hour. As it started to brighten up I pulled out my range finder and got my yardage squared away. I waited...... and waited. Nothing was moving. Not even the squirrels.

At just about 8:00am i was totally surprised by a fawn standing 15 yards to my left eating acorns. Then another...... and finally mama joined them. I watched and enjoyed the show. Both fawns were little bucks with visible knobs...... one was almost a legal spike. Almost. As i watched one of the little buggers decided it was knap time and hit the ground and got comfortable. Then the other joined as mama continued to get her fill of the freshly dropped white oak acorns. They stayed right there for almost an hour. Mama even caught a quick snooze at about 20 yards away.

She finally got up to eat some more but something behind me caught her attention bringing her to full alert. Her two fawns joined in doing a little dance to be like mama. This took at least 15 minutes before she relaxed and led hr kids towards the swamp bedding area. As she left, I finally had a chance to take a peak behind me. An 8 pointer was about 40 yards away eating acorns from another white oak. I managed to check him out pretty good and decided I'd take him if given the opportunity. It never presented it though as he headed north towards the bean field.

It was now about 9:30 and I decided to have a cup of coffee and a few cookies. No sooner than I poured my coffee..... here comes a six pointer that got me anxious. He was wide and high..... no gaurd tines. I think he was 3 1/2 years old. He had pretty long tines that were white as snow. In fsct.... I saw the horns before the deer. But he passed about 40 yards downwind and headed towards the swamp bedding area.

It worked once.... so I poured another cup of coffee. Yep...... here comes a 4 pointer and a spike...... right down the trail 15 yards broadside. I sat until around 11:30 before I climed out. I checked both of my trail cams. One had 40 photos and the one I put on the big rub had 195 photos. Yep...... that's not a typo...... 195! I quickly looked at them using my Nikon camera. I've got a couple of shooters for sure.

I made a quick walk towards the swamp bedding area to check the trails and they are pretty well worn. As I was leaving I walked the west edge of the bean field towards the northwest corner where I've got a ladder stand set up between two trails. It showed a lot of tracks, deer poop and the beans were pretty much chewed up between the two trails. I was surprised that the beans were still green so I decided to hunt the evening watch as the wind would be perfect.... out of the southeast. A quick run to McDonald's for some lunch and then back up a tree.

I hadn't been in that stand for more than 10 minutes when the first deer showed up. It was a spike and he entered the field from the east side. All in all...... I watched at least 25 different deer enter the beans from the east and south side, never closer than 190 yards.

There were at least 9 different bucks in the field. The biggest was a 2 1/2 yearold 8 point. Lots of 6 points and 4 points. I witnessed lots of soft sparing from the smaller bucks. I was also was surprised that the boys were not interested in the girls at all. They showd no sign of being ready to breed.

As it finally got dark, I climbed down and walked back to my truck, stopping long enough to talk with my good friend and his wife that graciously allow me to hunt their farm.

My drive home was full of my grinning ear to ear after sll of the great experiences I had enjoyed today. I'll be back tomorrow with some pictures. I'm tired and heading to bed where I probably dream about everything that happened during my first hunt of my last season. Thank you Lord for granting me one more season!

04-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
The first deer of the morning. A doe with two buck fawns come in to eat white oak acorns.
pogo's embedded Photo
The first deer of the morning. A doe with two buck fawns come in to eat white oak acorns.

04-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
My view from my corner stand over the bean field. Entering trail 15 yards on my right and 18 yards on my left.
pogo's embedded Photo
My view from my corner stand over the bean field. Entering trail 15 yards on my right and 18 yards on my left.

04-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
All of the deer entered the field from the opposite end of the field and hung around the hay bale blind that one of the other hunters has placed there. No hunter in it today.
pogo's embedded Photo
All of the deer entered the field from the opposite end of the field and hung around the hay bale blind that one of the other hunters has placed there. No hunter in it today.

05-Oct-18
Sounds like a great first sit. It looks like they could almost pet that one deer next to the blind.

07-Oct-18
This weather really sucks!

I need to be in the stand but the wind direction has been wrong every day since my first hunt.

I think I'm going to try to sit on the bean field tomorrow morning and maybe try decoying one in close.

But Wednesday looks to be good for the oaks stand.

08-Oct-18
This morning's hunt was cancelled at the last minute...... something came up which needs my attention. I'm pretty sure an afternoon hunt will happen. I might even be able to get a tan!

08-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
my office for this afternoon
pogo's embedded Photo
my office for this afternoon
once again my plans got changed. When I got down to the farm the wind direction was in my favor to hunt the oaks. Let's see what happens.

08-Oct-18
It was a s.l.o.w. day today. I only saw one deer at around 4:00pm and about 60 to 70 yards away...... but it was a buck. Yep...... a little 6 pointer was on the southern edge of the oaks and then disappeared. I can only assume that he went back into the brush lot to the south of the oaks.

I sat until dark and saw nothing else except one unusual looking squirrel. It's the first jet black squirrel I've ever seen on this property.

On another note........ the farmer has started to harvest the beans and the field will be stripped by the next time I hunt there. It's going to get interesting.

Next hunt will be Wednesday.

09-Oct-18
Keep it going pogo.

10-Oct-18
Thanks spike.......

This morning's hunt was called off because of the extremely warm temperature for today. I didn't feel like it would have been worth my time.

I hope to hunt Friday morning if the weather forecast stays favorable. Temps should be between 42 and 51 with a NNW to W wind.

10-Oct-18
Pogo you are correct, haven't seen a deer for 3 days, hoping cold snap after rain will stir movement. .

11-Oct-18
Yes sir...... I think any movement at all the past three days would have been after dark.

We have a great cold front coming through tonight and I'm excited to be in my favorite stand tomorrow morning.

11-Oct-18
Same down here in 7M. The 70-80 degree weather has all daylight activity shut down. Changing right now and possible snow flurries Saturday am. Been out 2 mornings and haven’t seen a deer even though I know there are quite a few around. Will start again tomorrow.

12-Oct-18
Well....... it did cool down this morning. It was about 30 degrees cooler this morning than yesterday morning. I didn't quite see the results that I thought I'd see.

I was sitting in my ladder stand..... in the oaks...... in the dark by about 6:15am and started to shiver. I wish I had added another shirt to my hunting wardrobe. The wind was supposed to be out of the West and northwest but it was actually more out of the south. But by sunrise it was mostly out of the West.

