Rut Nut 07-Nov-18
pa10point 07-Nov-18
Rut Nut 07-Nov-18
Rut Nut 08-Nov-18
LostNwoods 09-Nov-18
11-Oct-18
Any thing happened in 5D??

11-Oct-18
I have taken 2 adult does. No shooter bucks yet, but lots of 1 1/2 old bucks running all over the place.

15-Oct-18
Where do you guys hunt in 5D? I’ve been to Ridley Creek several times and have yet to see any action.

15-Oct-18
1 coyote.

16-Oct-18
Hey Ryan. I hunt Bucks county, and lower Montgomery county. Deer have disappeared the last few days.

16-Oct-18
Tonite I saw my first good buck action. 2 fights, 1/2 dozen scrapes worked, and over 2 hours of non stop action. It’s starting to happen.

17-Oct-18
Been an up and down start to the season for me. Some with decent action and some that you wonder if there are any deer in lower Bucks. They just disappear. Agree with Brian thou. Last night was best sit of season so far. Followed that up with trip to woods this morning and it’s dead so far. Conditions couldn’t be better.

17-Oct-18
Slow start to the season for 5D... Hot, humid and hot. Not much moving till dark.

17-Oct-18
I am in Lower Bucks Co. been pretty slow hopefully this cold snap gets them moving

18-Oct-18
Hit the woods again last night. Saw 2 bucks. One working a scrape that was worked the prior night. I agree with Dave in that the mornings have been slower than afternoons, but the buck activity is starting between 4-5 in the afternoon. I’m planning an all day sit on Saturday as it appears deer activity is good mid morning to early afternoon. Good luck, shoot straight.

18-Oct-18
Hitting the lot hopefully tomorrow afternoon and potentially Saturday morning. Hoping to see some action (if not something in range!)... Found location on public land that has some good signs... Scrapes, droppings, etc... My question is whether or not I should use some estrus or other scents with drag rag to tree Im going to climb. I have not had much luck past seasons and I am wondering what is the consensus?

19-Oct-18
Ryan. I’ll throw my 2 cents in. Not a huge user of scents, however there are times where I have used them and had success. Drag rags have never worked for me, but making my own mock scrapes and using deer urine (I have had success with Kirschners Silvertop) have worked. This is a good time to try that. I really believe you could make the scrape with no scent, which I have done, and attract deer. I’m sure others have had success with other methods, but this is what has worked for me. Good luck, shoot straight.

27-Oct-18
Based on a lot of what I read... I shouldn’t bother going into the woods when there is a storm like today. Do others agree? Or is it worth spending the time if I can tough it out since my time is limited to Saturdays mostly?

27-Oct-18
Ryan. Deer were everywhere this morning. I saw bucks chasing does between 7:45-9:30. Sat from 1:30 til dark. Only saw a doe. My hunting partner. Bill V, saw 3 bucks and a doe, and we aren’t that far apart. I shot one of my best bucks on a day like today, he was out freshening scrapes, during the rain.

29-Oct-18
Ram, I sat from 2 on Sat... You did not miss anything...

29-Oct-18
Also, it is green, no sign of fall yet, and we are going to be touching 70 again this week, sorry fellas I just do not see the sign guys up North are seeing... Rut? Yeah, when fall actually starts... I put some serious hours in on stand in 2 great spots, just aint seeing it. Moving after dark, yup, moving 3 in the morning, yup.. But daylight. Might as well be August with how thick and green it is..

31-Oct-18
Best morning so far for me. No shots but plenty of action all around.

31-Oct-18
Yea, I haven't seen a good rut since they shot all of the does in the 2 weeks of slaughter in the rifle season, seen 12 deer so far this archery season. Looks like best days mite be Thursday frI and Sat the last couple days of archery cold front coming thru .

31-Oct-18

31-Oct-18
I'm in 1 a , and hunt 2b , lawrence and beaver county. Sorry did not see the 5d post. But I'm not seeing much either.

31-Oct-18
And game commission what's to know why they are losing hunters, when I started archery hunting I would see 15 to 20 deer before 12 noon , and that was the early season. Kids don't want to sit in woods and see nothing.

01-Nov-18
oh boy......

01-Nov-18
After hunting 47 years and always blaming myself for not hunting good or hard enough when i wasn't seeing deer, i finally have the answer. It's the game commissions fault. LOL

01-Nov-18
Back in same stand this morning. Much warmer temps then the 39 yesterday. Had action with 11 doe. Bucks vanished. Back in another spot this evening. Still very warm and nothing yet. This time of year I hunt every opportunity I get regardless of weather conditions.

01-Nov-18
Pa 10 point where you hunt in pa ? Come over to 1a you can have 20 sits and maby see a handful of deer if your lucky, I hunt hard, not being cocky just telling the truth. And it's every bowhunter around the area saying same thing.

01-Nov-18
Went out this evening.. finally saw live deer! Tons of road kill to and from work though... that won’t draw young hunters in either by no fault of the GC. Hoping to get some more time in on Saturday.

02-Nov-18
It's "ON" in 5D. Saw 7 bucks in Bucks County yesterday morning, only one shooter, & two of them I rattled up. Had a close encounter with a giant in the afternoon at my house in Montgomery County. He was bedded in my next door neighbors property and I watched him for a little over 3 hours before he got up and moved right past one of my other stands...I chose the wrong stand. The dance continues.

