Novice's embedded Photo
10/20/18 morning hunt
Novice's embedded Photo
10/20/18 morning hunt
Novice's embedded Photo
Head enemy
Novice's embedded Photo
Head enemy
Cannot say or preach this enough. Be safe out there and wear a harness. Last Saturday morning I climbed in the dark into a stand I had not personally sat in for 2 years (someone else in our party had this season, though.) The hang on is not easy to get into and the climbing stick tops out a little below the platform (error number 1.) As I reached to the branch to my right to boost myself up to step up and over onto the platform, I rammed my head into what I thought was another branch. It jarred me pretty hard and I saw a flash of white (a version of seeing stars I guess). Luckily, I hung on and was able to get on the platform and sit down. I could feel blood start to run down my head and face. I really was not sure what just happened and if I needed to call someone (safety tip-keep phone on you in the woods. ) I sat awhile hoping it would stop bleeding and I would not need an ER trip. I tried to use my phone camera to see the gash, but it was too far on top of my head. I texted my buddies, whom offered help right away. (Tip 2-make sure people know where you are.) Once it got light, I identified the culprit that cut me....A screw in tree step (must've been put there as a bow hanger.) Poor placement to say the least (right above the climbing stick and too low to reach conveniently. The bleeding slowed enough that I could climb back down and make it back to camp. Someone else was able to give me the hydrogen peroxide head wash and neosporin paste job. Last thing I wanted was to go to ER, so I let it play out and fortunately it clotted up enough to not require stitches. Moral of the story is be careful anytime out in the woods. Hang stands as safely as possible. Make sure your climbing stick goes above the platform so you can step down onto it, not reach up and over. And wear your harness. I admit I had mine on but it wasn't attached for the climb up. Will be checking into getting lifelines for stands now. Also, don't be afraid to use a flashlight in the dark. I hate to usually, but after this it could have prevented me from not seeing the sharp pointy object that penetrated my dome. Bottomline, just be mindful and aware of your surroundings. I love to hunt, but no animal is worth your life. Be careful!

23-Oct-18
Great reminder this time of the year....Thanks

23-Oct-18
Glad your ok. Don’t know why for sure but head wounds bleed like a sieve even small ones.

23-Oct-18
Thanks. The more that time goes by and nothing happens, it seems we get more comfortable and apt to overlook even small details. Took me many years before I consistently wore a harness. And even then didn't always have it connected when going up and down. Yeah, the head likes to bleed a lot. Must be that the skin is so tight. Unfortunately, not the first time I've smashed it open. At least no stitches this time.

23-Oct-18
I thought I heard you yelp in pain. And I was in Michigan. Glad it turned out ok.

23-Oct-18
Glad your ok. Lifeline is the way to go! And soooo simple to work with up and down.

23-Oct-18
That does got to hurt. Not much give in a tree step. Even on a shin they hurt. Head trauma should be looked at most times but maybe it just hurt & bleed a lot. Certainly a good reminder for us all.

23-Oct-18
Dang glad you're ok! A headlamp woulda helped out big time. The things we do to get a deer

24-Oct-18
Ouch! Glad you didn't pass out and fall though!

24-Oct-18
Does anyone know the best place to get lifelines and what is a reasonable price. I saw some at scheels. They were like $35. Definitely a small price to pay compared to your life, but am thinking that's about half the cost of most of the stands we would be attaching them to. Input?

24-Oct-18
Safety equip seems to difficult to find in many stores. When I do find a harness there us usually only brand available.

24-Oct-18
Shit happens.

24-Oct-18
Man it can happen so quick . A bruiser Buck was working my area .When leaving I decided to cross a small wet marsh & walk along the freeway to the Jeep .

I never saw the 100 year old piece of barbwire that I tripped over. I crashed facefirst. The arrow in my Lefthand missed my neck by inches . 2 arrows in my quiver bent & 1 glazed my r. Knee enough to bleed a little . Elbow & knee were sore . Limped to the Jeep thinking how CLOSE that was .

Be carefull gang .

