hawkeye in PA 17-Oct-18
Mad Trapper 17-Oct-18
DanWesson357 17-Oct-18
DaleHajas 17-Oct-18
DanWesson357 18-Oct-18
DaleHajas 18-Oct-18
DanWesson357 19-Oct-18
11-Oct-18
As we scouted for deer on sunday, near Hidden Valley Ski resort, we drove past the trail head parkng lot with approx 30 vehicles mostly with horses, but mountain bikers, and hikers. We parked our hunting sticker loaded pickup along the pull off made for such a venture.

Upon exiting the woods we discovered a park ranger awaiting our arrival at the truck. A nice young feller, the officer knew we were hunters when he saw the stickers. But he still had to check us out. Seems they were summoned by cell phone about our suspicious looking vehicle parked along the road. So someone from the group called the rangers.... You think they will be happy about shutting down these areas where they have access, especially during autumn? Its reallly going to be interesting if SH gets passed.

Go check the Hunting Pa Closed group on FB and see just how hunters are responding to the Bucks county Gamelands tours for autumn leaves lol Also seems calling police on hunters isnt a new idea. 2nd time its happened to me with the first time the police officer coming right to the stand on private property. Seems alot more to be on the line now than I thought.....

11-Oct-18
Trade in that truck and get a Subaru Dale- then put some treehugger stickers on it- problem solved! ;-)

11-Oct-18
Nope. As soon as someone shoots, the rangers or police are going to be called. You wouldnt believe what happens in Monroeville- shotgun or ml and archery only. PGC doesnt bug you, but city police will make you walk them back to where the shot occurred.

11-Oct-18
That stinks Dale! Sounds like hunter harassment to me.

11-Oct-18
I ain't walking no LEO back to where I shot anything unless they're going to wear rubber boots to cover their scent...already did it.

11-Oct-18
Well Bob the police officer in Monroeville came to confront my brother in his treestand on father-in-laws private property, yup right down the middle... because a jogger on public ground saw him get up in his treestand. Of course my brother mentioned that the good officer most likely ruined his hunt for the day. The officer apologized and left.... The Way he came.

Same area a feller downs a doe with his shotgun. Doe Runs down powerline and dies on dirt road. Police pull up and threaten to conviscate deer unless proven it was shot on private ground, and NOT behind a posted area.

11-Oct-18
I would’ve called their bluff and told them they could have it as long as they gutted it and I didn’t have to use one of my tags. :-)

11-Oct-18
Lol it was an acquaintance of mine. He Shot the doe on his brothers acreage. The doe fell on a dirt road dead. The cops wanted proof of where the deer came from.

11-Oct-18

12-Oct-18
So, what are you trying to say?

12-Oct-18
Always wonder how it works in 47 or so states but PA somehow is different?

12-Oct-18
Yuppies and their sense of entitlement, for land they never paid for anyway.

12-Oct-18
Next time you encounter a pile of horse sh%# on a hiking trail, I would call the police and ask them investigate...possibly issue citations for the offending horse back riders. If I have to clean up after my dog, they should have to clean up after their horses. Unreal. See how they like being harassed, while enjoying their favorite hobby.

12-Oct-18
Please consider looking at the what action you can take to remove the prohibition on Sunday Hunting. In addition to allowing us to pursue our passion on Sundays there are MUCH bigger issues, such as reversing or slowing the decreasing number of hunters. Sunday hunting will allow more youth to have time to hunt and get introduced to hunting therefore hopefully becoming lifelong hunters...you can see how important it is to have the public on our side and the more we get on our side the better. The more license sales the more conservation money. Please contact your State Senators and ask them to support PA Senate Bill 1202. Please consider supporting HUSH and reading the links I placed.

12-Oct-18
Does HUSH actually still exist? They filed the suit got spanked, and faded off into the shadows. Many times trying to contact them went unanswered. I am all for the repeal of the illegal blue laws but we (I) hear very little from them. If they answered emails maybe?

12-Oct-18
Just had a meeting Sept 30 didn't they?

12-Oct-18

DanWesson357's Link
https://www.facebook.com/events/2142174669355651/

HUSH

12-Oct-18
No face book... not everyone loves social media..

12-Oct-18
Dan all Im saying is that there are groups that maybe fighting like hell, harder than hunters, Beside the Farm Bureau to keep hunters home on sundays. Ive met hundreds if not thousands of hunters over my many years of volunteerism and I cant say Ive met one that would pull crap like calling the rangers or the police etc...on unsuspecting people that are in line with the law. I now know of 2 seperate instances of folks legally hunting that had police or wardens called on them to be investigated after shooting deer. Hell we werent even hunting, it was a sunday and the park rangers were still called....

