mrw 07-Nov-18
BruceP 07-Nov-18
Eastie778 07-Nov-18
hickstick 07-Nov-18
Eastie778 07-Nov-18
Les 08-Nov-18
hickstick 08-Nov-18
20-Oct-18
So now I’m thinking about saddles damn you guys. One question is if I hate heights which I do would I be more comfortable in a saddle or on a stand? Also, what would your pros and cons be and also what method do you use for climbing? I took the climber in the woods today and the damn thing got snagged on every sapling I walked by and I’m getting tired of looking for a climber tree. Every damn tree is either too big, crooked, behind another tree, too far away from runs, too many branches, F climbers.

20-Oct-18
I dont have one personally but i know people use the sticks or screw in steps to get up then u tend your slack out where are u located i could help u get a good set up an do things as safe as possible i climb trees as an arborist the kits u can buy in my eyes saddle ropes etc are great but i would set up something better personally that is safer and easier i can set a safety line from the ground vs using a landyard flipline which makes life alot easier im in the zone 11 area i am thinking about getting hunting saddle just cant spend the money right now tired of my stands getting stolen lol just got busted by a grey squerril

20-Oct-18
Climbers do limit you.

20-Oct-18
I wear my stand in and carry my sticks and my bow. Always feel safe, safe than a climber or a ladder IMNSHO. I'm not small either. Last week I climbed this twisted, leaning over swamp maple. Started with my first stick on one tree, then moved to the twisted one. Around branches and funky bands. 4 sticks only got me 15' off the ground, but that was enough. All I was missing was a deer!

20-Oct-18
Spike, I’m in my 5th year with a saddle. I think for most hunters you would be more comfortable in a saddle. Pro: I definitely feel totally secure in it. I’ve purposely tried to fall out and couldn’t. Con: If you have bad knees it may be a challenge but with good gel knee pads it should even things out. I use sticks and screw in steps (cranford). They go in the best. I leave 3-4 step section up in the tree and use screw-ins for the first 3 steps. Pro: You can’t get your stand stolen. Most hunters don’t even know your there. I’ve have several hunters walk past and never notice my set up (I have cameras at all my set up 12-15’ high) Like MRW, I wear it going in and it’s quiet. Pro: more shooting freedom and you can conceal yourself behind the tree. Con/Pro: it’s expensive but it’s the only stand you will buy. Pro: It’s quiet to get up into the tree. Pro: it’s a multi tasker; Doubles for dragging your deer and makes for easy napping (remember you can’t fall out).

20-Oct-18

peterk1234's embedded Photo
Live and dead branches on the way up. No problem with my setup. I even used a couple of branches as a platform. one branch was actually dead, but who cares? I am tethered and under tension.
Live and dead branches on the way up. No problem with my setup. I even used a couple of branches as a platform. one branch was actually dead, but who cares? I am tethered and under tension.
Spike..... climbers are dead to me. Man where do I start?

Quiet - It is super quiet. No metal 'nough said. I have never been so silent climbing and setting up the hang.

Super compact - I just use a rock climbing harness and a modified sitdrag. I wear in the car, to the tree, and back home.

So comfortable - sit, lean, whatever you want. Get some knee pads so you can brace against the tree when you sit. I also use a backband which makes the whole set up feel like a lounge chair. It is just a one and half inch strap from a duffle bag.

I use Wild Edge steps to climb and for a platform. One of my steps have two Ameristeps threaded through the rope, so I can move around the tree if I really have to. I use a total of five steps to climb to about 22 feet and set up a platform (platform is two steps). I use a knaider and swaider to help me get to that height with such few steps. My entire climbing system fits into my backpack.

Safe - At a minimum, you are climbing with a lineman belt. When at height you have the lineman, but then set the tether in place. From the tether you hang; tether always under tension, so no shock load if for some bizarre reason you fall off of your platform. I have to say, you have to actually try to that.

I have not had any deer under me yet during legal shooting times but I did mess around with a half dozen turkeys the other day. They went by me, maybe fifteen feet from my tree. Never saw me as I moved around the tree playing hide and seek.

Each time I climb down and start to head out I think I am forgetting something. Everything is almost packed as my feet hit the ground. It seems too easy.

It will feel a bit weird at first, especially if you are goofy about heights. There is something different about hanging out there. But it goes away after your first long sit. It hit me the other day regarding how comfortable I am with the setup. I was always comfortable on hangons, but I always had to keep an eye on my toes. I was always working the edges of my stand :) You do not have to worry about anything in the saddle. This morning I climbed down from one tree, took a walk, found another location and climbed up. The tree was forked about fifteen feet up. No problem. Picked a fork and kept going up. Once I was in place, I noticed a thin tree about five feet away that had branches in my way. I just kept one foot on the platform and stretched until I could reach it, pull it to me, then break off the branches. That would be a no go with a hanger.

