Contributors to this thread:
Belchertown Bowman 17-Oct-18
hickstick 17-Oct-18
spike78 17-Oct-18
jdrdeerslayer 17-Oct-18
Huntskifishcook 17-Oct-18
17-Oct-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
I knew it was a problem,.. but I did not realize it was this bad.

Link https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181017080814.htm

17-Oct-18
yea, I read about this last year....poor calves literally being bloodsucked to death by 10s of thousands of ticks. not good news.

17-Oct-18
Yup odds now of drawing a permit are slimmer every year. Talked to a Quabbin ranger who said they found one dead in the reservoir from ticks.

17-Oct-18
ya i used to see them weekly around my house (quabbin is across st) 6-8 years ago now maybe 1x a year. mass nh vt and southern me populations are way down because of the ticks

17-Oct-18
Minnesota just ended it's Moose hunt, NH and VT aren't far behind. I spoke with a guy from NH fish and game, he was telling me that deer have always existed in warmer climates so they have developed strategies to remove ticks from themselves, where moose have mostly existed in colder climates, never having to deal with ticks in the magnitude they now exist on the southern edge of their range. Hopefully they will evolve and learn to remove them. The Midwestern moose population is also dealing with a brain worm of some kind being transerfered by deer.

• Sitka Gear