02-Nov-18
Bowhunter s i hunt 2a and 1a and there are plenty of deer even with farms i hunt getting slammed with ehd last year. I think every hunter goes through times where they aren't seeing deer, and wondering if they even have a clue what they are doing. Cant count the number of times over the years i have felt the same way. Then other years i think i could sit in walmart parking lot and see deer. In the end it's almost always just me not being good enough with what i'm doing. Keep at it, the best ones are the ones you have to work the hardest for. Good luck with the rest of your season.

02-Nov-18
That's some funny stuff right there.. "it's on"? I watched 3 bucks grooming each other on Wed night for over an hour in the same spot. And 4 doe walked right by them and they ignored them. It's on, where?

02-Nov-18
Pa 10 point , good luck too you too, yea just getting burned out , hopefully this last week they turn on , hopefully it gets a little cold out.kicked up a buck last night in the rain heading to ground blind , wasn't goin to use my climber in that weather.

02-Nov-18
John, I've watched three battles this week, not sparring but battles, one in my yard.

02-Nov-18
Lot's of Action Tuesday grunted a Big 8 off of a few does he was pushing around He got behind me 5 feet from my tree, could not get a clean shot he bolted after a doe. Watched him chase does for 1 hour in a soybean field. Last night too hot went back after him anyway . A nice 6 was chasing along with spikes & forkers. Doe are not ready but I think they are close. Get into a tree next 5 days!! Couple of friends killed some nice one's on Monday. Good luck! Be Safe, wear your safety belt!

03-Nov-18
Saw a nice buck this morning no shots. Found about 3 pounds of Oyster Mushrooms that were perfect to pick, and I did.

04-Nov-18
Lots of deer moving around in southern part of 5D... exciting times ahead!!! Looking forward to next saturday.

04-Nov-18
Man I'm off for two weeks starting tomorrow and the weather just stinks. Anyone else off and hunting in the rain Mon and Tue? I'm in decided if I should go out in it. I have to hunt from and elevated stand in a Park with county. Those are the rules. I can't decide what to do.

05-Nov-18
Did go out. Had some breaks here and there. No big boys. Still just dinks 1.5-2.5 chasing. We have not seen a shorter in over three weeks.

Rut Gods let's get this party started already!

06-Nov-18
Hey Folks! I am in quite a predicament... my limb bracket just had piece break loose tonight and now it’s not safe to shoot... still want to finish out season but really don’t know how repair process will work out and timing to readjust my setup. Has this happened to anyone here? I wanted to buy new bow but not until next year and that feels like even worse to start all over mid season with only few prime weeks left. Any advice? Bow is PSE Bow Madness 2009.

07-Nov-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Pa10point- you are SO right! ;-)

07-Nov-18
Rut Nut,I never actually tried the walmart guess i have been missing out on a good spot. lol

07-Nov-18
Apparently so! LOL! : )

08-Nov-18
Hey Ryan- sorry to hear of your predicament! Sorry, can't help you. I've only hunted with 2 compound bows in my life and never had anything break/malfunction. I would take it to the nearest pro-shop and see what they can do for you. I had a friend crack one of his limbs on his crossbow earlier in the season and even though it was under warranty he expected to be "down" waiting for it to be repaired. He was pleasantly surprised when the pro shop happened to have the replacement limb in stock. He got it fixed that day and did not miss any hunting.

09-Nov-18

LostNwoods's embedded Photo
Well finally got it done. This buck was on our hit list. Last night I saw him hiding out in a thicket tending a doe and came out 4:45pm in cut bean field with his girl. This morning I took a stand 75 yards lower from wher he entered the field last night. Walking in this AM had a deer snort at me and ran off. I said damn! And continued to stand and got up. Upon trying to pull bow up and it was stuck on vines (WTH). So I climb down and freed up the bow and right back up. As soon as both feet got on stand a does snorts. I said really...so I grunted back and gave a light snort wheeze. About 10am I look over to my left about 75 yards and see bush moving and thinking birds. I looked through binos and bam there he is. Eventually his doe walks off and he is right on her tail. She made it to me and passed broad side at 32 yards. I waited and when he hit the spot I let the arrow lose. The shot felt weird heard a load thud...he went to the right and then walked slowly back to where he was raking the bush with his antlers earlier. I saw blood gushing out from his neck on the front. No blood on his broadside. So I sat there and rehearsed everything and It dawned on me as I stared at my arm. I wore an oversized jacket this morning and the sleeves were puffy. Amazing how the little things we bowhunters sometimes forget could lead to disappointments. I thought could the string have hit my sleeve and caused arrow to veer off. When things settled down I was able to watch the doe starring at what I assumed was the buck I shot at. He must have laid down cause I lost sight of him. A 7 point came in and tried to mount his doe and I didn't see him get up and react like he should be. She ran off with 7 point behind. 15 min later he walked out both front legs had blood on them and the wound was pretty large. He walked off and out of sight. I thought ok he will make it. I finally get down retrieved arrow no blood on it and buried in the ground. I know many don't like Rages but I was shooting a rage hypo 2". I couldn't believe how much blood I found so I stayed on the trail. Found him close to 450 yards away He crossed a large bean field and expired in the thickest stuff possible. About 30 yards away from him I kicked out a doe and then found him. The windpipe was not cut that we could see. Must have hit artery and he bled out. It's been a very rough and tough season. Hang in there for those that didn't fill your deer tag. Be safe and best of luck!

• Sitka Gear