I could go on and on. Now I just need to figure the pattern of the deer in this new woods I am hunting and really put it to the test. Oh one last thing, you are up in a matter of minutes. Down is even quicker.

The attached pic is a tree I climbed the other day. Full of branches on the way up. Even had a couple of branches just a bit above my platform. I stood on the branches most of the afternoon. Try climbing that with a climber.

Pete

20-Oct-18
Thanks so far guys, I guess I will be around $500 broker next year lol. Yeah I’m starting to think this Is my best option. I just read about those Stepp Ladder steps today they look awesome.

22-Oct-18
I am strongly considering this as well

22-Oct-18
check out Tethrd nation.com or saddle hunter.com

22-Oct-18
I looked at the tethered site last night it looked like it’s all on backorderd ?

23-Oct-18
I highly recommend a sitdrag and rock harness combo. About 60 bucks gets you into a saddle and harness. Then you just need to purchase some rope for lineman, tether and bridge, and get some carabiners. Although I bet most of you already have some of this stuff lying around.

It is an inexpensive way to test out the system. You may end up like me though and find it stupidly comfortable. I keep trying to talk myself into a commercially made saddle, then I read about the comfort issues folks are having. I can fall asleep in my set up. If anything, I may purchase another sitdrag. Then make modifications to it through the things that I have learned.

If you already have climbing sticks then you do not need to invest in a climbing method. If you need a way up, then the WE Steps are worth considering. I love these things. And if you are willing to invest a little time in learning how to use an aider, I can show you how to get up the tree with just four (over 20 feet) and then adding one more to finish off your platform. Five steps will cost you around 100 bucks.

The mobility you get with this set up is unbelievable. I kick myself for not doing this ten years ago.

23-Oct-18
You are right about the tethryd site. I bought a size 1 Kestral from a friend and re sold it . I need a size two I think so I ordered one from Debbie. A real pleasure dealing with her and New Tribe. I think she said I`l have mine on the 9th. You might want to check with them. Good luck.

23-Oct-18
Saddle hunting is 30 yrs old but never caught on very well until now. Your probably out of luck for this season as both manufacturers are wks. out backordered. I decided to try it after one of perterk1234 live demos and got in early. First saddle was a Kestral from New tribe aero hunter. Then I saw the Mantis a brand new super lightweight saddle from a brand new company called Tethrd. I drank the Kool aid. I waited over 4 months to get this mantis and wow Its a game changer. My entire setup is about 6 lbs. I was and still am huge fan of lone wolf gear owning 2 sit and climbs and and alpha loc on as well as 2 sets of climbing sticks. However I have not used my lone wolf stuff except for the sticks this yr at all. I needed a light weight solution to hunt with after multiple back operations so I could continue to hunt and film. I need a full season with the Mantis and kestrel to see if this is the way to hunt. So far so good!

23-Oct-18
Spike - I was amazed at the "Saddle Get Together" that Peter put on, seeing Peter zip up the tree in what felt like nano seconds, and MRW, who is what, 6'5" or more do the same.

I sorta tried it, from my preferred hunting altitude of 2' :) and have to say, it is really comfy and I see how you really cant fall out of the thing. I liked the redundancy as well given you could be tethered AND have the linemans belt as well.

I have found myself debating it several times. Yesterday I tried a new block of woods in the evening. and the tree I ended up in was ok, but there were many that would have been better but were unsafe in the climber due to angles. They would not have worked with a hang on either.

That said, I also finding myself maxing out on height lower than in the past - it's like the older I get the more nervous I'm getting up there... I'm starting to think a Ghille suit will be my "saddle" in the not to distant future. I'd miss the view, I love that about stands...But being on the ground sure feels good :)

23-Oct-18
I’m disappointed I missed the saddle party, that would’ve been great. I was on bowsite last year a lot living vicariously through you guys and learning lots. When season ended I never logged back in. I did some scouting in the snow, Turkey season, I quit my old job which felt amazing and got a new job, striped fishing etc... in the summer. That mantis does look cool I keep finding myself limited by straight oak trees. Pine is messy, birch too slippery. Limbs angles all sorts of stuff killin my mojo. Definitely considering the saddle for next year we will see.

