steve 02-Oct-18
Toonces 02-Oct-18
bigbuckbob 02-Oct-18
GF 02-Oct-18
drslyr 02-Oct-18
MBish33 04-Oct-18
101stRecon 15-Oct-18
29-Sep-18
This is not a joke guys me and my son walked left the truck at 6:07 we t in a little late saw a guys truck parked up from where we park so figured we be ok. Headed into our man made ground blind get up on the knoll that we built it on and I hear thwack my kid says what the f.ck yup lighted nock right next to his foot this piece of shit shot in the dark no less and almost shot my kid. His truck is a mid to upper 2000s Chevy Silverado 1500 mass plates 24kj32 we were in nipmuk state forest if u see this truck don’t go near this asshat my kid is real shaken up as of right now doesn’t want to go back in woods deep has been notified again this is no joke if I’d have gone back it would have been a blood bath .

29-Sep-18
HOLY F@#K DUDE!!! glad you guys are ok..I cant imagine the emotions..Did you grab the arrow? maybe get the cops involved too..that's the one thing that truly scares me in the woods

29-Sep-18
Kid was so scared just kept saying dad bring me home please was I’m back here now dude is long gone honestly can’t believe I kept my composure and didn’t go up the tree after him I guess instinct kicked in to get my son out of there if I ever see this dudes truck again he won’t be able to drive it out of here

29-Sep-18
Wow thats absolutely horrible. You and your kid should never have to go through something like that. Hopefully it wasnt anyone from this site. Did you atleast say anything like what the heck are you doing?!?! I always have a light on so this doesnt happen. I have a buddy who also got shot at twice in nipmuck. This guy is lucky it wasnt me or some of the people I know. He would have learned how to fly. Shooting at you and your kid in the dark. This type of person thats not a hunter he is a douche bag. Glad to hear there is no arrow in you or your son. Give him time I am sure he will want to get back out. What an awful experience.

29-Sep-18
That is why I use a light going in and out in the dark. Twice years ago , I found myself looking at a rifle aimed in my direction. This was on state land - poacher! You have his license number and reported it which is a good thing and hopefully the ahole will pay for being stupid - fined and loss of license. I am glad that you and your son were not hurt and hopefully soon your son will get over the trauma.

29-Sep-18
That’s fd up some people should not be hunting period.

29-Sep-18
Incredible! I hope he loses his hunting license over this. I'm glad your son isnt hurt and I hope he goes hunting again.

29-Sep-18
Glad to hear you guys are ok. Smart that you were able to get his plate number... Keep us posted on that Mass ass.. There are still dumb people who shoot at movement.

29-Sep-18
I don’t know what I would have done it that happened to me and my son! Thank god nothing bad happened, I’d be shaken too! It really sucks to know that there are people that irresponsible and flat out stupid out there!

29-Sep-18
Sorry about the retaliation comment I made in my earlier post I’m just so pissed guys I was screaming at the dude unreal dude was shooting at movement thank god the lord was on our side today he was maybe at most 20 yrds in climber from our man made ground blind that has man made store bought blind material on it. I’m still in shock worst part of it is it’s my now 11 yr olds birthday today and he wanted to come with us this morning and his mother made him stay home to sleep in cause of his bday party this afternoon he would have been right behind my 14 yr old cause I keep them close.

29-Sep-18
Glad you guys are ok.

29-Sep-18
Unfortunately pat I did not grab the arrow when I got back after dropping my son off guy was gone . It’s my fault for not getting the proof I needed at the time last thing on my mind was grab the arrow just wanted my son out of there. Nothing will end up happening because it becomes my word vs his. I should have stayed there but I didn’t mad at myself for it

29-Sep-18
Glad to hear you and your son Are OK steve

29-Sep-18
"2000s Chevy Silverado 1500 mass plates 24kj32 "

Got it! I'll paste it on tape on my pack strap and watch for him. Also, I was thinking of this yesterday when I parked my truck to take a hike with my wife on a fitness trail. That is, I always carry a camera, and should photograph the vehicles parked nearby. If I find a problem when I return to my truck, I may have captured some leads that catch a creep. Life among ungodly sinners.