Around 8:00am I saw a deer coming off of the bean field and heading up the same trail I killed my 8 point on a few years ago. I knew it was going to be a buck before I could even get a good look. I was up..... turned..... bow in hand...... and my release was knocked and ready. When the deer was about 40 yards away, he slammed on the brakes and became alert. I glanced aroud the woods to see what startled him. I looked at the white thread tied to my arrow by the broadhead and it was pointing directly at the deer. The wind picked the wrong time to change direction.

He stood nervously assessing the situation. He turned off the trail heading west and stopped. After about 30 seconds, he relaxed and started walking south past my stand at jut 30 yards away. I had plenty of time to draw but he turned out to be a 6 point. I sat down as he walked out of sight.

I was wishing I had brought a thermos of coffee today as the action was really slow. At around 9:30, I glanced over my right shoulder (down wind) and here comes another deer. He was about 40 yards away and walking casually right in the middle of where my scent should be blowing. He stopped, turned his head and that's when I realized I was having my first encounter with a shooter for this season. He was wide...... outside of the ears and sporting 10 points. He stood behind a tree for what seems like forever which gave me plenty of time to get ready. I was turned..... locked and loaded.

I have just two shooting lanes in that direction and if he continued on his same path, he would enter them both. I came to full draw when he wagged his tail and started to walk. He entered the first shooting lane and stopped right in the center. As I anchored and found my mark he turned facing me. He stood..... and stood.

He finally turned and walked towards shooting lane number two but stopped short. He turned around and stared out to the bean field and was alert. I don't know what had captured his attention. I found nothing out there from my point of view but he was locked onto something.

He finally turned and walked away from me towards the east and I knew the game was over. I watched as be headed along the edge of the oaks heading to the brush lot to the south.

I sat in my stand until about 10:45 and then climbed out and walked through some other sections of the farm and noticed several new scrapes and rubs. As I got back to my truck, I decided that I need to be back in that same stand tomorrow morning. I hate hunting weekends but maybe the other guys will walk around and move some deer during mid day. The other guys don't sit past 9:30.

I'll be back tomorrow with another update. Hunt safe.

12-Oct-18
Close...

13-Oct-18
No hunt today. I was feeling like crap last night and decided to sleep in this morning.... feeling better today.

Yep...... I'm a slacker.

13-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
I forgot to post of photo that I took before I realized he was indeed a shooter. Notice his neck is already swollen.

15-Oct-18
Great Reads , love reading your posts over the years . will surely be missed. Hope you connect on a giant soon. I hunted Westchester pound ridge south salem for 20 plus years , I had a great horse farm in south salem . It was on fire in the 80's and 90's farm sold never did have the deer like that again. reading your post is like being there all over again. Tom Good luck

18-Oct-18
Great morning to be in the stand. I've already rattled in two different bucks before 8:00am.

18-Oct-18
I just saw three bucks chasing a doe around the oaks. The biggest was a small 8 point. He stopped about 20 yards in front of me but then took off on the chase again.

18-Oct-18
This morning was a fun day! I was up at 5:00am, showered and dressed in some clean camo..... the first time in insulated bibs and parka of the season. It was only 34 degrees when I arrived at the farm a little before 6:00.

The walk in was also interesting. A tree along the hedgerow had fallen across the trail causing me to detour. But I made it in the dark and was soon back on my way to the oaks. I had the perfect wind today.

I climbed up my ladder stand in the dark and got comfy. I always pray when I'm in the stand..... today was no exception. I prayed that if it was God's will and he sent me a good buck, to guide my arrow for a good clean harvest.

As it started getting light, I sensed some movement behind my tree...... directly down wind I might add. It was 5 does and fawns feeding on acorns as they made their way to the bedding area on the south brush lot. I can't believe that they had no idea I was there. Three of the deer were within 15 yards. It took them about 15 minutes to work through the oaks and head slowly to the south.

At around 8:30 I noticed another deer about 150 yards away walking along the edge of the southern border. I couldn't get a good look..... I only knew it was a deer. I pulled out my black rack rattle horns and played them softly. The deer stopped. I waited to see what it was going to do. The deer just stood looking towards my direction. I hit the horns a little harder and he ran hell bent for the fight he heard happening.

He ran right to the base of my tree and I was already standing, bow in hand and my release was fully hooked up. He was only a 6 pointer so he got a pass. After a few minutes he returned to the south and disappeared into the brush lot.

I sat down and suddenly realized I had another deer coming towards me from the northwest. He walked quickly and I saw horns coming through the branches between him and I. He stepped out into a little clear spot about 25 yards away and I realised he was another, smaller horned 6 point.

He walked past me at a mere 15 yards, stopping broadside in the exact spot my last 8 pointer I harvested had stopped. Yes..... it brought back some memories that warmed my heart.

After he passed by and headed to the brush lot I decided to have a quick cup of coffee. It felt great sipping the hot coffee in the chilly morning air. I even had a couple of cookies to go with it.

About an hour later, I saw four deer running in circles to the south. There was one doe being chased by three bucks. Round and round they went. She finally ran towards my tree coming within 10 yards. The biggest buck was hot on her tail. I was at full draw as he stopped just 15 yards from my tree. I let him pass as I think he wasn't worthy of an arrow. He will be a great buck in a couple of years. I will never even get a chance to harvest him but somebody else will.... and that's okay. They all headed south and disappeared into the brush lot.

I celebrated with some more coffee as I smiled to myself. I had two different opportunities to fill my tag this morning.

I ended up seeing one more deer at around 11:00am walking out of the brush lot and headed to the swamp bedding area. I tried the rattle horns but the deer did not respond. That tells me it was probably a doe.

I climbed out and walked around the oaks before walking back to my truck. It was a great day indeed.

I have made plans to hunt again tomorrow morning. Maybe that hot doe will have Mr big with her tomorrow. Wish me luck!

18-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
the second little 6 pointer to answer my rattling
pogo's embedded Photo
the second little 6 pointer to answer my rattling

18-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
check out this rub that has been made 30 yards from my ladder stand
pogo's embedded Photo
check out this rub that has been made 30 yards from my ladder stand

18-Oct-18
Your a lucky man pogo waiting to see what you end up with!

18-Oct-18
Thanks spike78. I'll probably not kill one like the past two or three years. Lol

For me..... it's the hunt that counts. I actually hate the kill part. They are such magnificent animals....... and they taste good too.

19-Oct-18
This morning sure was different than yesterday. It was about 9 degrees warmer and instead of a west wind..... it changed to a wsw wind and it was blowing just a little harder to start. I always wear freshly cleaned and descented camo every time and this morning proved to me that I have my scent control worked out.