23-Oct-18
Will, I’m with ya as I’ve got it all covered except for a saddle. Blind, stool, ghillie, hand ons, climbers ugh.

23-Oct-18
Contemplating the saddle as well, guys that use them do you use climbing spurs or climbing sticks or steps.

23-Oct-18
Well I do have a arborist saddle I suppose I could try plenty of sticks. One question I do have is do you guys just hang the whole day or can you stand on a small platform if u want I don’t kno how much I would like facing the tree all day

23-Oct-18
My Mantis is coming in tomorrow. I could not be more excited. This morning I had a 1 hour hike in with my climber and camera gear through a nasty swamp. I was on my hands and knees crawling under branches trying to be quiet. I just smiled knowing this would be one of the last times humping all that crap making all kinds of noise. Will give you guys a good "newbie review" once I use it this weekend.

23-Oct-18
I’m really starting to hate my climber. All I needed to do was walk 100 yards behind my house and that damn thing got hung up on every leaning tree I couldn’t crouch down low enough and I’m only 5 ft 4!

23-Oct-18

This pack has everything in it except my bow. WE Steps, clothes (bulk clothes will get strapped to outside), food, water, calls, release, range finder, various straps and extra whoopie slings, etc.
This pack has everything in it except my bow. WE Steps, clothes (bulk clothes will get strapped to outside), food, water, calls, release, range finder, various straps and extra whoopie slings, etc.

peterk1234's Link
Treestalker, I am happy hanging all day. You really are not staring at your tree because you are hanging out there and have the ability to move around easily.

SneakPeak, I use steps. Here is a video of how I use them. The system just rocks, but I am biased :)

23-Oct-18

peterk1234's Link
Here is a video of my WE Step platform. I modified it by adding two ameristeps, just in case I need to get around the tree. Works great. Steps and ameristeps fit into the WE step bag easily, which then goes in my pack. I wasn't able to keep typing in the picture comment above, but field dressing kit, saw, clippers, compass and everything else is in that bag also. I could go to a much smaller pack too if I wanted to keep the steps separate, but the pack is so stable, that it is worth the extra bulk. Loaded up, I am carrying 20 pounds, and I could get it down to 15 if I really want. Weight is not as much an issue for me. It used to be bulk and clutter. Not anymore.

23-Oct-18

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Peter my 20” Gearhead bow fits in a backpack. It may be a saddle hunter dream.

23-Oct-18
Whoa... that is cool. Your setup will be ridiculous. You might even make through an acre of mountain laurels with that setup :)

23-Oct-18

peterk1234's Link
Try this with a climber, or even with sticks.............................. WE Steps are truly versatile.

23-Oct-18
Nice videos Pete I have one question what if you slip with the lineman’s belt? It looks like it would just slide you all the way down the tree?

23-Oct-18
There has been quite a bit of talk about that on saddlehunter.com. The key with the lineman belt is try to keep it above horizontal at all times. Theoretically, if that is done you will get hung up. You may get scratched up but that is it. You put yourself at risk when the line is not tight (you are not leaning against it), and when the line around the tree is below you waist.

I have not tested falling, nor do I plan to. But think about this; the guys that are climbing telephone poles have been doing it forever. You also have the option of crossing the lineman in front of you, but it will make it more cumbersome to climb. You can also add a rope that goes across the lineman between you and the tree that I believe is hooked with a prusik, that can help get you hung up if you fall.

Now with all that said, my rule is three points of solid contact at all times when climbing. Two hands and one foot or one hand and two feet.

Hope that helps.

24-Oct-18
goshdarnit....I thought I was done buying and making stuff....curse you Peter, now apparently I need to make a knaider and a swaider. lol

I did just swap out the leverage sticks for the steppladder steps last night...gonna give them another go on saturday with my whoopie aider. may have to wait til later to get the knaider/swaider going. lol

oh and technically the linemans belt/flip line is not a 'fall restraint' device, it's more of a 'fall prevention' device/third hand. meaning its not meant to stop you in a fall, its meant to make climbing/handing steps/hanging stands - safer buy allowing you a third contact to the tree (2 feet 1 rope) allowing you use of both hands to work. so in that sense it prevents falls that would otherwise take place hanging stands without the device.