29-Sep-18
Glad to hear you guys are ok. Unfortunately there are many asshats in the Woods. And just as unfortunate nothing will ever come of it because it really is he said he said situation. As we see on tv right now things get all muddled up in our justice system

29-Sep-18
Glad you are both ok. Unreal

29-Sep-18
Glad you are both okay. Scary stuff right there. I hunt mainly state forest and always have flashlight on, even when there is enough light in the early mornings and late afternoon. We can only hope this person learned a valuable lesson this morning and is a wake up call. Maybe a talk with a WCO can do some good. Again glad the outcome wasn’t worse.

29-Sep-18
You can still find where the arrow struck and show the spot to the police. Should have told the local cops too rather than just DEEP.

29-Sep-18
Pat exactly what was said I understand where the co was coming from he said she said. Thanks for the responses guys I just want everyone to be safe and if they see that truck be aware of it. As of now my kid has said he will not go back in the woods unless we can get permission on private land somewhere where he knows it’ll be safer. Gonna leave it alone for a couple days and hopefully can get him back out to get over the fear just not looking good right now . Everyone knows how hard it is to get private and up here NE corner it’s real tough so maybe I’ll try and get some for next yr. just sucks all the way around right now

29-Sep-18
His truck plate number puts him there. Minors hold a lot of sway in the ears of a judge.

29-Sep-18
Make a report to the cops..If anything dude the cops will call him and he'll know he's being watched

29-Sep-18
Either light green or tan I’ve got a state cop on it now if for nothing else to make sure I’ve got plate number and truck correct he is gonna run this guys stuff and we will see where to go from there

29-Sep-18
Please give us an update if possible. I hunt in that area and could encounter that vehicle.

29-Sep-18
Glad you are ok. If that happened to my son I probably would have sent the arrow back along the path it came from. You know. To return it

30-Sep-18
Here’s what I’ve been told as of now the plates to this clowns truck have come back as expired registration on truck. He was not caught in ct technically doing anything so can’t do much.they can contact mass state police and ask them to handle from there but I just Told officer nothing gonna come out of it at this point and he pretty much agreed. he is a bit ticked off because he is also a hunter asked me to keep my eyes open for his truck if anyone I know sees vehicle to let him know.I will watch for this jerk every time I head through the area which for me is daily on my way to work if I see him I will have authorities handle. Thanks guys for all ur support had a long talk with my son today and he agrees that the guy was just a poacher and we have both learned a serious lesson. I will never set foot in the woods without a light on again regardless of what I was taught and was trying to teach him. He has now agreed to head back in the woods again with me but first time back will be an afternoon hunt and flashlights on way out. But at least he is willing to head in again.

30-Sep-18
At least nobody was hurt and your boy's willing to go back in.that's a good thing!!!

30-Sep-18
Yeah V without a doubt took a couple long talks with him but he gets it

30-Sep-18
Great to hear that he's gonna go again

30-Sep-18
Glad to hear everyone is ok, glad he is going again, I live in southeast ct, a far drive for that jerk but I will keep an eye out for that truck

30-Sep-18
We usually hear and see great stories by solid ethical Hunter's on this site. This story is very disturbing seeing I am Dad trying to show my son the way of the ethical Hunter. This incident is great reminder that danger lurks in the woods. Especially on state land. Thoughts of running into a bear or pack of yotes crosses my mind when entering the woods in the dark but now the poacher in the stand is probably the most dangerous. I hope this idiot poacher realizes how close he came to altering the lives of many. I'm surprised that Warden service isn't all over this. I look at like a drive by shooting and witnesses got the plate of the vehicle. I hope this Jack Wagon gets what he deserves in the end.

30-Sep-18
I’m a Dad. Scares three flavors o’ crap outta me.

I’ll bet that guy is done hunting CT for the year.

Glad you didn’t take matters into your own hands, though. You did the right thing just by getting everybody out o’ there safely.

01-Oct-18
Post on the Massachusetts site and insta and facebook. I would go for public shaming if copscant do anything.

01-Oct-18
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this. Thank goodness your son is ok. I commend you for showing great restraint in front of your son.

If it will make your son feel more secure, wear a headlamp that has a strobe light.