13-Oct-18
In today’s world, the world of Liberalism, it should be expected. There are always a nut or 2 running around.

By the way Dale, my sister lives in Irwin and on occasion, I’ll do some bow hunting near and around her home. I have never had a problem, and I’ve killed a few really good bucks there.

Perseverance is the answer here. Fight the good fight. We just can’t let the bastards win.

13-Oct-18
Hayl youre close to Paintertown! Look for the pink kubota!

13-Oct-18
DaleHajas...I am certainly in agreement with you. For decades, hunters have just quietly gone about their conservation minded hunting enjoyment without publicising the positive aspect of what hunting does and how everyone benefits from hunting. I find that hunters for the most part are humble types. The ANti-HUnters have employed EVERY type of anti-hunting publicity over the years and it is having an effect. I think it is time for hunters to understand that in addition to all of the wonderful benefits that hunters engage in and for decades did so without publicising or drawing attention to themselves, those days are over. Social Media can certainly suck and cause brain damage but it also is the most effective way to send out a message and publicise. I think it is important for hunters to start tooting their own horn, and constantly talk about the money spent on hunting licenses that support conservation and habitat restoration. Hunters should constantly post when they are donating venison to help feed the hungry. I think this will go against the natural humble attitudes that most hunters have...but we have to combat the bad publicity of the anti-hunters and let the non-hunting world know of the good we do that benefits everyone who enjoys the outdoors. I'm sure it is not for everyone...but I am willing to spend some of my time making sure that hunting is depicted in the very positive light that it deserves.

13-Oct-18
well i'll state my opinion on this though many might not agree. I just don't buy this whole premise of Sunday hunting is going to turn license sales around and basically fix all this wrong with declining sales. I just don't buy it. Oh, there will be some people maybe that will buy license that maybe otherwise wouldn't but I don't buy the notion that there is going to be this major increase in sales. To me, the issue with declining license sales is because of hunting areas being lost and just young kids not being interested in it. Sunday hunting is not going to fix that, it just isn't. Its happening all around me, farms getting sold to developers and people losing hunting ground due to leases and posting. And I think we all know how technology is basically taking over the young ones. When I was a kid, we didn't have all this stuff and we understood how hunting was. We were thrilled to see a deer. Not so today. Kids are not going to be interested in sitting for hours on end in the cold on a state game lands with no action. I have kids and I know what I'm talking about. the best thing the PGC did for kids is the mentor program. in fact, I'm getting ready to take my 10 yr old out now. But allowing Sunday hunting is not going to fix loss of hunting land and kids not being interested. Sorry, I just don't buy it. You might not agree but that's my take.

13-Oct-18
Someone somewhere would like Sunday hunting.

13-Oct-18
Tim I was just thinking about you the other day, didnt know if you were still around. Alot of folks share that sentiment but I personally never took it as a recruiting tool but more of an opportunity for those that work 6 days. The distinct possibilty exists that it may not even include deer initially.... Could be only SGLS but no State Parks. Could be only private land and no state land at all. Could be only 5 sundays a year..... Imho - it may actually become a recruiting tool... Say by adding just small game only or how about hunting a species directly like canadian geese? How about grouse and squirrel or now that theres more $ for a pheasant stamp sunday ringneck?

Alot of versatility with less hunters....

13-Oct-18
dale, I understand your points and agree with you actually. My main point was that I just don't think the increase in license sales is going to be seen like is being argued. in my opinion, loss of hunting access is having a greater effect on license sales than no Sunday hunting is having.

