BullSac 11-Oct-18
wyobullshooter 11-Oct-18
BullSac 12-Oct-18
Bowboy 14-Oct-18
BullSac 14-Oct-18
wytex 15-Oct-18
IndianaMetz 03-Dec-18
08-Oct-18
Hello all, going to have 10 deer points going in to next year. I’ve spent the last several years just focusing on elk, but need to use these points soon. Any advice on which region? I think G is the obvious place to focus, but I’m not all that interested in hiring a guide, and I dont have horses.

I’ve also thought of taking a friend of mine who has never hunted out west and splitting the deer points, in conjunction with General elk tags, and doing a rifle hunt if I could find an area where the seasons overlap. Thanks in advance on any ideas.

Keven

09-Oct-18
You might look into the areas west side of Snowy Range for deer and the range for general elk. Seasons will not overlap too much though, hunt deer first then elk would work.

11-Oct-18
The tentative plan is to bow hunt elk as usual from the 15th to 30th (normally areas 13 or 21). Then find a good deer area that starts October 1st (rifle). If I tag out on elk early, I’ll bow hunt the deer tag in the meantime if allowed. I wish I wouldn’t have waited so long, since 10 points is slightly excessive I feel for deer. Not interested in a guide so the search continues for a good DIY area for the points I have. Thanks WyTex.

Keven

11-Oct-18
If I were looking to hunt deer, I’d look somewhere besides the west side of the Snowies, regardless of points...unless you get access to private in the Saratoga Valley. If you’re talking public land, good luck.

12-Oct-18
Wyo, I agree. I’ve been hunting elk area 21 since 1998 and know it really well. In all that time, i’ve seen a dozen or less bucks that I would consider shooting. I know there are some really nice deer around, just not on the public grounds that I know.

14-Oct-18
Deer hunting In WY is tough the herds overall aren't doing real well state wide. Region "G" would be my recommendation. You won't need a guide. This will only be good for you since you most likely don't have enough points for two tags. Also don't overlook the desert south of Rock Springs and Rawlins. Some good bucks come this area.

Also another option is area 81. There are some decent bucks if you know where to look. They only issue 200 tags total.

14-Oct-18
Craig, much appreciated advice! The good news about me is that I’m more concerned with a safe trip there and back, some good food and scenery, and a cooler full of meat for the ride back. I could shoot a 200” deer, or a 140” deer, and my smile would be just the same. It’s always been about the experience, more than the result, for me.

15-Oct-18
Well I have seen some of the deer coming out of one of the LQ areas on the NF, big bucks by anyone's standards. It is somewhat weather dependent if they move down out of the wilderness.

03-Dec-18
Have you looked into unit 10 for deer I hunted it last year we shot the first bucks we saw opening day and we should have held off for something a little bit bigger

• Sitka Gear