01-Oct-18
Glad no one got hurt. I was always told by an old timer your never alone in the woods always carry a light deer don't walk around with a flashlight in there mouth. You should definitely put his information out on social media let him know he's being watched everywhere. He got lucky this time and thank God nobody got hurt but next time he won't be that lucky. We need to keep this scumbag out of the woods.

01-Oct-18
Wow - sorry about the close call, but glad it was a miss. Could've been a REAL bad situation.

I go into my private land spots without a light because I'm familiar with them.. but we HAVE had some trespasser/poacher activity in they past., so you have me rethinking going in with a light.

I hope they catch this guy

01-Oct-18
Thank god the guy missed - what an a**! I saw a truck up the road from a spot I hunt early last week, but didnt look to see the state on the plates. It was about a mile from the "center" of Union. Ill keep my eyes peeled.

02-Oct-18
Heartshot, I am very glad everyone was ok and happy that your son wants to go back out. I agree with Ridgehunter that the info should be posted on the MA forum and other social media venues.

02-Oct-18
Take the miss as a favor from the above and be thankful and watchful going forward. Lights ON, Kevlar orange vest, Kevlar leg chaps, standard army helmet, will be the norm in the future hunting in the woods.

02-Oct-18
Heartshot - you're a better man than me! I would have gotten on the phone and called 911 while standing out of range of this a - -hole,...making sure I had my lights on and yelling my conversation for all to hear.

I agree with Gene - I ALWAYS walk in and out with my light on. I don't care if I spook a deer or 10, a deer is not worth getting hurt or worse!! I the light goes off once I'm in my tree.

02-Oct-18
I didn't find a post on the Mass site, so I posted one today.

02-Oct-18
Wow!! Super scary, glad you or your so. Didn’t get hurt or worse. If you are worried about walking in with a flashlight and spooning game, i use a high powered green flashlight. It doesn’t spook deer and can be seen a long ways off.

02-Oct-18
So that's the secret for the success with you and your pops Dave..you guys are spooning with the game!!!...lol

02-Oct-18
NOTME I HAVE THE SAME LIGHT. LOL

02-Oct-18
Yikes. Scary stuff.

02-Oct-18
I used to play the "spooning" game, but after a few minutes something would always pop up and get in the way. No I just,........well, nothing actually.

02-Oct-18
Not that I’m defending anyone here, but let me preface a question...

OK, sunrise this morning was 6:50; a few days ago it would’ve been a few minutes earlier, wouldn’t it? Legal hours are 1/2 hour before, so 6:15 - 6:20.

OP says he started walking out to the stand at 6:07; how long a walk are we talking about? Maybe 10 minutes or so?

Point being.... I’m not sure that the idiot who took that shot actually did anything that they could be prosecuted for.

Not saying I think that’s how it oughtta be, but unfortunately I’m not sure that being a complete idiot has yet been outlawed, and a lot of people have died due to the actions of individuals who couldn’t be charged with anything.

Makes you wonder what it takes to be safe out there. You can use a light on your way in, but once you’re into a blind... WTH did that guy shoot at, anyway? Noise?

Somehow reminds me of the shows where everybody is decked out in Camo or Blaze orange or both... as they sit inside of a permanent box blind.

Does it matter what you’re wearing inside of a plywood box?

Maybe don’t turn your light off until you’re up a tree or it’s pretty decently light out.

02-Oct-18
Maybe the light gives them something to shoot at.

04-Oct-18
I had a Black Silverado with Mass plates in Bigelow last week. I drug out a little 5 pt at dark but the owner was still out in the woods so never got to chat with him, possibly the same guy. I didnt use a light getting out, certainly will from now on! Glad you folks are OK.

15-Oct-18
I am a dad as well and reading this story scares the hell out of me. Luckily I only hunt private (my farm and a buddies farm) so I should never encounter this type of situation, but had I been in your shoes I can't say I would have been as grounded as you were. That guy isn't a hunter, he's an a$$hat in a tree stand. I would have ripped him out of his stand so fast. I also would have called the police. If his truck isn't registered I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have a hunting license or tags either. I hope your son is okay!

• Sitka Gear