wv_bowhunter 22-Oct-18
Zim 22-Oct-18
Linecutter 22-Oct-18
longbeard 23-Oct-18
Zbone 24-Oct-18
Jim in Ohio 24-Oct-18
Zim 24-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
ok,my ohio bowhunters association membership number is #1035.been around awhile.was a member of lonesome pole cats in grove city.now gone.old apache bowhunters on grassel road outside of darbydale..now moved to lockbourne.used to be a club on clime road.think it was golden eagles.bowshop on sullivant ave called bowhunters paradice.don hofius run it.then moved to park street in grove city and dave dean run it.we used to get doe tags so gun hunters couldnt get them.man good times hanging out there.yea some oba members ramblings,but lets get this site rolling like it once was .

17-Oct-18
wait for it, wait for it...…….too bad, cool site once upon a time.

17-Oct-18
I think we can put a spark back in this site. I’m sure a lot of you guys click on here just to see what’s said but don’t respond. I’ve only been a casual respondent in the past but enjoy local news. A good portion of my hunting aqaintances no longer are around or have quit hunting. I still can’t get enough of it. I just got in this evening from the woods and can’t wait to get back. Just rambling. Good hunting.

22-Oct-18
Been on this site for years but now too old with a heart problem so no longer bow hunt. Will gun hunt on my property from a tree stand my son in law fixed for me. Also will take out a grandson during youth gun season. I think like me many of the guys on this site are too old or have died. Seems like the younger guys don't get on this site.

22-Oct-18
I've been trying to get things going here as well...just not like it used to be. I'd love to see more trail cam pics, kill pics, stories, etc...

22-Oct-18
Whatever happened to coonskinner? I used to enjoy coming over to read his annual thread about their hunt on the Wayne National Forest. A lot of guys gave him a hard time about it if I recall...

22-Oct-18

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
I shot a doe last weekend, I’ll try and write up the whole story (understanding it’s just a doe). Looking forward to getting back in the stand soon, the rut is fast approaching gents!

22-Oct-18
Zim anyone in their right mind, who bow hunts, does not down grade a mature doe. They are the ones who teach the fawns, getting one with a bow is always a challenge. Especially if you are trying to get a particular one. No different than hunting a particular mature buck. I take that back mature doe is harder, they don't get stupid with only one thing on their mind as a buck does this time of year. DANNY

23-Oct-18
Jim in Ohio good to see your still around. I used to love looking at all your trail cam pics. You still running cameras?

24-Oct-18
Posting pictures of xguns will liven up the site...8^)

24-Oct-18
Yes I am still running trail cameras but only on my 10 acre woods in Darke county. Deer are much scarcer. I only got a photo of one buck and two does in the four weeks the two cameras have been out.

24-Oct-18

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
On Saturday, the 13th, I was able to sneak down to my family’s place in Ohio and finally spend some time in the stand. I had hung 4 stands the first week of October so I was eager to get back out there as a cold front hit the Midwest just in time for the weekend. I drove down from Chicago and arrived late Friday night, snagging a little bit of sleep before I was able to climb into a tree the next morning. I had hung one of my stands in a narrow sliver of timber running north-south, making it a good spot for a wind out of the west. The setup would have been bad medicine if a buck came through but unfortunately I didn’t see anything moving that morning and made the decision to slip out around 10am. I grabbed some lunch and checked the forecast which was showing partly cloudy with a nice, steady wind out of the west for the remainder of the day. My mind was stuck on trying to catch some of the bucks I got on camera that were still on their pre-rut patterns. I had hung a stand near the trail camera that got a picture of the fella shown here, which was in a block of timber that covered roughly 40 acres in the middle of a section surrounded by corn on all sides. My trail cam pics suggested the bucks were bedding in here all summer as I had a number of good day light pics of them cruising a trail heading east to the field edge. My stand was hung ~40 yards in from the north east corner of this block of timber, allowing me quiet access from the field and a view of both the north and east edges. After I grabbed my lunch and checked all my trail cameras I had up, I met my family in the field as they were harvesting corn that day. I hopped in the semi-truck and caught up with my cousin as we took a load back to the grain bins, quietly enjoying being around the truck, tractor and combine as they went through their fall harvest routines. Consequently, I ended up talking for too long and didn’t get around to getting situated back in the field in my evening stand until around 5:30pm. Legal shooting hours ended at roughly 7:15pm so I knew I was cutting it close but I was determined to try and make it work. I snuck in, pulled my Hoyt up and got settled in my stand just in time to spot a doe looking at me from 120 yards to the west. She had caught some of my movement and was semi alerted so I stood stock-still for roughly 10 minutes as she returned to a more calm state. She slowly went back to feeding and was making her way towards me along a well worn game trail that ran by my stand, browsing nearly the entire time. She eventually swung south and I lost sight of her through the vegetation as the woods were still fairly green this time of year. Fast forward 20 minutes and I caught movement directly to the north of me…here is this same young doe feeding towards the field edge unaware of my presence. She must have slowly swung back north-east and I didn’t catch her till she was behind me. Given she was directly to my north and the wind was out of the west I knew my scent cone was blowing parallel to her, allowing me to slowly bide my time and wait till I had a clear shooting lane. After a few minutes I saw her nearing an open lane with her head down feeding and I was able to slowly draw my bow unnoticed. As she took another step I had a great broadside angle at about 15-20 yards so I centered my peep and placed my 20 yd pin behind her right shoulder, making a good release. I was shooting a 530 grain black eagle spartan arrow with an ironwill solid broadhead and it blew through her without any perceivable slowing, sticking in the dirt. She jumped and sprinted in a tight circle turning 180 degrees as she attempted to run back to the center of the section of timber. She made it 50 yards before she slammed into a tree and consequently knocked down a piece of deadfall leaning against the same tree trunk. She made a loud thud as she slammed into the tree herself and then caused another thunderous crash as the deadfall fell to the ground. It was a hell of a ruckus for such a young doe to make and I couldn’t help but let out a quick chuckle! I was happy as it was a quick, clean kill and she didn’t seem to move after she hit the tree. I tagged her and drug her into the field to a drainage ditch where I was able to bring the side by side in to pick her up after dark. I dropped her off at the butcher the following day and he was able to make some excellent cheese and pepper summer sausage that I shared with friends this past weekend, paired with some Blanton's bourbon. She was a young, small doe that made excellent table fare as all of my friends complimented how good the sausage turned out. While I didn’t see any of the bucks I had on camera it was an awesome hunt and I really enjoyed sharing some of the meat with my friends. I can’t wait to get back out there again for the peak of the rut, the week of November 7th is one of my favorite times of the year here in the Midwest. I wish everyone going out this November a successful hunt, filled with adventure. Cheers!

• Sitka Gear