I was sitting in my ladder stand about a half hour before shooting light replaying everything that happened yesterday in my mind. What was today going to bring?

As it t was just about time to be able to see my pins I noticed some movement on the far side of the oaks about 150 yards away. I was sure it was a deer so I picked up my black rack and played a little tune. Sure enough...... it was a deer. It stopped and looked in my direction. I softly ticked them again and it started running in my direction. I quickly got my bow, turned in that direction and hooked up my release and waited...... waited..... and waited. I couldn't see any deer but I know he was running towards me. He should be close by....... but!

Two lessons that I learned from this experience this morning. Don't take your eyes off an approaching deer...... and .......... if you do..... watch the downwind side of your setup. Yep..... he had slipped around to my right and was standing broadside about 20 yards on my downwind side looking for the fighting bucks he heard. It was either a 6 or 4 point. It was hard to determine because his head was behind some brush, but I knew he wasn't a shooter. He walked around my tree and headed towards the brush lot to the south.

About a half hour later here comes a doe about, 50 yards away, walking directly towards my stand. I am watching intently behind her for any sign of another deer. Nothing! She gets about 5 yards away and I look back down at her and see 8 inch spikes! It's not even a doe. Oh my! The spike starts feeding on acorns all around my tree. I can hear the popping..... and I don't even have my hearing aides in this morning.

After a couple of minutes I notice that the spike keeps looking in the direction he came from and finally....... there is another deer about 75 yards away..... and he's RUBBING a tree.

He starts walking towards me and I realized he was indeed a shooter....... and he keeps coming...... nonchalantly...... just slowly walking in my direction. He doesn't have a huge rack but he is outside of his ears. But his tine length isn't very long. I'm really processing all of this information as I slowly stand and reach for my bow.

I'm ready as he enters a shooting lane at about 45 yards...... he's still coming. I get a real good look at him....... trying to make my decision. 30 yards......... 25 yards..... still coming....... at 20 yards..... he stops and starts feeding on acorns........ 17 yards...... finally standing broadside..... slightly quartering away...... easy slam dunk shot. But I decided not to shoot! What's wrong with me?

He feeds all around my tree and I have at least five slam dunk chances to kill him, but I just watch him as he feeds on the acorns. He finally heads to the north and is gone. I shake my head........ I didn't even take any pictures of him.

He is by far....... the biggest buck I've passed up to date. Most guys would be grinning from ear to ear to harvest this buck...... but something made me pass..... and I'm not sure why. It reminds me of the seven pointer from last season, but he is slightly bigger.

I sat until 9:30 but decided that it was warming up and the wind was blowing harder and the deer were not going to be moving much so I climbed out and walked to my truck. I entered the bean field from a different path and found a nice watering hole loaded with tracks. It's plain to see the deer in the area are all using this. It's the only water source within a mile of here. I'll post a picture below.

I was almost there when my buddy that owns the farm came riding up to me on his lawnmower. We talked about a lot of different things for about a half hour before I headed home. It was a good morning....... but I still don't know why I didn't kill that 8 pointer.

I've got a bunch of things going on this next week and I'm not ever sure when I will get back down there. Here's hoping I will be rewarded with one of the three bigger bucks living in the area.

19-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
here's the waterhole on the bean field.
pogo's embedded Photo
here's the waterhole on the bean field.

19-Oct-18
Nothing at all wrong with you. You didn't want to kill him. Isn't always about killing.

22-Oct-18
Well...... It was bound to happen. I hunted this morning with a perfect wind. Nothing came into the oaks. I was sitting in the stand by about 6:15 until 10:30. Nothing..... zip..... nada! I'm scratching my head on this one!

I spoke with two other hunters that hunted the farm both Saturday and Sunday and they didn't see any deer either.

Next hunt is probably Thursday.

23-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
This is the number two buck that lives on the farm
pogo's embedded Photo
This is the number two buck that lives on the farm
pogo's embedded Photo
Number three buck on the farm
pogo's embedded Photo
Number three buck on the farm
pogo's embedded Photo
I believe this is the one I passed up last week
pogo's embedded Photo
I believe this is the one I passed up last week
It's a rainy day here and I've got some work to do...... yes..... retired guys have work too.

I was just going through some of my trail cam photos and found a pic of the reason I passed on the 8 pointer last week. I actually forgot I had this picture.

23-Oct-18
There is one buck better but all the photos are blurry but I believe him to be at least a ten point with about an 18 to 22" spread and 14 to 16" G2's. He has enormous brow tines too. I hope to get a good photo of him to share with you........ with me holding his rack up.

Hunting tomorrow morning possibly but Thursday for sure.

24-Oct-18
sounds like a giant. good luck!

25-Oct-18
This morning's hunt was...... just okay...... nothing great. I guess my anticipation was too high. I did see deer while in my ladder stand....... just not the right one.

The first deer seen came from the bean field early. It was just about ten minutes after I could see my pins. Two deer..... one pretty good sized..... followed closely by a much smaller deer came from the north and moved slowly to the south passing 20 yards behind my stand. I figured it was a doe and fawn. I didn't pay much attention to them as I was watching their back trail for a following buck.

But after they passed by....... and we're about 30 yards away...... the bigger of the two stopped.... turned around...... and head butted the smaller one. And the smaller one gave it back. The bigger deer turned away and started to "run play" kicking it's hind legs high in the air and the small one mimicked him. I do believe that maybe it was a spike and button buck traveling together while the little ones mama was being courted by Mr. Big.

At around 8:30....... I saw some movement on the edge of the bean field..... realized it was indeed and lone deer and immediately thought buck. I grabbed my bow and was ready. The deer turned towards the south and walked directly towards my stand. At about 40 yards out I was intently looking for a rack. There it was....... a four point. I hung my bow back up and watched him walk by at 15 yards..... and stopped in each and every shooting lane. He soon disappeared into the brush lot to the south.

It was starting to get breezy and I was chilled so I decided to have some coffee. I poured a cup and enjoyed the warmth. I even had some of my cookies I love while hunting. After I was done I grabbed my black rack and tried to rattle something in. Nothing came running but it was honestly a little too windy for it to work. I waited about 20 minutes and then poured another cup of coffee.

