hickstick 16-Oct-18
BruceP 16-Oct-18
Huntskifishcook 16-Oct-18
Tbow 16-Oct-18
Will 16-Oct-18
hickstick 16-Oct-18
hickstick 17-Oct-18
15-Oct-18
It has been fun joking about the green can call these last few years. But jokes aside—I have used it sparingly, and primarily in November. Tomorrow I’ll be in a spot that is astonishingly free of any sign (my options are limited). I was thinking of hitting that call pretty hard for a bit, around first light. Out of desperation, just to mix things up. What do you think? Bad idea? What about rattling? Way too early, right?

15-Oct-18
why don't you hunt new areas/fresh sign? not trying to be rude but have noticed over the past few years that you seem to get out hunting quite a bit and don't see much activity. put that climber of yours to good use!

15-Oct-18
why don't you hunt new areas/fresh sign? not trying to be rude but have noticed over the past few years that you seem to get out hunting quite a bit and don't see much activity. put that climber of yours to good use!

15-Oct-18
Can could work. Has for me. Light rattling maybe. Nothing aggressive this early. Friendly, easy sparing wouldn't hurt. Or find a spot with lots of sign?

15-Oct-18
I may give it a shot. Thanks!

15-Oct-18
Light on the call. Under your jacket at first. But not too early. It's just a social call to other does. Give it time, maybe a half hour as they will feed towards the call. It's Not time to rattle. IMO.

15-Oct-18
Probably couldn't hurt in an area devoid of sign. I've been kind of against calling the past few years, but after watching guys hunt elk and moose it has been making me more interested in calling. Obviously not the same animals, but similar tendencies and that is the primary hunting strategy for them, at the right time of the year. I'm planning on trying some weird calling stuff in early November. I'll either get one or I won't, much like you tomorrow. Good luck!

16-Oct-18
I use the can. Alot more sparingly now. I Do a 2-1-2 sequence with 3-5 seconds in between. Killed 3-4 deer blind calling in CT like this.

16-Oct-18
I don't like using much until the rut and then sparingly. I think the deer encounter it to much in the woods IMO. If you want to point the can upward and a put it up to your mouth with a short soft blow into the hole on the bottom you will get a nice bleat out of it. Much prefer that now.

16-Oct-18
I use small , medium and large can calls for early middle and late season respectively. Early season have called small deer and mama quite frequently. Last day of MZ one year called in a big black swamp Buck at last light. Works for me. Can get all 3 sizes of promos for less than$20.

16-Oct-18
I love calling. I'm not sure, but it's possible I've shot more deer after calling than while just sitting. It's worked great for me. The can has lead to many a grilled steak for me... but, my gut would go to mid-late next week and beyond.

If the spot has minimal sign, calling wont work - since the deer just are not in the area. Now, if it's a little woodlot and they are, in all likelihood, "over that hill" then yes, have at it - no harm no foul in that spot.

16-Oct-18
Jeb, they have a new call that sounds like a beer opening. I think the idea is that you keep doing that over and over until moons shows up and then just follow him to where the deer are...

16-Oct-18
I think Bruce just won! If all else fails, there is always the acorn cruncher....

16-Oct-18
LoL . I'm so gullible , I bought one of those. Acorn cruncher What a moron !!

16-Oct-18
BH3138, you're not alone. We all get caught up in our obsessions and do some stupid things. You should see how many hand-made wooden striper plugs I bought years ago at $25 a pop, some of which are now lost, many having never even seen the water. Just had to have them because they'll make me a better fisherman, or something...

16-Oct-18
that is one I can say I did not go for... the acorn cruncher. I have never had much luck with calling.. or rattling for that matter. I'm sure it has worked before... but more times that not it has done nothing. I did rattle in a buck last year after I tried grunting him and canning him in. My mind was blown. I proceeded to misjudge the shot and make a bad shot and not recover that deer either... UGH

16-Oct-18
I thought you guys were kidding. There is actually a deer call that is supposed to sound like the crunching of eating acorns?

16-Oct-18

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
Will, I do remember listening to Ben Rogers Lee decades ago, who, when walking to his deer stand would load his pockets with small stones found along the way. once he was up on stand and the light started coming up, he'd pull out a stone every 20 min or so and toss it up into the canopy of the white oak he was in. it would sound like acorns bouncing their way down through the branches. lol

Jeb, I'm 'a little different' lol, then most guys on here....as you can see from my pic. anyway...once bucks are out of velvet they will being having mock battles and start establishing 'pecking order'. rattle away...but not too aggro. short fun lil 'play fights'.

16-Oct-18

BruceP's Link
Here you go Will...

I can only imagine how many takes it was to get that done. I would have cracked up laughing a dozen times trying to do that voice over.

16-Oct-18
Hick, that is an epic pic!

And guys the cruncher is an epic call. It was almost outlawed after being too effective. No deer? Crunch that thing and deer come a running! Pretty sure moons has one on him at all times, it's really the only explanation.

16-Oct-18
little can for early to all phases have had two encounters ( different locations) not sure if it brought them in but definitely didn’t spook’m. Blow in the hole can change it up

16-Oct-18
Hick, that was taken yesterday, correct? :)

Well... call me amazed. Never would have believed anyone would buy that thing, or even make one. Also, where in the world did they find a deer dense enough to watch a guy wiggle his hand making noise and not run for it's life. I need to go hunt there!

16-Oct-18
Lol....not gonna say it was like 30 years old cuz that would make me seem really old.

I just watched that kruncher video...omg.

17-Oct-18
why not just bring a bag of walnuts....put 2 in your hand....squeeze...krunch....and enjoy a tasty snack while waiting for the 4 to 6 deer per square mile to hear it over the breeze, get up from their bed, pass by the 7 other hunters hunting the same parcel as you, nice and calm...lol

• Sitka Gear