spike78 18-Oct-18
MA_Bowhunter 18-Oct-18
bowandspear 19-Oct-18
17-Oct-18
Who’s heading out? Weather feels good this morning. Heading out in z10

17-Oct-18
Nice and cold. Im headed too work. Ughhh then z 10 after work

17-Oct-18
Z11. In stand. Good luck to those who can get out.

17-Oct-18
Perfect morning. Maybe trigger early rut

17-Oct-18
It’s perfect out I’m not gonna be able to hunt till Saturday- weather looks bad. May go to NH for Sunday

17-Oct-18
Sat cloudy. I thought maybe a shower

17-Oct-18
nice frost here in z9 nothing the wiper fluid couldnt handle i dont wanna bust out the scrapper yet haha. had a yote roll by 50 yards off my left at 645, wheres the bucks, probably behind me while im writing this

17-Oct-18
great morning. Wish I was out. My buddy just shot a doe. A couple other guys out. Haven't heard from them yet.

17-Oct-18
I read an interesting article related to moon phase (the real moon not moons) that said a nov 1 full moon triggered a uniform rut while a oct 16 full moon created 2 ruts kind of scattered. It’s in deer and deer hunting magazine, free for amazon prime members.

17-Oct-18
Photoperiod (pho·to·pe·ri·od ) : the period of time each day during which an organism receives illumination; day length.

This is the one factor that determines the Rut. A few variations influence it in conjunction. The moon is not likely one of them. But it is in conjunction with spring/summer food availability. 85% of all Does will be bred during a small window of time in November. For some locations on our latitude ( that have a sharp and early onset of winter), the schedule is roughly a week -10 days earlier than here on the east coast. Mid-country constantly receives early winter from a northern dip in the Polar jet-stream and we continue on in mild weather by virtue of the Subtropical Jet.

In effect, the Spring green-up is the optimum time for Fawn survival and thus has a great and critical effect on the breeding timeline which is approx 201 days of gestation prior to that time. Roughly the beginning of June. Breeding is Mid Nov and birthing is early June to later in Nov to mid-June.

The magazines will focus on a typical timeline of central states and those affected by arctic /polar jet -weather onset and spring green-up schedule. Hence, the earlier breeding timeline. ( optimum survivability ) This determines the timeline and it is consistent. Survival assures it, demands it and depends on it.

If you look at the optimum foliage movement you will see the bubble as it spreads From the inner North and North /central part of our land, it expands towards the South and south/east. So here we are on the south-east coast. And the secondary dividing line or break line (caused by the subtropical jet ) of weather conditions is roughly through Attleboro /Taunton and headed on a diagonal to the N/ E.

Overall, we in Ma. are constantly warmer than the mid states even though we are on the same latitude and even above many of them, that warmth is consistently magnified as one moves South and eastward. That makes their rut timeline a week to 10 days earlier.

Read the magazines and add 7 days to the west of 495 and a few more still to the east of it.

...Or rush out there like so many do because some magazine said so. Or when you start hearing about big buck being shot in Indiana, Ohio or Illinois but failed to account for our specific local-seasonal- weather differences.

I'll be waiting for the last week in Oct- late Nov for Buck /Doe action. And not stinking up my best spots for an extra week while watching does eat. ( I'll pop into the spots when great conditions allow, to check a camera, look at the signs and have a short sit but no major pressure till later in the month)

The end.

17-Oct-18
Had a doe come right under my tree behind me around 7:45 no shot. Sounded like some guys were knocking down some ducks not to far from me

17-Oct-18
4 does last night but no shots. Had 3 turkeys come up this morning but no deer yet today. Hoping for a return from the ladies in the afternoon. Zone 5

17-Oct-18
Quiet but beautiful morning. Nothing moving around me. Went to this spot based on a southerly wind. Try again this afternoon.

17-Oct-18
Well put TT-Pi... couldn't agree more. I'm looking forward to Halloween and the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

17-Oct-18
First two weeks of November... Every. Single. Year. Followed closely by the second two weeks of November... Every. Single. Year. With third going to the last week in October... Every. Single. Year.