I was about two thirds done when I sensed movement to my north. I saw a decent sized deer walking from the west side of the oaks, heading east about 65 yards away. As it walked slowly, I tried my can call. It stopped shortly after my first bleat. It stood looking in my direction. I bleated again and it started walking towards my stand. I was standing and reaching for my bow when he stepped into a clearing and showed me his rack. It was a six point. I quit reaching for my bow and just watched him walk behind my stand, headed to the brush lot.

I sat until a little after 11:00, climbed out, checked trail cams and walked to my truck. Even though I hadn't had a chance at a good buck, I loved everything about being in the stand this morning. It was another successful hunt.

I'm not sure when I will hunt again but I think it might be on Monday. See you all then.

25-Oct-18
Always a good day seeing deer pogo keep it going.

26-Oct-18
Another thing I've noticed this year. I've never purchased any of the so called scent protecting hunting clothes because of the high cost. I've just considered them an expensive gimmick. I know lots of guys who've spent hundreds of dollars on one camo outfit yet they still get busted...... especially by old does.

Last year while shopping with my wife at Sam's Club I saw a camo parka and bib combo called "Scent Factor" in Realtree Extra pattern that looked real good, felt soft and was priced at $49.00. I bought one set for cold weather use. At just about the end of the season last year, i bought another when they marked them down to $29.00. They are warm, soft, water repellant and just a good looking camo pattern.

During the past three hunts I've worn them because of the drop in temperature and I've been toasty warm every morning in the stand even when the wind is a little more active, especially just as the sun rises above the eastern horizon. You all know of that chill..... always the coldest part of the morning.

But I've also noticed that not one deer has altered their course through the woods because of my presence....... even coming in directly from my downwind side! Yesterday..... every single buck came in from my downwind side and never knew I was there.

Hmmmm......... Maybe there is something to it! Now...... I only wished I had purchased the snow camo outfit too...... except I probably won't be doing much hunting in the late snowy and colder hunting season. My coffee cools down too quickly to enjoy with my cookies.

29-Oct-18
Today...... was the first hunt day without me seeing a deer. But it was also an evening watch which I don't have a lot of faith in.

I decided to go down to the farm and move a ladder stand out of the northwest corner of the farm and put it on the east side of the oaks..... about 80 yards east of my best ladder stand. But plans changed after I got down to the farm.

I walked directly to the northwest corner and to my surprise there was deer sign everywhere! Just two weeks ago I couldn't find a track anywhere near that corner but today forced me to make a decision..... so I cleared out some shooting lanes and left that stand in place.

I walked through a thick area just south of that stand and out to the bean field. One thing I noticed while in there was that none of scrapes had been visited for several days. And no new rubs either.

The beans are turning brown so the deer won't be eating them as much so I took down the corner stand and hauled it to the east side of the oaks...... making two trips. I had it set up in no time and decided to sit until dark.

And sit I did....... It was pretty windy but from the west which is a perfect direction for this stand. I was hoping the deer would move from the southern brush lot bedding area to the bean field..... but nothing..... but squirrels.

I wish I had a better report for you but not this time.

I'm looking forward to the next morning hunt on Wednesday.

31-Oct-18
This is not a good day. I was up and ready to jump in the shower at 5:00am but checked the Scoutlook weather app and this morning's wind will not work for any of my stands. It changed late last night. Add in an all morning rain, heavy at times, I decided to go back to bed.

I might go down to the farm in a couple of hours and set up my pop up blind on one of the bean fields that will be huntable on days like this. I wish I had thought of it sooner.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

31-Oct-18
So I have said that you might learn from my mistakes. I blew it! I failed to put my blind out last week when I first thought it might produce and then this morning, it bit me in the butt.

After much thought this morning..... and after kicking myself in the ass.... I went down to the farm, set up my blind on the west end of the small bean field and brushed it in.

As I was walking in I spotted what I thought was licking branch on the north edge. I walked over to it and sure enough, there was a scrape.... and another...... another...... and 4 or 5 more. All were within about 50 yards of where I planned to put my blind.

After I finished I just sat in there for about a half hour enjoying the view. As I left I put a marker out in the field at just 20 yards so I know where to put my decoy.

Maybe....... tomorrow will be better.

31-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
my blind before I was finished brushing it in
pogo's embedded Photo
my blind before I was finished brushing it in

31-Oct-18

pogo's embedded Photo
my blind after I finished brushing it in
pogo's embedded Photo
my blind after I finished brushing it in

31-Oct-18
Wow nice job!

31-Oct-18
Shot one buck from a ground blind about 10 years ago and it definitely is exciting.

31-Oct-18
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be in the blind tomorrow morning with my little buck decoy out in front at about 20 yards. I've had a lot of success rattling so far..... nothing big.... but haven't tried it with the decoy in the open.

There is a ton of buck sign around this bean field but the only problem is I will have to walk down the edge to get to the blind. I'll be going in early and hope I don't spook anything.

I'll be back tomorrow with another entry..... let's hope it's a good one.

01-Nov-18
I only hunt from the ground. it's awesome having deer within 10 yards and they don't even know you are there. Treestand hunting is too boring for me.

01-Nov-18
Well......... where do I begin. My fears were proven this morning.

I arrived at the farm a little before 6:00am and started getting my gear loaded up. My bow..... my pack and my decoy named Jack. The walk was easy..... it's all slightly downhill and I didn't a flashlite at all.

As I entered the bean field I decided my best route to the blind was straight up the middle. If any deer were in there feeding, maybe they'd sneak into the woods, watch me walk by and then return to feed. There was a slight rain falling and the temps were in the mid 40's.

As I started into the second half of the field I was hit with the odor of wet deer. Yep...... there were some deer feeding in the dark. But...... I continued on straight to the blind. I dropped my pack and bow and then went to set Jack up.

Jack was ready.... and so was I. I set my bow and pack inside and entered the blind. Once I got everything organized, I started opening the windows that needed to be opened and then I got comfortable waiting for daylight. As I glanced out to find Jack I noticed something else. Was that a deer or was my mind playing tricks on me. To the left of Jack was a big dark something that I hadn't noticed before. I mean..... I hadn't been in the blind for three minutes...... it couldn't possibly be a deer. Wrong! It was a deer indeed.

It fed around Jack for at least fifteen minutes. It even stopped right behind him and sniffed him. It was getting close to daylight but I still didn't know if it was a buck or doe but I couldn't see any horns.

Another deer entered the field and just stood and watched Jack and the other deer. It took a couple more steps towards Jack and I determined that it was a doe. It started feeding and basically ignored Jack. After about five minutes, it walked towards the corner of the field where there is a trail leading towards the swamp bedding area. The first deer in the field followed and was gone.

