RC 21-Oct-18
RC 21-Oct-18
DaleHajas 21-Oct-18
Jeff Durnell 21-Oct-18
HARRY CARRY 21-Oct-18
Red Beastmaster 21-Oct-18
HARRY CARRY 22-Oct-18
14-Oct-18
Is there any place that will take old compound bows? I have two old compounds 60-70 lbs, to heavy for kids. Just don't want to throw then in the trash but they should be looked over before shot.

Ryan

14-Oct-18
Ryan: go over to the Bowsite's "The Leatherwall", and do a search on "WARF" bows. WARF bows are longbows or recurves that started life as a compound bow riser. Depending on the old compounds you have, you may have one that can be transformed into a recurve/longbow, for which folks actually are looking for certain risers. It might be a way for someone to take them off your hands....and still keep them involved in Archery.

OR: if you are handy, I've seen compound risers turned onto door handles, lamps, barn door handles, and a varied bunch of other repurposed items.

Just a couple thoughts offered here....

14-Oct-18
Was at a September flea market, outdated compounds (cables) 5 dollars. Old compounds with strings harnesses 8 dollars. Solid fiberglass bows 10-15 dollars. Laminated recurve 45-175 dollars. Local sporting goods told me it was 80-100 dollars to have replacement steel cables made plus shipping.

15-Oct-18
I will echo what Randy is talking about. Some of those old bows are perfect for that conversion, eh Hajas?

15-Oct-18
I'll have to research the conversion possibility. Ryan

15-Oct-18
Go for it..

15-Oct-18

15-Oct-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
My martin pantera compound converted to ILF.

15-Oct-18
Ryan what model are the bows

15-Oct-18
PSE XSR 500 and Darton Viper

16-Oct-18
I searched and could not find anywhere either bow being warfed, nor Sam Dunham even mentioning either. The limb pocket angles are wrong. However Ryan, give Jim U a call as he was experimenting with machining some limb pockets for ILF limbs. The Darton has better limb pad angs.

I have to say that my Black Bear warf may very well be my best shooting bow, so to me its worth looking into the Viper conversion and its really not expensive. See what Jim has to say!

17-Oct-18
How do l know what limbs to get? I have an old Hoyt raptor, l would like to change to a recurve. Sweet looking bow RC.

17-Oct-18
That's pretty cool! Had no idea you could turn a 'wheelie-bow" into a recurve! My problem is I gave my old compound bow away to a newbie. And I'm still using the only other compound I have ever owned. (Yeah, when I find something I like, I tend to stick with it! ;-)

Well, I will have to keep this in mind when/if I ever get a new compound! : )

17-Oct-18
Perry, only certain compound can be modified. From what I've seen it's the old Black Bear compound and some Prolines. The limb pad angles have to be in a certain range.

17-Oct-18

DaleHajas's embedded Photo
Bear Black Bear warf left. #45 Tradtech Limbs Right- Hoyt Raider Frankenbow with Bolt on Samick #45 limbs I had $80 wrapped up in this smooth shooter:)
DaleHajas's embedded Photo
Bear Black Bear warf left. #45 Tradtech Limbs Right- Hoyt Raider Frankenbow with Bolt on Samick #45 limbs I had $80 wrapped up in this smooth shooter:)
Bear Black Bears, several editions of them, Proline Typhoon, Force etc, makes a great bow, Hoyt Rambo, Spectre type risers. Hoyt and Black Bears, you can buy Samick limbs (Amazon) and just bolt on. However theyre not considered a warfed bow. Warfed bows have either slots machined or plates made and inserted to acceppt ILF limbs. Bolt on limbs are called Frankenbows. Heres my Black Bear with Trad Tech Longbow limbs bolted on Ebay plates($40) although a warfed longbow, its an absolute rocket with no hand shock. I have about $125 in it. Seriously may be the best shooting bow I own.

17-Oct-18
Dinks.....

17-Oct-18
:)

19-Oct-18
Thanks guys! interesting..............................

19-Oct-18

Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
I've owned a couple of different Black Bear warf bows over the years. ILF takedown for travel is simple and there is an almost unlimited choice of limb styles and lengths.

I've owned several ILF recurve limbs from basic wood/fiberglass to high-end Olympic foam/carbons and have found that there is no need for bowhunters to spend big bucks for fancy limbs . An $80 pair of wood/glass limbs will shoot as well as any recurve made. Foam/Carbon limbs are great but not always the smoothest and they cost $400-$800.

I'm in the process of putting another one together. I traded a dozen shafts for the warfed Black Bear riser and can either trade for limbs or buy a set for $80. As far as shootability and performance, it will be as good or better than any bow out there, no matter the cost. It may not be as pretty as an exotic wood custom but I got past how a bow looks decades ago.