I had good action, today. No deer were harmed though. Got in, and about 10' after legal light I hear something coming, I thought it was 50-60yds by the sound of it, so grabbed the bow, when pop, out from the big fat, 3 trunked oak 15yds away pops a 3pt. He's walking straight at my tree. Finally, at 5yds, maybe, he realizes the blob 15 feet up normally is not there and does a 180, starts slowly walking away, at 15yds his heads down and I risk drawing, he gets nervous, hops a couple times and stops to look back. paced it off on the way out - 30yds. I aimed, I held the pin on his lungs... And I couldnt squeeze it off. It was a smallish hole to shoot through about 12-15" wide which made aiming a little weird, and he was nervous enough at that point, I didnt like the "what could happen when I shoot" math. So he walked off towards bed. Fun.

This spot had amazing AM/PM every single day action on cam a month ago, so I was not to sad, and figured another buck or doe could be along any minute.

Well, an hour later I hear one on the hill side above, get ready and a doe starts feeding across the slope above me. Goes behind a big pine at 20yds, I draw, she feeds out and is standing behind a little baby beech for about 30". the wind had gotten a little swirly, and all I can think is that she caught a sniff of me and didnt like it, she took one step out from that little beech and before I could really think, she snorts, and bounds 40yds. stops, and proceeds to stiff leg walk off snorting. Ugh. No kidding, a solid 5' of snorting. I waited about 30' longer, with very low hopes, then headed home. Wont be back there for a week or two to let it calm down, it's a great spot, and regrettably, I may have messed it up a bit today...

17-Oct-18
Heading out shortly in z5 .

17-Oct-18
Sounds like a fun hunt Will.

17-Oct-18
Good story Will. I'm sure it is a great spot still and will be all good when the action gets going.

From Will Best times to be in the woods : "First two weeks of November... Every. Single. Year. Followed closely by the second two weeks of November... Every. Single. Year. With third going to the last week in October... Every. Single. Year. "

The seek and then chase overlap into peak breeding in mid-November. But I have noticed that the last week of October and first few days in November Mature Bucks are making their rounds. Then it goes quiet for a week before it "pops." For me, The first week of November-Nov 10 ish, is a "rest week" before the big production.

October obviously comes first and during that last week bucks tend to walk their range and if you find where they like to bed then catching them returning to bed in the morning is easy picking. Well not easy but the best first shot at Bucks before they start getting goofy in the weeks that follow.

Be patient and take notes. Get your doe tag filled and take a rest. Get your chores done!

17-Oct-18
Good stuff Will, good call. Great to hear you are getting some action !

Arrownoob - best advice I was ever given for learning how to hunt the North East. 1. Stop watching deer hunting shows. 2. Stop reading deer magazines. 3. Swamp Yankees know a thing or two. While I do celebrate the rutting moon in my own fashion... I don't put any stock in advice linked to anything commercial. I'm sure early man had this rut thing figured out within a couple of generations, but ole Grog at the edge of the village needed a new way to promote year long sales of his hunting tools.

17-Oct-18
Spot on PI. And this is key...

"I'll be waiting for the last week in Oct- late Nov for Buck /Doe action. And not stinking up my best spots for an extra week while watching does eat. "

17-Oct-18
No problem hunting for deer this time of year if you want a doe. That being said, I’m in Pi’s camp. I have a few spots that are the “buck” spots this year. I’m staying out of there til November.

In the meantime, I’ll be out again tomorrow morning hunting for my future 30lbs of doe sausage.

Happy hunting.

17-Oct-18
Interesting stuff Pi. I've had pretty lame luck late October outside seeing doe's and smaller bucks. Nothing wrong with that for sure :), but it's weird, Nov 1 and suddenly I see them. That makes little to no sense, and makes me wonder if it's my noticing that I saw a bigger deer and it happened to be November vs November actually being better than say halloween.

That said, Ill do everything in my power to be in the forest +- a few days of Nov 6. That's been my "sweet" spot over the years.

Interesting observation though about the larger bucks out checking things out that last week in october. I need to consider hunting my "November" spots next week if I get a chance just to see what shakes loose.

17-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
Z5 a little windy , setup on the river bed behind the hillside. 50 degrees out. Great day to be out.