I sat and watched the rain increase in volume and my mind wandered back to a very similar day about thirty years ago. I had sat on morning watch with a rifle that belonged to my uncle, in the rain....... and after about 10:00am decided to do some still hunting. After about an hour and a half, I had entered a small hemlock swamp the secluded from the wind. As I came around one tree, I saw the telltale flicker of an ear about 40 yards away. There was a small buck bedded.

I eased my rifle off of my shoulder and raised it slowly towards the ear. As I looked through the scope, I saw his rack..... all four points. I found his head and then his neck. Once the crosshairs were centered, I took off the safety, squeezed the trigger and the game was over. He didn't know what hit him and I was in love with still hunting.

I've never tried still hunting with a bow but what the heck..... it would be fun. I packed up my gear and put Jack in the blind and headed towards the oaks. I hadn't gone two hundred yards before I saw my first deer. There was a six pointer bedded on the edge of the bean field just 60 yards away. He was facing away from me and the wind was in my face.

I knocked an arrow and slowly but surely moved closer inch by inch. 50 yards...... 45 yards..... 40 yards. He had no idea I was there. At 35 yards I blew it. I hadn't seen the shoehorn to my left...... but he saw me and took off....... dragging the six point with him. The game was over, but oh so much fun.

I headed home but decided to return in the afternoon. I grabbed some lunch and headed back walking to the blind in the rain. I got Jack set up and made myself comfortable. And nothing changed that at all. No deer were seen this evening. But it did rain pretty hard.

I'm planning on hunting Saturday morning but not sure which stand it will be. If the wind is right, I'd love to hunt the blind again. All of my decisions are based on wind direction.

01-Nov-18

pogo's embedded Photo
old Jack is ready for action
pogo's embedded Photo
old Jack is ready for action

02-Nov-18
This morning was a little bit better. I sat in the blind once again and had three different bucks come to my decoy out of curiosity but no shooters. One spike and two four pointers all hanging together at around 8:30. They all sniffed Jack and didn't spook and eventually headed north to bed.

I just got home and have some yard work to get done but I hope to hunt tomorrow morning.

03-Nov-18
Rain...... rain...... and more rain! I'm starting to get tired of it. I would have cancelled but it was the first day of crossbow. Maybe I should of..... as I sit in my chair with a bag of ice on my left knee.

My day started out walking down to the oaks. But things happened on my way there. First thing..... as I was about 3/4 of the way down..... I noticed I had lost two bolts out of my quiver..... one hunting bolt and my discharge bolt. I have no idea how or why hut they were gone. I decided to find them on the way out and continued on towards my stand.

I got as far as the little spring creek I needed to cross and it was running hard so I altered my normal route a little to cross a little easier. Once I got on the other side..... I tripped over something and went down.... hitting my knee or a pretty good sized rock. I got back up..... picked up my crossbow and started back to the trail but didn't make it very far. I tripped again and fell on the same damn rock! It was a root sticking up and not a branch on the ground I suspected.

Once again l got back up and headed towards the trail. I finished my walk to my ladder stand..... tied my crossbow and backpack to two different hauling lines and climbed up. Once securely in my stand I pulled up my pack and hung it on my hook and pulled my crossbow up and hung it on my bow holder. I reached for one of my two remaining bolts to load onto my crossbow and dropped it to the forest floor. So..... I climbed back down and retrieved it.

I sat in the dark and watched as Ed and Craig, the other hunters hunting the farm walked in shining their flashlights everywhere.

As it started to get light, I had a doe and fawn feeding around my stand..... getting the last of the acorns. I had considered shooting the doe but passed.

It was three hours before seeing another deer..... but it was a shooter.......passing me by about 60 yards away and walking past Craigs ladder stand by about 40 yards so I was helpless to do anything. He kept walking and when I was sure he was well past Craig's stand I hit the rattle horns and the buck stopped.

I ticked the horns together with a medium volume and he turned in my direction and started to come on a trot. I got up and grabbed my crossbow and was ready. He came within 40 yards but was behind trees every time he stopped so he offered me no shot. He finally gave up on trying to find the fight and he headed to the brush lot bedding area.

I sat until 11:00 but climbed out and headed home. The walk out was slow and a little painful but I made it home in time to see the kickoff for the Syracuse University football game against Wake Forest.

Next hunt will be Monday morning I hope.

04-Nov-18
This morning would have been a great morning to be in the stand. Nice and frosty here near Rochester.... but still nursing my knee. It is feeling better. I'm planing to hunt the blind tomorrow morning with the weather forecast and projected wind direction.

This has got to be the week! My hunting opportunities are getting fewer. I can hunt Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday during the week. Possibly next Sunday and Monday morning. Then.... my season comes to an end as my wife and i fly to Albuquerque, New Mexico to be with our grandson for his 5th birthday. I'm also giving up my opening day of gun season for him. But...... I've already killed enough deer in my lifetime.

See you all tomorrow after the hunt.

04-Nov-18
Good luck. Looks like Thursday will be really nice however to far in advance to predict with the weather changing from hour to hour.

04-Nov-18
The grandson is definitely more important than any deer. Congratulations to you !

05-Nov-18
I was excited this morning....... so much so that I woke up a half hour before my alarm went off. I decided to just get up and get the day started. A quick shower, dressed, coffee in the thermos, cookies bagged and I was on the road. I was at the farm by 5:30.

I parked and starting getting ready for the walk in. I slid on my boots and decided to cock the crossbow before the walk but there was a problem. My cocking rope was back at the house. $#%&*&#@%

I took off my boots....... packed my outer clothes bag in the travel bag and drove home to get it. I decided to stop at the bank and get some money out of the drive through teller. I had to kill a few minutes because my wife was sleeping with her alarm set for 6:00. I pulled into my driveway a couple of minutes before 6:00 and sat in my truck until I saw some lights come on.

I was back on my way and arrived at the farm at about 6:25 and started my ritual one more time. It was already turning light so the good thing was I didn't need a flashlight. I could clearly into the bean fields. No deer were feeding..... any place.

I got down to my blind, set the gear in the blind and got Jack set up and sprayed down as the wind started to get stronger along with a little rain. I got myself settled in and was glad to be in rhe blind this morning instead of a tree stand.

It wasn't ten minutes before a doe came out of the woods to my left to flirt with Jack. She was inside of the twenty yard marker. I was enjoying the show but then she started getting nervous watching the southwest corner of the field. She suddenly spun around and headed north back into the woods. I have no idea what spooked her.