14-Oct-18

DanWesson357's Link
Duvall,

There are many factors that are causing a decrease in license sales. Loss of hunter access is certainly one...lack of time to hunt is certainly one...the aging baby boom population is another...instant gratification culture is another...etc. There is not going to be a one single "silver bullet" answer that reverses the trend of decreased linces sales and decreasing number of hunters. BUT I do think the more opportunity to hunt, Especially on a Weekend, would likely increase the number of people willing to hunt and buy licenses and would increase hunter recruitment. Think about if you have to travel to Hunt in PA...is a non-hunter/new hunter going to drive 3-4 hours after work on Friday to Hunt ONLY Saturday? I know I would but we are talking the Non-Hunter/New Hunter. There are also economic benefits to places that still have plenty of Hunter Access. As hunter access to newly developed areas drys up, hunters need to find new places, that means travel. Some will decided not to make the effort if they ONLY get to hunt one day a weekend. If they could hunt Saturday and Sunday, maybe they would. Sunday Hunting would only impact those on this BOWSITE by allowing US to pursuit our passion one extra day a week if the PAGC would decide to do that if the Legislated Prohibition on Sunday HUnting was lifted. We are already hunters but to recruit NEW hunters, to Recruit NON-Hunters will take additional effort. I don't see inaction as an option. I love hunting and the outdoors and Conservation and Whitetail habitat and Penns Woods. I want to help preserve all of it for many generations after me. So I am doing my part, advocating for the Removal of the SUnday HUnting Prohibition, Volunteering as a Hunter Trapper Educator, Donating Venison to Help Feed the Hungry, buying DMAP tags and helping Framers with crop damage, Making pounds and pounds of Venison Jerky and sharing with my VERY URBAN High School students who are not exposed to hunting otherwise as a way to spark their interest with their taste buds. JUST ONE of those additional efforts would be to END the prohibition of Sunday Hunting in PA. As it stands, the PAGC is NOT allowed to make ANY changes to Sunday Hunting because it is a Legislated Prohibition. I understand the value of Delayed Gratification and I know it is going to be a long and difficult to implement change. But I believe the effort to remove the Prohibition on Sunday Hunting will be worth it. Please consider checking out the Thread I started called Sunday Hunting-Actions you can Take.

15-Oct-18
I'm with Duvall. They play baseball and soccer right down the street from me EVERY Sunday....all year long. Take those kids off the list. I think its more about "Dads" wanting to hunt Sundays. Mentored Youth Hunting was supposed to fix everything. Trust me....."Dads" love it. Crossbows were supposed to fix everything.....? Kids won't hunt unless they want to. Parents can't push the importance of sports all year and then tell the kids to not play come fall. There is no fix for recruitment. Media, teachers, schools, pop culture, social media and everything else goes against the sport and TV has made everyone think its as easy as pie shooting giant bucks. Give it up and let the deer rest for a day.

15-Oct-18
I agreed with huntinelk but looks like someone else did not?

Thinking the moderator is a democrat:)

15-Oct-18
Griz, It is not about the fact the Illegal blue laws exists that restrict our right to choose to hunt or not. We are simply asking for that restriction to be removed. If your against it, fine. Not everyone is against it and we feel it is illegal to restrict our right to hunt on Sunday due to an ancient illegal religion biased based blue law. And that last line is funny, I can't remember every single time I hear an anti SH argument blast a need for a day of rest for deer.

15-Oct-18
And a s aside note... I would bet all those against will be out there hunting if given the chance. After all, no one want to let some one else shoot their bucks simply because they "choose" to do something else... You betcha....

15-Oct-18
Griz said; "Give it up and let the deer rest for a day."

Got news for ya. Hunters are the last thing deer worry about on any given day. Hunters are far down the list of mortality causes. Deer never get a day of rest.

16-Oct-18
Yeah RC- looks like several posts went "POOF" yesterday. Guess they may have hit a little too close to home and ruffled some feathers! ;-)

16-Oct-18
I'd be interested in hearing what huntinelk had to say? If you're out there huntinelk, maybe you could re-post? Not sure why it was poofed, but maybe if it was written in a nicer way?

16-Oct-18
Evidently some Valiums or Midol is in order:)

16-Oct-18
I agree with everything that DanW. stated above. However, the issue of Sunday hunting is a private property right issue first and foremost. Why should some citizens (PA Farm Bureau) have any say on what other people can do on their property when the Farm Bureau has an easy remedy - signs that say No Sunday Hunting Permitted. Pure BS to me. It has to change. For those who don't want Sunday hunting, then don't hunt on Sunday. Pennsylvania needs to move into this century. It is really unbelievable that this can't pass. This state is really the laughing stock to the hunting community in the remainder of the US.

16-Oct-18
Starting to get salty in here....I like it! I am for Sunday hunting because yeah, it would be a great benefit to me on a personal level. I would get more hunting time in. I would also get more "chances" at getting my kids out hunting but with all the sports and activities they are currently in, it is still a crap shoot. I still buy their licenses and I retook the HTE with my daughter this year so she could get her first junior license. We still haven't gotten out yet with the x-gun and I have only made it out twice for 2 quick evening sits with my bow. But, once these fall travel soccer seasons end, time will free up just in time for the rut! I have my fingers crossed.

16-Oct-18
I've always supported Sunday hunting and I don't like that a group like the Farm Bureau has such a lock on the legislature but, by law, it isn't a private property issue. If you fence your property and stock the animals you can hunt whenever you choose. If you don't then you are hunting animals that are under the control of the state and the state gets to choose the seasons and limits.

