Tweed's embedded Photo
Mulligan stew for lunch and dinner....and lunch and dinner...ect
Tweed's embedded Photo
Mulligan stew for lunch and dinner....and lunch and dinner...ect
Tweed's embedded Photo
Living quarters for the week.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Living quarters for the week.
Well my family has had this land since the late 70s and through divorces and neglect it has come to me.

I've been rough camping here for years and years. After freezing my nuggets last year with an early November cold front I decided its time to erect something with a little more R value.

12-Oct-18

Tweed's embedded Photo
Sill logs in place resting on cinder blocks.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Sill logs in place resting on cinder blocks.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Rain all but one day. Spent most of my time under tarp eating, drinking and reading.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Rain all but one day. Spent most of my time under tarp eating, drinking and reading.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo

12-Oct-18

Tweed's embedded Photo
The only dry morning
Tweed's embedded Photo
The only dry morning
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
And this is as far as I got. After taking this photo I made the notches deeper for less of a gap.
Tweed's embedded Photo
And this is as far as I got. After taking this photo I made the notches deeper for less of a gap.

12-Oct-18
I'm no Dick Proenecke and this isn't hollywood. I won't be finished with this till probably the summer of 2020. Chinking will be the last thing I do. Will definitely still going to be a "camp" and not a 2nd home but should be full of good stories and memories.

12-Oct-18
Looks and sounds like a great adventure. Keep us posted and updated with pictures!

12-Oct-18
Wow!!! That's what I'm talking about!!! You may not be him but you're making him proud!!! You making wooden door hinges too???

12-Oct-18
Very cool... keep on sharing the progress

12-Oct-18
Lol no wood hinges here. Dick was a craftsman, I'm a gorilla with a chainsaw.

12-Oct-18
Cool stuff Tweed. What kind of trees are you using? Are you planning on peeling the bark on them.?

12-Oct-18
They're mainly oak. I think I accidentally got a maple in there too.

Half of them are peeled from when I dropped them in the spring. I pinched my chain though and had to stop. When I went back up in July to drop some more I didn't even bother to attmept to peel them. At that time of year the bark is nearly glued on. I'm hoping by the summer of 2020 the back will be falling off.

There's another dozen or so trees staged, up off the ground, waiting for the spring.

12-Oct-18
Can I suggest a spring turkey/work weekend?

12-Oct-18
Nice, good luck with the project. Just a suggestion, it looks to me like the cement block is just sitting on the ground. I think they will settle into the ground pretty fast. Might want to consider two solid 4x8x16 blocks under each cinder block, laid crossways to the cinder blocks. Maybe even use solid 4x8x16 supporting the building too. Then put some sort of rubber between the blocks and the first log to prevent seepage from the block into the logs.

12-Oct-18
Your living the dream right there that is cool!

12-Oct-18
Nice work Tweed! You're a lucky man.

12-Oct-18
Awesome Project. It will be amazing when you get to fire up a your heat source and actually get to sit back and enjoy! Good Luck. Good advice from Jeff

12-Oct-18
Looks like you are living the dream congratulations! Some day I wish to own my own land and build a small cabin. No power just a bed and wood stove. I am only 30 so I have time still good willing.

12-Oct-18
That's cool Tweed . How long have you had the idea to do something like that ? If you need more inspiration or encouragement check out Shawn James " My Self Reliance" on you tube . He has documented his cabin build start to finish sort of like Dick Proenecke only its happing right now .

12-Oct-18
Looking good! What a sense of accomplishment it will be to know you did that. What are you gonna do for the roof? Maybe kick out and extend a corner for a shitter?

12-Oct-18
I've probably have had the idea since middle school when we watched Braving Alaska in science class. I'm only in my mid 30s now but realized I'm not getting any younger so I better give it a shot before the excuses pile up.

The east and south sides have the logs hanging out about 4 feet for a porch and work area.

For the roof I'm still debating on the route I'll take of either lumber or small diameter logs next to each other.

12-Oct-18
Jeff - I'm thinking of using those concrete deck peirs in each corner. I'm curious to see what one frost cycle does on this sandy soil.

12-Oct-18
very cool, will be a great accomplishment when completed for enjoyment.

12-Oct-18
Deck piers might be fine for the top but you need a bigger footprint in the ground so that the weight gets spread out over more square footage of that sand. Sand is a plus as far as base support goes. There will be a lot of weight sitting on 4 corners. Not like a conventional house where that load is spread out across the whole perimeter of the building. Maybe some supports along the perimeter would help too.

Might also be good to get the footing down as deep as practical to minimize the amount the footing moves during freeze/thaw. Sure the logs will flex some but movement could be tough on the chinking. Then again, I have no real knowledge of what works or doesn't work regarding log hunting shacks.

