Treeline 25-Sep-18
High&Wide 25-Sep-18
scrapwood 25-Sep-18
ryanrc 25-Sep-18
a'Lish 25-Sep-18
Brun 28-Sep-18
SixLomaz 03-Oct-18
24-Sep-18
Following our move to CO a year ago, I decided I was gonna figure out how to bowhunt elk. After a big mixup with my CO preference points and the leftover tag list, I ended up with an Idaho elk tag. A buddy and I were gonna team up on them and bring home an elk. He wanted to finish up the CO bow season first and spend the last week of September in Idaho. My schedule was different so I headed up alone on Thursday.

During the first trip to ID 10 days earlier, we had a good encounter with a big bull but messed it up. Naturally, I headed back to this spot Thursday to start. When I pulled up, I could see loads of people camping in the area so I headed to “Plan B” where I found only 1 group of people camped. This was a spot I found on Google Earth but had never seen. I parked at 11 PM and loaded 3 days of supplies and my gear into my pack and started walking. The hope was I could hear some bugling at night and set up camp near them for the morning hunt.

Around 1 AM, I was over 3 miles in and worn out. When I started looking for a level spot to pitch the tent, an elk started barking at me. I stood still for a half hour til it left and moved another 1/4 mile to set up camp. I slept from 2:30 til 5 and got ready to hunt. I got a bull to answer a bugle at 8 AM on Friday but he was with cows and wouldn’t come in. I struck another bull at 1:30 PM with a locator bugle but the wind switched and that herd busted me. I walked 9 miles that day according to Onyx and I was in elk.

I woke up Saturday and went to a high point on the mountain to listen at 5:30 AM. A bull bugled at 6 AM about 1/4 mile away below me. As soon as it was light enough, I moved get the wind right and started cow calling. He would answer but wouldn’t leave his cows to come to me. It was THICK and NASTY in there and I’d move when he did, trying to keep the wind in my favor. At 8:44, I had gotten within 80 yards of him. I could hear him breaking sticks when he walked but still couldn’t see him. I cupped my hand and threw my soft cow calls behind me. When he bugled, I answered with a challenge bugle. He was MAD! He started thrashing and came in fast. When he stopped to destroy a tree at 15 yards, I came to full draw. He got done and started to circle downwind. I put an arrow thru his lungs at 8 yards before he could get there.

I gave him a little time and walked up to him at 9:15 and took some pictures with the timer. He was in quarters and hanging in game bags by noon and I started packing him the 3.5 miles to the coolers at the truck. I got the last load to the truck at 3 AM Sunday morning. Approximately 25 miles total according to Onyx....half of them loaded with meat on my back. Every muscle in my body is sore. My legs feel like someone smashed them with a sledge hammer. My feet are blistered. I had some interesting moments over that 15 hour packout with wolves, black bears and one very upset free range angus bull. Boot camp was a walk in the park compared to that experience.

It was everything I had hoped for and prepared for. I can’t wait to do it all again....

24-Sep-18
Nice! Any pics of the bull?

24-Sep-18
Great story - Congrats!

24-Sep-18
Nice, I would love to see pictures!

24-Sep-18

starbux's embedded Photo
starbux's embedded Photo
starbux's embedded Photo
starbux's embedded Photo

24-Sep-18
nice !!!

24-Sep-18
Wait, what happened with the wolves and bear? Nice work!

24-Sep-18
I had big black bear tracks in my tracks near the kill site right before dark. I packed the meat up to a meadow for the last 2 loads. He had moved the torso sometime between 3:30 and 7PM between trips out with meat. I got to the last rear quarter at 1:15AM for the last trip out. The wolves started howling a couple miles away...no big deal, right? I had no gas left in the tank but started back. The elk and cattle know when wolves are near and act differently. I was still about 2 miles from the truck with a bloody hind quarter on my back. I topped a hill with the wind at my back and I guess the angus bull smelled it after hearing the wolves. He freaked and started after me bellowing and snorting. There were no trees with limbs to climb (assuming I had the strength to do so with 75 lbs of meat on my back). I had a .45 and am glad I didn’t have to use it. He stopped when I put my headlight in his eyes.

25-Sep-18
Great job! Congratulations on your first elk! Now you are in trouble!

25-Sep-18
Nicely done! You earned every bite of that bull.

25-Sep-18
Great story! Congrats and thanks for sharing it with us!

25-Sep-18
Congratulations

25-Sep-18
Starbux...congratulations! I played the game for the last week and had a blast; of course, it's more fun when you "win" one!

28-Sep-18
Congratulations and thanks for posting the story.

03-Oct-18
... next ... a baby whale hunt in South America ... sharks and killer whales abound

• Sitka Gear