17-Oct-18
I'm hunting fringe areas for does or just a lucky shot on a buck right now. My best areas have not been touched but the reality of it is I hunt public. Someone else will most likely f it up.

17-Oct-18
Wow it got warm

17-Oct-18
Steveeg is hunting in China.

17-Oct-18
Will, I was thrilled that we got an early start this year in the east. Mostly because that gave me time to get one out before the Big guys make their rounds.

I think when we are hunting hard in the first few weeks of Oct, we are alerting the deer to much more intrusion than the long summer freedom they have had. That, in turn, stinks it up and also, moves the does around. This may alert the bucks when they come looking. Does go deeper and then the Bucks may also or they are less active in daylight when there is more pressure...Or unseasonably warm. So last year I didn't want to shoot an early deer in a good spot. ( I only have one good spot this year and last) Either way, if we are hunting just before the Bucks start making rounds then there is No rest time for the woods. If we shoot a doe it has to stink it up.

I remember seeing a Batchelor group in June about 10+ years ago ( 4 monsters, 1 Piebald, and one more medium buck) walking along the wood line and that is where I have also seen a few huge bucks hanging out waiting in the rut period. ( I think they (2 )at least have been killed locally but they are using the same pathway ) They walked through in June and then not again till the season when at least one good one shows up to shred some trees in late Oct. ( last year I passed on one of the two who were making the mess and so far no activity there yet ) I believe they retreat to another part of the woods that is impenetrable until the last moment. They come to mark the space at the end of Oct and then retreat again and then come back out when the girls are ready.

That's what I have observed and confirmed with cameras in a few good spots. In my current area, The scrapes start in a far-off spot close to their bedding and I am staying out of that area until the end of Oct. Even then, I am laying back on the downwind edge behind the action. I will check my camera on a seasonal scrape if rain is in the forecast and my equipment. (climber and cart) is stashed in the woods close enough to make the journey less burdensome and to acclimate to the local smell. Better than having to lug it all the way in the dark...

I see the scrapes open up and then it goes blank until the action starts. No daytime action until then. But this is not the same woods as Western Ma and there is more likely human activity to figure in.

Right now I am just bumping around in some B spots hoping to get lucky ... While Keeping one eye on my A spot for any sign of the "game on" moment. Dang its hard to hold out but that's Best I think. And then in those perfect spots, it's a one-shot deal, maybe two ...

17-Oct-18
It’s so windy it bent Steve’s tree all the way over!

17-Oct-18
Z10 some rain and a lot of tree surfing!!!

17-Oct-18
Beautiful now. Good luck everyone

17-Oct-18
Darn it Spike, I was going to use that line!

17-Oct-18
Looks like Steve put a saddle on upside down

17-Oct-18
I LOVE THIS FREAKIN MANTIS

17-Oct-18

bowandspear's embedded Photo
bowandspear's embedded Photo
PI I'm in the same camp staying in B + C spots, not even stepping into the woods, hunting the edges. Wasn't suppose to hunt today but ended up with the time to go. Slipped in to a different spot on the powerline, found a small fresh scrape. Not the kind you hunt over but at least it's fresh since last Saturday. Had 3 seasons of weather in 1:45 min. When the big wind gusts and light drizzle ended I thought I heard antlers. Light rubbing, saplings moving 25 behind me. "I can't see s$it behind me" cover is so thick. I hear one walking cautiously. Then 10 min later more rubbing. So 5:50 I throw a couple of grunts out there to see if I'm imagining this. Crash bang boom one charges the powerline edge and stops. I'm sure peering out to see who's taunting him. He's down wind of me 30 ft away and I can't see him but at least I'm 25 up in the wind lol. I play the patient game then after 10 min I hear him start to walk behind me and I cannot see him at all due to thick cover. I try one more grunt when I realize he is leaving . No dice. Now it's dark and pinned up here for awhile. Time to pack the walking weights I made last year lol. One of these days I'll win one of these. Time to let that spot rest. Hopefully they cut the damn corn this week and open up new option.

17-Oct-18
Had a doe and two fawns out feeding at 445 tonight. Spooked back into the woods, then came out past me again at 545. 65 yards. No boys

17-Oct-18
Had a doe and two fawns out feeding at 445 tonight. Spooked back into the woods, then came out past me again at 545. 65 yards. No boys

17-Oct-18
B and S - that right there is a gorgeous bow!

