Surfbow 22-Nov-18
KHunter 22-Nov-18
Ziek 22-Nov-18
Surfbow 22-Nov-18
Quinn @work 24-Nov-18
Quinn @work 24-Nov-18
Nick Muche 24-Nov-18
18-Oct-18
I have a 4th rifle deer tag and hope to find someone who wants an entire mule deer - buck. I have 2 elk tags to so no need for deer. Also ideas on how/where to donate it also good.

18-Oct-18
If you can get it processed the Denver rescue mission will happily take it. I take them a cooler full 2 days before thanksgiving every year.

21-Oct-18
I have a friend who has a Ukranian family living with him. They left the Ukraine because of the war, and are starting up a new life here. Two college professors, but the father is working two jobs, taking an English class and reinventing himself as an electrician. Two children as well....great folks. I know they would appreciate as well.

24-Oct-18
Does the “entire mule deer buck” include the antlers?

27-Oct-18
Maybe just don't shoot anything if you don't want the meat.......

28-Oct-18
X2 Firsty

28-Oct-18
X3 Firsty.

28-Oct-18
X4

28-Oct-18
Count me as #5

28-Oct-18
Yeah, why kill it if you aren't going to eat it?????

29-Oct-18
I thought the same thing, but in reality if the meat doesn’t go to waste, does it matter who eats it? Whether it’s a friend, bowsite friend, or needy family? How many guys eat the 5-10 animals they kill in Africa? They go for one reason, to kill.

All this being said, I treat the elk and deer I kill like red gold and cherish ever piece. Just some food for thought.

29-Oct-18
I was lucking enough to kill an elk this year and that does not always happen by a long shot. My daughter killed a antelope. I have a deer tag and hope to kill one in November. If that happens my freezers are getting full! But my daughter has has a late season deer tag out east. If she kills one we will have more meat than we can eat in a year. I am not going to tell her she can’t hunt. Doubt I would give whole deer away but probably will give equivalent of about a whole deer to who ever wants some meat. Don’t see a problem that.

At least the OP is trying to firgure it out before he goes on the hunt. Hopefully he does not give it to someone that does realize how good it is and then they want to start bowhunting and crowding the woods even more!

31-Oct-18
Of course, the conversation changed from what Don originally asked and only took 4 posts! I've since moved from CO but Steve's Meat Market in Arvada used to participate in the 'Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry' program. Not sure if he does now but might give him a call. Best of luck on your hunt! No comment on the other posts as I plan on doing exactly what Don is doing later this year on the property I hunt whitetails as the doe to buck ratio, as deemed by the wildlife biologist, is too high.

31-Oct-18
Check out page 15 of the big game regs, donating game meat, to cover yourself legally.

01-Nov-18
X6 Fristy.

01-Nov-18
Would you guys take issue with a guy hunting bear, and donating all of it because he doesn't like bear meat? We need bears harvested so our DWM's aren't running bear calls 24x7, and we need to encourage hunters to take them.

In places like Alaska, it is common to donate it all, caribou, moose, bear, whatever.

At some point hunting is about game management and getting animals killed, be careful where the line gets drawn. I get the nonhunting public perception of eat what you kill, but someone will eat it if donated.

01-Nov-18
Since this will turn into one of THOSE kinds of threads.... I doubt there is a chance of DWM's running deer calls 24-7. It seems the line is drawn at not making use of something you've killed. Kill it and get rid of the meat isn't what hunting is to me and I am happy to see I'm not alone. To donate this amount of meat requires a like licence.

02-Nov-18
"To donate this amount of meat requires a like licence"

To donate this amount of meat "to an individual" requires a like license.

02-Nov-18
This thread is like the political environment...

If someone doesnt 'agree' with your point of view, they are wrong.

SMH...

02-Nov-18
That is the truth CNelk. I feel it is very wrong if someone kills something without any intention of eating it and is just interested in the kill. It's sad that morals and ethics in hunting are "just an individual point of view".

02-Nov-18
Each year I INTENTIONALLY buy tags only to give the meat away.

I have lots of friends/family that like wild game but dont hunt or they werent successful that year.

Believe me, they are grateful

02-Nov-18
Grasshopper is spot on as is cnelk. It's about game management and killing is part of it. Ucsdryer stated it well that the meat isn't going to waste. That one mule deer would feed a LOT of hungry people but since the hunter isn't going to consume it then nobody should benefit? Odd way of thinking given we rely on the CPW to set the animal objectives and goals. I suspect none of those 5 or 6 that say don't kill something YOU aren't going to eat wouldn't turn in a tag when their freezer got full.

Treeline, hypothetically saying your household can consume an elk and a deer for the year. If you had taken an early season buck and an OTC cow elk, would you have turned in your Unit 2 tag since you wouldn't need the meat? You don't have to answer as we all know what it would be. WB it's called hypocrisy "the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform" and quite the norm for Bowsite.

02-Nov-18
This site needs like buttons.

How many guys eat the carp, prairie dogs and coyotes they shoot? If you do, I've got a place I'll let you shoot dogs and yotes at....