24-Oct-18
Early October, 1981,...walking into my morning stand in the dark,...I was a wildness man, only pussies use flashlights, right?...yeah! I tripped over an unseen branch & blew out my knee,...hobbled & crawled back to the van,...missed a month of bowhunting & work,...still can occasionally feel it. DUMB! Use a flashlight, that's why they make 'em!

24-Oct-18
By the way . That was tonites accident.

OH , A guy did pull over to see if I was ok .

24-Oct-18
More examples, which serve as gentle reminders. Sometimes our pride gets in the way too I guess. Glad you guys are here to talk about it. Not sure when I quit using a flashlight while walking in and out, but I guess I'll take spooking a deer over a stick in the eye or blowing out a knee. Glenn, I hate barbed wire!

03-Nov-18

albino's embedded Photo
albino's embedded Photo
I have been using just ladder stands since I moved & got old. I decided my Millennium would be a lot more comfortable. I figured I would just put the ladder sticks up first. I guess I better find my climbing belt. Good thing I landed on my head as it is pretty hard. I wasn't out long and when I came around I was staring at the sky. It was very comfortable so I laid there quite a while before the body check. Wiggle the toes & work your way up & around. Everything worked & no blood or bones. I did however invent a new bow hanger so some good came out of it. Pretty sore today but I needed a good beating.

03-Nov-18
Ill throw this out there, if you hunt in pierce county id be more than willing to help with hunting setups, not looking to gain access I have 3000 acres of private land just don't want to see folks get hurt

03-Nov-18
Glad you are ok, looks like you dodged the devil.

03-Nov-18
Yes, Thanks. I am not as smooth as I once was. Very lucky with my back as bad as it is & one knee replaced that I landed OK. It felt like someone clubbed me on the back of my neck & I was out. There was one section laying across my chest that I didn't even notice till I started moving. Better to be lucky than smart.

03-Nov-18
Wow, glad you’re ok. That one looks like it could have ended badly.

03-Nov-18
Wow, in that case, lucky is definitely good. Sorry that you had to deal with that!

03-Nov-18
To our injuried brothers...heal fast gentlemen and get back out there.

Safety - I turned around today to go back for my safety vevst to hook myself in...I contemplated just skipping it. I turned around.

I have been so lucky and Thank the Lord each time. Can happen in a split second...

Hunt safe!

03-Nov-18
Glad you ok Albino, happens fast and hard.

03-Nov-18
Glad there is not another WBH Board position open. Ha

03-Nov-18
As my lovely wife is an ace nurse, she is worried about internal injuries so I am hoping you got checked out. Close friend fell once and when he came to and realized he would be able to walk a ways, he had to figure out where he was. As he layed there he had to first figure out what day it was so he could figure out which stand he was hunting by going through each stand that week.

04-Nov-18
Glad you guys all right. I missed a step on a ladder stand a few years ago and took a good flop. So even them ain’t “fool” proof.

05-Nov-18
Thanks guys, I should have got checked as my lungs felt like they got burnt. I always tell everyone else to get checked but am getting old & stubborn. There is so much pain from before I fell I wouldn't notice. In fact laying there looking up is the best I have felt in a long time but I don't plan on doing it again. Doc won't operate till I can't walk & pain pills do nothing for me. There are very many stories of guys that hit their head, did nothing & never woke up the next day. It did put a bruising on me & my TENS unit is getting a workout but I am doing as well as I can & even sat in a tree today. It does happen fast even if you have done the same thing 1000 times. I am humbled once again.

05-Nov-18
You can make a lifeline yourself. Look up how to tie a prusik (sp) knot

06-Nov-18
Geez Albino, glad you are ok. Extra lucky since you already have the other issues. Gotta admit I really prefer ladder stands now. Unfortunately, they don't conceal as easy and my buddies don't care for them as much.

06-Nov-18
The do stick out. I do have numerous safety lines but you have to get up the tree to tie them in. They work fantastic after that. I should have found my climbing strap.

15-Nov-18
Listen to Albino, another hunting buddy of mine fell today while putting up a stand w/o a safety harness. He is messed up but will walk. Take heed, do not let anyone on your land or camp put up a stand without a lineman belt.

• Sitka Gear