Jimbo 19-Oct-18
Notme 20-Oct-18
carpediem0881 20-Oct-18
Proline 20-Oct-18
arch2112 20-Oct-18
bigwoodsbucks22 20-Oct-18
Arkansas 20-Oct-18
19-Oct-18
So I’m not the most comfortable in high places but I know my best chance at getting a deer is from a stand, what’s the minimum I need to be at?

19-Oct-18
I hunt a Minimim of 15ft up...back drop and cover is super important...you can get away sitting lower in a nice pine if possible

19-Oct-18
You can shoot deer from the ground so there really isn’t a minimum. Two things are important; your comfort level at a specific height and as 8’s stated your back drop. Break up your outline and move very slow and you can do it from the ground.

19-Oct-18
I've shot deer at 8ft, 10ft, 15 ft. I'd say minimum safe it 10, but any height above eye level with good cover/backdrop will increase your odds. I won't go above 15. Don't like the angles close range, and feel anything over that is excessive. That's just my experience and comfort zone

19-Oct-18
It really depends on the situation for me. anywhere from 8-30 feet

19-Oct-18
I try to stay sub 20 and the longer I hunt, the lower that number seems to get (given I'm elevation challenged).

If you hunt with a fixed position, a good branchy hemlock is the gift of gifts. You are almost in a blind with all the branches and dark needles. I had a stand years ago in Z6 where the base of the platform was face high, but the branches of the tree made it like a cave that was 6 feet up. I LOVED that spot. Shot several deer there. That was the lowest stand for me. Recently I had one that I could touch the platform from my tip toes, that was in a white pine snuggled into a hemlock.

In the climber I go about 15 most of the time, occasionally less. Occasionally, Ill go higher, but I dont like it.

19-Oct-18
Agreed will my favorite trees to set up in are hemlock and small beech trees say 10”DBH . I think the background is more important than the height like others have said honestly

19-Oct-18
Not a fan of heights either. Shot most deer on average of 12 feet. I love hemlocks like Will but rarely are they where I want to be.

19-Oct-18
Rarely below 20 feet... prefer 25... have been as high as 30.

20-Oct-18
"Respect the fear" I used to tell myself running rafters at 40ft up..but standing on that tiny platform at 15ft scares me..beech and pines for me or a good brushed in back drop

20-Oct-18
Climb as high as you are comfortable, get there and you might find it’s jot so bad. It gets easier, practice climbing at home if you can. I love using my climber for afternoon hunts, in the am, I’m too lazy to climb and stick to my stands.

20-Oct-18
Like above only go as high as u are comfortable. Being nervous is the last thing u want in your mind wen u draw on a deer. That said I used to do 15ft to bottom of platform. About seven years ago I tried 20 and I can say as fact that extra 5ft of height aids tremendously in not getting winded.

20-Oct-18
20+ if I can. I use a climber primarily and like to move a lot. Sometimes the tree dictates how high I can go. Always like to have a beech, holly or hemlock behind me if possible.

20-Oct-18
As others said, theres no minimum. depends on the situation. from 3ft to 30ft.

20-Oct-18
I think it totally depends on your tree and terrain. Back home in open woods I would get 25-30 feet, especially later in the season. Here in Eastern MA, the thickness and cover has been such that 18-20 feels good. That may change after all leaves fall.

I would make sure you have a stand you are comfortable with and practice a lot. The other key is a good harness which helps you feel safe and connected to the tree.

• Sitka Gear