12-Oct-18
Not too terribly worried about frost heaving. Its only 12x16 like many peoples garden sheds.

In talking with guys on the AK and Canadian forums they mention that they only support the corners.

12-Oct-18
Tweed - check you PMs,...lengthy note about the cabin I built. This info may help.

12-Oct-18
diamond piers will work perfectly. never move

12-Oct-18
Another vote for diamond piers! And the way the tubes get installed you could sneak them in there fairly easily yet

13-Oct-18
Watched a video on installing the diamond piers. They look awesome. I have seen the blocks but didn't realize that you drive pipes into the holes. I wish I could use them on a roof that I want to attach to the back end of a pole shed. Problem is that there is a high voltage line running diagonally underground where the posts will be. Driving those pipes in would be very dangerous and expensive if I hit one.

13-Oct-18
Very cool Tweed. That will be a great feeling when you get it done & get to stay in it.

13-Oct-18
Man, that is awesome!!!

13-Oct-18
Good luck getting the Diamond Piers installed if your dealing with rocks....

14-Oct-18
Mr. P was using some sort of Pine for his cabin not Oak - thats how he built it in four hours on PBS ;) You have your work cut out for you but will be all the more memorable. While your still a few rows high I would add mid span footers while its easy. Being in sandy soil they could just be sitting on sand and gravel and use shims to adjust through the years. Otherwise since you have a long term project the logs will sag and dry and as you get higher they will get more and more un level and make your openings tough. Mr. P. used all green logs and "over - cut" the openings which when put up together shrank all the same and become uniform. On larger cabins this is also critical to account for on king posts.

14-Oct-18
Cool stuff Tweed. Please keep posting pics as it comes along.

14-Oct-18
retro, he said it was sandy.

15-Oct-18
Better peel them logs or all your hard work will be for nothing.

15-Oct-18
South Farm, good point on the bark.

15-Oct-18
What do you put between the logs to close the gaps? Awesome project, love seeing the step by step progress. Way to go, keep us posted please.

15-Oct-18
Tweed, I built a log cabin and nearly done after twenty years, just some tips; Sell the Oaks and Maples, get a 10 cord load of Red Pine, much easier to work with; straight and fairly rot resistant. But you must peel and treat the logs with penetreat to keep out the bugs. Left non peeled and non treated that Maple log with rotten in a few years, The oak will last a very long time,. Enjoy your quest, I enjoyed mine.

15-Oct-18
Most of the logs are peeled. The few I dropped in the summer still have bark. I'm hoping by next fall or summer after the bark will come off easy.

Ramman- I'll be chinking with metal lathe and cement or something similar.

15-Oct-18
I talked to a neighbor that I plan on trading some work in the spring for him using his tractor to lift up the logs. Might have to drop of few more trees in the spring.

15-Oct-18
Wishing you best of luck with your project. You will be building a lot of memories, along with a hunting camp.

16-Oct-18
Don't forget to run the Wi Fi first.

16-Oct-18
And being in Wisconsin I'm sure you'll be meeting all the dwelling codes, occupancy rules, and have greased everybody's palm from the local inspector on up through the state housing authority, right?!? (Might be funny if it weren't true..)

Anyway, be sure to post a pic when you get it all done and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it! Always nice to build something and see a project through.

16-Oct-18
^buzzkill

16-Oct-18
Don't ask don't tell. What happens in Tweeds cabin stays in Tweeds cabin. lol

16-Oct-18

Tweed's embedded Photo
Me and Pat setting logs.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Me and Pat setting logs.
Neighbor just sent me this. He was a huge help!

16-Oct-18
Exactly Albino! And if anyone asks its a ground blind.

16-Oct-18
I like it. No matter how good or how bad it turns out it will still be a great achievement. Plus it will be there for generations to come.

17-Oct-18
I was just kidding, Tweed. The older I get the more I do like Albino and skip the middle man;) Life's too short.

17-Oct-18
Tweed id like to come by and chop some logs with you next summer if your looking for any help, id like to see how your doing it the wife and I have been thinking about it for awhile

17-Oct-18
Besides is easier to ask (and gain) forgiveness than it is to ask (and gain) permission. Costs double(most towns double the permit fee if caught) but if you value your time it's well worth it

17-Oct-18
Come by anytime Chief.

Northbound....its a groundblind..... no foundation, less than 200 sq . There's plenty of condo blinds and ice shanties that are higher class.

13-May-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Camping for the week. Same tarp as last year. Held up pretty good through the winter.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Camping for the week. Same tarp as last year. Held up pretty good through the winter.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Notching logs
Tweed's embedded Photo
Notching logs
Tweed's embedded Photo
Enjoying the view on a rainy day
Tweed's embedded Photo
Enjoying the view on a rainy day
Just got back from the cabin project. First time up this year.

