Aces11 24-Sep-18
Zbone 24-Sep-18
Aces11 24-Sep-18
Zbone 25-Sep-18
Box Call 25-Sep-18
Aces11 25-Sep-18
Lever Action 27-Sep-18
24-Sep-18
I am looking at coming to hunt a little north of Bellefontaine. I have a buddy that has 20 acres. He doesn't hunt at all, but says there is deer there. If that doesn't work out I am wondering if there is much public land in the area and how hard it gets hit? I am not afraid to hike in to get away from people. Looking for possibly bow or shotgun.

24-Sep-18
It's a densely populated state people per acre... All public land gets high pressure, especially during gun seasons, to the point it's not real safe... Usually, the closer to the metro areas, the higher the pressure... Hunting property is in high demand due to dense population... Usually have to know somebody to have a place to hunt...

Its not like the Dakotas... Some from here go to the Dakotas to hunt... I went there for pronghorns and know some who hunt pheasants there annually... Lots more public access out there... Killed a pronghorn on private land what I think was called a "walk in area" where state works with land owners for public access... We haven't any programs of that type here... Good luck...

24-Sep-18
Thanks Zbone! I was looking at my OnX and was thinking it wasn’t working because it wasn’t showing much public land and zero walk in access. His neighbor has some land as well I might be able to get on. Would definitely be odd to be so limited in space if I came there to hunt. I might give it a try. I would be coming out also to visit, so not just a pure hunting trip.

25-Sep-18
Yeah, limited space... Aside from Wayne National Forests in southern Ohio, most of our public lands are small and get hammered compared to the Dakotas... Be careful out there gun season, the blaze orange army can be crazy... Again, good luck..

25-Sep-18
yea bud,the orange army idiots believe if its brown its down.public areas is hammered to death even in bow season.now straight walled cartridges for youth season.if in amish country,they drive a woods and thats it.gone.if ya aint got a private area,its hard.i know from experience.

25-Sep-18
That really stinks. Walk in access stuff is awesome to have. What is the reason Ohio doesn't get on board? Suppose they can lease it out for more than they would make putting it into walk in access. Looking at OnX in Ohio is almost depressing.

27-Sep-18
I have been hunting in more than 12 states and I have only seen one state that has worse deer hunting than OH. Add public land to that equation and it is the worst.

Sorry for you're misfortune. I tried to give it a go (public) for 7 years and while I had success, I had very little of it. I gave up and leased. Still not great but this is Ohio. I don't expect great or even good.

• Sitka Gear