02-Nov-18
But.... But... But.... Steve,,,, thats different! :)

02-Nov-18
Guess if it tests positive for cwd, you need to eat it if that is the standard....

02-Nov-18

02-Nov-18
Apparently that logic is a HOOT, Hoot.

02-Nov-18

02-Nov-18
I do, but I am not sure you do Hoot. Going hunting for the kill and not the meat is disappointing to say the least. Don't forget the hero pic though...

03-Nov-18
I’ve given away plenty of game meat over the years as well.

Typically after I have brought it home and butchered it myself.

A lot of work, but a big part of why I hunt is to ensure that the meat is well taken care of for my family or whoever else that eats it to enjoy.

My family has a ranch in Texas and every year they have to shoot more deer than they can use to keep the population in check. They typically donate anywhere from 10 to 20 deer a year to church groups that will then use that meat to help feed the local community.

For some reason the Don’s post hit me off a bit and my first reaction was the same as Firsty’s.

Don was trying to be proactive and find someone here that might want a deer. That action should be commended and applauded by hunters rather than condemned.

I apologize for my earlier post.

03-Nov-18
Good luck Don! Hope you get a good buck!

03-Nov-18
Since we've gone down the rabbit hole...if he said, "I'm at least keeping the backstraps and tenderloins, but who wants the rest?" I may have felt differently, but he's not even keeping the traditional 'best' parts...I just don't get that. I hope he shoots a buck that tastes great to the lucky person that ends up with the meat...

04-Nov-18

Dirty D's Link
I agree with many of the others that I love being in a position to donate meat to family and friends. And I've been fortunate enough in the past to consider donating to food banks that have programs in place to accept wild game and would still consider it in the future. However, I feel l there's a thin line between these actions and crossing over into the greedy category. I've known guys with full freezers that continue to go out and shoot limits of ducks or fish or deer or elk and I distinctly remember thinking that at some point, it seemed a little greedy. I also think when a guy crosses that line our perception as Sportsman is greatly diminished with the non-hunting public. I even feel guilty when I'm fortunate enough to fill both my elk tags and sometimes I feel a little guilty for even buying two! I realize our Wild game is a shared resource and the guy that continues to take from that resource is really taking from everyone. I wish I could quantify it in some other fashion and it seems Parks and Wildlife has tried with regards to their regulations, but I do think there's a line that can be crossed.

I've had many conversations over the years with non-hunters or even anti-hunters and by the time we're done talking, nine times out of 10 they're congratulating me for being a bow hunter and for providing for my family in the fashion that I do. But I'm terrified what the future holds for a way of life so many of us hold near and dear when the voting public perceives our actions in a negative light.

And to Steve's question regarding how many of us eat carp, coyotes or prairie dogs see my link above, ha!

04-Nov-18
I think it is worse to kill a bunch of animals and only keep the back straps and tender loins.

05-Nov-18
Tavis, stated very well and this was my exact point. "My family has a ranch in Texas and every year they have to shoot more deer than they can use to keep the population in check. They typically donate anywhere from 10 to 20 deer a year to church groups that will then use that meat to help feed the local community." Don and others are trying to do the same, myself included. In Oklahoma, I can take 6 deer on my lifetime license, another 2 on a controlled hunt and another 1 on an anterless holiday season around Christmas. Will I shoot 9 deer? NO. Would I if I could? NO. BUT, the land I hunt needs population reduced so I plan on taking 2 maybe 3 does and donating 1 to the landowner and the other 2 to a local church.

05-Nov-18
You ain't getting my backstops PECO, those are reserved for my wife and folks who help carry my meat out the mountains...

13-Nov-18
Thousands of deer get killed by beef eaters every year and a lot of the good venison goes to families in need. I think its great your reaching out to bowsiters to see if they know anyone in need. Nothing like giving someone a full freezer for there family right before Christmas.

13-Nov-18
Thousands of deer get killed by beef eaters every year and a lot of the good venison goes to families in need. I think its great your reaching out to bowsiters to see if they know anyone in need. Nothing like giving someone a full freezer for there family right before Christmas.

15-Nov-18
GMU=Game MANAGEMENT Unit.

I see several high profile hunters giving away meat every year, don't hear or see the complaints headed their direction. I'm pretty sure the regs don't specify who has to eat the meat, just that there isn't wanton waste. I've been the recipient of meat in the past, it was much appreciated.

19-Nov-18
Does it really matter who's mouth the meat is going into. I give away more half the meat I kill to non hunters. They appreciate it and support hunting when it comes up politically. Some have even decided to take up hunting just for the meat. I guess that's a bad thing in some people eyes. I have taken 13 animals in 4 states this year. It's just my wife and I, we obviously can't eat that much meat. I bring it to work at the firehouse and the guys love it. I also give it neighbors that like it. I hunt because it's what I love to do. If I only killed what my wife and I could eat I would have to figure out how to kill half and elk and then quit hunting for the year. Where would you draw the line on who could eat it, immediate family, extended family, neighbors, best friends that are like family, or homeless people living at shelter? That would be bad wouldn't it if I killed an animal and donated it to a homeless shelter (guilty). I am amazed at what I read on bow site. Glad I spent the last 4 weeks whitetail hunting and not on the bow site.