24-Oct-18
I’m giving this a shot I have my old weaver and strap from when I climbed for a tree svc in high school still have plenty of rigging a few lone wolf steps just gotta figure out a platform if I like it enough I’ll invest in a lighter setup this winter I just gotta try

24-Oct-18
Just tried my Mantis out in the yard. Unfortunately running to a meeting for work so cant shoot from it now but wow, first off, shooting 360 degrees seems like way less of an issues than I expected. I honestly think this will be easier to shoot from in all directions than a stand. 2nd, the stability of shooting is awesome. I believe I will be more steady shooting from this than I am standing on a platform. You can really just lock yourself in. All in all, way less awkward than expected. Will practice tomorrow and do a full write up as a newbie to all this. I laughed at the fact that my whole new tree stand came in a tiny bag and weighed next to nothing. I am definitely going to be hooked on this.

24-Oct-18
I love hearing the new converts!

24-Oct-18
BWB22 - skip work tomorrow and write it up. You have me curious. That ability to carry as little as Peter showed and you describe... Maybe I could get over my heights thing.

24-Oct-18
Wear it to work

25-Oct-18
Just checked the wild edge website, 8-12 week back orders!! Whew, anybody have some extra Wild Edge steps they’re looking to offload? I got my rock harness/SitDrag combo ready to rock!

27-Oct-18

Since today was a washout (although some great scouting weather for me this morning), I decided to make some saddle tweaks.

I have to admit it at this point, I am just partial to the sitdrag/RC harness setup. It gives me some redundancy when hanging, but more importantly, it is incredibly comfortable. I really wanted to get a legit saddle, but I cannot imagine how something can be better than this. It just works great. With the season finally under way and four or five hunts, I am figuring out the things I would like to improve. Really not much, most of it has to do with hiking in and out. I used to wear the RC harness into the woods and pack the sitdrag. The problem with this is that the sitdrag with pouches holding my lineman and tether was just bulky when packed. It worked, but I really wanted the thing out of my pack.

So I started to wear it on the hike in. But the weight of the ropes was making the sitdrag slide down my skinny ass. I would really have to cinch the strap and buckle I had sewn on for it to hold for any amount of time. Then I realized that the RC harness had a load bearing loop on the back. So I clipped a carbiner to it and to one of the molle loops on the sitdrag. Ahhhh... major improvement in walking comfort.

I still had to keep the buckle fairly tight though, although there was no more issue of the thing ever sliding down again. I unbuckle the strap around my waist once I hook into my tether. Not sure why but I prefer the freedom of movement. As a result, I am finding that when it is time to buckle that bugger for the climb down it has become kind of a bitch when I have all my cold weather clothes on, so it got me thinking. What if I had some side attachments between the sitdrag and RC harness?

So here is my latest mod. I love it. Quite frankly, I really have no need for the buckle and strap around my waist anymore, although having it loosely buckled while I am hanging will be something I may want to try. Maybe it will help keep the sitdrag in the same spot around my body, not that I need adjust it much once I am hanging. But these two straps worked great on my test run. Now my harness and sitdrag are basically one unit; easy on and easy off. The sitdrag is still easy enough to remove so I can just use the harness on my scouting runs.

I am almost ready to say it is perfect for me. I have hunted down to 34 degrees and have not had any issue with clothing compression and getting a cold spot. The two pouches work well for my lines and it is nice to have the molle loops. Amsteel bridge at 32 inches works great, though longer or shorter would probably be fine as well. It is just that comfortable.

If you are looking for a cost effective and probably one of the most guaranteed to be comfortable setups, this is hard to beat. I think the sitdrag is 30 bucks shipped to your door and the Black Diamond BOD harness can be found for under forty. A little sewing and you are good to go (although you can probably get away with no sewing as well). Pete

27-Oct-18
Wow looks like I may have to get into this next year. Great vids Peter, they have sold me on trying saddle hunting.

27-Oct-18
Peter, your setup is awesome man, you just keep improving on it, and your a great spokesman for saddle hunting for sure! I, like you, keep tinkering with my setup. I love the sit and drag, added a foam pad to the seat and that part of my rig is perfect. I had to switch my harness to a super light weight model, which involved rigging a belt and loops for my linemans belt out of tubular webbing. Since I cant sew, that required some prefab loops and the old stand by, camo duct tape. Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing look, but it's safely attached, and works great. I dont rig my harness and sit and drag together, I just throw it over one shoulder, then slide it down once my tether is in position, hook up and I'm ready to go. I had the same issue as Peter with my harness slowly working it's way to my ankles, so I rigged in suspenders out of tubular webbing . This process as anyone who gets into it can attest to, is all personal preference. You get to completely customize every aspect. Your also tying your own knots, rigging your own tether, and choosing the harness/saddle that best suits your needs. You and you alone are responsible for your own safety. No reliance on someone else's weld, cable, safety strap; your checking your stand every time you put it on. Since I'm not fond of heights, I really like that aspect. I also really like facing the tree. Your pack is right in front of you, as well as your bow. Your also using the tree as a screen between you and the deer in most scenarios. Like Peter, I doubt I will ever use a stand of any kind again. Almost any tree is in play, your not stinking up an area because your rarely in the same tree. You can literally walk in and hunt fresh sign, with half the weight and none of the bulk of my climber. Wind bad for your stand? Cant find a good tree for the climber? These are no longer concerns for me. I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on saddle hunting! Come on man, you know you want to try it! Haha

