Longcruise 27-Oct-18
Cazador 27-Oct-18
Bow Bullet 27-Oct-18
Orion 27-Oct-18
Cazador 27-Oct-18
Mathewshootrphone 29-Oct-18
Longcruise 30-Oct-18
25-Oct-18
I'm already starting to think about next year and I'm looking to get some insight on archery Bighorn units. I'm sitting with enough weighted points that I believe I would have good odds of drawing out in units S20 or S35 if I applied. But I realize that means they are likely to be tougher to hunt than most sheep units so I'm trying to decide whether to apply for one of these units or try somewhere else. Can anyone with knowledge of either of these units give me information as to what I'd encounter if I drew a tag? I'd like to hear your thoughts on how tough it would it be to get at least one good shooting opportunity and what particular difficulties these units pose. Any specifics for each unit would be greatly appreciated!

If those don't end up appealing to me, there are eight other units where I'd have what I think is a fair chance of drawing (maybe 1 in 4 to 1 in 6 odds, still not that great but a lot better than unit 57 where I live). Those are 9, 12, 32, 39, 44, 49, 51, and 71. Any thoughts on likelihood of having a successful hunt in any of these units would be appreciated also.

I will also note I wouldn't be trophy hunting, just looking for a good representative ram and I'd do a public land DIY hunt, not guided. This is my start of gathering info and I plan to talk with DWP, USFS, etc. too. Thanks!

25-Oct-18
Last time I applied for S20 I had 11 weights. Tag went to someone with way less weights. No matter how I think about it it seems to be random once you have the three points.

25-Oct-18
It’s all random after 3. Doesn’t matter how many points you have. Luck of the draw

25-Oct-18
Weighted points help, but its a way smaller advantage than most people think it is. A person with max weighted points not drawing or a person in their first year of eligibility drawing are both no reason to be surprised.

*EDIT: I guess any time you draw a sheep tag is a surprise :^) especially 4 years from now when all the new applicants from this year have their points.

26-Oct-18
You can talk to bowsite member pav about S35, he had the tag this year.

If I was in the resident pool, I'd pick one of the many units with 10% draw odds or better, that has had a decent success rate, then learn that unit well in the years before you draw. BTW, there is no reason to restrict yourself to the archery-only units. Some of the rifle hunts have better dates, less hunters, and of course you can use a bow on any sheep hunt.

26-Oct-18
I love when guys think they have enough points to draw. They are not preference points.

26-Oct-18
Apparently I'm wrong to think a unit like 35 that had only 14 people with 3 preference points applying for four tags are fairly good odds, even if weighted points may not be the big factor some think they are. I guess I should have left out any reference to my opinion as to my odds of drawing! ;)

Still looking to get info regarding my main question on hunting the units.

26-Oct-18
Thanks for the lead sticksender! I got in touch with pav and he gave me some really good feedback.

26-Oct-18
None of it was meant to be personal, just trying to be informative. Sticksender did give great advice and it's exactly what I have been doing for years. Hopefully I draw in the next few years.

26-Oct-18
Wasn't taking it personally Longcruise. Just seemed the thread was going off on a tangent fast. Any insight for me on S20?

27-Oct-18
I have hunted 20 for elk but not at sheep elevation. But, the thing about 20 is it's very easy to figure by maps. The CPW Hunter's interactive will tell you alot. I have always planned to throw myself into scouting after the draw.

There are a few units that I with my physical capability would not even apply for. S9 for example.

27-Oct-18
My input would be if you’ve never drawn a sheep tag, is to

1. Keep putting in for a sheep unit that has good numbers of sheep and one that archers have taken sheep in.

2. Look into lesser units but get in there years prior to applying to ensure you can find sheep during the season.

Winter range will let you know what the potential is, but don’t forget that some sheep may not even arrive until December or later which puts you in a sheepless unit.

Finally, everyone wants to draw, don’t be the guy who draws a sheep tag in a bad unit just to have a tag.

When you get that tag, your summer should be filled with excitement as should the season.

The way the system is set up now, you will get one chance. Make the best of it.

Good luck, stay the course.

27-Oct-18
Excellent points Cazador. Thanks

27-Oct-18
Cazador you should add do it in the next two to three years before the huge influx of no money up front applicants join the pool

27-Oct-18
My last paragraph addressed that.

29-Oct-18
Don't forget if someone kills a monster than more people will put in for that unit .in any unit It depends on how lucky you are at being at that right place for the shot

30-Oct-18
I figure if someone killed THE monster then go where the monster hasn't been killed yet. :)

• Sitka Gear