goelk 19-Oct-18
kscowboy 19-Oct-18
Elk Assassin 20-Oct-18
Wapitichaser 24-Oct-18
Longcruise 24-Oct-18
Jaquomo 24-Oct-18
goelk 25-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
I know this is a hunting forum but I just want to ask if any of you know some good snagging spots for kokanee. I have never fished for kokanee and this year is going to be my first. Thanks in advanced.

10-Oct-18
blue mesa and granby have lots of them, not sure about snagging in either

11-Oct-18
Green Mountain reservoir and Eleven Mile (although Eleven Mile isnt what it used to be, they are still big). If you fly fish you should try the rivers upstream. They hit flies during the spawn and other big fish follow them up to eat the eggs. I've caught some great lakers along dams when kokes are spawning by hanging egg flies under an indicator, and the kokes hit them too.

11-Oct-18

Treeline's embedded Photo
Treeline's embedded Photo
Fun on fly rod for sure! This was Vallicito. There used to be some in Dillon as well. You could check CPWs web page to see where all they have them now.

11-Oct-18
If you catch them in the Dream Stream above 11 mile it is still catch and release.

12-Oct-18
I thought you were talking about the Canadian beer, you know that stuffs like moonshine!!!

16-Oct-18
Thanks!

17-Oct-18
Delicious beer!

18-Oct-18
If you are gung-ho on catching a kokanee, I would get a fly rod and try it next year at Almont where they make the turn up the East River from the Gunnison. Early September is the best time to do this and if you are in with a fly shop or two, they'll let you know it's time to head over because the salmon are there. There is plenty of camping in the area if you wanted to go cheap on the trip. It's catch & release but still cool. Once you catch one on the fly, you'll realize is a lot more fun than snagging (which is illegal in some waters).

19-Oct-18
What kind of flies and sizes kscowboy

19-Oct-18

kscowboy's embedded Photo
Caught the male on a pegged egg pattern (wasn't targeting them).

The hen on the streamer (once I realized there were salmon in the hole).

And the 20" bow on a Glowball (tandem set-up with streamer).

I fished the egg and the streamer tandem. It didn't put that bow down, as some would expect. The bow was obviously stacked in there trying to eat eggs.

It's always best to stop-in the local shop and see what they've been hearing when it comes to flies. I was hunting 1st season elk and just happened to stumble upon a pod while taking a mid-day break. Private water. I luckily had a couple of flashy streamers that were big enough to get some attention.

Funny when you think you are going after browns getting ready to spawn and get into something totally different.

20-Oct-18

Elk Assassin's embedded Photo
Elk Assassin's embedded Photo
A perfect place for a shameless promotion of the fly fishing guidebook, "Fly Fishing the Gunnison Country."

24-Oct-18

Wapitichaser's Link
If anyone is looking for something local to the Front Range, Gross Reservoir (west of Boulder) has a decent Kokanee population and a fall run (inlet side). HUGE Tiger Muskies too!

24-Oct-18
Hmmmm gross is not that far. Maybe an evening run.

24-Oct-18
Looks like they only stocked them in 2017-2018. Don't they spawn and die when they are three years old?

25-Oct-18
Thanks kscowboy! Nice rainbow! I will have to check out Gross.

• Sitka Gear