UrbanHunter 19-Oct-18
brooktrout59 19-Oct-18
Will 19-Oct-18
brooktrout59 19-Oct-18
TT-Pi 19-Oct-18
Sosso 19-Oct-18
TT-Pi 19-Oct-18
19-Oct-18
Had the weirdest encounter I have ever had hunting last night in my cornfield blind.

Got in the blind at 3:15, wind perfect, no sightings except feral black and white cat and some beautiful cardinals and blue jays having a great time with the recently cut corn and stalks.

Fast forward to last light. Checked my peep after draw , little blurry so decide to pack up. As soon as I put my arrow in my quiver, Big Doe and 2 little ones come into field from my left, upwind and 40 yards away. Doe on full alert pacing back and forth as I grab my arrow it starts blowing and whistling like crazy and then white flags as they head across the field. Game over or so I thought.

Get my gear together, put on my headlamp and having to take a leak before my long trip to my truck. While going Same Doe comes 20 feet from my blind a, starts blowing , whistling and stamping as I am going. Would not let up, talking 5 minutes easy.

Finish, open the blind door and deer are in field 50 yards away, just standing there looking at me.

Only thing I can think of was another fawn or small deer was in the field to my left , north. Maybe Momma would not leave one behind. Really strange, never had that happen before. Crazy Doe.

19-Oct-18
I think she likes you. Perhaps she just couldn't figure out what is what. Is this a threat or not? Perhaps it's a genetic blip.

From studies on some other wild animals, it appears that the number of "odd ones" is about 10%. In my experience, it seems to hold true to deer as well.

Maybe most of them get shot. The point is that the (this may not be a real word ) "Domesticability" is a genetic condition that must have some evolutionary advantage as with other random traits that crop up. Many traits lead to nothing good. Like curiosity. Some do. Like curiosity ... But that "get along with other species gene" or "I'll take a chance gene" seems to run through the animal kingdom. Some people have it too...

Maybe she is one of those that will be your backyard buddy and get herself a name so you can't easily make a meal out of her... She could be so lucky.

19-Oct-18
Assuming they didnt wind you I would say when she stepped out she saw your blind and didnt like what she was seeing.

19-Oct-18
TT-PI... the "10% odd ones" makes sense... I think I am only capable of killing those 10% odd/dumb deer... I like to think I providing a valuable service to the deer community...

19-Oct-18
This lady had a screw loose for sure. I have had deer come back after I shot a deer , and hang around. I have had deer blow , stomp, for a few seconds etc .This was different. Almost like she was screaming at me. I do have a screen in my blind but clearly the Doe could see my headlamp moving and still stood there 20 feet away going nuts whistling, blowing, stamping for a full 5 minutes.

19-Oct-18
Maybe with the headlamp she just could not figure out what was going on, and it didnt seem "dangerous" but didnt seem safe. Usually they just run, but maybe, as Pi said, she was just one of the curious or thrill seeking deer out there.

Literally decades ago, there was a button buck that would hang out in a field about a mile into the woods behind my parents house. It would walk into the field at about 4 almost every day. I tried to belly crawl to it, stood up about 20yds away and it looked at me. So I walked straight at it. No joke, I almost touched it's tail (as a teen, one will take risks that may not be worth it). Then it ran off. I figured that was that. Nope, I got to do the same thing, but no longer needed to belly crawl. The dang thing would just feed around and let me walk up to 5yds or so then bound off. No idea if it made it through the season :)... But mentalities like that are out there in deer land. Maybe your doe was like that skip - though as a skip, he had a good excuse to be dense... Usually does run first and ask questions later.

Wonder if you will see her again or if she's just all worked up about the spot now?

19-Oct-18
On one of our Allagash trips years ago, we camped on an island in a lake and as we were having beer and peanuts deer walked up to us and we could almost feed them out of our hand. These deer were nearly tame in the middle of the North Maine woods as campers must have been feeding them for years.

19-Oct-18
Yep, that is what I was getting at. My wife talks to the deer that enter the yard. I'm always saying, " please don't domesticate them, honey" Some stick around and don't get too buggered even with our dogs. Others, most, just skedaddle.

From a good nature show, I saw the domestication of wild foxes and the process of breeding out the wild ones or more specifically breeding for human compatibility. Some ( about 10 % ) were just simply human-friendly and most were so-so but some were on the aggressive end, very wild. Eventually, after several breedings, the select ones were acting like our common house pets.

Maybe that's not exactly what Brook-t experienced ( more likely as Proline said or somewhere in between... ) but it seems that Will found one for sure.

19-Oct-18
Sounds like she couldn't figure out what you were, but wanted everyone to know that you are wrong for the area.

19-Oct-18
"Thrill-seeking " deer. Funny concept. But, Sosso is probably right. Something is just wrong about this thing!

• Sitka Gear