13-May-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Mud....lots of mud...
Tweed's embedded Photo
Mud....lots of mud...
Tweed's embedded Photo
Doesn't look it but its about 6' tall.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Doesn't look it but its about 6' tall.

13-May-19
go on You Tube,,,, I watched a guy, leave the corporate world and build a cabin in the Canadian Wilderness, with all hand tools,,,, 2 years to complete,,,,, did a whole bunch of You Tube stuff,,,,, very cool, you can learn a lot watching him, set up the logs to chink correctly,,, pretty cool

13-May-19
go on You Tube,,,, I watched a guy, leave the corporate world and build a cabin in the Canadian Wilderness, with all hand tools,,,, 2 years to complete,,,,, did a whole bunch of You Tube stuff,,,,, very cool, you can learn a lot watching him, set up the logs to chink correctly,,, pretty cool

13-May-19
Talking about My Self Reliance? I really enjoy his channel and his cabin is a work of art.

13-May-19
Looks like a good start. Keep us posted with the progress.

13-May-19
The Cabin is looking good Tweed, that bow ain't bad either :)

13-May-19
Tweed I have told you before, you should buy my tent I do not use anymore,,, you and the wife and kids would live like kings, as you build your dream,,,, I would sell it to to you so cheap,,,, they are not made like this anymore, and the ones that are, cost a fortune

13-May-19
Tweed at one point in my life, I lived in this tent for over a year,,, when I met my wife,, she also lived in it for a few months,,,,, great memories

14-May-19
Very cool Casey. Keep up the hard work. It’s exiting seeing some progress.

14-May-19
“Exciting”

14-May-19
Pretty cool tweed, what are you going to chink it with?

15-May-19
Thanks guys.

Groundhunter - my wife wouldn't use the tent and I'm not up north enough to make it worth it but thanks for the offer.

Craig that is a great bow, very smooth shooter. Did a little stumping while I was up. Thanks again man!

L2H- I'll be filling in some of the larger gaps with broken brick, stones or saplings. Not sure what ill be chinking with yet. Some sort of mortar straw mix.

15-May-19
Before you go any farther you might want to number your logs, disassemble them, PEEL THEM ALL, and reassemble. Your bottom ones are going to rot if you don't peel them and all your chinking will be a waste of time when that bark dries out and starts falling off. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you a major headache and lots of work for nothing.

15-May-19
Thanks southfarm, the bark came off nicely last weekend. Even the ones on the bottom.

15-May-19
I’m digging the progress Tweed!

16-May-19
Tweed,,,, when you see it set up this year at Horicon Trad Shoot, and the price, I think you may change your mind..... just for yourself, it would be true luxury, and would stay up without issues till next spring,,, yep its that tough and good

12-Jun-19
Tweed any updates?

05-Jul-19
Haven't been back up there really to work since May. I took the wife there for the first time last week as part of our anniversary (stayed at the Miscauno resort)

I'm going up next week with a buddy to drop a few trees but won't be any real progress till the autumn when its cool enough to work and not be eaten alive by bugs.

07-Jul-19
Tweed,,, I have told you this till I am blue in the face.,,,, buy my tent,,,, it will be on display at Horicon next Saturday, at the Trad shoot

15-Jul-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Log ramp
Tweed's embedded Photo
Log ramp

15-Jul-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
Big lever
Tweed's embedded Photo
Big lever

15-Jul-19

Tweed's embedded Photo
The crew
Tweed's embedded Photo
The crew

15-Jul-19
Got up for a quick weekend. Arrived late Thursday with just enough to time to get a fire going and cook dinner.

Friday morning while looking for trees I pinched my bar on a disobedient tree that fell the wrong way. Ran into town for a new bar. As soon as we got back sheets of rain began to come down.

Saturday was the most productive day. Got the ramps and pulley system set up. Set 4 logs.

The ramps work great. The site is small and its a pain in the butt getting the logs to the ramps. This was a great learning weekend. Next time we're up we won't have as much figuring to do and things should go smoother.

15-Jul-19
You watch this take place, and you realize the fortitude our settlers must have had, and how we have become sissified as a people. Well done Tweed. Most people would not take on a project like this, and likely would have quit. Are you chinking the logs with mortar, or using mud and moss when the cabin is complete?

15-Jul-19
I'd love to use mud but we have sandy soil so I'll be using mortar backed with metal lathe. The larger gaps I'll tap in saplings.

We talked a lot about our forefathers this past weekend ....boy what we would give for a few horses or oxen.

15-Jul-19
this is a great thread,,,, nice pictures

15-Jul-19
Pretty cool tweed, those will be some great memory's to have when your pulling in there years from now.

• Sitka Gear