THP 19-Oct-18
Elk Noob 22-Oct-18
Big-Al 22-Oct-18
Elk Noob 22-Oct-18
Destroyer350 22-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 23-Oct-18
Elk Noob 23-Oct-18
17-Oct-18
Hey Everyone, i've been lurking for a bit and there is a ton of good information here. I'm heading to Unit 1 this weekend for a Cow hunt. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard it's a rough unit, but I'm relatively young and willing to put in the work to fill my freezer. Right now my plan is to park/camp on the Utah side and come in from the West.

18-Oct-18
there is another unit 1tag lingering onleftover list. get a friend to buy it and go with?

18-Oct-18
Not a bad Idea, I'll see if I can find someone. I usually hunt Solo, so I don't have too many options to reach out to.

18-Oct-18
Looks like that tag on the leftover got picked up. Good luck on your tag!

19-Oct-18
Elk, do you have a 4 wheeler? If so, cross the bridge at the main access and drive east to the alfalfa hill. Hunt directly above and around it and yes, it's very rough.

19-Oct-18
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I don't have a 4 wheeler. Can you make it over that swinging bridge with a Nissan frontier? I was hoping to but was going to have to assess it when I got there.

I'm used to hunting tough units, I spend most of my time in the Holy Cross Wilderness and usually hunt solo off my back. My late season Unit 11 hunt last year was the first of it's kind and I don't think I'd want to hunt that area again..

19-Oct-18
I drive my 3/4 ton service truck across the bridge without any issues (Just fold in my mirrors) A 4 wheeler would be nice to have on the rough road

22-Oct-18
Man, that was a dream elk hunt. From now on I am dreaming about the day I have a bow and either sex tag in the woods to experience that again. I had Bulls bugling from the moment I got there Friday night until I left Sunday afternoon.

I put in about 20miles in the 2 days I was there, but saw a ton of elk and got within bow range on some massive bulls. At least massive by my standards. Seriously an incredible hunt.

Edit: Oh, and I did get my cow Sunday morning. Almost had one at first light Saturday, but didn't feel comfortable taking the shot with it still being so dark.

22-Oct-18
It's a very cool place. I saw one of the biggest bucks of my life up there too--35" wide with double drop tines! Good job.

22-Oct-18

Elk Noob's embedded Photo
Elk Noob's embedded Photo
My grip an grin.

22-Oct-18
Heck yea! Congrats!

23-Oct-18
purchase some bacon and rap those tenderloins and grill med rare. Give me a call when done. Nice. Paul

23-Oct-18
Man those tenders were gone as soon as I got home haha. It was a small little cow so I didn't have that much, but man was it good.

• Sitka Gear