16-Oct-18
For those in Favor of REMOVING the Legislative Prohibition on Sunday HUnting...There is a way. But it requires action. This point must be driven home. There is currently a Senate Bill in Committee...That bill has A LOT of Support, BUT at this time the Chairman of the Game and Fisheries Committee is Senator Patrick J. Stefano and he must be motivated to allow the Bill to move OUT of Committee and then presented to the General Assembly. At this Moment, ONE MAN- Senator Patrick J. Stefano is this reason this Bill is STILL in COMMITTEE. Stefano is influenced at the moment by the PA Farm Bureau. They influence him the most at this time. He is a Representative and needs to hear the voices of EVERY Person in PA who is in favor of the removal of the Prohibition on SUnday Hunting.

PLease look at the ACTIONS you Can Take thread that I posted if you want to actually take action to help the cause. All help is appreciated.

16-Oct-18
Phil: I agree that the animals are controlled by the state. But if the state biologists say that Sunday hunting will not adversely effect the resource, then I should be able to hunt the resource on my property on Sunday during the season. It IS a private property issue. There are ample easy remedies available for those that oppose Sunday hunting without effecting other's private property rights. If Sunday hunting is approved and the Game Commission determines that it is bad for the resource, then they don't have to approve hunting on that day and I am ok with it. But I have a problem with the Farm Bureau preventing me from hunting my property on Sunday. Maybe they can kick in and pay some of my property taxes???

16-Oct-18
I hope everyone realizes that at this point the PA GAME Commision is completely out of the equation when it comes to Sunday Hunting (Except Coyotes, Foxes and Crows) . Because it is a legislated Prohibition. The Game Commision is certainly in favor of Sunday Hunting but they can not do anything about it, because it is NOT in their power. That is why the Legislated Prohibition must first be removed and that is exactly what Senate Bill #1202 would do.

16-Oct-18
I’ve contacted Senator Pat Stefano’s Office, and did not receive a reply. Only one thing to do for those that his district represents, and that to vote him out of office. I am one of his constituents and will not be voting for him the next election. If you want Sunday hunting, do your part an vote him out of office!!!

16-Oct-18
Mad Trapper hopefully in the LEAST a law would be passed to ba able to hunt your own property. I can see this scenario.... No SH on state lands until late october. But maybe that saves the archery season from being shortened? Or SH to only include small game until november the all for rifle/winter ML season. Just thinkin...

16-Oct-18
Screw them farmers.

I'm gonna quit drinking milk for a month.

That will show em....

17-Oct-18
Dale, Tune that bow a little and then they won't hear it. And why not build them a friendly hot dog fire, they can't harass what they can't see;)

17-Oct-18
I agree with you Dale. I would not want SH to result in a shortened season. We would have won the battle and lost the war. Looking at the antlerless allocations this year, it would seem that the GC wants more deer to be harvested. I suspect that this trend will continue as CWD continues to spread through the Commonwealth and as hunter recruitment continues to decline. But who knows? Whether SH helps with hunter recruitment is debatable issue, but it should improve the harvest numbers even as the number of hunters continues to shrink.

17-Oct-18
As it stands...The Game Commission has NO SAY on Sunday Hunting. It is a legislated prohibition. If the prohibition was lifted then the Game Commission would be responsible for making decisions on Sunday Hunting. Until that first hurdle is crossed, the Game Commission has NO say on the issue. Lifting the Prohibition on Sunday Hunting would simply put the decision of Sunday Hunting in the Hands of the PA Game Commission where decisions would be made weighing a variety of Hunter Friendly factors. Which is certainly better than leaving it in the hands of Senators and Representatives.

17-Oct-18
As much as it sometimes inefficient, Id personally rather have our state representatives and senators handle our state owned public ground through the PGC than any Feds. When gov works easily in either state or fed sector.... Grab your ankles!

Here is a great example of our state reps being in touch with the public of our state. It may not be what we want to hear or as quickly but it does work with our public input. Its going to happen.

18-Oct-18
As much as it sometimes inefficient, Id personally rather have our state representatives and senators handle our state owned public ground through the PGC than any Feds.----Can you explain? Not sure I understand?

18-Oct-18
The process for the affairs of a state, any state should be handled within that state and its citizens. The PGC is fully capable of maximizing how to use any possible opportunity to enhance our states wildlife affairs on our own public property.

19-Oct-18
I agree...we want to have a PGC and we want them to be the ones who have the ability to determine issues related to hunting, such as SUNDAY HUNTING.

• Sitka Gear