About ten minutes later, three deer entered the beans about 150 yards away. They were just eating their was from north to south. They all stopped to check out Jack but kept feeding their way across the field.

About fifteen minutes later another doe ran out of the woods from the north and ran across the field to the south. I was hoping a buck was pursuing her but nothing else came out.

I sat in the blind until after 11:00 and decided to leave. I was out of coffee..... out of cookies..... and out of deer. This was a strange day. I hope Wednesday will be better.

07-Nov-18
Today has been wet....... windy...... and warm. Not really good for the rut..... if there is one yet. You can't prove it by what I'm experiencing lately.

I arrived at the farm and got ready for my walk. Yay! I have my cocking rope with me. Lol! The walk down the trail to the oaks was rather routine. At least until I hit the second bean field. I had a feeling there were deer out there so I stopped walking and tried to scan the field. Yep...... five deer were counted in the very dim light. I couldn't tell you what they were but they were there and nervous. I had the wind in my favor but they knew something wasn't right and decided to leave.

After they ran off, I continued on my way to my stand in the oaks. I was up and comfortable in very little time waiting for the constant parade of does wwith shooter bucks in tow. Yeah..... okay!

It was about 8:30 before I saw my first deer...... a doe coming towards my stand from the swamp bedding area. When she was a mere 30 yards away..... she layed down and bedded. I continued to watch her back trail for a follower. Sure enough...... i saw movement through the trees. I could now see a deer walking her trail with its head down and trailing like a be able.

I reached for my crossbow and was ready. But....... if it had horns..... they were small. The doe looked back at the trailing deer..... jumped up and ran towards the south.... and the trailing deer was in hot pursuit. I do believe it was a buck but I couldn't see any horns.

I tried my rattle horns on and off for the couple of hours with no response but I'm sure it was hard to hear with the wind speed increasing. At around 10:30 a small spikehorn walked slowly from the brush lot to the south and walked 10 yards from my stand. He disappeared into the swamp bedding area.

I sat until almost noon enjoying my coffee and cookies hoping for some mature deer action. I took a round about way back to my truck checking things out on the east property line.

I was almost up to the horse barn when I noticed a deer trotting through the bean field where my blind is setup. I knew it was a buck by the way it was acting. It was constantly moving with its nose to the ground. I ducked into the hedge row to watch the show. It turned in my direction and I could see the horns. Then he turned and went the other way. He finally went into the other hedge row. I decided to play with him.

I put on a facemask and pulled out my rattle horns and started to play some rumble music and sure enough...... He came out of the hedge row and stood, looking in my direction. I hit them again...... He started trotting in my direction but slammed on his brakes just 20 yards away. He couldn't find the fight. He finally turned and walked away and went back to the other hedge row.

I finished my walk to my truck and headed home slightly satisfied with my morning hunt. I'll be back at it tomorrow morning. I've only got about three or four more hunts left.

08-Nov-18
Today was a very disappointing day. I took the long way around on the way in so I wouldn't bump the deer off the beans but it didn't matter. Somebody else walked in through the bean field. I could see his flashlight coming towards the oaks but he stopped at the end of the bean field.

There is a ladder stand on the south edge of the bean field and that's where the light went out. And...... the wind direction was blowing this guys scent directly towards any deer that might return. It's in a bad place. It was also starting to get light out by the time his flashlight went out.

I had paid way to much attention to his flashlight and when I looked to my left, there were two deer about 35 yards..... They had already picked me off. They turned and headed to the brush lot to the south. I sat..... and sat..... and nothing more until a little after 9:30.

Two deer were coming out if the swamp bedding area and heading towards the east corner of the bean field. They passed about sixty yards away. It was two little bucks..... a six point and a spike.

I enjoyed some coffee and cookies without being interrupted until 11:00. I noticed a big deer about 150 yards away moving slowly towards the brush lot to the south. I hit the rattle horns and it stopped and looked in my direction. I played a little rumble music but the deer continued towards his intended destination. I put my binoculars on him and was shocked. It was the big boy of the neighborhood and he was walking out of my life.

I stayed in my stand until almost 1:00pm hoping he would be running a doe but nothing was happening so I climbed out and checked my trail cams. It was very disappointing. One daylight photo of a juvenile doe and a few nocturnal little bucks.

I walked out trying to plan my hunting days remaining. I can't hunt the next two days. I've got tickets to the Syracuse/Louisville football game tomorrow evening and won't be getting back home until well after midnight. That leaves me with just two more sits, Sunday and Monday before we fly to Albuquerque on Tuesday.

I'm cutting it close friends....... too close. I might eat my bow tags. Does anyone have a good recipe?

09-Nov-18
I bet today would have been a great day to be in a tree. Colder temps and snow falling.

Oh well..... at least I have tickets to the Syracuse vs. Louisville football game tonight.

Next hunt will be Sunday morning but I haven't broke the news to my wife yet.

11-Nov-18
This morning was a complete disappointment. I hunted the west side stand which is in a little thicker location on the west wide of the farm. Traditionally better later in the bow season. I only saw two lone does, about a half hour apart and one little four pointer. There were three other hunters on the farm this morning and nobody saw anything any bigger than a six point.

Tomorrow morning will be my last hunt for the bow season as we fly out early Tuesday morning for New Mexico. I'll only hunt until around 11:00am and then pull trail cams and my blind.

See you tomorrow.

P.S. to all of my veteran brothers and sisters.......... Thank you for your service to our great nation. God bless you all!

11-Nov-18

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
I just found out that one of our hunters, Tommy killed a seven point on Thursday evening.

12-Nov-18

pogo's embedded Photo
I was treated to another spectacular sunrise this morning.
pogo's embedded Photo
I was treated to another spectacular sunrise this morning.

12-Nov-18
My last day of my 2018 bow/crossbow was a successful day! I was granted another beautiful sunrise, as seen in the above photo! And that's really the story!

At age 68 i was still able to hunt from a ladder stand...... I was able to navigate the woods in the dark........ i was blessed to have another chance to harvest a whitetail deer!

I WAS STILL ABLE TO MAKE THE CHOICE TO HARVEST........ OR.......... NOT TO HARVEST!

THIS WAS AN EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL SEASON!

You see....... its never been about the kill. Its always been about the hunt itself...... nothing more.

I decided to return to the oaks this morning. The weather app showed the perfect wind direction for my favorite stand today. I took the long way around this morning hoping that the deer in the beans might be relaxed and head to their bedding area using their normal trails.