28-Oct-18
TRY IT. I’m off the deep end with it. I bought both commercially available models and all the extras that go with them. Had a half dozen hunts so far out of them. Have seen deer but have not had the opportunity to shoot at a deer from either one yet. I’m in but not 100%. I have permanent stands on the ny ranch and nuthin beats just walkin in with a bow and safety harness and maybe some camera gear. Even that’s easy cuz I got camera mount bases on all the permanent stands.

28-Oct-18
On the private lands I am fortunate enough to hunt I have some pre-set trees with screw in steps. Hunted one of those this morning and that is the bomb! Walk in wearing my saddle, tether in my pocket and bow in hand - that's it. Up and hunting in no time, and super quiet. On public I just add my sticks on a strap over my shoulder to that setup. Although I am working on using the Stepps and aider/knaider like Peter, that setup is about ideal weight and bulk-wise.

28-Oct-18
This is interesting. I don't love heights either but finally got a tree stand this year after bumping a buck I'd been hoping to harvest on opening day. After climbing 4 trees with my sticks and prusik life line I feel much safer and more comfortable than I ever thought I would. To be able to get into it for ~$60 seems like a great way to hit a few new properties where I'm less confident about dragging in a stand or finding a suitable tree to mount it on.

07-Nov-18
I'm starting to get annoyed looking for good trees with my climber. School me on what I'd need to get setup with a saddle this year without breaking the bank and without waiting weeks for backordered gear please!

07-Nov-18

mrw's Link
Here's a video Dan Infalt did. It is about his new sticks, but you can see how he sets up on tree's you wouldn't normally think you could climb. I've had a couple of sits this year where I started in one tree, moved over to another, twisting around branches in what would otherwise be an un-huntable spot.

07-Nov-18
On the saddle part, if you want a commercially available saddle you're probably out of luck for this season, I think they are pretty backed up. If you want to do a DIY with the Sitdrag then read through Peter's posts and Google it. Lots of info out there.

07-Nov-18
Les, myself and Peter use a DIY saddle with a sit and drag, 35 bucks, and a climbing harness, between 25 and 60 or so depending on preference, mine was 30. Then you'll need rope for linemans belt and tether, I use 11mm, 20 bucks. I use the pre made prusiks, you'll need 3, one for your lineman belt, 8 for the sit and drag, and one for the harness, they are pretty inexpensive. Carbiners, again 3 for each attachment,5 to 10 dollars each, I like a light weight aluminum . I made my bridge out of the same 11mm rope. I bought everything on Amazon, and putting it together is pretty easy. I also recommend the rubber carbiner covers , cowbells, made my hunter safety system, they have them on the website . Go on YouTube and check out the DIY sportsmans video on putting together your own saddle, as well as G2 outdoors, both great chanel's, really walks you through the process. I use muddy aerolites for sticks. Good luck!

07-Nov-18
Les, if you go Eastie's route, please make sure everything you buy is climbing rated. ropes and 'biners...24kn, and only use locking 'biners.

07-Nov-18
Good point hickstick, I try to get the higher rated stuff, several thousand pounds. I think hickstick steered me toward the climbing rated stuff as well. I believe he was also the one that told me the ropeman mechanical prusik isnt rated for a fall, so just in case I use the old fashioned kind. Always better to be safe than sorry.

08-Nov-18
Thanks guys! I already have some of the stuff including the carabiners, rock harness, linemans belt and I just ordered the sit and drag. I'll check through the videos and see if I can get it together.

08-Nov-18
yes eastie that was me....and of course I went out and bought not 1 but 2 ropemans. lol (one for tether and one for the linemans flipline). used it three times now and so far very happy with it...I'll keep you posted. EDIT: I'm backing up my system by tying a Fig. 8 follow on the end of my tether and clipping it into the biner so if the ropeman fails I'll still be connected to the tether/saddle.

Greg at G2 Outdoors and Garret at DIY Sportsman are awesome. and Greg is very reachable on Saddlehunter.com

• Sitka Gear