XbowfromNY 05-Nov-19
T Mac 07-Nov-19
bas4109 07-Nov-19
pogo 07-Nov-19
bas4109 08-Nov-19
KC 08-Nov-19
bas4109 08-Nov-19
26-Oct-18
I have to wait til Xbow because of a shoulder problem, but was wondering how others were making out.

26-Oct-18
Only shot I would have had was a 4" spike. Needless to say I passed. Have seen 9 bucks though. Now I am sidelined for awhile. Just had gall bladder surgery yesterday. Hoping to heal enough for my upcoming KS trip.

26-Oct-18
I have been out about 6 times and all I see is those small deer that look like someone pet goats. Saw a nice 8 point last week while walking out though. I come home and have a nice 6 point in my driveway checking out a doe.

26-Oct-18
I've been out 7 times, saw a couple yearling bucks. Mostly just getting some fresh air.

26-Oct-18
Pat welcome to NY controlled by the insurance companies who do not want to pay deer collision claims, they control they DEC.

26-Oct-18
Have seen several smaller bucks for the few times I been out. Going to start hitting it hard this week. getting reports over the last few days that the older bucks are starting to move during daylight and some trail cam pics confirm that. Time to be in the woods from here on out as much as possible. Good luck.

27-Oct-18

C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
This latest cold front really got the deer moving during daylight hours. This is probably the best October weather I can remember. I was able to get enough time to travel 45 minutes to a new spot I got this year by absolutely the most incredible luck. The wind and temperature was perfect. Saw lots of activity and ended up taking a really nice buck. There really is no place like Long Island for deer hunting. So many unique habitats and thanks to the exploding deer population there are many places opening up to deer hunting that have been off limits forever. The last few years I have been very fortunate enough to get some really great places to hunt in Suffolk. This buck came in on a trail about seven yards from my stand, after I put an row through him a larger buck came in 15 minutes later and stood there smelling the arrow as I watched blown away. All the years I lived and hunted upstate, planting plots, apple trees and managing land I never saw anything like this. Feeling incredibly fortunate.

27-Oct-18
Congratulations! That's a nice looking buck!

27-Oct-18
Nice buck (read envy). Can't wait til next Saturday, forecast is for a decent day, fingers crossed because here in 8S it's been nothing but rain.

27-Oct-18
Nice buck CB, l'm still making the 220 mile haul from the Island to our place in 7P. Passed on does but still haven't seen a buck ! Heading back up Tuesday, hoping to start to see chasing begin...Tom

27-Oct-18
Beautiful buck CB. Congrats. Things are quiet in my areas. Not seeing much.

01-Nov-18
I saw a big beautiful buck walking on the side of the road last night with his nose in the air and licking his nose. It is was a very busy road too! Halloween magic in the air. Beautiful sight to see. It's starting to happen.

01-Nov-18
Between a big project at work and 2 deaths in the girlfriends family in a week, it has made October tough to find time to hunt. Only 8 sits for me so far in 8H Northern Livingston county (which I'd normally do in the first 2 weeks of oct.) Last thursday I had 6 bucks in range before end of legal including a 130 class 3.5yr old which I let walk even after he stood broadside at 11yards tempting me! Hunting that same woods this past tuesday I encountered the buck I'm after, a 4.5yr old 8pt who might not even be a P&Y type animal but I'm determined to get him or another buck living on the property that might be even older. In those 2 sits I've had yearlings chasing does and more mature bucks just dogging/ nosing them around. I did see a mature buck tending a doe back home on the family farm in Mexico this past weekend though.

01-Nov-18
C. Beck - awesome buck, congrats!! I remember your giant midwest 8pt you posted here a few years ago.

Do you shed hunt the island at all? Seems like it would be a phenomenal place to scoop up big sheds!

01-Nov-18
lots of deer getting whacked by cars. not a deer today while sitting

01-Nov-18
Thats a dandy buck Charlie, congrats!