I climbed up my ladder, pulled my bow and pack up in the dark and got ready for the hunt. As it turned light I was grateful just to be there and I thanked God for all the blessings he has granted me.

About ten minutes after I could see my crosshairs of my crossbow scope, i saw movement coming from the bean field to my north. Two deer cautiously entered the oaks and started their walk towards the brush lot to the south. They were on a course where they would pass about fifty yards in front of me.

They stopped about sixty yards away and became nervous. I looked at both through my binoculars and decided that they were not what I would harvest. The first was a cow horned spike..... the second was a six pointer. Then they altered their course to the east and got down wind from me which made them change direction towards the northeast.

About a half hour later I saw two deer walking through the far side of tge oaks, coming from the cat tail swamp and heading towards the brush lot to the south. I wasn't sure if they were does or not so I hit my rattling horns and they stopped and looked in my direction. I was able to see that the first one was a doe but i couldn't see the other one clearly. Then they trotted to the brush lot.

It was shortly after that I realized another hunter was about 100 yards out in front of me. That explains why the first two changed their course. His scent was blowing right into them.

I was then treated to a sight I never get tired of. About ten to twenty Tom turkeys were feeding their way across the oaks to my south. There were several big old gobblers in the bunch. What a sight to see.

At about 9:45 I saw the other hunter climbing out of his stand. It was Craig. He stopped over for a little chat and then quietly headed out towards the east. I sat for another hour.... i didn't want this day to end. When it was finally time I lowered my pack and my crossbow and reluctantly climbed out. My last archery season was............ over.

I stopped and retrieved my trail cams..... walked to my blind with all intentions of taking it down but when i got over to it, i changed my mind and left it up. I might just hunt it mext Sunday afternoon after we return from seeing the grandkids in New Mexico.

I walked to my truck and headed home..... calling my wife to let her know I was headed home. I backed into our driveway and put my hunting gear away and threw my hunting clothing into the washer before eating some lunch.

Thanks for following along once again this year and humoring me from time to time. I've honesty enjoyed every minute that I was up a tree.

Hunt safe and do not take one moment for granted!

12-Nov-18
Thanks for sharing your season. It sounds like a great one as far as quality time.

13-Nov-18
Good stories pogo I enjoyed it as always!

13-Nov-18
Thanks for letting us tag along.

19-Nov-18

pogo's Link
We are back from Albuquerque. We had an absolutely great time sharing hugs, kisses and lots of love. I've attached a short video for all to see.

I plan on getting back to hunting the farm shortly.

20-Nov-18
Awesome stuff!

My boys (2 and 6) are in the Ninja class at a local gym. It is really cool.

22-Nov-18
I haven't been on Bowsite.com since ~ September because of work, hunting in my spare moments and well....life. Anyhow so I'm trying to get caught up on what's happening in the brotherhood. Pogo I wish you and your wife the very best. I enjoy your postings throughout the years. And look forward to your video blog. Best regards! Arrwkner82

26-Nov-18
I haven't felt the urge to gun hunt since we returned from New Mexico but as I'm watching the weather....... Wednesday and Thursday look promising. If I get inspired I just might go.

28-Nov-18
Not a thing moving this morning. We received abour fives inches of snow over night I hunted the northwest corner stand with a perfect wind direction. I sat until 10:00am and then climbed out and made a short circle. Not even an old track was seen.

I probably should have hunted all day but my wife had a follow up appointment with her doctor this afternoon. He told us her blood test showed she is still in remission, thank God.

I'll hunt tomorrow morning.

30-Nov-18
I hunted all day yesterday at the farm. My morning hunt was in my favorite stand in the oaks. Nothing has been in there in the past 24 hours except squirrels. But the sit was nice bringing memories of past hunts. I actually poured my first cup of coffee at around 8:00am.... my last at around 11:00.

I climbed down and made a circle around the property line on the west and north side. There were very few tracks to be found in the 24 hour snowfall. I decided to sit on the north property line in a hedge row overlooking the bean field. I sat until dark and not a deer was seen in this field or the big field which I could see 75% of from my location.

I might try again in a day or two.

30-Nov-18
It always amazes me how areas can change, one day deer are numerous, then nothing. ...Tom

30-Nov-18
It always amazes me how areas can change, one day deer are numerous, then nothing. ...Tom

01-Dec-18
This farm gets hammered during the gun season by the other three guys. They also almost always bring in some friends and they put on drives.

The only time I've had a successful hunt after the end of bow season was the last day of late muzzleloader season four years ago. I killed that six pointer without brow tines during the last hour of the season. Nobody had hunted since the week before.

I might wait a while to hunt it again.

04-Dec-18
I had a pretty good hunt this afternoon. I had all of my honey do list completed by 11:00am and decide to go to the farm for the afternoon sit. We had a little fresh snow on the ground and as I walked down past the horse barn, I noticed a couple of tracks that had to be made this morning. It was encouraging.

I walked towards the oaks looking for any sign. I knew that I had a great wind direction for the oaks if it looked promising. I didn't find any tracks at all but I decided to sit on the east boundary line and see if anything came through this evening. I wasn't expecting what I saw though. More on that in a minute.

I do not like hunting from a treestand during gun season. It always seems like when I do...... I always see deer in the distance and not in range. If I'm on the ground I can usually stalk into gun range. So...... I carried my stool from my pop up blind and found a good tree to sit up against on the east property line. There is a small crp field behind me and the wind was steady in my face. I was feeling pretty good until the last hour of daylight.

I kept watching the south border and finally saw movement..... and it was right when I expected to see deer. Wrong! Two guys come walking out of the bedding area wearing a lot of orange but they hadn't been hunting. As they walked along the far edge of the crp field I was able to see they were carrying a couple of pole saws. They must have moved a stand or two. So I decided I had better move for the last hour. Nothing was going to be coming out of that bedding area.

I got my pack on my back and my muzzleloader on my shoulder and made a bee line for the north corner by way of the edge of the bean field. I was looking for tracks as I walked quickly along the edge.

I was about half way across the field when I saw a big deer in the next bean field through the hedge row. I froze as he fed along the north side of the field heading west as he slowly walked. When he was behind some trees i got into the woods and took off towards the field moving quickly...... at least as quickly as this old guy can move..... knowing he couldn't see me moving. I slowed down as I approached the field edge and started still hunting to the edge.

Just before I got to the edge...... I saw him feeding towards me. He had no idea I was there. I put the scope on him at fifty yards and saw horns right away..... all six points. I lowered my muzzleloader and enjoyed just watching. This hunt was a success!

