Absolute Beginner
Arizona
Contributors to this thread:
NewCompound 18-Oct-18
Mulehorn 18-Oct-18
StickFlicker 18-Oct-18
NewCompound 18-Oct-18
18-Oct-18
My dad left me a compound bow and I'm starting to learn to shoot. I'd very much like to get involved in hunting, preferably sooner rather than later.

However, I'm 100% lost and not wealthy enough to hire a guided hunt for my first trip. My plan so far is to take the AZ hunter safety course and some archery lessons to tune up, but the question I have for you experienced folks is... What then?

Would you suggest the Intro to Bowhunting class offered at a place such as Archery Headquarters? Any other resources I should check out?

Appreciate any feedback.

18-Oct-18
I can’t speak for the Archery Headquarters class but the Az hunter safety course is a good place to start. Dec. Jan deer hunting is just around the corner and with enough practice you can be hunting by then. If you need any help pm me and I will gladly help. Congrats on getting started!

18-Oct-18

StickFlicker's Link
Welcome to our sport! Christian Hunters of America have free seminars a month or two before the season for certain species (Javelina, Elk, Turkey and sometimes Antelope). I'm not sure why they don't have one for deer? Other than saying a prayer at the beginning of the event, they don't push any type of religious agenda. They are just there to help new hunters to learn.

Anyway, javelina is a great beginners animal for the bowhunter. Once drawing results are announced, CHA should announce the date for their javelina seminar. If you didn't apply for a tag, there will be lots of leftover tags available after the results of the drawing are announced in a couple of weeks. There are also over the counter (OTC) tags for javelina as well as deer, although bowhunting success for deer is much lower than javelina in AZ.

18-Oct-18
Thank you both for the feedback! Looking into the Christian Hunters javelina seminar, seems like a great option to start with.

• Sitka Gear