Huntmaster 09-Oct-18
Hoot 09-Oct-18
fishnride 09-Oct-18
Hoot 09-Oct-18
sticksender 10-Oct-18
fishnride 10-Oct-18
fishnride 06-Aug-19
02-Oct-18
So after 12 years of no luck drawing a mountain goat tag i got a call from the DOW yesterday that i never expected. "Are you interested in a special management hunt for Mountain Goat". Of course I am! I have always said that the year that I draw my Goat tag I would focus my entire year on scouting and planning and my fall on specifically Goat hunting. As it turns out the hunt starts tomorrow so instead of 5 months I have 24 hrs to prepare. I'm in good shape and work 2 on 4 off so I have some time to dedicate, but I cant wrap my head around the fact that I will be Goat hunting tomorrow!

02-Oct-18
Good luck!

02-Oct-18
Good luck! Did you have to burn points for that?

02-Oct-18
The CPW should provide you with the general area they want the goats removed from. I believe last year they were as far south as Buffalo Peaks.

02-Oct-18
I talked with the CPW guy about the general area that they have been seen in. I feel pretty good about being able to find them. I am more wondering about numbers and if people have seen any groups, or single animals and how many were in the groups. It’s an either sex tag so I’m hoping some Billy’s have made their way over there and I would expect that Billy’s would be solo or in small groups with no kids.

02-Oct-18
Typically you'll find billys in small groups or by themselves, but don't ignore large groups either. During my scouting in 2012 I saw several large groups of nannies and kids and there was a large billy in there too.

02-Oct-18
Hunted S12 this year first rifle beginning of September, there was some goats but all were single or 2 together no big groups. Congrats on getting the management tag, good luck getting one make sure you post pics if you get one! Pm me if you want

03-Oct-18
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Singles and small groups is definitely good news. Silenthunter, hope you had some luck in September. I’ll shoot you a pm.

03-Oct-18
Dang! I keep hoping for that call! Put in for just that potential! There are plenty of goats in 12/49. Should be pretty easy to find them. Good luck!

03-Oct-18
Why don't they want them there?

04-Oct-18
A friend saw some on Mt. Sherman last Sunday. I think that it is that unit.

04-Oct-18
ryanrc - My understanding is goats are much more aggressive than sheep and can push them out of an area. With the difficulties they have maintaining sheep populations they don't want goats to move into certain units.

04-Oct-18
Thanks.

04-Oct-18
Why not open it up as a goat unit?

Would provide more opportunities and draw down more points.

The current scheme allows a person to get a goat tag and kill a goat without affecting their points. Possibly getting another tag the following year. Kinda sux for the rest of the applicants.

Same should apply for leftover tags - take the points from the guys getting those tags - at least to the minimum number of points that it would have taken in the draw.

06-Oct-18

fishnride's embedded Photo
Well after a couple days of scouting and climbing up and down 13,000 ft peaks I was able to get a nice Billy with my bow. This has been a dream of mine and a long time coming. I hunted solo and hunted hard finally killing this billy at 13,825ft. He died in a terrible place and the pack out was interesting and dangerous to say the least. I’ve got some work to do but I’ll try to post the whole story soon.

06-Oct-18
Nice fricken job!!!

06-Oct-18
Wow a bow kill on the colorado page! Way to go. Beauty!

06-Oct-18
Dang, that was quick! Nice work!!

06-Oct-18
Congratulations fishnride on a well earned Billy!

Nice to see a bow kill!

06-Oct-18
Congratulations! Way to make the most of that tag!

Bomber billy, too!

07-Oct-18
Badass. Love it, congrats!

07-Oct-18
Congrats! Gotta love those long haired October goats.

07-Oct-18
Congrats! That was quick! Awesome Billy! Can not wait to hear your story.

07-Oct-18
Way to go! Congratulations!

07-Oct-18
Nicely done Keith. A late season goat with a great set of horns and good cape is surely a prize. Nose bleed altitude for sure. I see the Billy did some bleeding my best, Paul

07-Oct-18

Thanks everyone. It is a true trophy for me that I’m super proud of. We very unofficially scored him at 47” so should make Pope and Young for sure which is a bonus. I do feel kinda guilty about getting that tag, but I was next on the list to draw and I guess I just got lucky. And who would say no to an opportunity like that? They actually want 4 more goats out of that area so when I killed this Billy I made someone else’s day cause they got the call that I got. There will be 2 others getting phone calls if they can get it done so keep your fingers crossed.

08-Oct-18
For sure!

08-Oct-18
Awesome job. Great trophy and even better memories.

09-Oct-18
Awesome! congrats!

09-Oct-18
Nice billy and nice work!

In order to be eligible to you have to put in for the adjacent unit?

Do they take your points and since you were successful are you in the 5 year wait period before you can apply again?

09-Oct-18
Apparently for all special game management hunts there is no wait and you keep your points. I don’t really agree with that, but that’s how it is. I did apply for an adjacent unit but I’m not sure if that’s a requirement. Very few goats, I only saw 2, but I’m not quite sure why they don’t just create a goat unit there with a “managed for low population” thing like unit 17 and others.

09-Oct-18
That’s awesome! Congrats again!

10-Oct-18
That's a beautiful Billy....congrats on your success in making the best of a golden opportunity.

How long were the horns?

10-Oct-18
Thanks sticksender. Horns were 8 6/8” and 8 4/8”. Base’s were 5 3/8” on both sides. Not bad for a Billy aged by the CPW at 3.5 yrs. best part is he only tumbled 6 times and didn’t break anything.

06-Aug-19
Hey guys. I kinda left the story untold here in the CO forum. I posted the whole story with some other pics on the main Big Game forum. Good luck to everyone who gets to chase these magnificent animals in our great state this year!

• Sitka Gear