Mathews Inc.
Mountain Biking on PA State Game Lands??
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
DanWesson357 03-Oct-18
Rut Nut 04-Oct-18
DanWesson357 04-Oct-18
Phil Magistro 04-Oct-18
Jeff Durnell 04-Oct-18
RC 04-Oct-18
Jeff Durnell 04-Oct-18
RC 04-Oct-18
1829 09-Oct-18
RC 10-Oct-18
03-Oct-18
Am I allowed to use a mountain bike to access hunting stands on State Game Lands? Am I allowed to use a Mountain Bike to scout while on State Game Lands? Does anyone know where I could find information about Mountain Biking while hunting public land in PA?

04-Oct-18

Rut Nut's Link
Dan, click this link then scroll down to DESIGNATED ROUTES FOR HORSES AND BICYCLES

Actually, I guess that is for NON-hunters. I can't find anything else, but I seem to remember that bikes are allowed on any of the closed (gravel)roads or 2-track fire roads. Just not allowed on any of the narrow hiking trails.

04-Oct-18
Thanks found it!!

(c) Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:

(5) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal from the last Saturday in September until the third Saturday in January, and before 1 p.m. from the second Saturday in April through the last Saturday in May inclusive, except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing

(6) Ride a nonmotorized vehicle, conveyance or animal on roads open to foot travel only.

04-Oct-18
So according to that it's OK to ride a bike anywhere while hunting except designated foot trails.

Cannot tell you how many times I had non-hunting bikers ride past while I was hunting.

04-Oct-18
No Phil, that's not how I understand it. I read it as 'it is unlawful to: Ride a bike, horse, etc... from the last Saturday in Sep through the third Saturday in Jan(hunting season)... and before 1pm, roughly during turkey season.' .... except on Sundays... i.e. when hunting is NOT allowed. In other words, you can't ride bikes, horses, and such on the game lands when folks are out there hunting. Kinda makes sense. Odd, I know :^)

04-Oct-18
Except on Sundays or while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing.

04-Oct-18
Ahhh, the ol' PGC... clear as kicked mud. Why change now? ...when confusion creates criminals.

04-Oct-18
Check your phone message.

09-Oct-18
Okay, so what about State Forest roads?

10-Oct-18
If you are hunting or fishing, yes.

• Sitka Gear