DeerDan 07-Dec-18
bigbuckbob 07-Dec-18
bigbuckbob 07-Dec-18
jax2009r 07-Dec-18
Garbanzo 07-Dec-18
19-Oct-18
Bridgeport Hartford 0 shot ?

19-Oct-18
Where in west haven are people shooting deer? Ones that happen into their backyard? Lmao

19-Oct-18
westport ia a grey area.....town law . that wont stand up in court. i used live and hunt there.

19-Oct-18
Numbers are down, but I'm sure the warm weather had something to do with that.. and the rain

19-Oct-18
The hunting guide now says Westport hunting not allowed. Could be an issue for the people whom checked them in. Under the hunting tab states hunting prohibited in westport.

19-Oct-18
That’s f&$!? Up. Yup can’t hunt in Westport! Landowners too?

19-Oct-18
More people shot in Hartford than deer!

05-Dec-18

airrow's Link

05-Dec-18
Arrow I think Redding is making a come back a lot of does on camera .

05-Dec-18
There are no empty spaces in nature. Life will trickle in and occupy every sq. inch as per design. It is foolish to believe humans can change the original design.

05-Dec-18
numbers are always down on low acorn years and windy years

05-Dec-18
Humans change wildlife more than any other impact. Parking lots, skyscrapers, airports, highways, and hunting. Several species were wiped out by commercial hunting and sport hunting keeps the herd in check. Not sure why you think otherwise six.

05-Dec-18
Jax2009r - “numbers are always down on low acorn years and windy years”

Actually the opposite is true of low acorn abundance..........The deer harvest numbers are higher on low acorn abundance years. High acorn abundance years equates to lower deer harvest numbers.

Acorn Abundance - The past 24 years of data on acorn abundance and deer harvest rates suggest that a correlation exists between hunter success and acorn abundance (Figure 6). In 1993, when acorns were abundant, hunter success was one of the lowest recorded, and in 2004, when acorns were scarce, the hunter success rate was the highest. During years with low acorn productivity, deer travel more to access other food sources, such as green fields, increasing their vulnerability to hunters. In 2013 and 2014, the acorn-success pattern was inconsistent and may have been influenced by warm weather during the hunting season. During the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the abundance of acorns and warm weather resulted in lower hunter success rates. On average, the acorn crop statewide has been moderate most years, scarce about every 5 to 6 years, and abundant every 4 years.

06-Dec-18
@BBB: Because we are not that big as we want to believe, just go to Canadian tundra, Alaska, or Newfoundland to have humbleness descend upon you. Our so called changes are temporary or very close to non-existent in the grand scheme of universe things.

07-Dec-18
I'm going by personal experience.

I hunt 3 properties. When there are acorns, I see and kill deer.

Years such as this one, I see very few deer, and haven't scored yet.

I really don't care what some 'report' says. There are other factors involved.

How many more deer are killed over bait because deer don't have acorns? How much has the kill gone up in zones 11 and 12, and the kill gone down in the other zones?

I'm not buying what this 'report' is selling.

07-Dec-18
Deer eat more than just acorns! I have good luck around patches of brier and wild barberry bushes, especially when there's no acorn crop.

07-Dec-18
air - you must be hunting their feeding area, but I agree that deer move more when the food is scarce, therefore more opportunities to harvest one. It's very difficult to get close to deer when he feeds and beds in a small area, just my experience.

07-Dec-18
six - I think you're trying to compare man's impact on HUGE open spaces vs the lower 48 where the population is located. Even in the big woods of Maine you can manipulate the deer by clear cutting tracts of land creating desirable browse, and the deer will move in. If you're saying that has no impact on the TOTAL deer herd of Maine, I would agree. I think I'm looking at the micro and you're looking at the macro impact.

07-Dec-18
AIRROW...Sorry i crossed it up....windy years I know that numbers are down...

07-Dec-18
Westport is crawling with deer. Never seen them when I was growing up there, but they are all over the place now.. My guess is White Buffalo is going to start lobbying the town to cull the herd. Probably will take someones Audi or BMW to get totaled before anyone will request the town change the ordiance

• Sitka Gear