19-Nov-18
The real question is does Don V have a deer to give away?

21-Nov-18
I did not get a deer but I found someone out there who would have been thrilled to take it. Every year back home I get a doe or too to donate to FHFH

For all you bashers I am starting a thread so you can bash the fhfhf - and all the positive images it gives hunters. Please post how bad it and wrong it is.

I drew 2 elk tags, 2 deer tags, 2 gator tags and a sheep tag this year ignoring Ohio deer I can hunt on my own property - and my kids. I guess ethically I am terrible huh? You guys hop to NOT have good luck in the draw right? Because you cannot eat all the meat if you and family all draw?

Thanks to logical intelligent guys out there and the rest of you get on with your dislike of fhfh.

21-Nov-18
the more i read on these threads, the more i dislike this site..

21-Nov-18
Seems like a great organization. Helping people who are less fortunate.

21-Nov-18
very good organization with good way to help people need and caring people. and that is somehow a problem??????????

22-Nov-18
Who bashed FHFH?

22-Nov-18
i guess you bashed FHFH Surfbow...albeit indirectly with your judgmental statement “why kill it if you will not eat it” . A very broad statement againt hunting if you do not plan to eat the meat personally regardless of the situation.. Good on you for choosing to not share the bounty with others. and judging others who do want to share the bounty.

FHFH specifically provides a way for guys to do the hunting they love to do and kill stuff they will not eat and give it to FHFH to distribute to folks who NEED meat. DonV was willing to forgo that approach to directly and positively impact someone in the bowsite community. Pretty nice.

in good years I have more tags than, if I fill each tag, I could possibly consume. Every year I apply for 30-40 tags same as thousands of other hunters. In great years I get to give away meat, which I really enjoy doing....so much so that I will go on one of my later hunts knowing I can’t possibly eat the meat...and yet I go on the hunt because I love hunting and never have trouble finding an appreciative home for any excess meat.

No matter how full my freezer, if I draw a tag that takes lots of points such as DonV had, I am hunting it even if holier than thou bowsiters such as Surfbow, Firsty, Stix, Dirty D, Highcounty-co do not approve. I will sleep just fine...

Happy Thanksgiving y’all.

22-Nov-18
While this topic has morphed into something other than intended, it does bring up an important point. I know it's something my wife and I frequently consider.

Our passion is not like golfing, or many other RECREATIONAL activities. It is consumptive, with in many cases, restricted access to participation. The more you kill, the less chance someone else will have. While wildlife management is always a concern, it's more an excuse for what we love to do. None of us spend copious amounts of money and time to "manage" wildlife. And while enjoying the meat, either for our own families or others who may enjoy/need it, is absolutely required, the latter is a bit closer to commercial hunting than I'm comfortable with. (You get to "sell" the meat for more hunting opportunity than you need for your own needs). Like many/most of us, we also donate excess bounty with others. But I can understand and take into consideration excessive consumption without getting defensive.

Both my wife and I hunt, but we both restrict our passion based on our needs. If we are both elk hunting, as soon as one of us kills we are both done. This year my wife received an archery cow moose tag. I was pretty sure she would be successful, so except for her bear tag (she's never killed a bear, and still hasn't), we didn't even try to fill any other tags. As you may be able to discern, I don't see this as black and white. You may have personal goals/reasons occasionally to have to plan on donating meat. But I also don't understand those that hunt every opportunity, every year, with a plan to donate much/most of what they kill.

22-Nov-18
Great thoughts Ziek, you're right, being consumptive is the issue. There's a big difference between being good steward of resources we are VERY fortunate to have and killing just to kill. I share the meat in my freezer with non-hunters all the time, it gives me great pleasure to do so, I did it again today! Khunter, you can 'guess' again...

24-Nov-18
DonV I'd love to hear about your hunt even if it was a rifle hunt. I lived in that area for many years and know it well. I hope you had a good hunt and I'm sure you did. Not all of us have to kill something to have a great hunt. I appreciate you wanting to donate the meat if you could.

My family once again appreciated the chance to donate a cooler full of processed elk/venison to the Denver rescue mission this year the day before Thanksgiving. There were most appreciative and it's a good feeling helping out those in need and my kids get a better understanding of how good they have it not being in a position where those people are day day to day. Although I feel most of the people on the receiving end of our donation could be productive members of our society there's alway a percentage that really have no other option. It's a learning experience for my fortunate kids to give to those that don't have. Good for you!

24-Nov-18
While we always give the day before thanksgiving we also give 80% of what we have to give to non-hunters. This always has a positive outcome with the non-hunters that could vote either way when it comes to hunting. Luckily 100% of them will now support hunting because they see the value of wild game meat.

24-Nov-18
Don, maybe you see this one here but not sure. Can you tell us about the sheep hunt? That would be way more fun than complaining about donating meat to families in need.

• Sitka Gear