fran 16-Oct-18
fran 16-Oct-18
Les 16-Oct-18
spike78 16-Oct-18
fran 16-Oct-18
Bowhunter7 16-Oct-18
brokenarrow 16-Oct-18
16-Oct-18
I called it this morning due to wind gust in my spot over 20mph and consistently at 15mph. Was very hard for me to do because the direction for my spot was mint, and i havent sat it yet. just curious at what wind speed other people call it at?

16-Oct-18
15 mph is my cut off for treestand unless it’s gun season and I’m walking. I find that though deer will move in the wind they don’t typically go far and very hinky. Sometimes tough to get them to stand in relaxed position and get an arrow on the way

16-Oct-18
I was going to cancel but I already took the day off and the wind slowed down from what it was overnight.

16-Oct-18
I've listened to 2 recent studies where they concluded that deer movement increases as wind increases up to 30 mph. This was determined with many years of data. They said most people disagree with this because most people leave the woods early or simply don't hunt when the wind gets above XX mph therefore they see less deer obviosuly. Wind will not stop me from hunting ever. I shot my buck last year on a super high wind day (above 20 mph). If you don't feel comfortable being in a tree or shooting from a tree in the wind that is understandable, but just hunt from the ground. Cant kill em from the couch.

16-Oct-18
It was crazy from like 1AM to 3AM. Blowing like nuts, house shaking sort of wind.

Then when the alarm pinged for what may be my only AM hunt for a long time there was breeze, but it was not heavy. I looked out the window, and the neighbor's flag was hanging limp... I could hear our wind chime, but overall... It was huntable.

I got in the tree for my first AM sit this year. It was great. lots of squirrels, not to chilly, but cool enough to feel good and I saw two does who, despite getting inside 40yds, managed to do so in all the spots I couldnt shoot, then they dropped over the ridge into the bedding thicket.

Fun!

About 8:45 as I'm pondering getting down to go home and start the day's work, I see movement down by a cart road, it was a guy walking in. He had a bow, but I'm thinking he was scouting, it was hung from his shoulder with one of those bow sling things, and he was walking pretty normally with no stand on his back or anything. Where he headed, put me down wind, so I suspected if he (hope he didnt) took a right about 150-200yds further and headed up the hill into the baby pine thicket, a lot of deer have been bedding there, so I hoped one would get bumped my way. No dice. Hopefully he had a good walk and saw a deer or two - it's a very solid spot.

Best part though.

When I got to my truck, I'm expecting another truck. But the guy had, what I can only label the greatest hunter camo car in the history of bowhunting. Had he shot a deer, I have no clue what he would have done... But I'd have paid money to see it...

He was driving a white Mini Cooper.

If you happen to be on bowsite - that was me with the brown Tacoma.

16-Oct-18
good points bigwoods i definatly dont doubt the deer movement in the wind. more of a saftey thing for me. next time i should just spot and stalk.

16-Oct-18
Camp Mini Cooper! Now that would be something to see. Did you get a pic Will?

16-Oct-18

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
There you go BT :). (Pic was on my phone, and I'm on my PC trying to get my head into "work" now...)

16-Oct-18
Winds still swaying my little red oak but BWB just convinced me to stick it out. Can't kill em from my office chair.

16-Oct-18
I've read very similar things that BW mentioned. If it's unsafe to be in a tree, just think of the advantages the wind provides. If you move only when the wind blows you have a real chance of sneaking up on bedded deer. If I could, I'd be out there!

16-Oct-18
I agree with big woods I shot a real nice 8-pt in high wind. I was not going to hunt that day because of the wind but my buddy convinced me to go I was glad he did.

16-Oct-18
I agree with big woods I shot a real nice 8-pt in high wind. I was not going to hunt that day because of the wind but my buddy convinced me to go I was glad he did.

16-Oct-18

Les's embedded Photo
Les's embedded Photo
I'm a firm believer in hunting windy conditions now!!

Wasn't the best shot but she only went 60 yards and dropped.

16-Oct-18
Good deal Les!

16-Oct-18
Way to go!

16-Oct-18
Congrats

16-Oct-18
congrats les! thanks all for the input i did go out this afternoon for a 4 hour sit just to watch some red squirrels yell at me the whole time haha. cant win if you dont play!

• Sitka Gear