03-Nov-18

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I’ve shot 2 does so far and passed 8 bucks. I saw one pretty good 4.5 year old I might try and catch up with. Last week I saw 2 different really mature bucks coming out of my properties just before sunrise and just after sunset while driving. I found a few huge rubs yesterday. Tomorrow morning should be good and it’s just going to keep getting better

05-Nov-18
In 7 P it has been very slow, passed up2 shots on does, haven't seen a buck yet...weather is lousy, rains almost every day, ground is saturated. .some of our atv trails are under water. Hope this gets better soon as season is coming to an end...Tom

05-Nov-18
3N super slow

05-Nov-18
Finally got out for Xbow season Saturday afternoon. Saw a yearling buck, and a 2 1/2 year old 8 point with a weird rack. Caught a glimpse of a large rack at about 150 yards but couldn't get a good look. Sunday morning saw 7 does and 3 young buck, but the afternoon was a bust seeing 2 does and one of the young bucks from the morning. Monday afternoon was as bad as Sunday evening with 1 buck and 4 does. One of the neighbors saw a "huge" (his words) buck in my field Friday night, and could have been the rack I saw Saturday morning. I have 11 days til the gun opener, and 25 days til shoulder surgery so I figure I have 24 days to get it done this year. Does are out of the question until a good buck goes down or November 29th whichever comes first.

06-Nov-18
8point - none of that sounds like a bust. sounds like a honey hole of deer sightings to me.

06-Nov-18
Finally saw my first buck 2 days ago, and almost shot a nice 8 last night. He snuck in behind me in the rain. I heard a twig break and when I looked he was broadside in a shooting lane. But I had to do a 180 and get my bow off the hook. He slowly moved away and I didn’t take a couple of iffy shots. Hopefully I see him again or one of my sons gets a shot. Anyhow good to finally see some horns.

07-Nov-18
Xbow Yes, I have a good thing going here, but I feel pressured with a shortened season. Last year I saw my #1 buck 3 times the first part of Oct, and never saw him again until on camera after season closed, and he was 2 1/2 then. Saw him again in velvet this summer but haven't laid eyes on him yet, and around here, not much gets older than 3 1/2 years,

13-Nov-18

T Mac's embedded Photo
My son Evan helped me recover. 70 yard bloodtrail
T Mac's embedded Photo
My son Evan helped me recover. 70 yard bloodtrail
T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo

13-Nov-18
Very nice cool rack! Congrats

13-Nov-18

I had been hunting hard and I decided to stay home Saturday with my wife and girls. I wanted to move a stand in the afternoon and Logan, being an awesome wife said I should just sit once I moved it. Well, I didn’t get finished with the set and have my bow pulled up until 3:25. At 3:30 I look over and this massive bodied buck is heading my way. I’m not really ready and he either catches some movement or a little whiff in a wind swirl. He starts to turn to circle downwind and bring my bow between me and the tree to his side as I draw in one motion. He stops and looks my way but the arrow is already gone and it’s a perfect hit. He ran less than 100 yards to his final resting place. It was over in seconds. It has made passing so many younger bucks this season worth it. The best part was that it was still light enough for the girls to come check it out with me. The deer dressed out at 187#’s, which would put his live weight between 235 and 245 pounds. Tooth wear indicates he’s 4.5, which is younger than I expected for his size,but I’m going to send a tooth to the lab for actual age. This is one of the biggest bodied deer I’ve killed here in NY and I just feel so blessed.

13-Nov-18

13-Nov-18

It barely fit on a magnum deer cart.

14-Nov-18

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
The buck I passed. Hes got an inline tine on his right and a split g4 on his left, but no brows. Hes a young buck with excellent potential!
The buck I passed. Hes got an inline tine on his right and a split g4 on his left, but no brows. Hes a young buck with excellent potential!
The buck I'd really like to notch my tag with
The buck I'd really like to notch my tag with
Whatta tank Greg!

Congrats everyone who has been successful!!

I have made it out 14 or so sits this season. Haven't been able to close the deal on a target buck yet. Have had some excellent opportunities at some nice bucks along the way though. Including a nicely racked 3.5yr old. He would have been my best scoring bow kill had I decided to take him.

However I've had my heart set on 2 other bucks on the property, one of which I know is 4.5yrs old, a knarly 8pt. Had one semi- shot opportunity at him but it was 38 yards facing so I opted to wait for a better shot angle and it never happened. Haven't seen him since besides on camera or right at dark.

Finally took a doe this past sunday. Was thankful for a quick clean kill. She didn't make it 30 yards. About to pickle her heart tonight after work!

14-Nov-18
great bucks!

14-Nov-18
Congratulations on a wonderful buck!

14-Nov-18

14-Nov-18

15-Nov-18
Great deer guys, Greg just curious, liver and opposite lung ? ...Tom

15-Nov-18
Great deer guys, Greg just curious, liver and opposite lung ? ...Tom

16-Nov-18
The shit show begins tomorrow. Glad I am on the road and hunting out of state for the 10 days.

