Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
bigcountry 18-Oct-18
Will 18-Oct-18
brokenarrow 18-Oct-18
Huntskifishcook 18-Oct-18
bowandspear 18-Oct-18
18-Oct-18
Hi all. Had a great day yesterday afternoon. Went to a new spot with no knowledge of the deer in the area or anything. Figured, it's not my place where I know there are big bucks so figured I would take a Doe if it presented herself. During the pouring rain shower yesterday afternoon, a nice big doe in the new spot I got came in, offered a perfect broadside shot at 18 yds, nothing in the way....so I thought. You guessed it. Twang!!! of a small branch with no leaves on it that I never even saw. Arrow stuck in the ground in front of her. She jumps, stands 30 yds away in some thick stuff for 20 minutes, another smaller doe comes in and they walk off feeding like nothing happened. 15 minutes later, here she comes again with the other doe too. Doesn't offer a shot this time but a nice spike is behind her. They stand feeding and looking around for about 20 minutes, he starts grunting and walks up to her rump and bumps her and they both bolt. He's grunting the whole time. Like it's the middle of the rut or something.....fun to see... Didn't get the deer but maybe it was the best thing that could have happened. Got to see some cool stuff before they all left.....season is still so young.....Good luck to everyone out there...Be safe.

18-Oct-18
That sounds super fun!!! Cool encounter BigCountry! How's BB?

18-Oct-18
thats awesome! sorry for the branch deflection though. any time i get to observe deer unnoticed in there natural state is like gold expierence points.

18-Oct-18
Sorry you missed out on the meat, but sounds like an awesome experience! Atleast it was aclean miss.

18-Oct-18
Very cool. You will get him next time. Make a note of it for next year. Actually 30 days from now you will be in the rut and spike stew could be on the menu.

• Sitka Gear