19-Oct-18
You old bugger, I didn't know you was into making ilf bows. There is hope for you after all:)

19-Oct-18
I'm not making them, I just put the pieces together and have done that for years.

I guess you don't know I was making selfbows back when you were RCXX75 - long before you started chasing rings.

And there is no hope for me.

19-Oct-18
And there is no hope for me.

That's the smartest thing you ever said in here:)

19-Oct-18
So now, after all these years, you admit I'm smart.

19-Oct-18
Well you are getting there, slowly :)

19-Oct-18
I don't care what any of you say, these frankinbows are butt ugly cold lifeless hunks of metal that have no soul!

Compound wannabes! Just shoot wheels and get it over with!

Dale, you should be ashamed. Phil, I'm not surprised.

20-Oct-18
Go shoot your ugly cold aluminum arrows and be quiet. Grow a set and shoot a wooden bow and wood arrows there Mr. Trad Archer:)

20-Oct-18
I can see why you think that way Red. Lots of folks that switch from compounds really have strong feelings about what is or isn't good looking in a bow. But remember that one of Bear Archery's best shooting takedowns was the cold, lifeless magnesium riser.

Personally I don't think any bow has a soul. They're just a tool.

And a Frankenbow isn't a Warf. You'll need to work on your terminology. :)

20-Oct-18
Red I have no shame:) That BB warf will shoot right with the AMag riser Ive got. Its got longbow limbs to boot! Doesnt mean I honor it lol I traded my $100 static grizz for the limbs and bought the BB riser for $20.

FWIW - i was given a '73 Kodiak Mag. Ive been shooting it, this #45 AMag riser and my '60 Grizz. I havent taken a bow out yet because Im not happy with my shooting.... After over a month of shooting 3 bows, The Grizz melts to my hand and hits the bullseye. Guess which one wears The Quiver of Death:)

20-Oct-18
My bows used to be a living being. Your bows used to be a refrigerator.

And no, Warf was a Klingon on Star Trek.

20-Oct-18
No WARF was a dog..... Seriously lol So now Im off to pack my borrowed inline and gear to slay some freezer meat:)

20-Oct-18
A living being? Oh Red. They were just parts of trees or pieces of grass. And once they got cut they were dead.

BTW, How living was that fiberglass and glue that hold your bow all together? :)

20-Oct-18
SOOOOOOooooo.....

If I take my All-Fiberglass Ben Pearson Jet bow, chop off about eight inches either side of the rubberized black dual shelf handgrippy, then bolt/weld/DUCT Tape compound bow limbs, add pulleys and cables....

I'd kinda be doing a reverse WARF, or a "FRAW" to create a "FrankenComp"????

Is this legal in 2018, or will I need "The Bishop's" Blessing??? Oh boy...

20-Oct-18
"So now Im off to pack my borrowed inline and gear to slay some freezer meat"

Bowsite!

Phil, I know better than to argue with my elders. They are old and get confused. You just can't reason with them. ;)

20-Oct-18
Old? Unfortunately yes. But I hope you get there someday because it isn't that bad and the alternative isn't that great.

Confused? Only when I get into a room and can't recall why I went there.

Reason with them? Only if you bring your A game. Otherwise you can't reason with someone that 's right. :)

21-Oct-18
Red, this has become the M & M site.

Mushrooms and Muzzle loaders:)

21-Oct-18
So..........what have we learned here? What do we do with old compounds?

"If" it's the right riser it can be turned into a real bow, sort of. Old guys love them. They claim they can shoot them so well but too heavy to hunt with.

Take pretty pictures of the BARF bows in the back yard, then take your so-called primitive muzzle loader out to blast a hole in a deer.

Sigh. What a let down. My heroes are not what they once were. It's like finding out Superman now has to wear Depends.

I think the better question is "What to do with old Bowhunters?"

21-Oct-18
Relax Pilgrim.

There are some good ole time bow makers still around..

21-Oct-18

RC's Link

21-Oct-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

21-Oct-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

21-Oct-18

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

21-Oct-18
Red my latest model trad bow is a 1973-4 Kodiak. Fact that refridgerator riser is way older than what your carrying and that Asian bow of yours has newer limbs than the BARF bow. Trad tech longbow limbs are even extinct:) Love you brother:) After we light up some smudge in my Whelan tent, I'll give you a Clove to smoke next year at strictly sticks. They will make us happy:)

21-Oct-18
I don't even know what the heck you guys are talking about anymore. Are asian barftech kodiacs a type of crossbow?

21-Oct-18
"Asian Barftech Kodiacs"....

A great band name if there ever was one.

21-Oct-18
There's a t-shirt design if there ever was one!

22-Oct-18
Nice staves there, Roy....

70", like the "Sandra Bullock" bow?!!

• Sitka Gear