16-Nov-18
T ZEKE- it was actually almost center of both lungs, just a hair above dead center height wise and just behind center. The shot was a little high, a little back and nearly level but I was in front of the diaphragm. The shot was broadside. I instantly knew I was a touch high but blood was pouring out immediately. I had just got up in the tree and it Halle d so fast that I had a split second to guess distance and make the shot. I figured 35-38 but it was 32 yards. The deer didn’t make it 100 yards and was down in less than 10 seconds.

16-Nov-18
Ok I can see now where entrance wound was, got fooled a little by camera angle..nice job !...Tom

17-Nov-18

RONO's embedded Photo
RONO's embedded Photo

17-Nov-18

RONO's embedded Photo
RONO's embedded Photo
HANDCOCK,NY

17-Nov-18

25-Nov-18

NY Bowhunter's embedded Photo
NY Bowhunter's embedded Photo
After 38 years of bowhunting took this buck on 11/4/18. My largest New York State Buck to date... Harvested in Schuyler County (8w) on Stateland.. 10pt 147# he was aged by a DEC Biologist at 3.5....

25-Nov-18
Awesome buck NY Bowhunter! Congratulations!

26-Nov-18
Great buck, what about the details ? How far a shot? Placement ? Blood trail ? How much did it weigh ? What equipment used ? Ect....Tom

26-Nov-18
Great buck, what about the details ? How far a shot? Placement ? Blood trail ? How much did it weigh ? What equipment used ? Ect....Tom

26-Nov-18
TZeke, he went about 70 yards, took out top of the heart and both lungs.. blood trail was very easy to follow lots blood.. I’m shooting a Hoyt Charger set at 60# my arrow of choice is a Easton N-fused carbon 3rd Generation axis 260 11.3 gpi.. topped off with a 100 gr. Grim reaper whitetail special.. he was busy chasing 2 doe and I shot him at 30yards..

26-Nov-18
Good kill, congrats !...Tom

15-Oct-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
Saddle Hunt. 49# Herb Meland Pronghorn Longbow. 10 yd shot. 3 blade snuffer. Dbl lung. Ice breaker - now on to antlers

15-Oct-19

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo

15-Oct-19
Congrats nice doe.

15-Oct-19
Very nice ! Heat up the skillet.

16-Oct-19
killem and grillem... love it!

26-Oct-19

So far I took a nice doe in the rain at 24 yards with my recurve

26-Oct-19

A nice one in VT with my compound

26-Oct-19

A another from my saddle at 22 yards with my recurve..., again in the rain

28-Oct-19

woodsman's embedded Photo
woodsman's embedded Photo
10/28. 15 yard shot, went about 30 yards.

28-Oct-19
Way to go woodsman...... nice buck.

29-Oct-19
Thanks Tom.

29-Oct-19
Very nice ! Been seeing some nice bucks trailing does for over a week now but no shots. They are tearing up the woods here in 7M.

29-Oct-19
Our leaf drop in 7M last week really triggered the scraping and movement. It has been very warm in the eves, mornings are nice. I have a nasty cold....hard to keep quiet. Deer are very spread out in the timber here. All small bucks so far. I head to KY on Friday. Hope I can get out before rifle when I get back.

30-Oct-19
Some great bucks. Nice job guys!!

04-Nov-19

A big doe offered me a shot with my recurve that I couldn’t pass up.

05-Nov-19
Nice doe skip!

05-Nov-19

XbowfromNY's embedded Photo
Finally got a good one in 3N. 11/2 - opening day of xbow, so I brought the old excalibur vortex out instead of my mathews. Shot this guy at 19 yards from the ground making an aggressive scrape. I waited till he picked his head up to rack the tree branches and shot him through his "front shirt pocket". Full pass through- exited behind ribs in front of hip. He went 16 yards and died in sight immediately. 151lbs dressed weight at the butcher. 94" gross score.

07-Nov-19

T Mac's embedded Photo
T Mac's embedded Photo
11/3 evening hunt my son Evan was in a different stand and I hit back a bit. Evan texted me and said back out quietly and not to worry the truck would not be leaving without me. Wise words for a 15 yr old!

07-Nov-19

bas4109's embedded Photo
bas4109's embedded Photo
I shot this buck on 11/5 at 12:45 right after the rain stopped.

07-Nov-19
Awesome buck Bruce!

08-Nov-19
Thanks pogo.

08-Nov-19
saw your pic on fishfinder with that buck. Nice

08-Nov-19
Thanks KC.

• Sitka Gear