He kept coming closer and when he was less than twenty yards, he must have noticed something wasn't right. He stopped....... looked in my direction........ tested the wind..... and stood..... and stood. He finally decided he better get out of there..... turned and trotted back across the field. He stopped...... turning broadside....... and just stood there again for at least one minute before disappearing into the woods.

I decided to stand right there until dark. I saw one other small deer in the northeast corner of the field and it was feeding its way towards me. I looked at the deer with my binoculars and decided it was a button buck. I didn't see his buttons but I could just tell. He finally changed directions and walked out of the field towards the north and was gone.

I turned around and headed south through the woods and walked slowly into the big field after making sure no deer were out feeding. I walked across the north edge and out to the trail up to the horse barn. I saw one other deer on a field of the next farm over but it was getting dark enough that I couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe.

My hunt was over and i enjoyed the heater in my truck on my way home. And I was extremely grateful for another successful hunt.

I think I will have to concentrate on afternoon hunts on the north end for the rest of this season.

06-Dec-18
I'm back at it this afternoon sitting on the south side of the bean field I found the deer on a couple of days ago.

Let's see what happens.

06-Dec-18

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo

07-Dec-18
My hunt proved to be pretty uneventful with the exception of the flock of 15 to 20 turkeys that entered the west end of the field about an hour before dark.

I'm probably not hunting again until Monday.

11-Dec-18
I had a surprisingly good hunt today. I arrived at the farm a little before noon and started walking the north property line in an effort to see where the deer are. I also picked a tree tgat would be perfect for a ladder stand..... should I get a chance to hunt next year. Yep..... I said it. If the good Lord gives me the opportunity...... I'm going to jump on it.

After walking the north property line and not really seeing much, I headed into the next bean field and started walking the western edge. I thought I might sit in the same location that I took my first muzzleloader buck on but I never got to it.

As I was walking to the trail i spotted another hunter slowly walking the trail. I called out to him and he turned around with the oh shit look on his face. I asked if he had permission and he said he did. I asked who gave him permission and he threw out a name. Wrong! Then he started to stutter and stammer. I strongly suggested that he turn around and head out to the road before I called the police and he hung his head and walked out.

I moved to the back corner of the oaks so I could watch the brush lot to the south and the corner of the swamp bedding area. Theres a place there where I can see all of the way across the oaks. I got comfy, waited and watched. It didn't take long. Two does came out of tbe swamp and trotted towards the brush lot to the south. I thought about shooting one of them but decided against it. They were broadside at 40 yards. I kept watching their back trail hoping for a buck but there wasn't any. Then I saw another deer running out of the swamp about 100 yards away and it disappeared into the brush lot.

Two minutes went by and here comes another deer from the brush lot and is heading right at me. I shouldered my muzzleloader and checked it out in the scope. It was a doe and she stopped about thirty yards away. She stood there for a few seconds trying to decide what I was. She finally trotted past me heading towards the bean field.

I was about to declare my day a success when movement caught my eye to my right and slightly behind me. Four more does walked out of the swamp and walked towards me. When they were at twenty yards, they stopped and stood looking in my direction. Then they continued towards me passing behind the tree I was standing against by just five yards. I couldn't help but smile. They turned to the north after they got by me and headed towards the bean field.

I looked at my phone...... it wasn't even 1:00pm yet and the deer were moving. But I was shocked at seeing this many does and not one buck.

I continued to watch from this spot until dark before walking out to the truck in the dark. It was a pretty good day, indeed. I might have to hunt again tomorrow!

13-Dec-18

pogo's embedded Photo
This is the same spit I took my big 6 pointer without guard tines a few years ago. It was the last buck I've killed coincidencadently.
pogo's embedded Photo
This is the same spit I took my big 6 pointer without guard tines a few years ago. It was the last buck I've killed coincidencadently.
This is a beautiful afternoon to sit on the edge of a bean field until dark thirty. I'm not actually on the edge but just twenty yards inside the woods.

Not many more days left of this season.

13-Dec-18
Just before dark..... two doe and a small four point walked by at about fifty yards.

I might try again in the morning.

14-Dec-18
Slow morning. I saw two small deer about 100 yards away moving through the oaks from the bean field towards the brush lot to the south at around 7:30am.

Not hunting until Monday morning.

17-Dec-18
I had another slow morning this morning. One small lone doe was seen about sixty yards away walking from the bean field to the brush lot to the south. It's supposed to get colder tonight with some overnight snow so I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow.

02-Mar-19
Pogo. Good luck. Very Good hunting Down South too! Just an adjustment. God Bless. Prayers for the Mrs. Mad Dog

07-Mar-19
Thanks Mad dog....... my wife had another scare just as hunting season closed. A CT Scan showed another growth on her diaphragm. She had surgery and it turned out to be a herniated diaphragm allowing part of her liver to protrude. She was put back together and is healing well.

No more cancer was found so we are cautiously optimistic.

I hope to go back to the farm and shed hunt and retrieve trail cams next week after she returns to work on Monday.

07-Mar-19
Glad to hear it wasn't the worst scenario. I believe you will hunt again this fall in NY...Tom

07-Mar-19
Glad to hear it wasn't the worst scenario. I believe you will hunt again this fall in NY...Tom

07-Mar-19
Thanks T ZEKE......

In my heart....... I agree with you. I've scheduled our motorhome trip for a November 15th departure in case I decide to hunt.

In my brain....... I'm not that sure . But I'm going through all the prep work.... trail cams, shed hunting, moving stands, cutting shooting lanes, etc...... just in case. We will see how I feel physically and mentally and will make the decision when the time is right.

If I decide to hunt in 2019...... it will be my last year to hunt for sure.

Our motorhome trip, departing in fall of 2020, will be earlier in the year. We want to attend the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque, New Mexico which is in early October so I know I won't be hunting in 2020.

11-Apr-19

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
big rub just inside the woods within 30 yards gets me excited for next season
pogo's embedded Photo
big rub just inside the woods within 30 yards gets me excited for next season
Just in case... I went to the farm this morning and moved a ladder stand to the north side of the field that my blind was set up on last season. I always had deer in front of me in the morning but I think it would be a better evening stand early in the season.

I'm hoping they plant corn this year but if not, there is also a big white oak tree right there.

13-Apr-19
Hopefully, I have many years to hunt, but at 51and with very limited time, I'm treating every day hunting as if it could be my last. Mad Dog

• Sitka Gear