17-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
Had my plan come together today. I wish it worked that way more often...

17-Oct-18
My pics upside down again sorry

17-Oct-18
Congrats Steveeg!

17-Oct-18
B@S Great encounter. Well played. Next time perhaps.

Steveeg , Well done. Chinese takeout!

18-Oct-18
Nice steve congrats. Thats a cool rack

18-Oct-18
Awesome Steve!

18-Oct-18
Nice job Steveeg!!

18-Oct-18
Congrats Steve!

18-Oct-18
Nice work Steve!

18-Oct-18
Congrats Steve!

18-Oct-18
WTG Steve _ Lets here how that plan came together !!

Thanks Will. It is an Elburg Jaguar Reflex Deflex longbow 53# @ 28". It is my best friend and traditional archery mentor's. I can shoot an additional 10 yds accurately with this compared to my flat bow. He harvested his first traditional deer with it almost 30 years ago and wanted me to do the same. So when I am setting up somewhere I know a 30 yd shot is needed, the Jaguar makes the climb with me. Problem is now I want one in the biggest way and they are really hard to find.

18-Oct-18
Good times everyone, congrats !

18-Oct-18
That's really cool B&S. Hope it comes together for you! Steve - post the funny leg pic! Amazing!

18-Oct-18
Did Steve bag a 3 legged buck ? Do tell

18-Oct-18

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
I’ve been scouting this spot often in the past 6 months waiting for the right time to go in. Last night the wind and front coming in, it would be perfect. There’s a good hillside tall pines and hemlocks leading down to the river. There was a tree I had picked out my first time in there. I grabbed the climber in there at 2pm. The big doe and three in tow come behind me browsing in then the rain come in with a good gust and spooked them into the clearing. An hour later the rain stops and just like Dana posted opening day they’ll move after the rain stops and as I turn to where the Does passed thru the buck was standing in the same spot as the last skipper was browsing. No shot at 20 yards then he turns to me jumps over a log and was holding his leg off the ground and took another step without using it. I knew I had to shoot him. He quartered away and that helped not have to track far at all. I’m not sure what’s happened to him no fresh wounds maybe last yrs broad head in there? Broken leg somehow? Maybe the butcher will let me know what he finds. What do you guy think?

18-Oct-18
Steveeg - Awesome!! Nice job. If everyone's plans always came together all the time - the excitement wouldn't be as intense!!!

18-Oct-18
I still think it’s more luck than good trust me. Blessed absolutely...

18-Oct-18
Way to go steve. I might go on the tree carnival ride after work.

18-Oct-18
Cool Steve.

18-Oct-18
Nice Steve, let us know what the butcher finds!

18-Oct-18
Awesome job !!! I vote hit by a car and was able to wander off

18-Oct-18
Good deal as the snow will probably be deep this year.

18-Oct-18
Bowandspear - what is a “walking weight”?

19-Oct-18
Ha MA_ Bow . I will have to find a pic to post. Last year I was trying to think of a way to add a little extra stimulation to the hunt. For when hunting thick woods and you call in a deer but he stands off not quite convinced there is really another deer there. I have had multiple encounters where I have rattled or grunted in a buck who because he is upwind stands off at a safe distance in cover and wont step into open lane for a shot. He is not totally convinced there is another buck there and cant get the wind to help him. Over calling blows it. So, I took two 8 oz diamond jigs (painted black) for fishing and rigged them on 100 lb mono leader (flouro of course :P ) with one at the bottom and the second about 18" up. I can connect that setup to my bow hoist line and drop it down to the ground once I am up in tree. Then i can lift and drop it and it sounds exactly like "two steps". Thump thump, thump thump. It ALMOST WORKED last year late season after I came up with it the once chance i got to try it. But then a second buck came in and ran him off. I think i over stimulated them lol. I have not been in hunting the thick stuff yet (where i can use it) this year but it will be with me frst trip in. Inspiration came from I think it was one of the Wensel Bros who would run through the woods pulling a line and a bunch of antlers dragging on the ground end, "trolling for bucks" .

• Sitka Gear